PDA

View Full Version : SS impeller?

TRG
02-06-2004, 10:57 PM
what is the best way to tell if you have a stainless impeller in your pump?
ive removed the bowl and it does not look the same as alum.! because i have another pump right next to this one and the two metals look diff!
thanks todd!

disco_charger
02-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Got a magnet? :D

wsuwrhr
02-06-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by toddnjuzz
what is the best way to tell if you have a stainless impeller in your pump?
ive removed the bowl and it does not look the same as alum.! because i have another pump right next to this one and the two metals look diff!
thanks todd!
Do you have a hammer Todd? Good size one the better.
Hit the impeller in question twice as hard as you can, you have to hit it in exactly the same spot though, if it breaks on the first or second shot, it is most likely aluminum.
Just trying to help a brother out.
Magnets only work on SOME stainless alloys, not sure which alloy SS impellers are cast out of.
Just my .02
Brian
DISCLAIMER, DISCLAIMER......Just kidding on the hammer toss Todd....don't do it.

TRG
02-06-2004, 11:25 PM
will that work?
because i was on the "HORN" with bigamist and we tried that ...but it did not stick!!! so then i tried to see if it would stick to the input shaft... did'nt stick there either.

wsuwrhr
02-06-2004, 11:26 PM
If you want to remove it, the HEAVIER one is stainless, and will be a "grey" color.
Brian

wsuwrhr
02-06-2004, 11:29 PM
will that work?
because i was on the "HORN" with bigamist and we tried that ...but it did not stick!!! so then i tried to see if it would stick to the input shaft... did'nt stick there either.
See above post on magnets and stainless alloys.
304 SS magnet sticky, 303 SS magnet no sticky.......... I THINK.......
Brian

TRG
02-06-2004, 11:29 PM
well... i did try that too! but not hard at all!!! but the impellers do sound way diff. when tapped! the alum sounds solid as where the other has a ring!

wsuwrhr
02-06-2004, 11:31 PM
well... i did try that too! but not hard at all!!! but the impellers do sound way diff. when tapped! the alum sounds solid as where the other has a ring!
The solid one most likey has a crack.
Brian

wsuwrhr
02-06-2004, 11:33 PM
When the harmonic is gone, it is usually because it has fractured and will not conduct "movement."
Hense the lack of movement whick translates into noise in this case.
Brian

Oldsquirt
02-06-2004, 11:33 PM
The aluminum is probably coated green if it is untouched since new. A Bronze or SS won't be coated.

TRG
02-06-2004, 11:34 PM
so....the tapping thing does'nt help either?

wsuwrhr
02-06-2004, 11:37 PM
TAPPED???????!!!!!!!!!!!
Dude we are talking SMASH, hit it with a good size sledgehammer, as hard as you can. I'm telling you, if it doesn't break, you got yourself a stainless impeller. Unfortunately, if it does break, not only do you know you just ruined your impeller, but you know at least that it is aluminum.
Brian

TRG
02-06-2004, 11:49 PM
wsuwrhr... i figured i could get a post out for at least a day before i got a weak ass reply such as "with a hammer,... hit the impeller in question twice as hard as you can!" would you do this to a perfectly good impeller? or is that what happened to your boat at the CBBB this past, i've got it!....impeller durability testing, right? LOL

wsuwrhr
02-06-2004, 11:55 PM
wsuwrhr... i figured i could get a post out for at least a day before i got a weak ass reply such as "with a hammer,... hit the impeller in question twice as hard as you can!" would you do this to a perfectly good impeller? or is that what happened to your boat at the CBBB this past, i've got it!....impeller durability testing, right? LOL
Sorry Todd, I was just trying out my midnight humor act. I thought it was funny. I guess it is time for bed. All kidding aside, everything else I sensibly said was true, to the best of my knowledge,
Brian

wsuwrhr
02-06-2004, 11:56 PM
....impeller durability testing, right? LOL
I am all about breaking perfectly good parts. Even if I don't try.
Brian

victorfb
02-07-2004, 12:01 AM
just hit it with a welding torch. if it melts quikly its most likely aluminium. the SS will withstand a little more heat. this way you dont smash any knuckles.:p

TRG
02-07-2004, 12:02 AM
then i think you both are "dipshitz"!!lol

victorfb
02-07-2004, 12:09 AM
well, i can't speak for Wsuwrhr, but i know i am. :p

Jake W
02-07-2004, 05:29 AM
Todd if it is the pumo you bought from Steve its an alum .If its the one out of your pump can you read the tag on top of the pump it will say SS.
Jake
Oyea is the white and blue Rogers a project boat for you or some one else?

wsuwrhr
02-07-2004, 07:31 AM
Where is the love here? I was just trying out my sense of humor.
Brian

Heatseeker
02-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Todd, try a small piece of sandpaper. Aluminum will sand alot easier than Stainless.
And Brian, I think you're doing a great job at 'helpin a brother out' :rolleyes: ! lol!

Cs19
02-07-2004, 09:15 AM
You should be able to tell by looking at it only. Post pics.

wsuwrhr
02-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Heatseeker
Todd, try a small piece of sandpaper. Aluminum will sand alot easier than Stainless.
And Brian, I think you're doing a great job at 'helpin a brother out' :rolleyes: ! lol!
That's what I'm talking about.
Ok then Todd, post some pics, the difference between SS, alum, mag-brinze should be easy to spot.
Brian
Long Beach swap meet space 770 Sunday Feb 8th

TRG
02-07-2004, 02:00 PM
well i sanded the imp. and the alum obviously sanded easier!
jake: the pump is not jetmuggs!
chris: the impeller was painted., but it does not seem to be alum! the more that i look at it...seems to be ss!
ive called a few heads today and they all told me, that the alum. would have a "thud" when the SS would have a ring!... the shit rings!!
im taking it over to MPD in the morn! makes me wonder about the shaft too.( its in way better shape than mine anyway!)
brian: dont take it wrong... it was late and a brutha was tired!! sorry
todd

Cs19
02-07-2004, 02:16 PM
Todd,people dont normally paint s.s impellers,but you never know, people do weird things. If you have them out, the weight of the stainless is probably about double the aluminum, mag bronze is even heavier.

Oldsquirt
02-07-2004, 02:19 PM
im taking it over to MPD in the morn! makes me wonder about the shaft too.( its in way better shape than mine anyway!)
Pretty sure all the shafts are SS, whether they are standard or Aquamet. Got one right next to my desk and its non-magnetic. Let us know what you find out tomorrow.

wsuwrhr
02-07-2004, 04:25 PM
well i sanded the imp. and the alum obviously sanded easier!
jake: the pump is not jetmuggs!
chris: the impeller was painted., but it does not seem to be alum! the more that i look at it...seems to be ss!
ive called a few heads today and they all told me, that the alum. would have a "thud" when the SS would have a ring!... the shit rings!!
brian: dont take it wrong... it was late and a brutha was tired!! sorry
todd
I tired calling Jack a couple of times today and no answer. Since I will be in the LBC, I was going to see if he would be in the shop after the swapmeet. I wanted his opinion on my setup, and I need a new impeller. Let me know if you have any info on when he will be around tommorrow.
Brian

TRG
02-07-2004, 06:16 PM
when i talked to jack this morn. he said he'will be in after 10, i think! but i said to him, that i'd be in after the swapmeet (LBVS), so im assuming that i'll be there (MPD) around 10:30- 11!

TRG
02-08-2004, 07:16 PM
looks like she's alum.!

victorfb
02-09-2004, 07:40 AM
if its all useable, you got a killer deal no matter what the impeller is made from.
no wait... its all junk Todd. toss it in MY trash can..:D

TRG
02-09-2004, 04:08 PM
i will be parting it all out! jack said that the imp. is worth at least one more re-build! and the shaft is still in good shape!
now all i need is some new "to me" hardware! along the lines of an "AQ" input shaft, and a "mag/bronze" imp... anyone have any ideas on some quality used parts or even new?
thanks, todd
by the way, i have say,....to Jack McClure of "Marine Performance Desing" of Costa Mesa Ca. Thanks alot! you took at least an hour and a half out of your busy sched. to help me out in understanding just what in the hell i want to do with my boat!
thanks again Jack!
todd

SANGERBRU
02-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Hey , all 300 Series Stainless is NON-MAGNETIC. Just trying to help.

SANGERBRU
02-10-2004, 09:54 PM
Both Alum and SS. are going to show non-magnetic. Answer is Alum is soft Stainless is hard (check with a file).

TRG
02-11-2004, 10:33 PM
thanks for the help sangerbru, but when jack extracted the imp. from the housing...the weight of the imp. was also an indecation that it is alum! thanks for the info!!
todd