PDA

View Full Version : WHERE IS WATER COMING FROM

iceman
12-01-2001, 01:20 PM
THESE FORUM'S rock This is the first place I alway's come to when I'm on this machine,
Wishing I was on my water machine(chap.villian 2) 350 chevy with alpha,Ok I
have two ? water is getting in my boat while
It's running,I climbed back whith A light and
it's coming in where the drive shaft comes
trough the transom,how do I fix!? two I installed A new carb. and it doesn't have
A place for the plastic hose that went from
the fuel pump to the carb.

Infomaniac
12-01-2001, 08:16 PM
iceman: check the bellows around the drive shaft. Tighten the clamps and look it over well for holes, cracks etc.
Also check the hose connection for engine cooling water from the drive. Check the flange for this connection also. It should be right above where the drive shaft comes through the transom.

iceman
12-01-2001, 09:59 PM
I think it's my bellow's because it only
leaks when it's in the water, can I get
to it by just tilting my drive up?

Infomaniac
12-01-2001, 10:41 PM
iceman: You should be able to. It has been a while since I changed one. It is a pain in the ass. Call or send Michelle an e-mail for parts. Will save you serious bucks.
Michelle
512-261-7542
michelle@marinedepot.com (http://michelle@marinedepot.com)
ADDED THIS: Sorry. You can check it that way. To change it the drive will have to come off. This is not a big deal. Shift it into fwd. disconnect the trim cyls from the drive take off the 6 nuts and pull the drive off. Change the bellows and put it back together.
[This message has been edited by Infomaniac (edited December 01, 2001).]

Infomaniac
12-01-2001, 11:14 PM
iceman: the hose was probably the fuel pump vent. It is a safety device. I guess you put an automotive carb on. If so when you eventually put an automotive fuel pump on, problem solved. Keep a close eye on the hose until then. Fuel could come out of the hose if the pump diaphram (spelling) fails. The hose made sure any fuel went in the engine instead of the engine compartment.
I am pretty sure about this. I have only dealt with performance stuff not stock.

iceman
12-02-2001, 10:48 AM
infomaniac:Thanks for the info on parts.
I am going to check the drive shaft bellow
today. The carb is a marine 650 holley spreadbore,has one vaccum barb, and vent
hose won't fit without some adapting.

Havasu Hangin'
12-02-2001, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by iceman:
The carb is a marine 650 holley spreadbore,has one vaccum barb, and vent
hose won't fit without some adapting.
My Holley Marine 750 does not have the vent nipple, so I ran my fuel pump hose to the flame arrestor.
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy25.gif

iceman
12-02-2001, 08:17 PM
Havasu Hangin: That sounded like a good
idea so I ordered a new flame arrestor
with a vent tube,old one didn't fit anyway.
Now I need a drive shaft bellow and a gimbal
bearing.the bellow had a nasty tear.

Havasu Hangin'
12-02-2001, 08:24 PM
Those bellows will get you every time. Mine seem to last a little longer now that I store my drive in the "down" postion.
A friend of mine with that Alpha setup had the exact same problems- water in...bearing heads south. We tried to replace the bearing one year, but I think you need a special tool or something. The bellows were easier.
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy25.gif

iceman
12-03-2001, 06:48 PM
Thank's for the input guy's!!!!!!!

Infomaniac
12-03-2001, 09:11 PM
H.H. There is a trick to changing the gimbal bearing. Leave the snap ring and outer half alone. Turn the inner part 90 degrees and it slides right out. Slide the new inner half in and it is a done deal. The only thing after disturbing the bearing it has to be lined up with the splines on the engine or it is a bear to stab The drive back in.
CRAP !! I did not change the smiley again. Those things suck.
http://www.plauder-smilies.de/rough/greenchainsaw.gif
[This message has been edited by Infomaniac (edited December 03, 2001).]

nitro557
12-08-2001, 08:42 AM
that trick only works on gen1 alphas,if its a gen 2 alpha you need a puller

CV-23
12-14-2001, 12:31 PM
I had my gimble bearing totally come apart due to leaking bellows....Not a pretty sight. I was still able to get back to the dock once the rpms came up to 2,000 (makes a terrible banging sound). The gimble bearing only supports the drive shaft at lower rpms and wild trim angles. This is only an emergency trick! The shaft will center it's self at higher rpms and reasonable trim.....Mike.

mercmancolo
12-26-2001, 03:41 PM
changing a u joint bellows is no easy task. you have to pull the hinge pins on the bell houseing to get better acces. to the rear clamp. you also need bollows adheavise to put it back on with. you would better off not trying it yourself. find a good merc shop in your area to do it. pref. with cert. techs.

mercmancolo
12-26-2001, 03:42 PM
changing a u joint bellows is no easy task. you have to pull the hinge pins on the bell houseing to get better acces. to the rear clamp. you also need bollows adheavise to put it back on with. you would better off not trying it yourself. find a good merc shop in your area to do it. pref. with cert. techs.

iceman
01-01-2002, 08:01 PM
yes,it was a pain in the ass!I didn't take
off the hinge pin's but I'm sure that would
of made it easier.