PDA

View Full Version : who's the best

framer1
02-10-2004, 09:00 PM
Got in an argument with a friend tonight after having some beers. I said Babe Ruth is the best baseball player who ever lived, he said Willie Mays. What does everybody think. Babe Ruth saved baseball after the 1919 world series, he is baseball( imho )

Kilrtoy
02-10-2004, 09:03 PM
Neither

Blown 472
02-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by framer1
Got in an argument with a friend tonight after having some beers. I said Babe Ruth is the best baseball player who ever lived, he said Willie Mays. What does everybody think. Babe Ruth saved baseball after the 1919 world series, he is baseball( imho )
You shoulda clocked him wif a slugger and got your point across.

framer1
02-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Then who?

Tom Brown
02-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Pat Hentgen.

j-rod
02-10-2004, 09:07 PM
I'm a Yankees fan anyways ( nothing taken from Willie)
What about the iron horse?
All were graet baseball players and in a league of their own!

framer1
02-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Lou was great but was he the best ever:confused:

LASERRAY
02-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Both were overrated IMO. I'd go with Pete Rose or Ty Cobb.:cool:

mike37
02-10-2004, 09:11 PM
fernando

framer1
lasseray, both were great but they hit like girls:eek:

j-rod
Lou was great but was he the best ever:confused:
Didn't he score with blonde bimbo from the 50's

framer1
02-10-2004, 09:13 PM
j-rod, I think your thinking of the wrong guy.

LASERRAY
02-10-2004, 09:13 PM
lasseray, both were great but they hit like girls:eek: Well, that's good then.:D

JetBoatRich
02-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Babe Ruth slugger who could pitch, since you narrowed it to those two. I would say Ruth:D

j-rod
02-10-2004, 09:16 PM
j-rod, I think your thinking of the wrong guy.
Oh yeah that was jo, another Yankee

framer1
02-10-2004, 09:23 PM
I guess there no baseball fans out there. What about Ted Williams, Johnny Bench, Erine Banks, Sandy Koukax, Joe DiMaggio,Cy Young, Stan Musial,Mickey Mantle,Joe Jackson, Hank Aaron,Satchel Page. Thats just to name a few.

mike37
02-10-2004, 09:29 PM
what the hell you doing up so late
you gona have the drill bits to the job at 7 tomoro

Tom Brown
02-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Chico Escuela
"baseball been bery, bery good to me"

LASERRAY
02-10-2004, 09:33 PM
THE PLAYER TO BE NAMED LATER! :D

Tom Brown
02-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Once you gents get this sorted out, let's figure out who makes the best pickup truck, once and for all.

JetBoatRich
02-10-2004, 09:35 PM
I guess there no baseball fans out there. What about Ted Williams, Johnny Bench, Erine Banks, Sandy Koukax, Joe DiMaggio,Cy Young, Stan Musial,Mickey Mantle,Joe Jackson, Hank Aaron,Satchel Page. Thats just to name a few.
Love the game, you just mentioned the two in the beginning:o and made it sound like it was about them:eek:
You can break it down different ways, by position or overall player:confused:even the ERA they played in

mike37
02-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
Once you gents get this sorted out, let's figure out who makes the best pickup truck, once and for all.
well we all know that would be FORD:D

Rexone
02-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Steve Yeager.
Actually that's the only baseball player I remember. :D
Stopped watching the crap after all the whiners went on strike. :p

MagicMtnDan
02-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Roberto Clemente.
Alright, so he's not THE best but he's one of the many top tier ballplayers. He is my all-time favorite but I'm from Pittsburgh so...
Hard to argue with Henry Aaron as the best. Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Pete Rose, Ty Cobb, Mike Schmidt, Joe DiMaggio, Lou Gehrig, Yogi Berra, Johnny Bench are certainly up there.
Pitchers could include: Walter Johnson, Sandy Koufax, Warren Spahn, Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson, Roger Clemens, Whitey Ford.
Others worth considering: Juan Marichal, Don Drysdale
Here's one person's opinion (not mine):
Starting 9
C - Yogi Berra
1B - Lou Gehrig
2B - Rogers Hornsby
3B - Mike Schmidt
SS - Cal Ripken, Jr.
LF - Ted Williams
CF - Willie Mays
RF - Babe Ruth
SP - Walter Johnson
Sitting on the Bench
C - Johnny Bench
1B - Mark McGwire
2B - Jackie Robinson
3B - George Brett
SS - Alex Rodriguez
LF - Barry Bonds
CF - Joe DiMaggio
RF - Hank Aaron
Bullpen
SP - Cy Young
SP - Christy Matthewson
SP - Randy Johnson
SP - Sandy Koufax
SP - Greg Maddux
SP - Nolan Ryan
SP - Roger Clemens
RP - Dennis Eckersley

Kilrtoy
02-10-2004, 11:08 PM
Im with ray on this one,
But were overrated.....
i like the gambler, PETE ROSE and he slidein to bases like a man.......

RiverForUs
02-10-2004, 11:27 PM
I'm a Pete Rose and Lou Gehrig fan myself.
BUT, when all is said and done, I think Barry Bonds may go down as possibly the best player to ever play the game. And that's tough for me to say because I'm not a Bonds fan at all (cocky, arrogant, and blows off the media) but he'll eventually pass Aaron for HR's and has what, something like 5 MVP awards?

framer1
02-11-2004, 07:06 AM
Without steriods Bonds is just a regular superstar. If you didn't notice after banning steriods last year nobody hit 50 home runs. Makes you wonder about all thoses 60 and 70 home run seasons:confused: I do agree about still being pissed about all those babies going on strike:yuk:

Keith E. Sayre
02-12-2004, 11:28 AM
This may be a gamble?!!!!--if I had 8 players and could pick anyone to complete my team, I'd pick Pete Rose. Seriously.
I think he tried harder and was more dedicated to the game
than anyone else. As a child, he was my hero and by far the best to watch on tv.
Keith Sayre

PowellScooter
02-12-2004, 11:33 AM
MIKE PIAZZA

GlastronGuy
02-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
http://www.willystech.com/wt/homepage/photos/LeftFront.jpg

GlastronGuy
02-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by PowellScooter
MIKE PIAZZA
Do gay players count?

Chase
02-12-2004, 11:51 AM
What about Garry Carter...:D :D

NastyOne
02-12-2004, 12:03 PM
You guys are all smokin crack..... Darrel Strawberry is the best baseball player ever.
Get it... smokin crack? hehe

JetBoatRich
02-12-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by RiverForUs
I'm a Pete Rose and Lou Gehrig fan myself.
BUT, when all is said and done, I think Barry Bonds may go down as possibly the best player to ever play the game. And that's tough for me to say because I'm not a Bonds fan at all (cocky, arrogant, and blows off the media) but he'll eventually pass Aaron for HR's and has what, something like 5 MVP awards?
He stole a lot of bases to go along with his other numbers. I am not a Bonds fan either, but his numbers are impressive.

Hustler
02-12-2004, 12:09 PM
Personally my all around favorite is Cal Ripkin jr

HOSS
02-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Joe DiMaggio---------------hands down!
Better check spelling on last name though.
He was also probably the cleanest guy in baseball. He carried his professionalism off the field as well. Plus he got to nail Ms. Monroe! Personalities like his you don`t find often in professional sports now days. His personality and demeanor are also apparent in John Riggins. Another class act. A1. Didn`t need the ice, the gold, the women, just stood as men on their own. And they did it without juice. **** Alzado that juice freak! That wasn`t a man. That was a little boy needing attention.
Where are the heroes in pro sports? Rose is one. I don`t really give a **** if he bet on baseball or not. I know its in the rules and he broke them but lets face it. He wasn`t using dope to increase his potential nor was he trying to be the class(tv) clown. These guys were and are the grid iron. Mike Schmidt is another pro baseball player who played like a man in a man`s sport!
If you don`t agree with me then **** OFF!:mad:

fear the turtle
02-12-2004, 12:26 PM
IMHO, Ruth wins easily. I think the only way to compare players is how they rate against others of their time.
In order for someone to match what Ruth did in his day today, someone would have to hit 90 home runs. Also he was an all star pitcher his first 8 years. If he didn't pitch he could of easily had another 100 hrs, plus the seasons were 10 games shorter. Only when he was traded to the Yanks did he become a full time player in the outfield.

HOSS
02-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Another great pro ball player was Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch. He was also a distant uncle of mine so he goes on the list of great ball players.
Again,,,,if you don`t like it **** you. If your one that hates me to curse then **** you twice!

Waldo
02-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Best baseball quote from a movie...
:)"Have you seen my baseball?":)