PDA

View Full Version : TST Diesel Modules?

Outnumbered
02-07-2004, 03:25 PM
Anybody heard of these guys? Is their stuff any good? How long have they been around? Their web page sucks. No real info but lots of BIG claims. :confused:
http://www.tstproducts.com/powermaxcr.htm
OL

STV_Keith
02-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Sure, Mark/TST has been around for a while. Kinda got his name making cam plate kits for the older 12v motors. Was a Cummins guy back in the 80's I believe.
Big claims, but I have not seen one on the dyno yet.

bigq
02-08-2004, 09:37 AM
Those are some crazy numbers. It said it was on a stock truck also.:confused:

STV_Keith
02-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Just remember:
Anything over 330-350hp will require a bigger turbo.
325hp is the limit for a stock 5-speed clutch.
350hp is the limit for a stock 6-speed clutch.
400hp is the limit for the 48RE transmission.
275hp is the limit for the 47RE transmission.
All rear wheel HP numbers.
From our observations, here is the stock power:
235hp CA models - ~200rwhp
250hp models - ~230rwhp
305hp models - ~275rwhp

bigq
02-08-2004, 12:12 PM
So with the TST module on my CA motor I could run it on what they call setting 9 for Hp and 9 for torque and be right at the 350 range for the turbo?
Also someone with an HO motor would need to put on a turbo way before my CA motor would, if I am reading that correct.
The only thing I want to do is the turbo back , intake and computer. this way I figure I can remove it if i need warranty work.;) I don't think the exhaust would be a problem for warranty.
Still want to wait for the Edge products, that Attitude looks a lot nicer than the TST readout. i want to use the Attitude instead of regular pillar gauges.

STV_Keith
02-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Sooner as far as mods, yes. BUT, with the same mods, the CA model and SO model will always be behind the HO in HP.

Outnumbered
02-08-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by bigq
So with the TST module on my CA motor I could run it on what they call setting 9 for Hp and 9 for torque and be right at the 350 range for the turbo?
Also someone with an HO motor would need to put on a turbo way before my CA motor would, if I am reading that correct.
The only thing I want to do is the turbo back , intake and computer. this way I figure I can remove it if i need warranty work.;) I don't think the exhaust would be a problem for warranty.
Still want to wait for the Edge products, that Attitude looks a lot nicer than the TST readout. i want to use the Attitude instead of regular pillar gauges.
Ya, that TST readout looks pretty cheesy. I am trying to find out if it has any defueling protection built-in like the Banks and Edge stuff. Their web site is not very informative. I'm with you on the Attitude, I wish they would hurry up then I could just get it from Keith and be done.
OL

bigq
02-12-2004, 12:36 AM
I was reading over at TDR about some of the guys running the TST. Sounds like it gives some insane power, most can only go to the setting of 5, goes to 9, before thay start to spin the clutch or TC.

91nordic29
02-12-2004, 07:53 AM
is this the same thing as this HyperTech module the chevy dealer has to reprogram the computer in our duramax?:confused:

Outnumbered
02-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
is this the same thing as this HyperTech module the chevy dealer has to reprogram the computer in our duramax?:confused:
Similar, but instead of re-programming the stock computer this is a plug-in module that is left connected to the factory harness and is mounted under the hood. I think they see better power gains than the Power Programer dealio. But I'm still learning, so what do I know :confused: .
OL

91nordic29
02-12-2004, 08:19 AM
itold hubby i would try to find out from 'all y'all' what the deal is with these things. i am kinda getting the hint that he wants to soupe up the duramax.:confused: :confused:

bigq
02-12-2004, 08:29 AM
Hypertec has hand held devices aor they give you a chip to put in. A chevy dealer would not do it. Did you but the truck used? If you did maybe your husband is having them put back to stock. If people use the hand device and don't return the stock program you would need to reburn the chip to factory specs.
To be honest I don't know how the TST works. I believe it is like OL said and it adds to the system in place. If you want it back to stock you just remove the box.
I had the superchips hand computer for my gasser I had. I could program the motor and trans. It does not even come close to what a desiel box will do.:D

Outnumbered
02-12-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
itold hubby i would try to find out from 'all y'all' what the deal is with these things. i am kinda getting the hint that he wants to soupe up the duramax.:confused: :confused:
Mo power is a good thing:D

91nordic29
02-12-2004, 09:54 AM
we bought it new 2003. he said the dealership is where he got the info and they have them there for install (?). he said it would give it more torque(?) i said why? in case we have to pll the boat out of a hole or something?
:D

Outnumbered
02-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by bigq
Hypertec has hand held devices aor they give you a chip to put in. A chevy dealer would not do it. Did you but the truck used? If you did maybe your husband is having them put back to stock. If people use the hand device and don't return the stock program you would need to reburn the chip to factory specs.
To be honest I don't know how the TST works. I believe it is like OL said and it adds to the system in place. If you want it back to stock you just remove the box.
I had the superchips hand computer for my gasser I had. I could program the motor and trans. It does not even come close to what a desiel box will do.:D
Don't forget AZ is a little different. They don't have to worry about the emission Nazis as much:D
OL

DogHouse
02-16-2004, 05:50 PM
After towing the boat over the mountains to Roosevelt this weekend, I'm wondering if the HO305 really needs a chip... The thing pulls the rolling hills fine in sixth and cruise control. On the steep stuff, just drop to fifth and motor on up @55-60, not even floored. Not too shabby for towing 7000+ lbs. Very nice compared to the 8.1/Allison it replaced...

Outnumbered
02-16-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by DogHouse
After towing the boat over the mountains to Roosevelt this weekend, I'm wondering if the HO305 really needs a chip... The thing pulls the rolling hills fine in sixth and cruise control. On the steep stuff, just drop to fifth and motor on up @55-60, not even floored. Not too shabby for towing 7000+ lbs. Very nice compared to the 8.1/Allison it replaced...
Ya, the Cali truck even does OK but I need at least stock HO power. The Cali truck is under-powered compared to everything else. Just pulled my boat to Riverside from Kingman where we winter store it. Got 13.5 mpg cruising 75 most of the way. Pulled the big grades in 4th and 3rd (auto) at no less than 70. It was working on the hills though and the module would be just enough to make it cruise-up the big hills.
OL

bigq
02-16-2004, 11:54 PM
OL you have 4.11 or 3.73 gears?

Outnumbered
02-17-2004, 07:51 AM
It does not say on the sticker so I would assume 3.73. That is what the dealer told me but I don't trust those guys too much. I will have to research it a little. I did just put 33" ProComp ATs on and they are pretty nice tires.
OL

Outnumbered
02-17-2004, 01:09 PM
Yep, 3.73, its on the glove-box sticker

DogHouse
02-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
Ya, the Cali truck even does OK but I need at least stock HO power. The Cali truck is under-powered compared to everything else. Just pulled my boat to Riverside from Kingman where we winter store it. Got 13.5 mpg cruising 75 most of the way. Pulled the big grades in 4th and 3rd (auto) at no less than 70. It was working on the hills though and the module would be just enough to make it cruise-up the big hills.
OL
Ya even a mild chip will bump the torque up so that you won't be shifting on the grades. I've got a buddy with an older 12v with just basic mods, and he pulls a loaded 4 horse trailer up the Black Canyon grade in top gear, 70 mph, no sweat. These things are just amazing.
-brian

bigq
02-18-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
Yep, 3.73, its on the glove-box sticker
Oh ya! I forgot about that little thing.:D
BTW It sounds like the TST box is tossing ECM Codes left and right, seems to still need some tweeking.:confused:
I am thinking of getting the Edge EZ now because the juice will stack on top of it and then the attitude will add also.

Outnumbered
02-19-2004, 12:23 AM
Supposedly the Attitude is coming very soon:rolleyes:
Which unit has to be run with the Attitude? I really don't want A-pillar guages in my new truck.
OL

bigq
02-19-2004, 08:35 AM
From the little I know, the juice will run with the Attitude, although the juice does not need it to work. The Attitude is a nice unit and I agrre about the pod gauges.It can also be "stacked" with the product they have out now, the EZ. I think the EZ ups the rail pressure to certain amounts and the Juice/Attitude will be dealing with injector event timing.;) At least this is my inturpetation of it.:confused: