PDA

View Full Version : Why should I sell my V-drive and get a Jet?

RaysonKid
02-08-2004, 10:22 AM
Since some jet guys are bored,and have been lurking over in the V-drive section.
I thought I would pop in here and ask for reasons why I should put my nostalgic v-drive flatbottom up for sale.
Then get myself a Jet boat..?
I grew up with V-drive race boats always being in the garage. So I am going to be a hard sell...
Any good reasons?

Mohavekid
02-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Nope.
You're already too far gone. Based on your upbringing, you never had a chance.
We'll save our resources for someone we can help.:D

Checkmate
02-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Ohh, come on. Doesn't the thought of blowing an annoying pwc'r off his ride enough for ya.
Okay, let's abck it up a little....what?? Ohhh, that's right, you can't back up.:D :D
Why sell the V-drive? Keep it AND get a jet.:cool:

RaysonKid
02-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Checkmate
Ohh, come on. Doesn't the thought of blowing an annoying pwc'r off his ride enough for ya.
Okay, let's abck it up a little....what?? Ohhh, that's right, you can't back up.:D :D
Why sell the V-drive? Keep it AND get a jet.:cool:
Hey, The best of both worlds.
I like the part about blowing off lake lice...:D

victorfb
02-08-2004, 11:03 AM
oh no, i can already see this gettin ugly, but here's what i think.
your nostalgic flatty is cool. and if you love it, keep it. its what you were brought up on and its YOUR gig. i for one have always loved jet boats. and yes i consider them to be nostalgic aswell. both and many other style boats were and continue to be race boats.
i hope you didnt come here to get into a pissing match and argue about which boat is better. thats not what we are about. we love our jet boats and welcome anyone (new to boating or not) to join in the fun. i hate comparing boats to one another. its worse than the age old Chevy VS Ford deal.
pro's and con's? there are none. its all what you prefer. some say a jet can be safer for others as there is no prop to get cut up with. but any boat can be dangerous. its up to the opperator to be a safe boater. the rooster of course is a big eye catcher, and alot of us, (me included) absolutly love seeing it. not for performance reasons, but eye candy. kind of like sky rockets on the 4th of july. very cool to look at. being able to make a rooster intailes being able to adjust the boats characteristics, which in turn does help performance, but a flat has that ability aswell.
all in all id say get someone to let you drive one and see what you like. they are both awsome boats, and im sure are equally fun to drive.
im sure there are alot of people on here that will be more than happy to help you find a nice jet boat and answer as many (specific) questions you may have.

RD Express
02-08-2004, 11:35 AM
One word (REVERSE)

schiada96
02-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by RD Express
One word (REVERSE)
my v drive has reverse

Old Guy
02-08-2004, 12:01 PM
It depends on your reason for having a boat. If you just want to go fast, a v drive is just fine. If you would like to enjoy riding and sometimes go fast, then the flat bottom has gotta go. Almost any jet boat has got to ride smoother than a flat. Shallow water, rocks, and stumps do far less damage to a jet.

Jet Hydro
02-08-2004, 02:08 PM
I don't know about anyone else but I love to piss off my friends that have V-Drives when I smoke`um with my Jet boat`s....:D
Really it`s just because I have a passion for what most people say cant be done.
love proving them WRONG!( Long Story, don't ask) :rolleyes: ...lol...
There`s really more reason`s for me, but I like these the most...ROTFLMAO :D

Checkmate
02-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Jet Hydro
Really it`s just because I have a passion for what most people say cant be done.
love proving them WRONG!:rolleyes: ...lol...
Sounds just like my one buddy. He is buying a jetboat soon and wants to put an Olds engine in it because everybody says it would be stupid. So he goes a step further and says, "I'm going to build a 350 small block stroker Olds." Guess he will just have to learn the expensive way.:D

Jet Hydro
02-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Checkmate
Sounds just like my one buddy. He is buying a jetboat soon and wants to put an Olds engine in it because everybody says it would be stupid. So he goes a step further and says, "I'm going to build a 350 small block stroker Olds." Guess he will just have to learn the expensive way.:D
If he`s anything like me, he`ll find a way to make it work!
Never give up on a dream even if it`s just a dream Go Broke first...lol...
Hope he has as much GOOD luck as I have had with proving the Jet Hydro worthy.
Going broke, but making my point :D ..... ROTFLMAO

Jet Hydro
02-08-2004, 02:46 PM
BTW..... I have a bunch of olds stuff that came out of a Baja...
The guy that bought it is installing a 600+ 377 small block Chevy. Didn't want the olds stuff so I have a shop full of crap to get rid of.....

RaysonKid
02-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by RD Express
One word (REVERSE)
If I do it right the first time.. I dont need reverse. :)

02-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Jet downside?....no steering without power. I can live without reverse.:D

Jake W
02-08-2004, 03:50 PM
You have Reverse uh, I heard they only have reverse in one direction and if the wind is blowing your ****ed.
RaysonKid take your own advise .If you need to be convinced then you don't need one ,now go back to the Vdrive board.
The worst thing jet guys can say is how cool the rooster tail is the V drive guys eat that shit up.
Jake
:rolleyes:

Jake W
02-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Ops that is superdave013 and your advise mixed togeather.Owell you get the point.
Jake:D

schiada96
02-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Jake W
You have Reverse uh, I heard they only have reverse in one direction and if the wind is blowing your ****ed.
RaysonKid take your own advise .If you need to be convinced then you don't need one ,now go back to the Vdrive board.
The worst thing jet guys can say is how cool the rooster tail is the V drive guys eat that shit up.
Jake
Yep reverse is not perfect but its goes only in and out of the dock at the Bluewater. After that I have a lot of fun picking on the tunnel jet boats up and down the river.

OutCole'd
02-08-2004, 04:42 PM
You shouldnt sell your V drive & buy a jet.
You should sell your V drive & buy a I/O:D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Thats easy! just look at checkmates atavar....... see that beautiful roostertail! theres my answer;)

Jet Hydro
02-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 058
Jet downside?....no steering without power. I can live without reverse.:D
Your right about Do it right the first time *If you do it right, you wont have to worry about no steering... You`ll always have power! What happens to a flat bottom when he`s showing allot of fin and the motor lets go????
It get`s ugly
Hi 058
I knew you would get in on this one :D

schiada96
02-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Your right about Do it right the first time *If you do it right, you wont have to worry about no steering... You`ll always have power! What happens to a flat bottom when he`s showing allot of fin and the motor lets go????
It get`s ugly
Hi 058
I knew you would get in on this one :D
Nothin with some sort of propshaft release. What happens with a jet when trying to go fast and a motor lets go . I bet it would be real ugly with a jet hydro

Jake W
02-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Humm, Jetaway and popoff.
Jake:rolleyes:

schiada96
02-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Humm, Jetaway and popoff.
Jake:rolleyes:
that's my point

BLOWNDEAVER
02-08-2004, 07:05 PM
HAVE ANY OF YOU JET GUYS WON A RACE BACKING UP???????? WHY BUY A DIVERTER BUY A V DRIVE AND SOME HORSE POWER MUCH BETTER LOOKING TAIL!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE DO NOT SELL A V DRIVE AND GET A JET YOU WILL HATE YOU SELF FOR LIFE,!!!

21rayson
02-08-2004, 07:10 PM
[i]
Jake
:rolleyes: [/B] who said v-drives don't have rooster tails.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/155009_6-med.JPG .:D :D :D :D :D

BLOWNDEAVER
02-08-2004, 07:13 PM
NOW THATS A REAL TAIL MADE BY PROP AND ALOT OF HORSEPOWER NOT SOME SILLY NUCKLE ON THE END OF A NOZZLE AND ANOTHER THING REAL MEN PICKUP SPEED WHEN BOAT BLOWES TAIL JETTERS SLOW DOWN MAKES ALOT SINCE IN A MPH WORLD

Rexone
02-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Cause I'm old and feeble and skeered to go very fast any more.
disclaimer for serious jet guys w/o sense of humor (the above is a joke)

RaysonKid
02-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by BLOWNDEAVER
HAVE ANY OF YOU JET GUYS WON A RACE BACKING UP???????? WHY BUY A DIVERTER BUY A V DRIVE AND SOME HORSE POWER MUCH BETTER LOOKING TAIL!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE DO NOT SELL A V DRIVE AND GET A JET YOU WILL HATE YOU SELF FOR LIFE,!!!
Not to worry. No way , No how would I sell the v-drive.
Its great to go as fast and faster then the jets with less Horsepower and torque. Less fuel too...
If I want a rooster tail, I will just fire up Dads hydro.
Thanks for the advice. You jet guys are great. :wink:

Jake W
02-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Hey I think you Vdrive guys are great too.
Mabey later we can all hold hands and sing coumbyyah.
Jake:eek:

Jet Hydro
02-08-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by schiada96
Nothin with some sort of propshaft release. What happens with a jet when trying to go fast and a motor lets go . I bet it would be real ugly with a jet hydro
I`ll take your bet!!!!!!
Nothin I do it all the time when I`m checking the plugs for fuel mixture.
Run 1/4 mile @ WOT, shut it off, Step to the rear and pull a few plugs out, put a few back in, fire it back up, go to trailer and Smile :D
That`s the best part about a Jet Hydro, It wont spin out or take a hard turn when power drops off.

02-08-2004, 09:54 PM
It get`s ugly
Hi 058
I knew you would get in on this one :D Hey Jet hydro.....jus' tryin to get thru the winter blues:yuk:

Jet Hydro
02-08-2004, 10:02 PM
I know that one, I hate the winter!

schiada96
02-08-2004, 10:12 PM
I`ll take your bet!!!!!!
Nothin I do it all the time when I`m checking the plugs for fuel mixture.
Run 1/4 mile @ WOT, shut it off, Step to the rear and pull a few plugs out, put a few back in, fire it back up, go to trailer and Smile :D
That`s the best part about a Jet Hydro, It wont spin out or take a hard turn when power drops off.
What is the top speed you have just stepped off the gas at?

RaysonKid
02-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Hey I think you Vdrive guys are great too.
Mabey later we can all hold hands and sing coumbyyah.
Jake:eek:
Thats only going to happen if we are all at the lake.(minus the hand holding)
And I only sing after lots and lots of beer....:rolleyes:

Unchained
02-09-2004, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by RaysonKid
Not to worry. No way , No how would I sell the v-drive.
Its great to go as fast and faster then the jets with less Horsepower and torque. Less fuel too...
I keep hearing about the top speed of the Vdrives.
I'm wondering, where do you boat?
On ANY weekend here in Mi. there is so much boat traffic and the water is so rough that the only ones I see going fast are big boats that can handle the chop.
It gets old always hearing about how fast the vdrives go in the perfectly flat conditions at the drags when those conditions seldom exist in the real boating world.
Then you have to listen to,
"Back home in the garage I got"
Or,
"If the water was smooth I could"
So, do you buy a boat to use it or talk about it?

Squirtcha?
02-09-2004, 05:59 AM
I was gonna steer clear of this one, but Mark (unchained) raises a good point. A buddy of mine that I run with very frequently has a blown flattie. It's a very nice boat and a real kick to drive, but he'll be the first one to admit that at times it's too rough for his boat. On numerous outings he's commented how much nicer my jet runs in the rough stuff than his flattie do. He probably runs his v-drive in rougher water than most will, but I've seen it left on the trailer plenty too. Mind you, I'm not saying that going out in those type conditions is a picnic in my jet..........................but it is tolerable and can even be fun if not done for prolonged periods of time.
It's not enough to sell him though. He's currently shopping for another v-drive.

RaysonKid
02-09-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Unchained
I keep hearing about the top speed of the Vdrives.
I'm wondering, where do you boat?
On ANY weekend here in Mi. there is so much boat traffic and the water is so rough that the only ones I see going fast are big boats that can handle the chop.
It gets old always hearing about how fast the vdrives go in the perfectly flat conditions at the drags when those conditions seldom exist in the real boating world.
Then you have to listen to,
"Back home in the garage I got"
Or,
"If the water was smooth I could"
So, do you buy a boat to use it or talk about it?
I buy a boat to use.
I boat here in Wash. and plan to haul to Oregan and Calif.
Seems at times it could be to rough or bad conditions for any boat..
There are plenty of lakes and coves up here where " Top speed" can be attempted.
My boat is a 63, its a heavy flatbottom. So yeah, I can handle some of the rough stuff.
Better then someone with a light runner bottom.
Flatbottom v-drives are what I love.
If I wanted to go play in the rough stuff. I would have bought a v-bottom.
I dont see alot of jets playing in the rough chop either.

Squirtcha?
02-09-2004, 07:52 AM
Flatbottom v-drives are what I love
Reckon we can shut this one down. It looks like ya just answered your own question. Better stick with the v-drive, unless you want one of each.

Back Forty
02-09-2004, 09:13 AM
I got in here to late...
Somebody said Small block Olds.
just over 800hp N/A on gas /no nitrous. Ya that would be dumb. :wink:
http://www.laurerracing.com/miller1/image1.jpg
The latest Olds small block over on the Olds board clipped 900hp
N/A and no nitrous. I think it was just over400ci. :wink:

Squirtcha?
02-09-2004, 09:43 AM
That's very impressive, but are ya sure ya got the right thread there Chris?

Back Forty
02-09-2004, 10:02 AM
Ya, Somebody mentioned stroked small block Olds (to be different)on the first page of this thread. The fastest Olds powered vehicles on this earth run DX or the old 70's nascar block which is a small block. The DX blocks are a dime a dozen and available at any junk yard in the form of a diesle. Although 900hp N/A may not be possible from a small chev junkyard block with out busting it apart at the seems, the guys building these Olds setups aren't just slapping them together... ;)
I wasn't going to read this thread because I though it was going to be just a bunch of yamr'n but I fell in the vortex:D I have the Cabin Fever really bad... Blasted winter.

Jet Hydro
02-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by schiada96
What is the top speed you have just stepped off the gas at?
Low 11`s or a bit faster because I run it harder during testing than I do at the races. Duane is always telling me that during testing I run it about a 1/2 mile...lol.. :D

schiada96
02-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Low 11`s or a bit faster because I run it harder during testing than I do at the races. Duane is always telling me that during testing I run it about a 1/2 mile...lol.. :D
I asked for speed not et, half mile flat out run should be 115 or 120?

Jet Hydro
02-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Cant tell ya the top Speed, My speedo only goes to 90 that`s why I gave you the ET that has been clocked at the races.We had no way to clock it during testing at the lake. Sorry

HBjet
02-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Cant tell ya the top Speed, My speedo only goes to 90 that`s why I gave you the ET that has been clocked at the races.We had no way to clock it during testing at the lake. Sorry
Well, don't you get a time slip with MPH, ET, RT?
BTW, keep the V-drive, jets are slow.
HBjet

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by 21rayson
who said v-drives don't have rooster tails.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/155009_6-med.JPG .:D :D :D :D :D
We all know thats a pic of your neighbors jetboat:D That sure dont look like a v-drive!

Jet Hydro
02-09-2004, 09:25 PM
HBjet what kind of jackhole are you????
Read the post!!!!!!!
We had no way to clock it during testing at the lake. Sorry
I don't know of a lake that offers time slip with MPH, ET, RT

FILTHYSLICK
02-10-2004, 11:46 AM
Well, what is your fastest mph at the races?

Jet Hydro
02-10-2004, 01:23 PM
I`m not going down that road again :rolleyes:
Not fast enough to spinout or take a hard turn, But fast enough to air it all the way out @ 1/2 track. How`s that ? :D

FILTHYSLICK
02-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Sounds real fast to me.

Jet Hydro
02-10-2004, 02:49 PM
I don't know that I`d say "real fast" but it works for me :D
Anyway
The point is that any boat (Jet or V-Drive) can become real dangerous when power is lost at high speeds!

Checkmate
02-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Squirtcha?
That's very impressive, but are ya sure ya got the right thread there Chris?
I was the one that mentioned the olds small block.
Now, seriously...sure you can get hp out of any block, BUT how much $$ ?
Can you drop that 900 hp Olds engine in a jet and run it WOT all day long?
The guy I was speaking about is always on the ROP board, I don't know the name he goes by though.
He has changed his mind to go with the 455 block and not stroke it.

Back Forty
02-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Your right on Checkmate. That was an aluminum rod engine...
Just pointing out that the Olds small block is a excellent starting point if you are looking to go fast with something different. Especially when a small block (one of the previously mentioned examples) can handle way more power than any big block casting.
A fine place to start!:wink: