PDA

View Full Version : Holley Card Rebuild?

shaun
02-09-2004, 12:01 AM
My carbs definitly need to be rebuilt. According to my dad these are 660's square center squirters (i think thats what he said, i know he said 660's for sure). The carbs have not been run in probably 6 years and they needed to be rebuilt back then. They have been out in the weather under the boat cover and well after striping the boat down i'm worried about these now too. I have the rebuild kits for them but looking at the box, with all the parts (expecially the tiny ones) i'm wondering if i would be better off having somebody rebuild them for me. Can any of you guys in the So Cal area recommend a place to have this done?
Below are pics of the carbs.
http://www.reitanfamily.com/albums/MotorDisassemble/IM000802.sized.jpg
http://www.reitanfamily.com/albums/MotorDisassemble/IM000801.sized.jpg
http://www.reitanfamily.com/albums/MotorDisassemble/IM000804.sized.jpg
http://www.reitanfamily.com/albums/MotorDisassemble/IM000803.sized.jpg

roostwear
02-09-2004, 06:48 AM
My experience with 660s is that the hardest part about a "rebuild" is getting the o-rings in the transfer tube in correctly. I say, get some carb dip, read the instructions several times, then go at it. Just tear down one at first so you can refer to the other if you run into problems. Go for it!

fourspeednup
02-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Pick up a tech manual (one of the HP Books) and go for it. Especially if you have two. If it's just a basic rebuild you need--You can do it!
At work we sent carbs out to Conejo Carburetor, I don't believe they have a website but look them up in the Ventura/LA County phonebook:cool:

Squirtcha?
02-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Here's a good link with step by step instruction and photos (the photos are thumbnails, click on them to enlarge).
Holley carb rebuild (http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/1999/12/holley/index.shtml)

Squeezing Spectra
02-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Shaun if you dont want to do them shoot me an e-mail.
Bruce

shaun
02-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Thanks for all the info, i would love to learn and do them my self, but i know somthing like the carbs is one of those things that is either going to make the motor run great or like shit. I'm probably going to give it a shot.

HOSS
02-09-2004, 08:04 PM
Why do they look like 600`s?
That appears to be an older manifold. It looks as if its the ol` Pro series. They don`t make hats that tall anymore. Haven`t in quite a long time either. I had one. Mine had cooling fins on the lifter valley portion.

Rexone
02-09-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by HOSS
Why do they look like 600`s?
That appears to be an older manifold. It looks as if its the ol` Pro series. They don`t make hats that tall anymore. Haven`t in quite a long time either. I had one. Mine had cooling fins on the lifter valley portion.
Look similar to 600's but those indeed appear to be 660's (4224's). 600's had vac secondaries (1850's). That's an old Edlebrock TR2X manifold. Sold dozens of those in the 70's.
How da world's most expensive cam bearings comin Hoss. :D

rrrr
02-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by roostwear
My experience with 660s is that the hardest part about a "rebuild" is getting the o-rings in the transfer tube in correctly.
Heheh, that reminds me of the letter that was posted a while back some ****tard wrote to Holley. Remember that one? He burned his truck up because of the ol' o-ring misalignment. Somehow it was the carb's fault.
It was some rather amusing reading..... :D :D

Hotcrusader76
02-09-2004, 10:50 PM
660s...dead giveaway is the large reo pump and 1:1 linkage. Plus the secondary shaft on the passenger side has a plug near it...vacuum port.:D

shaun
02-10-2004, 05:58 PM
Funny, the boat originally came with 600's but we had issues with the motor running too rich and could never get it really to run right... my dads buddy said "here slap these on it, they are 660's", my dad looked at him and said "we got enough fuel already..." but he put them on and they worked great.
I dont know much about carbs.. Are these a good combo for my application? are they too big/small? i would assume not.

Hotcrusader76
02-10-2004, 06:26 PM
Nope. Those carbs are just fine. The funny thing is the 600 Holley and 660 both flow the same amount of fuel through their 0.139" booster.
Maybe those old 600s you had were tuned wrong. No?
Nevertheless those 660s rock and I would choose them anyday over the 600s
~Ty

HOSS
02-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Rexone, those cam bearrings are old hat. Been messin` with the pocket bike a lil. Going Pro Pocket with it. Friend of mine races/works at Daytona with bikes. When he gets in town he`s gonna trip.

shaun
02-11-2004, 01:29 AM
I wouldnt doubt that the 600's where tuned wrong... i wouldnt doubt if the 600's where just f'd up. We bought the boat from 'Roger Way' a long time ago and i think the motor was kind of peiced together with parts he had laying around.
As for the old school manifold and the hats, i like them, it's always how i remember the boat looking, hopefully they will clean up nicely :)

LeE ss13
02-11-2004, 06:47 AM
I think those 660s cleaned up should be OK. You might run into problems with that Edelbrock TR2X manifold if you start turning the engine over 6000 rpm, it will start leaning out because of the large plenums. If you jet up to compensate at higher rpm, the lower rpms will be too rich. About the best combo I have seen on those manifolds are the Holley 6109 750 double pumpers. They have short bowls so they fit on the manifold in line. They are dual feed, so no leaky transfer tubes. They have metering blocks at both ends, so both the primary and secondary use jets instead of the metering plates on the 660 secondary. Best of all they use POWER VALVES. This way you can run lean and clean through the crusing rpms and fat and mean over 6000. I drilled a hole and installed a vacuum tube into the vacuum chambers behind the power valves to measure the levels at different rpms. With an 11 to 1 427 in a V-Drive flatbottom, it held 10 inches of vacuum up to 5000 rpm. Just a thought.