PDA

View Full Version : commander problems

commandergirl
02-04-2004, 09:28 AM
i was wondering if anyone has a commander boat. we bought a 24 signature in june 2003 and have had nothing but problems. The boat is supposed to go 63-65 mph and has never gone over 50 mph. we just want our boat to run like a brand new boat should. Has anyone had or are having problems with commander?

Freak
02-04-2004, 09:30 AM
This outta be good.

gnarley
02-04-2004, 09:35 AM
Welcome Commandergirl, you came to the right place.
How many hours, which engine, what drive, what prop, what drive ratio and what are the RPM's at top speed? And are you trimming the drive up after you have gotten onto plane?

HTM4ME
02-04-2004, 09:44 AM
commandergirl i hope u get it figured out am having similar problems with a HTM i will let u knw if i get anything solved i have had about as much luck with customer service at HTM as if i was talking to a box of rocks good luck

commandergirl
02-04-2004, 09:44 AM
do you have any info?

HTM4ME
02-04-2004, 09:51 AM
I have been to a few shops and they all say is ok but i cant trust Utah bayliner mecahnics. I changed my plugs wires dist cap and oter with no luck so i dont u have u tried different props u should post your info moter prop gear ratio rpm ybe some one on here will know what to tell u

commandergirl
02-04-2004, 09:54 AM
im not sure about everything, my boyfriend knows everything. the boat probably has 30 hours. but ever since the governor was taken off, its been like that. we mess with the trim , we have tried everything. commander said they took it out on the lake and couldn't get it over 50 mph . they changed the prop too. nothing has worked. the say we need a new motor but mercruiser told us commander needs to do tests to make sure its not an installation problem. mercruiser also said commander has made no attempts to fix this. just for this problem the boat has been there since october and nothing has been done. now mercruiser say they are not mercruiser certified and to take the boat to someone else. we think commander should fix the problem. The owner is a liar and keeps telling us that it will only be two more weeks. hes been saying that since october

HTM4ME
02-04-2004, 09:57 AM
MAYBE COMMANDER AND HTM WENT TO THE SAME CUSTOMER SERVICE COURSE

beer hunter
02-04-2004, 12:00 PM
If you are in the So Cal area, take the boat to Quality Performance Marine (909 735-5503) in Corona. These guys are factory authorized mercruiser mechanics and know their sh!t :)

Kilrtoy
02-04-2004, 12:21 PM
What size engine, drive , prop
need to know so you can get a better answer.....

LAVEYSABRE575
02-04-2004, 12:33 PM
HTM4ME WHICH HTM DO U OWN WHAT SIZE MOTOR, DRIVE PROP?

OGShocker
02-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by beer hunter
If you are in the So Cal area, take the boat to Quality Performance Marine (909 INO-SHIT) in Corona. These guys are factory authorized mercruiser mechanics and know their sh!t :)
Yes they do know SHIT! My boat has been there three times for an oil leak in the stock 496HO. They're knowledge of shit is well documented. I saw the owner two times at the LA Boat Show and both times he turned away from me.
People who know me from the forums know, I DO NOT flame as a rule but, for F**K sake, three times for an oil leak?
Commandergirl; I found Brian at B&D Marine (626) 443-3721 is by far the most customer service minded guy in the "boat shop" business. He might be able to help.
Freak; Do you think my post will help to stir the s**t?

ROZ
02-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
I hope so...It's been really boring around these parts lately:D

Ziggy
02-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by commandergirl
The owner is a liar and keeps telling us that it will only be two more weeks. hes been saying that since october
I don't think Sy is a liar, out and out but rather he gets misinformed by his not so brilliant at times crew. Also, remember that claimed top speeds are usually factored with perfect water, air and boat load conditions. My 23LX runs about 2-5mph slower than the claimed speed but Steve told me up front that realistically I'd be seeing speeds more around the upper 50's. It has been true sofar to what he said and not what the brochures can claim. If I could squeeze the last few hundred rpm out of the engine that Mercruiser says it should do then the 62-63mph claim would be attainable.
Good luck with getting your stuff straightened out , sounds like a engine management problem if it happened after you took the governor out.

THATJEFFGUY
02-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Commandergirl...first of all I would suggest that you not take anything back to Commander Boats for repairs. This is the second Commander I've owned, and definitely the LAST !!! Sy is actually a pretty honest guy but he has a bunch of f'n idiots working in the back that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground..so unfortunately he only relays to the customer what his monkeys tell him. I would have the engine checked out by a qualified mechanic first and see what he tells you. Keep in mind, Commander doesn't have the best or fastest hull design out there so I'm sure that's playing a factor in your speed. Also, have the installation location of the drive checked...I have talked to 2 different Commander owners who found later that their drive was installed either too low or too high. Again, I'd stay away from that circus out in Perris, unless you want your boat in worse shape than it is now !! Just my $.02

beer hunter
02-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Yes they do know SHIT! My boat has been there three times for an oil leak in the stock 496HO. They're knowledge of shit is well documented. I saw the owner two times at the LA Boat Show and both times he turned away from me.
People who know me from the forums know, I DO NOT flame as a rule but, for F**K sake, three times for an oil leak?
Commandergirl; I found Brian at B&D Marine (626) Bad-Luck is by far the most customer service minded guy in the "boat shop" business. He might be able to help.
Maybe it's the boat and not the motor :D j/k Sorry you haven't had a good experience with CPM, but they have always addressed any problems I’ve had in a very professional manner :)

SummerBreeze
02-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Are you dragging you anker??
Or maybe your emergency brake is on. Check the cable it could be even to tight and you don't even know is on...but it is.
Just kidding sorry to hear your having trouble

rivercrazy
02-04-2004, 03:27 PM
I'm kinda confused on the whole Governer thing. The only thing I am aware of is the rev limiter controlled by computer on the newer Merc Motors. Without reprogramming the computer by a reputable source, I don't think you could reprogram it.

stoker
02-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Are you sure the trailer is not still attached to the boat? I have heard a story of a Bayliner owner who disconnected the trailer and boat from the truck and later complained to the dealer that the boat would not get on plane :confused: J/K Hopefully Commander steps up and takes care of you!

HTM4ME
02-04-2004, 03:57 PM
I AM RUNNING A 502 EFI RAN PROPS FROM 20 26 NOTHING CHANGED THE RPM WONT GO OVER 4000 I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO TRYbut

mirvin
02-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by HTM4ME
I AM RUNNING A 502 EFI RAN PROPS FROM 20 26 NOTHING CHANGED THE RPM WONT GO OVER 4000 I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO TRYbut
How bout you try and stop yelling at everyone:D
Mirvin;)

OutCole'd
02-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
How bout you try and stop yelling at everyone:D
Mirvin;)
Mirvin, Back off & let the guy vent, obviously he is frustrated.:D :D

beer hunter
02-04-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by stoker
Are you sure the trailer is not still attached to the boat?
LMAO..... I was going to post that same thing but went the nice guy route:D

Kilrtoy
02-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Sounds like a possible shit started,
Why start a thread asking for help and then disappear.....

OGShocker
02-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Maybe it's the boat and not the motor :D j/k Sorry you haven't had a good experience with CPM, but they have always addressed any problems I’ve had in a very professional manner :)
Hmmmm... I never knew a boat could leak oil..... Of course I knew a beer hunter either. :D

beer hunter
02-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Of course I knew a beer hunter either. :D
It's a play on words....Deer Hunter/Beer Hunter
We'll have to hook up sometime (maybe a Catalina run) and I'll show you how to hunt for beer, usually in my cooler :D

mirvin
02-04-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by OutCole'd
Mirvin, Back off & let the guy vent, obviously he is frustrated.:D :D
I know I know, but some guys are always yellin and besides aren't we tryin to play nice and all?:D
I'd be frustrated too!! I was gonna say maybe he should give up on trying to get HTM to fix it and just buck up and take it to a real pro, but, what the hell do I know? Really, I'm serious, If I knew enough about this stuff I'd be giving advice about it;)
Mirvin

boatnam2
02-04-2004, 05:00 PM
im calling the bullshit card.

OGShocker
02-04-2004, 05:30 PM
It's a play on words....Deer Hunter/Beer Hunter
We'll have to hook up sometime (maybe a Catalina run) and I'll show you how to hunt for beer, usually in my cooler :D
We (Dana Boats) on the water this weekend, I drink Captain & Pepsi, usually from my cooler;) ... Won't be in our boat, B & D will have it this weekend.:frown:

RUCAV
02-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Commander Girl. Why dont you do a search on these boards for Commander and see what you come up with. The info I found on these boards is why I didnt give them a second look. When that many people are saying the same thing, I start to give it some credibility. Also, a good friend bought his Commander before I bought my Ultra. He is good friends with the owner's son, Steve. He still tells me their customer service sucks and it's barely been one year since he bought it.
Sell it and run why you still can.

CAHotRodBoy
02-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
I'm curious as to what "governor" they took out??
RD
Me too. Was that back when Davis was in office or Arnold? :D
Did they have security boats follow you? :D :D :D :p

Kilrtoy
02-04-2004, 06:18 PM
Me too. Was that back when Davis was in office or Arnold?
LOL:D

SLAPPING_GLASS
02-04-2004, 08:11 PM
was wondering did you state what size motor you have did not see it if you did,also what kind of rpm are you pulling.And to htm guy who has been changing props from 20 to 26 are you also changing the pitch......to go along with tryi gto increase rpm woould have to think you should be pulling 4800 to 5200.I hjave a 21 1/2 open bow toronado by after shock with the 6.2 liter in it cant remember the pitch and lenght of prop but i pull about 5000 rpm ad run at about 65.Also I was wondering when these boat manufactures to there speed test are they running on saly water which will give you aboput 5 miles an hour

SLAPPING_GLASS
02-04-2004, 08:13 PM
excuse the miss spelled words fingers go a little crazy sometimes that last reply was do they run there test on salt water now saly water

cigarette1
02-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by SLAPPING_GLASS
was wondering did you state what size motor you have did not see it if you did,also what kind of rpm are you pulling.And to htm guy who has been changing props from 20 to 26 are you also changing the pitch......to go along with tryi gto increase rpm woould have to think you should be pulling 4800 to 5200.I hjave a 21 1/2 open bow toronado by after shock with the 6.2 liter in it cant remember the pitch and lenght of prop but i pull about 5000 rpm ad run at about 65.Also I was wondering when these boat manufactures to there speed test are they running on saly water which will give you aboput 5 miles an hour
WHAT?

Dr. Eagle
02-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
I'm curious as to what "governor" they took out??
RD
Give the Governor a "Harumph"..... Blazing Saddles....
Oh crap....wrong thread....
;)

Kachina26
02-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by cigarette1
WHAT? Have a few beers cig, it'll make more sense then. Maybe:confused:

BoatFloating
02-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Commandergirl; I found Brian at B&D Marine (626) 443-3721 is by far the most customer service minded guy in the "boat shop" business. He might be able to help.
OG, I couldn't agree with you more. I took my boat to Rob at Quality Marine for the same problem on a new 496HO. 3X in for the oil leak and he couldn't find the problem and he even pulled motor out and couldn't find the problem. I took it to Temecula Marine center and first time there they found problem. It was a rear main seal leak.

SLAPPING_GLASS
02-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Ok fine my mistake then is htm also changing how much blade there is.There is 2 things to consider with props pitch and how ong the blades are. I did nt know if he was talking about pitch or how long the blades were.But I guess after thinking about it a prop 26 across would be pretty damn big...

SLAPPING_GLASS
02-04-2004, 11:25 PM
No i do not have any pics of my boat at least not yet.But if yuou go to there website and take a look at there 21 1/2 ft Skier take away the back to back seating and have a longer open bow such as the 23 1/2 open bow toronado you can get a good idea..

boxscore
02-04-2004, 11:26 PM
Ok fine my mistake then is htm also changing how much blade there is.There is 2 things to consider with props pitch and how ong the blades are. I did nt know if he was talking about pitch or how long the blades were.But I guess after thinking about it a prop 26 across would be pretty damn big...
HEH? :confused:

syke-o
02-04-2004, 11:28 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

boxscore
02-04-2004, 11:31 PM
Of course you need no first figure out why the motor is not running max RPM's.... Mercruiser mechanic is the first stop. Once the motor RUNS... then, evaluate whether you like the hull/customer service from Commander. If you don't, and are able to cut bait and want to enjoy a quality boating existence, look up Ultra (John West), or Laveycraft. They'll help you with your boat and set you up with kick-ass summer after kick-ass summer.

SLAPPING_GLASS
02-05-2004, 01:08 AM
Besides prop pitch they also measure the prop form tip to tip across.Now do you follow

SLAPPING_GLASS
02-05-2004, 01:48 AM
So not only does prop pitch affect rpm but so does the tip to tip length.I forget which way it works off the top of my head but i believe an increase in tip to tip will decrease rpm by 100 .When you jump up from a lets say 17 pitch to a 19 your rpm jumps up aprox 300 rpm so if you were running a 15x17 prop at 4700 rpm and you wanted to be at 4900 rpm wot. You want an increase of 200 rpm. So you would go to a 16x19 16 tip to tip would decrease your rpm by 100 but a 19 pitch would be 300 more rpm for a total increase of 200 rpm correct.
RPM GOAL 4900 WOT
Strating prop 15x17=4700 RPM
Need RPM increase of 200
so we add 1 inch to tip to tip drops RPM BY 100
Now we change pitch to 19 add 300 rpm
walla 4900 RPM
Or is all of this visa versa
LOL:D

Freak
02-05-2004, 04:14 AM
Thanks for starting my day with some good laughs guys. I love this place.

Essex502
02-05-2004, 06:56 AM
Slapping Glass - try this book:
Propellor Handbook (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0071573232/ref=ase_polsonenterpriseA/002-8174548-2767245?v=glance&s=books)

Essex502
02-05-2004, 06:56 AM
BTW....proper term is not tip to tip lenght but "diameter".

OGShocker
02-05-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
BTW....proper term is not tip to tip lenght but "diameter".
Thank you for backing me up on this! I have been telling the Mrs, "it's all about the diameter" for years!

Essex502
02-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Not if you have "2 tips"! :D I think you're referring to "girth" as the proper term for what you have in mind! :eek:

Sandbar Mike
02-05-2004, 07:14 AM
Boy I tell you guys, here are some people who should'nt be allowed to purchase a boat. This is some scary shit.
You purchase a boat that should be capable of 70mph but only getting 50, and you have it sitting at Commander, I tell you what commander is doing, If it sits there for long enough the warranty will run out, then Sy can bend you over like most of his repeat customers. What should you do???hhhmmmmm
Boatnam, I think I'm with you on the possible bullshit call.

OGShocker
02-05-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
Not if you have "2 tips"! :D I think you're referring to "girth" as the proper term for what you have in mind! :eek:
Damn it! That's why she starts laughing;)
Girth
GIrTH
GIRTH!!!
Say a word three times and you own it!

Essex502
02-05-2004, 10:37 AM
YOu may own it but do you "resemble" it! :D :D :D