PDA

View Full Version : B-MAX OUTDRIVE QUESTION??????

nhbuoy
03-20-2003, 10:40 AM
Saw the article in FAM & PERF BOATING mag on their 24' HTM project boat (VERRY NICE BTW)...It showed a picture of the B-MAX & I noticed there wasn't a nose-cone on it & it didn't look all that hydro-dynamic...Will that unit NOT have blow-out problems in that "stock" form or is it good-to-go as is???(100 mph plus or minus)???

Robbie Racer
03-20-2003, 06:09 PM
I have been running the B-Max without the nosecone and have been over 110 with it many times without any blowout. I just ordered their new lower unit with nosecone built in to see if it offers any performance improvement. Good luck, R/R

DUCKY
03-21-2003, 09:01 PM
A pointed nose cone is only effective if lots positive trim is required. If your best speed can be obtained with little or no positive trim, then a pointed cone will actually hurt performance. Most of today's high perfomance cats and tunnels are designed with sufficient natural lift to eliminate the need for excessive positive trim, which in turn makes a faster boat, because your drive is using all it's thrust to propel you forward rather than lift the hull.

nhbuoy
03-24-2003, 11:35 AM
Thanx for the replies...I AM aware of the over-trim effects, but like RR said, I was more interested in the blow-out/ventilation attributes of the drive...It just doesn't look all that hydrodynamic...As a point of reference, in that same issue, look at the new EVINRUDES & JOHNSONS...Look closely at the 250 hp & 225hp/HO EVINRUDE lower units...Check out the difference between the 2 lower units...RR...let me know how things work out WITH the nose-cone VS the stock set-up...That drive has had nothing but good things said about it...ROCK-ON....