PDA

View Full Version : PSI blowers

bigriverdog
02-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Alright let me have the inside scoop. Helping a son with a classic Placecraft jet. Thinking of using a PSI to get that classic old fueler look. Are they drivable at low RPM, will they work on a gas motor and where do you find the deal on one? Thanks Bob

Booster
02-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Here's one for sale.
PSI Blower for sale (http://server1.offshoreonly.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?db=parts&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=headlines&category=Superchargers&query=category)

cola
02-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by bigriverdog
Alright let me have the inside scoop. Helping a son with a classic Placecraft jet. Thinking of using a PSI to get that classic old fueler look. Are they drivable at low RPM, will they work on a gas motor and where do you find the deal on one? Thanks Bob
Is this the boys from Big Boy Toys ?
Late, Mike

bigriverdog
02-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Hey Neighbor, No just another Yucaipa hick trying to go fast on the wet stuff.

cola
02-09-2004, 06:44 PM
I think they are building a Placecraft or a Rayson cat also. I have a V bottom Essex Alandra (slow) but thinking hard about the 3.3 Whipple in a week or so. Might put me 70 + I could live with that. Do you go to Havasu or ? I think we are going Friday. Had the boat out to go to Catalina on Sunday but had to work at the last minute. So it was back to storage.
Later, Mike&Kim

100mph
02-10-2004, 10:55 PM
Do they still make these new, I thought they went out of biz years ago. But then too I have been try'in to stay away. As a blower is a lot like a BAD habit, now I'm havin weak moments again.

bigriverdog
02-11-2004, 06:57 AM
They are still building blowers. I found them in the Phoenix area. Most of their blowers are used in drag car classes.

100mph
02-11-2004, 09:46 AM
COOL, do they have website and or any contact info. Will still need alot of the rest of the package (mainly a bbc tall deck manifold), and do they have any comparision info, (to size their blower in relationship to roots 6 8 10 12 14 etc)???

bigriverdog
02-11-2004, 05:09 PM
No web site I know of. You can call direct 480-820-6511. I am buying the one from Booster in this post. He has a tall deck manifold that I do not need. Call him if you do.

F N Fast
02-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Once you go PSI you won't go back to anything else IMO. Great drivability at any RPM, you will need a larger keyway on your crank to hold the lower pulley however.
Right now the only ones being made are the billet rotor (or screws), so when buying used find out if its one of the older cast rotor (screw) blowers. Depending on use, the cast rotors could be a problem (So I've heard).
All I can say is the performance is nothing short of awesome, and of course the profile of the boat is just as cool.
http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/data/500/12dscf0019__small_-med.jpg http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/data/500/12dsc01295-med.jpg

bigriverdog
02-11-2004, 11:23 PM
F N Fast, Thanks for the info. We are going in blind on this deal and really could use some tech support from a guy running one. Your motor looks awsome. We are building this motor for an old Placecraft Tunnel that is in good shape. Looking for that top fuel look motor set-up and just something different that everybody else. I would be really grateful it we could lean on your expertise.

F N Fast
02-12-2004, 04:43 PM
I'll do better than that. How about I put you in touch with the guy that built my engine.
Dan Nelson, Jett Performance Marine 623-780-1909

bigriverdog
02-13-2004, 07:48 AM
Thanks I'll give the man a call.

Slyder
02-13-2004, 09:58 AM
Very cool looking "cruiser"!
Tough to beat the looks of the big PSI. How well does it run on carbs? How much overdrive do you presently run and what does that net you for boost? Do you run pump gas? How big is the engine (CU IN.)? And lastly, How quick and fast has it gone in this configuration............If you don't mind me askin'??
Paul

pleasantcat
02-15-2004, 08:34 PM
i saw f n fast out at pleasant and i couldnt agree more. seems all the guys who hang with dan run psi's
i would love to find a used one a start the gathering of parts process one of these days:rolleyes:
oh and you should see the daycruiser in the background of the last pic:eek: :eek: it looks just as sick as f n fast's boat.

F N Fast
02-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Slyder
Very cool looking "cruiser"!
Tough to beat the looks of the big PSI. How well does it run on carbs? How much overdrive do you presently run and what does that net you for boost? Do you run pump gas? How big is the engine (CU IN.)? And lastly, How quick and fast has it gone in this configuration............If you don't mind me askin'??
Paul
Thanks Paul, this setup runs GREAT on dual 1150 dominators. No problems to report. Not sure what the overdrive numbers are but I net 20lbs of boost. The block is 468cid, big brodix 3 heads and 100% AVGAS. So far I've hit 96.7 on the GPS (6300 RPM's) Pretty good for a heavy 21'.

F N Fast
02-16-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by pleasantcat
i saw f n fast out at pleasant and i couldnt agree more. seems all the guys who hang with dan run psi's
i would love to find a used one a start the gathering of parts process one of these days:rolleyes:
oh and you should see the daycruiser in the background of the last pic:eek: :eek: it looks just as sick as f n fast's boat.
Yeah it seems Dan started a PSI club or something. I guess holding the IHBA record might have something to do with it.
It would be hard to like a different blower now. This thing pulls like no ones business. Making 20 lbs w/o a chiller and temps not exceeding 1400 is pretty damm good IMO. It can be overdriven to 40 plus lbs (so they say). Not going to try that anytime soon, I'll leave that to Dan.
That 24' day cruiser in the back ground is a PSI deal too, but with a chiller, all polished. I'll have to get some pic's of it next time we go out.
We'll look for ya next time we go out.

Slyder
02-17-2004, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the info on your boat. It sure looks cool. We ran Pro Eliminator with IHBA in 2001 and remember Dan's boat - it hauled butt.
I'd love to know the overdrive % if you have it and how it compares to boost pressure on that size engine.
I've always loved the thought of the big screw blowers with carbs on the street or lake, I just haven't run into anyone who has tried one.
Keep up the good work!!
Paul

F N Fast
02-17-2004, 04:50 PM
I really don't know the %, but I'll find out.

565edge
02-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by F N Fast
Thanks Paul, this setup runs GREAT on dual 1150 dominators. No problems to report. Not sure what the overdrive numbers are but I net 20lbs of boost. The block is 468cid, big brodix 3 heads and 100% AVGAS. So far I've hit 96.7 on the GPS (6300 RPM's) Pretty good for a heavy 21'.
Thats pretty good.That is alot of boost.Eliminatya on these boards has a 21' daytona and with only 5 pounds of boost we hit 102.That was on pump gas without a innercooler at 6300rpm.He has pulleys and innercooler now.I think with 12-15 pounds of boost we are going to try to get 115 out of it if not more.What impeller do you run?Anyways your boat looks bad ass!

F N Fast
02-19-2004, 07:36 PM
Woo hoo, that's fast for a 21' jet. I think the impeller is an agressor stainless AB.

burtandnancy
02-22-2004, 03:21 PM
Bigriver, I have a pleasure boat with two PSI's on EFI. At first I had a few problems (mostly with switchable mufflers) but after a trip to GT Performance in Montclair, it starts, idles and runs perfectly, and is very dockable. I may have a few advantages, it has two speed B & M's and is wakeless in our marina. GT doubled my injectors, 8 in the rails and 8 in the hat. Believe it or not, I now get better economy that when I only had 8 large injectors, and no (NO) black on my transom! It took only one tuning day at Elsinore to get it all dialed in with the laptop. Finally, due to low octane fuel at my marina, GT changed pulleys so as not to pull over (x) pounds of boost in case you come up to see how fast she is...ps, the reason for PSI's is that the motors are 598 inches...

bigriverdog
02-23-2004, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the info Burt. We are going forward with the PSI for the sake of nothing else but being different. The one in this post was sold out from under us. If you know of one for sale, please pm me.

burtandnancy
03-20-2004, 07:11 PM
dog, try Prime Marine; 909 484 8338. The had an extra one for sale a while back. Ask for Mikey...

bigriverdog
03-22-2004, 06:51 AM
Thanks Burt, I'll give them a call.

superdave013
03-22-2004, 08:18 AM
PSI's are the shit but they are not the OLD CLASSIC FUELER look if that is what you are really after.

bigriverdog
03-22-2004, 04:43 PM
Yeah, your right Dave. I guess what I am looking for is more of the mag case or not polished look with a bag on it. And the boost the PSI will put out.
Burt, I called and spoke with Mike and he checked, but the ones he had are gone. Still looking. Thanks, Bob

F N Fast
04-07-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Slyder
Thanks for the info on your boat. It sure looks cool. We ran Pro Eliminator with IHBA in 2001 and remember Dan's boat - it hauled butt.
I'd love to know the overdrive % if you have it and how it compares to boost pressure on that size engine.
Paul
The overdrive is 70% for a PSI Blower.

F N Fast
04-07-2004, 09:18 PM
I just sold the PSI back to Dan, and putting a BDS 8-71 back on.
Only reason I did that, is I'm selling the boat and wanted to keep the PSI in the family as it were. Seems that everyone that's called or looked at the boat since I listed it in Jan has no idea what a PSI blower is or why they would want one over a roots blower. I get alot of questions like any idea how much it would cost to polish that thing? HUH???? - whatever.
Anyway, will be moving up a bigger ride soon.

bigriverdog
04-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Talk about timing, I just picked one up from a guy in Vegas yesturday. We still need the carburation and other hardware. Did you sell it all to Dan?

F N Fast
04-08-2004, 02:34 PM
We're doing a swap so I'm sure there won't be any left over parts.
It's depressing to think about giving that PSI up, but it's too big for the boat I want.
Jets were fun (still are), but it's time for a prop.