PDA

View Full Version : Good reads????

betty boop
02-09-2004, 01:50 PM
I'm a bit of a readaholic and having trouble finding a good book right now and was wondering what everyone's fav book is?????
(Besides Hustler, Playboy, etc.) :)

welk2party
02-09-2004, 02:04 PM
What do you like to read? SciFi, mystery, adventure?

Jungle Boy
02-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Hey Sunnybunny. Been a while. I like to read when I get the chance. I have always liked Wilbur Smith's stuff. His last 3 books are real good, but make sure you start at the beginning cause his books are always tied together. I just finished John Grishams "King of Torts". It was good too. Mystic River is an excellent book (always better than the movie). Currently reading a book called Final Justice by W.E.B Griffin. It's starting out pretty good too. Then again there's always a magazine called Hoatboat. Don't know if you've ever heard of it. ;)

superV
02-09-2004, 02:10 PM
PlayBoy(you can read it if you like) with a Power Boat follow up!:D

FMluvswater
02-09-2004, 02:12 PM
What kind you like?
Non-fiction I'd say The Professor And the Madman can't recall author's name but I enjoyed the read. It's about the making of the Oxford dictionary. Learned my favorite word in that book. Sesquipedalian. :D
Fiction fantasy Clive Barker's Imajica.
Romance Laurie McBain's Moonstruck Madness (if you can find it)
Fiction- Thriller anything by John Saul.
Fiction murder/forensic medical thrillers anything by Robin Cook or Patricia Cornwell.
Smut anything published by Black Lace books. :)

betty boop
02-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Hey Jungle Boy, it has been awhile....how's things??? I think the last time we chatted you were heading out for holidays in the summer!!!
I like to read alot of different things....Kathy Reichs has been a fav (she's a forensic scientist) - the only thing i don't enjoy reading are westerns and stuff from the longtime past...and not really into the sci-fi area..

betty boop
02-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Hey FM, I was hoping to see a reply from you - I know your in the industry and was curious what you'd suggest!!

clownpuncher
02-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by FMluvswaterbabe
Learned my favorite word in that book. Sesquipedalian. :D
OK, I gotta ask. Too lazy to get the dictionary

FMluvswater
02-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by sunbunny
Hey Jungle Boy, it has been awhile....how's things??? I think the last time we chatted you were heading out for holidays in the summer!!!
I like to read alot of different things....Kathy Reichs has been a fav (she's a forensic scientist) - the only thing i don't enjoy reading are westerns and stuff from the longtime past...and not really into the sci-fi area..
I have read a few Kathy Reichs books also - she's good! :cool: If you like her you'd likely enjoy Patricia Cornwell too.
Oh and I have to recommend Sheri S. Tepper's Gate To Women's Country. Very humorous fascinating women vs. men futuristic yet old fashioned story ... I believe the genre is called speculative fiction. It's a wonderful story. :D

FMluvswater
02-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
OK, I gotta ask. Too lazy to get the dictionary
It means multi syllable or "foot and a half long" word! :D And it is one!!! Isn't that great?!!! :cool: :D

betty boop
02-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Was that also a movie?? I remember seeing a movie one time when women were totally in control - they were capturing the men and making them their slaves....it was great...women had 2,3 men, had them doing what she wanted, when she wanted...not that it's any different now, but it was great to see on tv!!:D

welk2party
02-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Anything from Clive Cussler, Stuart Woods, Brad Melzter
The DaVinci code is excellent
W.E.B. Griffin is good
Grisham is good

FMluvswater
02-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Hey FM, I was hoping to see a reply from you - I know your in the industry and was curious what you'd suggest!!
In the industry? Not really but I do devour books occasionally. :D Took me less than 20 hours total reading time to read Stephen King's unedited edition of The Stand. :) Another awesome read!!http://www.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

betty boop
02-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Your a writer aren't you?? To me that puts that you in the industry!!!:D

FMluvswater
02-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Was that also a movie?? I remember seeing a movie one time when women were totally in control - they were capturing the men and making them their slaves....it was great...women had 2,3 men, had them doing what she wanted, when she wanted...not that it's any different now, but it was great to see on tv!!:D
No the story is very subtle not at all like the movie you describe and yet the book has more impact ... I'm telling you find this book sunbunny! :D Read it and by the last page you will be grinning like a cat that swallowed the canary unpunished! :D

betty boop
02-09-2004, 02:31 PM
Looks like I will be taking a run to Chapters tonite!!

FMluvswater
02-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Your a writer aren't you?? To me that puts that you in the industry!!!:D
I used to write but I lost my muses. Had one male muse and one female muse and without them I can't write. Even if they aren't in my stories they are my inspiration and they are both missing in action. Maybe I'll find new muses. I hope so. :)

FMluvswater
02-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Keep me posted sunbunny and let me know if you read Gate to Women's Country. :D Gotta run swim day for me today. :) TTYL.

NOTALENT
02-09-2004, 02:41 PM
How's about the all time favorite Cather in the Rye....It is an awesome book. I am currently reading For whom the bell tolls by hemingway...awesome so far..I love his work. Its so descriptive..Like ur actually seeing what he is.

Craig
02-09-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm reading the latest Dark Tower issue by Steven King, Wolves of the Calla. Great series. I like all his stuff.
If you want a short book that paints a chilling look at life inside prison there's In the Belly of the Beast by Jack Henry Abbott.
Robert Ludlum- The Bourne Supremecy and The Icarus Agenda
Science fiction, anything by Douglas Adams, especially the Hitchhiker series.
Michael Crichton's The Lost World was so much better than the movie.
For an inside look at the auto industry in the early days, Ford, The Men & the Machine by Robert Lacey

Keithb87
02-09-2004, 03:33 PM
The Lord of the rings series is always a good read. :D
or any thing by Dean Koontz or Steven King.
"IT" was a good read by S. King