PDA

View Full Version : New Cam is here whatcha think???

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-07-2004, 08:37 PM
I just got my cam kit from george @ clay smith cams. Here are the specs. This is what he picked for me. I think it will talk shit to me!
305 adv dur,256 @.050, .615 lift,108 lobe sep,solid lifter
Going in a 454 .30 over,781 ported heads and ported and polished performer rpm intake,11-1 comp with forged slugs,holley 850dp, dry headers, with an A/B impeller in a berk with a flowed bowl.
Whatcha guys think?
396;)

77charger
02-07-2004, 09:01 PM
I fhe picked it you will be happy.Have heard lots of good about his cams.I have never used him but he is only 5 min from my house.Cam sounds good but i think you might have to lean towards a B cut impeller to get the most out of your set up.

TopCat
02-07-2004, 10:16 PM
Seems like alot of duration for a jet it should have a fairly good lope to it but hell what do i know i'm a ford guy.619lift 276dur. 110lobes

Squirtcha?
02-07-2004, 11:48 PM
I'm bettin you'll like it Michael. I'm running a Clay Smith in my BBF. It's much tamer and a hydraulic flat tappet 244 duration 570 lift on a 108 centerline, but it's got a very nice lope to it and runs pretty strong. I'm real happy with my Clay Smith cam and I'd buy another one for sure.

Foggerjet
02-08-2004, 04:57 AM
I also run a Clay Smith cam,a 290HL in the Oldsmobubble, Love it.
That Looks pretty racy, Somewhere in the 6000-7500 rpm range?
But, if George recommended it, Stab it in. It'l run sweet. Ought to sound wicked too.
fog

cave
02-08-2004, 07:57 AM
Hey Mike How much did it cost you for the cam? Did you get the Lifters from him or your employer?
cave

Checkmate
02-08-2004, 08:10 AM
Holy Lift !!
That thing is gonna sound baaad ass.
:p

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by cave
Hey Mike How much did it cost you for the cam? Did you get the Lifters from him or your employer?
cave
I paid $370 for cam,lifters,springs,keepers,spring cups,and locks. I bought it from bergeron marine.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Checkmate
Holy Lift !!
That thing is gonna sound baaad ass.
That is what I was lookin for! I told him I wanted the meanest cam I could get without hurting my performance. I have a decent cam in my "other" boat and it sounds good but not good enough! I wanted something mean as hell so people will say" What the hell is in that thing;) ;) ;) ;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Squirtcha?
I'm bettin you'll like it Michael. I'm running a Clay Smith in my BBF. It's much tamer and a hydraulic flat tappet 244 duration 570 lift on a 108 centerline, but it's got a very nice lope to it and runs pretty strong. I'm real happy with my Clay Smith cam and I'd buy another one for sure.
I'm getting ready to build;) I got butterfly's in my tummy;) I am so anxious. I am taking advice from bergeron marine. They dont bullshit when it comes to boats. I see thier work and they do some nice shit. Phil is guiding me through my whole build up. I think it will be sweet. After she is done and i have about 20 hrs on her she will be getting a dose of laughing gas, then it will be insane:D

TopCat
02-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Just curious what did they tell you the power curve is when will it come to life are you using the preloader impeller(cant think of its proper name):)

AZKC
02-08-2004, 05:38 PM
That thing should bark like a BIG Dawg:D
Keep an eye on your piston to valve clearence. I spun a bearing and had a valve kissin the piston real quick with less lift than your running.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by AZKC
That thing should bark like a BIG Dawg:D
Keep an eye on your piston to valve clearence. I spun a bearing and had a valve kissin the piston real quick with less lift than your running.
Yeah, they told me to check that before i finish anything.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by TopCat
Just curious what did they tell you the power curve is when will it come to life are you using the preloader impeller(cant think of its proper name):)
They didnt tell me! No preloader yet. After I work all the bugs out then i will be installing a preloader.

77charger
02-08-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by 396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
I wanted something mean as hell so people will say" What the hell is in that thing;) ;) ;) ;)
396 I think it will be 396 saw the light and went bbc!:D :) I hope it works out good for you this time sounds like you have been puttin in alot of time into your motors.but do have respect for you on building your own motor:) :)
Maybe i;ll see you at the phx drags stop by this time besides taking pics of my boat:D

BLOWNDEAVER
02-08-2004, 07:00 PM
I RAN THE SAME CAM IN A 454+30 12.5 TO 1 IN A SOUTHWINDS,MERLIN IRON HEADS,MERLIN INTAKE,850 HOLLEY,TRIED NUMERIOUS IMPELLERS A AB B BC AND NEVERED TURNED OVER 5800 RPM THE CAM HAS TO MUCH DURATION TO WORK GREAT IN A JET, WHAT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER CLAY BUILDS CARS NOT BOATS!!!!!!! THIS IS JUST MY OPION AND I AM PLANNING ON USING MY CAM ON TROUT LINE NEXT YEAR ,

bigkatboat
02-08-2004, 08:07 PM
George did a lot of work with Califonia Performance Boats. Put that thing in at 3+ (advanced), if you have TRW pistons you must flycut (valve clearance). Run an a/b and 1/8" nozzle, it will leave and top out good. If you have good pistons, clay the clearance!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-08-2004, 08:12 PM
The pistons are speedpro(trw). George told us to check for clearance. The might be able to get by without flycutting.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by BLOWNDEAVER
I RAN THE SAME CAM IN A 454+30 12.5 TO 1 IN A SOUTHWINDS,MERLIN IRON HEADS,MERLIN INTAKE,850 HOLLEY,TRIED NUMERIOUS IMPELLERS A AB B BC AND NEVERED TURNED OVER 5800 RPM THE CAM HAS TO MUCH DURATION TO WORK GREAT IN A JET, WHAT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER CLAY BUILDS CARS NOT BOATS!!!!!!! THIS IS JUST MY OPION AND I AM PLANNING ON USING MY CAM ON TROUT LINE NEXT YEAR ,
I understand where your comming from BUT, I am being coached by bergeron marine. They run I think 4 superstock boats. I watch them build the motors for thier boats. I have tried to prove them wrong and I cant. hell he's the only boatshop in AZ that has thier own machine shop. They build alot of thier own parts. I am not saying your wrong, Im just being coached by someone that has over 30years in the marine industry.

77charger
02-08-2004, 08:26 PM
I RAN THE SAME CAM IN A 454+30 12.5 TO 1 IN A SOUTHWINDS,MERLIN IRON HEADS,MERLIN INTAKE,850 HOLLEY,TRIED NUMERIOUS IMPELLERS A AB B BC AND NEVERED TURNED OVER 5800 RPM THE CAM HAS TO MUCH DURATION TO WORK GREAT IN A JET, WHAT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER CLAY BUILDS CARS NOT BOATS!!!!!!! THIS IS JUST MY OPION AND I AM PLANNING ON USING MY CAM ON TROUT LINE NEXT YEAR , You might want to recheck that george builds some hot fords for boat motors as well as set up more than a few boat motors as well.

sidewound
02-08-2004, 08:35 PM
Hey 396!
How bout sendin me an audio on the idle lope. Sounds to be pretty bumpy to me.
Peace Man!
:cool:
CESAR

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by 77charger
I think it will be 396 saw the light and went bbc!:D :) I hope it works out good for you this time sounds like you have been puttin in alot of time into your motors.but do have respect for you on building your own motor:) :)
Maybe i;ll see you at the phx drags stop by this time besides taking pics of my boat:D
Wait, I have had this motor(454) and boat(1980 kona) before I bought the 77' charger. This was my first project but I had to pick up a boat that was running for the season;) Playtime is over, now its time to get serious. i also got a bbc 4bolt main waitn for a huffer within the next 4-5 years;) I like to do my own shit so thats why I am learning so when something fails, I can fix it. And yes we will be talkin' next time your in the valley. I will be at lakefest this year, are you going?

77charger
02-08-2004, 08:48 PM
I was referring to the 455.from before didnt know you had this boat first:confused:My mistake .Yes we'll be at phx for the opener.planning on runnin top eliminator this time around.9.0 class:) :) :)

BigBoyToys
02-08-2004, 09:27 PM
I understand where your comming from BUT, I am being coached by bergeron marine. They run I think 4 superstock boats. I watch them build the motors for thier boats. I have tried to prove them wrong and I cant. hell he's the only boatshop in AZ that has thier own machine shop. They build alot of thier own parts. I am not saying your wrong, Im just being coached by someone that has over 30years in the marine industry.
Well, I think that the engines in them Super Stocks are a little bit different than the ones in a Jet. V-Drives turn a higher RPM than Jets do:rolleyes: And the Cam profiles are MUCH different between a V-Drive and a Jet.....if the motors are setup right that is.:)

fourspeednup
02-08-2004, 09:34 PM
I will be at lakefest this year, are you going?
When is this gonna happen? :cool:

Jim Brock
02-09-2004, 09:02 AM
George used to race circle jet boats, and had several other people racing in all the classes, i have tried several different grinds of his, testing to see if another was better, if it didn,t work he would give me my old grind back, the public would get the benifits, they would get the best grind, that is how he got his grinds on the jet boat cams, not bt asking a computer how to grind one, that cam will be purfect for your boat, put it in a 1 degree adv. it will be a rocket at touch of the throttle, Jim

hack job
02-09-2004, 09:09 AM
i ran a clay smith cam in my motor for two seasons never could spin it better than 5200 rpm it was a 310 advertised and 645 lift and 108 lob. that thing is a hand full. its has too much duration and you will never be able to spin it to were the motor makes its power. in a jet you will never see 6500 rpm. unless there is some thing major wrong with the pump.
that is just my .02 now iam going with a roller crane cam . more lift less duration.;)
good luck

Jordy
02-09-2004, 09:17 AM
As I recall you're runnin' a Ferd and 396 is runnin' a Chevy. That could explain the problem... :D :D :D

Blown 472
02-09-2004, 09:19 AM
I had pretty much the same cam in a ferd, and it would not pull the rpm.

Jordy
02-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Blown 472
I had pretty much the same cam in a ferd, and it would not pull the rpm.
I'm seeing a commonality here... Ferd.
(ya know I'm just playin' because there's not enough drama in this section already) :D

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
02-09-2004, 09:26 AM
hope you like adjusting valves;) sounds like a HUGE cam to me. this is a 'LAKE' boat right?
Good luck! I have only ran one solid cam. Never again!!!:eek:
Omega

Blown 472
02-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
I'm seeing a commonality here... Ferd.
(ya know I'm just playin' because there's not enough drama in this section already) :D
No chit huh, come on down to bench racers, getting hot and heavy down there.

AZKC
02-09-2004, 09:45 AM
Now now, we have Larry's down here in Tucson:D He's turned out a few good motors from his machine shop;)

h2ojet001
02-09-2004, 10:08 AM
I am building a similar engine also (BBC, 468 ci, edelbrock marine heads, etc. etc) I talked to george at clay smith today and he recommended basically the same cam. 340 adv, 258@.050, .615 lift, 108 lobe sep, solid lifter and said to install at 106 center line. With all the differing opinions I not sure if this will be to big now. What do you think chevy guys.
Barry

flat broke
02-09-2004, 10:47 AM
I have also run George's cams in 2 incarnations of my motor. I feel that if you are set on running a flat tappet, he has a decent grind to offer. The one thing that does kinda hurt the jetboats in regard to those cam profiles is the duration and the associated loss of cylinder pressure. Take a 9:1 motor and slap that one of those 304, 310 duration cams, and you will notice a drop in torque. I ran a profile very simiar to Hackers in the 496 last season. The idle sounded bitchen, but I felt I was leaving power on the table because I couldn't get to the RPM range where the cam would really shine.
All that being said, George definitely has his shit straight in regards to setting up motors to survive in a jetboat, and I would trust him to shoot straight with me any day of the week. He is a great guy, will forget more than I'll ever learn, and is extremely opinionated in his building philosophies.
Good luck with the motor 396, but I'm betting those pistons will be coming out for a little fly cutting. ;)
Chris

BLOWNDEAVER
02-09-2004, 04:23 PM
396 IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THE BEST COACHES IN THE WORLD WHY ARE YOU IN FRONT OF COMPUTER ASKING QUESTIONS?YOU ASKED A QUESTION I GAVE MY ANSWER!!! AND IT IS ALFUL AMAZING THAT HE RECOMMENDS THE (OR CLOSE TO SAME CAM)FOR ALL JET BOATS JUST LIKE YOU HEARD THE OTHER GUYS SAY WILL NOT TURN RPM!!!!!!!! PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS. IF ANYONE WANTS THE ONE I HAVE IT IS FOR SALE UNTIL APRIL THEN IT IS GOING ONTROUT LINE FOR WEIGHT

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-09-2004, 06:37 PM
396 IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THE BEST COACHES IN THE WORLD WHY ARE YOU IN FRONT OF COMPUTER ASKING QUESTIONS?YOU ASKED A QUESTION I GAVE MY ANSWER!!! AND IT IS ALFUL AMAZING THAT HE RECOMMENDS THE (OR CLOSE TO SAME CAM)FOR ALL JET BOATS JUST LIKE YOU HEARD THE OTHER GUYS SAY WILL NOT TURN RPM!!!!!!!! PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS. IF ANYONE WANTS THE ONE I HAVE IT IS FOR SALE UNTIL APRIL THEN IT IS GOING ONTROUT LINE FOR WEIGHT
Look bro, I asked what people thought NOT what do you think I should go with! Just because you had bad luck doesnt mean everyone else will have the same luck!
396-out

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by 77charger
I was referring to the 455.from before didnt know you had this boat first:confused:My mistake .Yes we'll be at phx for the opener.planning on runnin top eliminator this time around.9.0 class:) :) :)
We will meet in person brotha;) Good luck on your race;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by BigBoyToys
Well, I think that the engines in them Super Stocks are a little bit different than the ones in a Jet. V-Drives turn a higher RPM than Jets do:rolleyes: And the Cam profiles are MUCH different between a V-Drive and a Jet.....if the motors are setup right that is.:)
Yes very true! BUT they set up jets as well. they set up a few very nice jets that are ski racers.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by fourspeednup
When is this gonna happen? :cool:
the ihba lakefest 2004 will be April 30-may 1st at firebird raceway.
The coorslight world finals will be nov 18-nov 24th at firebird raceway.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by AZKC
Now now, we have Larry's down here in Tucson:D He's turned out a few good motors from his machine shop;)
Yes, he does some top notch work as well. bergeron speaks highly of him;) Hell thats who I got my first set of headers and motor mounts from. They hooked me up. I paid $375 for both;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by h2ojet001
I am building a similar engine also (BBC, 468 ci, edelbrock marine heads, etc. etc) I talked to george at clay smith today and he recommended basically the same cam. 340 adv, 258@.050, .615 lift, 108 lobe sep, solid lifter and said to install at 106 center line. With all the differing opinions I not sure if this will be to big now. What do you think chevy guys.
Barry
RUN that B!tch;) ;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
As I recall you're runnin' a Ferd and 396 is runnin' a Chevy. That could explain the problem... :D
Jordy, where the hell have you been?????? I havent talked to you in a long time brotha. Hows ol' yeller doin? Are you going to be ready this summer? We need to go lookin' for the lawnmower men together:D :D Oh and by the way, I will have some serious tail on this baby too:D You know how I do the tail, if you dont see me look for tha tail. It will be hangin' up there;)
396_Ya_Brotha_From_Anotha_Motha!

Jordy
02-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Jordy, where the hell have you been?????? I havent talked to you in a long time brotha. Hows ol' yeller doin? Are you going to be ready this summer? We need to go lookin' for the lawnmower men together:D :D Oh and by the way, I will have some serious tail on this baby too:D You know how I do the tail, if you dont see me look for tha tail. It will be hangin' up there;)
396_Ya_Brotha_From_Anotha_Motha!
I've been so busy lately that it's uncanny. As far as yeller, she's here. Looks like some subtle changes will be made shortly, and for the better, but yes, we'll be ready for this summer. I was so busy last year that between work and the river I didn't get out to Saguaro one time. Gotta change that this year. :D

Fiat48
02-09-2004, 09:37 PM
Before I say much, let me enter my disclaimer here. I don't and have never had a jet boat. Bear this in mind while reading this post.
I am confused by you changing the impellers you did and never seeing an RPM increase. 256@ .050 at .050 is not that big a camshaft, actually pretty small. The merlin head flows pretty good so I could understand more lift even possibly as high as .750 would help. At 12.5 compression with a 108 seperation I would have thought that camshaft to be very hard leaving and adequate to about 6500 rpm.
Did you ever find a camshaft that went above 5800 on your combo? Without questioning your tuning abilitys, do you think you might have had a fuel supply problem or other problem keeping you from reaching higher RPM?
Unless I have something wrong, cutting the impellor down in size is like changing gears. I don't understand no rpm increase.

TopCat
02-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by h2ojet001
Barry 340 is not basiclly the same cam-You put that in a jet and i'll tell you what will happen hell i'll bet money on it--- the boat will leave like a stock engine or worse for 300- 400ft then it wont come to life til 3/4 then she'll wake up unfortuntely if you were racing someone you just lost and if you open up your lash like some do for more R's it'd be worse and if you could tighten it up it'd still wallow but thats just my opinion:D

Jim Brock
02-10-2004, 08:11 AM
that cam is not 340adv. dur. it is 304adv, that cam in a 468 chevy91/2 comp. dual 660's berk B empellor will turn 5800-6000 rpm, if iot doesn't you didn't degree it in or can't tune. Jim

Foggerjet
02-10-2004, 07:57 PM
This is what I think of Clay Smith

BLOWNDEAVER
02-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Fiat48
Before I say much, let me enter my disclaimer here. I don't and have never had a jet boat. Bear this in mind while reading this post.
I am confused by you changing the impellers you did and never seeing an RPM increase. 256@ .050 at .050 is not that big a camshaft, actually pretty small. The merlin head flows pretty good so I could understand more lift even possibly as high as .750 would help. At 12.5 compression with a 108 seperation I would have thought that camshaft to be very hard leaving and adequate to about 6500 rpm.
Did you ever find a camshaft that went above 5800 on your combo? Without questioning your tuning abilitys, do you think you might have had a fuel supply problem or other problem keeping you from reaching higher RPM?
Unless I have something wrong, cutting the impellor down in size is like changing gears. I don't understand no rpm increase. after changing impeller the highest rpm ever achieved is what i stated.no i have not found a different cam yet but still searching

cheech
02-10-2004, 08:24 PM
if you are running an MSD ign. system try a chip that is 500 rpm's more (but watch the tach) and see if you have a bad chip. some of them are off by 800 rpm's

littlewood
02-10-2004, 09:19 PM
You won't go wrong listening to Phil, he has been doing this for a long time. I ran a similar cam in a BBC it had 9.3-1 compression. It turned a "B" 5700 at sea-level.

TopCat
02-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Foggerjet
This is what I think of Clay Smith P.T. Barnum was right!:D :D :D