PDA

View Full Version : American Flag Etiquette

clownpuncher
02-04-2004, 01:22 PM
I saw some mention of this topic in another thread. Thought I would start a seperate thread. After all, She deserves her own :D Posting this info in the same thread as the stripper's would be doing Old Glory a disservice.
American Flag Etiquette (http://www.usflag.org/flag.etiquette.html)
Take from it what you will. I respect those that fly her, even thought they may be at a loss for the proper way. I'm a guy that looks at a person's intent, rather than what is actual.
Fly her proud :D :D

NOTALENT
02-04-2004, 01:28 PM
Damn Straight...Love it or Leave it...And for all those fockers flying the mexico flags here. Get the Hell Out!!!!!!!!!

Ziggy
02-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Bropb16
Damn Straight...Love it or Leave it...And for all those fockers flying the mexico flags here. Get the Hell Out!!!!!!!!!
Its ok to fly another flag but if memory serves me correct, the secondary flag IS NOT supposed to be flying higher or larger than our Nations Flag, whether on the same lanyard or on adjacent pole.
Bropb16, I agree with you on the ones that fly solo....1st things first, RED/WHITE/BLUE, then go ahead and fly your other flags as governed by the Flag Etiquette.

mirvin
02-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Usually when you purchase a flag there's a little info card included that gives you the proper proceedures.
Did you guys know that you're supposed to "retire" a flag when it gets ratty and that the proper way to do it is to BURN IT? You can take it to any American Legion and they will do a cerimonial flag torching for ya!!
Mirvin;)

NashvilleBound
02-04-2004, 02:08 PM
We have a 6X12 flying 24/7 here at the ranch. No light at night, its just always a nice respectfull reminder of our great country!

mirvin
02-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by NashvilleBound
We have a 6X12 flying 24/7 here at the ranch. No light at night, its just always a nice respectfull reminder of our great country!
I don't know NashvilleBound, officially you're supposed to put a light on it at night and it shouldn't get left out in "inclement weather":D
But hey, who's gonna make ya?;)
Mirvin:cool:

AdrenelineOD
02-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Brother inlaw is in Iraq. he sends me pics of people who tried to kill him.
I use proper flag edicet. just not proper spelling. USA#1
P.S. cant show those pics are u crazy!!!!:wink:

Essex502
02-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
I don't know NashvilleBound, officially you're supposed to put a light on it at night and it shouldn't get left out in "inclement weather":D
But hey, who's gonna make ya?;)
Flying in inclement weather is okay if the flag is weatherproof.

Bow Tie Omega
02-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Actually, I was a member of 2 different honor guards while on active duty in the military and the flag was not to be outdoors during inclimate weather. I know that there is an exception to the rule during wartime in the battlefield

twistedpair
02-04-2004, 04:48 PM
I know his intentions were probably good, but this is not proper flag etiquette
http://www.nfl.com/u/superbowl/photos/superbowl622_lower.jpg

mirvin
02-04-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by twistedpair
I know what you mean Twisted!! I mean, come on, he's got the thing upsidown for cripes sake!!:D :D :D
Mirvin;) (knows the flag may never be worn as clothing)

MagicMtnDan
02-04-2004, 06:08 PM
I fly the Grand Old Flag every day during the daylight hours only and never in inclement weather.
If you're gonna fly the flag, please do it right. Millions of brave Americans have died for our freedom and to keep this country strong.
Are you familiar with this picture? Do you know where it was taken?
http://www.iwojima.com/raising/lflage.gif

INXS
02-04-2004, 06:14 PM
He knew it's not proper to use it like that!
INXS

Havasu Cig
02-04-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
I fly the Grand Old Flag every day during the daylight hours only and never in inclement weather.
If you're gonna fly the flag, please do it right. Millions of brave Americans have died for our freedom and to keep this country strong.
Are you familiar with this picture? Do you know where it was taken?
http://www.iwojima.com/raising/lflage.gif
Iwo Jima...What do I win:D

Windy
02-04-2004, 06:24 PM
geezus...

Windy
02-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Cool pic for a cool thread...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/193web_031103-N-6536T-006.jpg

clownpuncher
02-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by twistedpair
I totally agree Twisted, that is an obvious display of disrespect IMO. But, what about this? :rolleyes:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/536maye17.jpg
Just thought I'd be non-biased.
I agree that Old Glory should be flown in accordance to the above parameters. I'm just saying that the guy with the flag hangiing off the back of his 4x4 driving through town may NOT be being disrespectful, maybe he's just a little naive. The guy who forgets to take her down when it rains may not be disrespectful, just a little uneducated.
I know we at the FD fly a flag on our trucks, maybe not following etiquette to a "T", but we're certainly not disprespectful of the way we fly her.
I for one would rather see some 4x4'ing crazy mofo flying the flag full of pride for the USA and the flag, than someone NOT flying her because of lack of pride. Albeit, he may be "Not following the rules" cuz he didn't have a light on it or whatever, but at least the dude has American pride, and he can be educated as to the proper way to fly Old Glory.
On the other hand, it'll be damn near impossible to change the views of other that refuse to fly :frown:

clownpuncher
02-04-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by MissHBjet
Cool pic for a cool thread...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/193web_031103-N-6536T-006.jpg
Niiice pic!! :D I see a shadow under the flag, so it MUST be off teh ground. Our boys are good :D

MagicMtnDan
02-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
Niiice pic!! :D I see a shadow under the flag, so it MUST be off teh ground. Our boys are good :D
There's no ground on an aircraft carrier, right? :D
Also, technically speaking, I think that carrying the flag like that is against flag ettiquette (and they do that in parades too), right? (I'm not against displaying it that way but I think it violates flag ettiquette). :confused:

Windy
02-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
There's no ground on an aircraft carrier, right? :D
Also, technically speaking, I think that carrying the flag like that is against flag ettiquette (and they do that in parades too), right? (I'm not against displaying it that way but I think it violates flag ettiquette). :confused:
Nope its called the flight deck.
Flags are not suppose to touch the ground so no ettiquette rules are being broken that I can see.
MissHBjet<~~ loves that pic, and the flag, and the Navy

Essex502
02-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Federal law stipulates many aspects of flag etiquette. The section of law dealing with American Flag etiquette is generally referred to as the Flag Code. Some general guidelines from the Flag Code answer many of the most common questions:
The flag should be lighted at all times, either by sunlight or by an appropriate light source.
The flag should be flown in fair weather, unless the flag is designed for inclement weather use.
The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
The flag should not be used for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.
The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
The flag should never have any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind placed on it, or attached to it.
The flag should never be used for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.
The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.
When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

spectratoad
02-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Its ok to fly another flag but if memory serves me correct, the secondary flag IS NOT supposed to be flying higher or larger than our Nations Flag, whether on the same lanyard or on adjacent pole.
Bropb16, I agree with you on the ones that fly solo....1st things first, RED/WHITE/BLUE, then go ahead and fly your other flags as governed by the Flag Etiquette.
this is true. When I was in the Navy, ships when we would pass ships of other countries out on the ocean the ships would salute eachother by "dipping" the flags. (lowering the flags on the mast then raising back to top) Our ettiquette though is that our flag is NEVER lowered before the others flag. :)

coolchange
02-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Why wasn't there as much controversey when Bonam (Bonom? crap!) Open his jacket with the Flag in the lining at the Superbowl?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
02-05-2004, 09:53 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/662boat_shit_006-med.jpg
a fellow board member posted this pic under another thread. see something wrong in this pic. Flags don't make good shop rags:eek: :(
Omega

mirvin
02-05-2004, 10:15 AM
Ok folks, I think we need some clarification:)
A flag, made as a flag, is a flag and the rules apply to it as a flag.
The "likeness" of the flag is not a flag. You can put the likeness of a flag on whatever the hell you want and do with it whatever you want. Put it on a hat or a bikini or whatever but it's not a flag.
Get it? That's why the VFW is all pissed at Kid Rock now because he took a flag and made it into a poncho instead of just wearing a poncho with the likeness of the flag on it.
Omega, maybe that's just a shop rag with the flag printed on it and not really a flag ;)
Mirvin:D

Essex502
02-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Ok folks, I think we need some clarification:)
A flag, made as a flag, is a flag and the rules apply to it as a flag.
The "likeness" of the flag is not a flag. You can put the likeness of a flag on whatever the hell you want and do with it whatever you want. Put it on a hat or a bikini or whatever but it's not a flag.
Get it? That's why the VFW is all pissed at Kid Rock now because he took a flag and made it into a poncho instead of just wearing a poncho with the likeness of the flag on it.
Omega, maybe that's just a shop rag with the flag printed on it and not really a flag ;)
Mirvin:D
Hate to disagree with you but the following is pretty specific:
The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.

mirvin
02-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Yes, that is pretty clear, but yet vague;) I understand that to mean you shouldn't take a flag and stick it onto anything or turn it into anything just as you don't stick anything onto the flag or the staff. But the "likeness" of the flag isn not a flag, right? Or how do people get away with making products with the likeness on them. I got a shirt, from lucky 13 with a big "!#" in the middle of it painted like a flag. That's what I mean.
It seems like there's a big grey area in regards to what is or isn't a flag. If I have a shirt painted with red white and blue and I have a shirt with a flag painted on it what's what there?
Mirvin;)

B-RAD
02-05-2004, 10:58 AM
well I am an avid Hot boater an avid off roader and above all else I am an avid AMERICAN. this flag will fly on the back of my Jeep until my buddies get home from Iraq. I mean no dissrespect its my way to honor our troops

mirvin
02-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by B-RAD
well I am an avid Hot boater an avid off roader and above all else I am an avid AMERICAN. this flag will fly on the back of my Jeep until my buddies get home from Iraq. I mean no dissrespect its my way to honor our troops
B-RAD, nothing wrong with that!! I see a flag being used as a flag;) I don't think there's anything about where you put it but maybe Essex502 can verify that:D

RexRathburn
02-05-2004, 11:36 AM
What do you guys think about American Flag tattoos? I have seen a lot of them in color and in black/white and have always liked the idea. I don't think I saw anything in the "rules" that said this was wrong.

mirvin
02-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Hey Rex, I'm waiting for confirmation from Essex502 ( He seems to have some official info) regarding "likeness".
I had always understood that a flag was a flag and everything else wasn't. Like a painting of a flag is not a flag nor is a picture of a flag, etc.
A tattoo of a flag should be cool. I've seen lots of em. Now what would be wrong would be if you took a flag and stapled it to yourself!;)
M (not an expert) irvin

RexRathburn
02-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the clarification! Stapling the flag to myself was my first choice, but I didn’t think it would hold up in the Stoker…LOL! I think I'm goin' for the tat.:D

Essex502
02-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Here's the scoop:
(b) The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.

Essex502
02-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Furthermore:
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

Essex502
02-05-2004, 02:10 PM
And....
(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
That can be construed as your jeep's bumper, bed, fender or cab.

mirvin
02-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Hey Essex502, where are you getting all this. I'd like my own copy please:D
Mirvin
PS. Are you part of LVHB?

Essex502
02-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Heres' a particularly good site:
Flag Etiquette (http://www.libertyflag.com/etiquette.htm)

mirvin
02-05-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
Heres' a particularly good site:
Flag Etiquette (http://www.libertyflag.com/etiquette.htm)
Thanks Exxex502. That's a great site:) I'm gonna see if I can figure out the proper placement of the flag on a boat ;)
Mirvin

Essex502
02-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Whether it is technically proper or not ... I have seen a kit from Overton's that mounts a small flag on the light pole for the back of a typical boat. Check Overton's current catalog.
Overtons (http://www.overtons.com)
Search on "flag"

Essex502
02-05-2004, 02:21 PM
PS. Are you part of LVHB?
Yes. One and the same.

mirvin
02-05-2004, 02:49 PM
Yes. One and the same.
You're famous!!;)
Mirvin

Havasu Cig
02-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Whether it is technically proper or not ... I have seen a kit from Overton's that mounts a small flag on the light pole for the back of a typical boat. Check Overton's current catalog.
Search on "flag"
Be careful, I did this on our last cat and it ripped the light pole off the boat. It was ok until about 90 mph, but depending on the size of the flag it could probably happen at a slower speed.

OGShocker
02-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Search on "flag"
Thank's 502! I clicked on that link and they posted your creditcard information for me!:D

clownpuncher
02-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
Be careful, I did this on our last cat and it ripped the light pole off the boat. It was ok until about 90 mph
LOL - I'm thinking I won't have that problem :D
(gettin to 90, that is)
OGShocker's boat is a good example of what were talking about.
The red white and blue, displayed respectfully and very nicely. Just because it's representing "the flag", it isn't an actuall flag, therefore, should be OK as far as etiquette is concerned. No different, IMO, than a tattoo or t-shirt, or bikini for that matter. I remember seeing that boat parked in the channel (or one similar?)a while back :D :D

Essex502
02-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by OGShocker
Thank's 502! I clicked on that link and they posted your creditcard information for me!:D
Never used a credit card with them but that is funny! :D

Essex502
02-06-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
Be careful, I did this on our last cat and it ripped the light pole off the boat. It was ok until about 90 mph, but depending on the size of the flag it could probably happen at a slower speed.
I'd never consider doing 90 with a light pole mount using plastic clips! :D

Havasu Cig
02-06-2004, 09:52 AM
The flag was not that large, and the pole actually was secured fairly well. I thought it would be ok, I guess i was wrong.:D