PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous oxide

DORIGHT
02-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Can I ask for some help and info on Nitrous here or will I get Flamed?

HEAVYBOAT
02-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Using a Blower and NOS together? If so, I have some information to share on that topic.

Rock-it man
02-03-2004, 01:16 PM
I love NOS and have used it a lot in many motors,just do it right . In a boat with an out drive you MUST use a progressive controler or the drive is toast !!!!!!! and NEVER run it lean !!!! or the motor will be toast also !! Nos with a blower works great ,the power output will change based on the cubic inches and type of blower used . Just remember theres no room for mistakes with NOS so be carefull and get it right the first time. A 200 hp pill with a 1471 Blower got me to 137.1 mph in a Datona 26 and it was great . So go for it !!!!!! Alls fair in the quest for SPEED !!!!!!!:D
ROCKIT MAN

superdave013
02-03-2004, 02:07 PM
ask away, that's what this place is for.
Plus I wanna hear Heavyboats info.

DORIGHT
02-03-2004, 04:58 PM
Well Here's the Deal
I bought this old Weind Tunnel ram with a Pro shot Fogger set up and it has Two big Spray bars inside the intake that run Down the middle of it for both carbs I have seen maney of these manifolds since buying this one with the spray bars but I dont know what they are rated at as the previous owner never used them he said, He only used the Fogger's.
So any way kinda looking for some info about the spray bars if any one remembers that old type and How hard are those Selonoids to rebuild I see on the NOS online sight they offer rebuild kits for them and I kinda think I should over haul my selonoids prior to trying the stuff on my new engine.
No Blower, I wish, Have to waite a little longer before I can get one at least until the house is done being built.
Engine is a Hi comp .100 over BB chev mk6 Twin 1050 Dominator's
Full roller .730-.730, Custom crank, and rods, Merlin heads Ross custom nitrous pistons. Ect.. Ect..

VD CRUISER
02-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Hey Heavyboat, You can share that nitrous with blower information with the rest of us. I'm looking for something to make up for the hot, humid air we have here in the summer.

HEAVYBOAT
02-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by VD CRUISER
Hey Heavyboat, You can share that nitrous with blower information with the rest of us. I'm looking for something to make up for the hot, humid air we have here in the summer.
Unfortunately this is just an example I witnessed this summer with using nos with a roots blower, and not to much technical information to go along with it.
I was a contemplating using nos on top of my GAS roots blower 2 summers ago. A buddy of mine who runs a 66 chevelle with a pump gas 632 and a fogger gave me John Plyipps phone number to discuss the idea.( by the way my buddy just got picked to be one of 50 competitors in the hotrods pump gas fastest street car in America drags in Memphis) Heres a pic of his pump gas 632. http://66283.150m.com/TheHookup/fogger09.gif
And the event www.hotrod.com I knew all along that you Americans truly do love us Canadians :wink:
So anyways, John is a nitrous guru down at Nitrous Express and he makes some trick spray bars for the blower carb adapters..(Above the blower) Actually he said just to send down the adapter your currently using and he would make one out of that.
The norm for using nitrous is of course using nos jets with fuel jets. That set up (done properly) has people using a dedicated fuel system just for the nitrous. A small pump, reg and fuel cell. Now here’s the twist…. since your setting up a “system” already for the fuel aspect side of your new blower/nitrous system, who said you have to use gas?
John’s suggestion was to run the NOS with ALKY in the spray bars instead of race gas, We all know how well the Alky cools the roots intake charge immensely in the blown alky combos, so why not steal that principal with us guys who burn gasoline on our roots.
Myself being a chicken shit, and feeling a little intimidated with the possible tuning nightmare, I bailed on the idea. But by total coincidence a guy at my local racetrack did not. He also contacted John at nitrous express and went ahead with the plan.
His combo was a GAS 572ci, 1071 Bds nonintercooled 1000+hp deal. He ran that car into the low nines in the 147MPH range, motor/blower. The first time I watched him spraying the nitrous/alky set up on top of his roots later that day, it ran slower.. poppin and bangin all the way down the track. I was probably on my 5 or 6 coors light by then sitting in the stands, so I would be lying if I said I wasn’t laughing at the tune up.
But think about it, this is a different deal going on here. First off.. you jet/tune the motor/blower then you tune the nitrous system by doing the math for your nos/fuel ratio. That’s simple.. Now the kicker… how do you know what the ALKY and NOS will do to the intake charge. How much cooler will the charge be? .. Where the hell do you start with the tune? No manual or tech line to help you in this department.
Next run. It comes out of the hole like a rocket, I can tell hes really movin and then at half-track BOOM!! I’m telling you, I thought that thing was gonna be in 5 million pieces by the sound of the bang. Down to the pits to find out he only blew his burst panel. Hes done for the day. But why is this guy smiling from ear to ear when his car is banging all the way down the track? I tell you why… he had a glimse of his 1\8 mile timeslip and it was unreal.
The next time he ran his car, he must have figured it all out by then.He ran an amazing 8.1 at 181 MPH! And that was with only 300 hp nos jets.Just a reminder his blower only combo ran 147 mph. My math tells me it would take well over 500 hp to gain anywhere close to those stats :eek:
So IMO with nitrous and roots blowers, if a guy can nail down a safe tune, bloody well hang on!! :D
The car I’m talking about…..
http://www.ghazaracing.com/

wsuwrhr
02-03-2004, 10:30 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/63Mvc-012f-med.jpg
You need one of these to hold your bottle.
Brian

DORIGHT
02-04-2004, 05:40 AM
I like that Bracket but it looks like thats a 10lb bottle I have three 20 lb bottles.
This isnt going to be a little kids Toy NOS system,
The Spray bars witch is the first Stage Im guessing here but I wanna say they are atleast possible to go to 400hp
and I know Im under guessing it, as it has Pro shot Selonoids.
The 2nd stage I know is a Pro shot Fogger worth 600hp
I was planning a NOS Controller and a Fuel system That had at least four fuel pump's, all on Race gas Engine on Race gas as well not stingy but engine will be 13.5 to 1.

wsuwrhr
02-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by DORIGHT
I like that Bracket but it looks like thats a 10lb bottle I have three 20 lb bottles.
This isnt going to be a little kids Toy NOS system,
The Spray bars witch is the first Stage Im guessing here but I wanna say they are atleast possible to go to 400hp
and I know Im under guessing it, as it has Pro shot Selonoids.
The 2nd stage I know is a Pro shot Fogger worth 600hp
I was planning a NOS Controller and a Fuel system That had at least four fuel pump's, all on Race gas Engine on Race gas as well not stingy but engine will be 13.5 to 1.
Rings are available for all sizes of bottles. 2, 2-1/2, 5,10,15,20lb.
Dual mounts are available for the 10/15/20lb bottles.
Brian

wsuwrhr
02-04-2004, 09:43 PM
I will have a picture of the 20lb setup as soon as the brown truck comes my way.
Brian

DORIGHT
02-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Never seen the Triple that would be cool :D
I have seen the Dual 20lb I liked that one.
I guess no one here has Rebuilt those selonoids before?
And no info on that spraybar I was describing?

wsuwrhr
02-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by DORIGHT
Never seen the Triple that would be cool :D
I have seen the Dual 20lb I liked that one.
I guess no one here has Rebuilt those selonoids before?
And no info on that spraybar I was describing?
Triple ey? How much room you got? I can make anything you want.....
Brian

DORIGHT
02-05-2004, 06:37 AM
Plenty of room as IM only putting two seats in the hull,
(18 Young blood tunnel) Wife and Kids wont ride in it, at least my oldest wont ride in it.
He claims he Likes it, but when he's in the Bahner He's scared shitless. With 750 hp it only goes 75 with the pump the way it is, Need to fix that. (Like to just sell it)
When I met My wife she claimed to love speed boat's (Ya rite)
I got her in it and she found out what a speed boat was, Needless to say she doesn't like REAL speed boats, She thought her uncles bass boat was a speed boat.
She thinks IM Insane, IM not Insane, I just want to have a Dragster and go out and enjoy it without being harassed by the Police, Well those wear the old days now Lake patrol is all over the place, speed limits going up and all, Noise laws, And you cant enjoy a beer any more.
Being an American in a Communist country

Infomaniac
02-05-2004, 07:20 AM
I'm not going to be any help with the spray bar thing.
Anyone else?

quiet riot
02-05-2004, 09:30 PM
Doright, the solonoids are really simple. If you get the rebuild kit or just open them they are pretty straight forward. I've opened mine just to look (take the big nut off) and they have always been fine in the 5 years I've used it. I've been told just to make sure the nos filter screen is in place on the inlet side of the nos sol. Use a good fuel filter before the fuel solonoid and avoid the methanal/alcohol type fuel additives on the standard fuel solonoids as that degrades the seals. Keep all petrolium based products away from the nos side of the system and use teflon on the male part of the pipe threads to keep the inside clean.
And always relieve the pressure from the solonoids when not in use. I do this by switching the bottle valve off for the nos system, but still leave it armed and hit the gas for a second while running to drain the nos side, then disarm the system which shuts off the fuel pump in my setup.
As far as the spray bars, I think you should be able to count the # of holes in them and then reference them to which series they are. For example, the dual bigshot from nos has a 64 hole spray bar and is rated 200-400 hp depending on jetting. The cheater has far less holes and is rated 150-250 hp depending on the jetting. The solonoids could also give a clue as to which series of spray bars are in there, but I wouldn't souly rely on that as someone could have changed them. Up to cheater series uses a set of solonoids, big shot and up uses the pro series. This is for a nos system of course.
If this is a nos system, give them a call with the hole count as they will tell you which system and what year as some of them changed. Their tech help is top notch and will give you great specifics relating to base jetting for timing, fuel octane and gravity for your appl. They are now a division of holley and their # is on holley's web site.
jd
ps. the techs get kinda twitchy when you start talking high comp with nos, make sure and get their advice because with a 13.5:1 static, and you add a lotta nos, you're compressing a lot denser charge than normal, similar to a blower setup.

DORIGHT
02-06-2004, 06:18 AM
quiet riot
So you have rebuilt your solenoids Cool, I read that on the web site that it could be done but have never ran into any one that had done it.
I think as long as mine has been sitting it would be well worth rebuilding them prior to using them.
The Spray Bars in this Manifold don't have very many holes but they are large holes, Since I bought this one I. Evan purchased another with the same spray bar installation in it.
Something Weind and NOS did together I think as both manifold instals are Identical, Both are for 4500 series carbs.
Yea My static is going to be very hi, But initial 1st stage will be a small shot 125hp a 2nd shot threw the Fogger at about around 200-250hp Max.
This would be conservative in my opinion, And as big as I would go with the stuff.
I also planned initial testing with smaller Jetting till bugs are worked out.
(learning curve)
My opinion with Hi comp is I wont have to run the NOS as much to get the HP out of the engine all the time.
But when I do a 250hp shot gives a good curve on the Desk top dyno That doesn't get really weird,

DORIGHT
02-06-2004, 06:28 AM
Is it still possible to post pics at this web site and link pics?
I could post some pics of the manifold if so

superdave013
02-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/63Mvc-012f-med.jpg
You need one of these to hold your bottle.
Brian
Nice spam there young man. :)
Come see these brackets this sunday at the Long Beach Swapmeet space # 770.
(lil more spam for ya Brian.)

quiet riot
02-06-2004, 09:19 PM
If there aren't a lot of holes you're prob looking at cheater or maybe even a powershot type deal. I didn't actually replace anything on my solonoids yet as they looked great when apart and I've had no issues. I just put em back together and still using them.
Sounds pretty conservative on the hp levels, I did the same thing with my cheater system. started off at the small setting and worked up, playing with timing and such. I read the plugs after shutting down at the end of the runs at the drags and looked at times/mph to judge effects and I've had decent luck. I know I could lean the jetting out for the fuel on the nos system as it runs it a little rich but it keeps it safe and my ignition burns it off good so I've left it there.
This was on a 10:1 motor and now I'm gonna try it on my 12.2:1 motor and see how it goes. Same idea, get a lot more outta the motor before the nos so I won't need it as much for lake use, mainly just for drags or the occasional lake race.
jd

DORIGHT
02-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Jd
Thats my idea If its Hi comp. then Ill run good fuel so no need for extra seprate tank, And only run NOS when needed in a Drag race.
Im real happy with my lill engine as is and this new engine is bigger with more comp.
Putting it on the Giggle juice will just keep me in reach of the Big Dogs when they come out to play.
And I have no problem with going really big with the Jetting when I need too as Im building the engine for it, That way their is less chance of Damaging it.