PDA

View Full Version : AntiVirus Programs

Hustler
02-10-2004, 09:23 PM
Are there any free programs out there? I have always used Norton but have never had to pay for it. I went to go buy it but hell it's 50 bucks:eek: Is there any where to down load it for free or any other program for that matter?

Scream
02-10-2004, 09:49 PM
$50? What are you downloading? The standard Norton is about $30 and is downloadable. The McAfee is a good product also and is comperable in price, it is also downloadable. If you purchase the "Internet Security" version, it's a bit more expensive, but it's also a pain in the ass to set up. I always use Norton on all my work machines and it's great.

goeasy8
02-10-2004, 10:11 PM
I use AVG it is available at www.grisoft.com and its free. works great for me.

Dr. Eagle
02-10-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Scream
$50? What are you downloading? The standard Norton is about $30 and is downloadable. The McAfee is a good product also and is comperable in price, it is also downloadable. If you purchase the "Internet Security" version, it's a bit more expensive, but it's also a pain in the ass to set up. I always use Norton on all my work machines and it's great.
Norton is a great product. It costs about 30 to 50 bucks depending on features, but that is just for one year.
McAfee... well... I have issues with McAfee. Maybe it is better now, but over the past 5 or 6 years all it would do is lock up my computers, and with some regularity.
I switched to Trend Micros PC Cillin and love it, no problems at all and it updates itself. But it is 50 bucks for a one year subscription.
The hell of it is that all of the companies are giving you a one year subscription and after that... it stops working unless you pay them another 30 or 50 bucks.

Rexone
02-10-2004, 10:15 PM
I have Norton on all 12 pcs here and it works great. $15 a year to renew. You get what you pay for. One virus infection can do more damage than 5 years of sub fees (here anyway).

bigq
02-10-2004, 10:28 PM
AVG is good has been able to catch whats new lately and it is free.
One of the best is eset, but its not free.
Nortons seems to work good, but it just uses a lot of resaurces is slower than most and is highly integrated.
What ever you do get one fast and keep it updated.

HCS
02-10-2004, 10:31 PM
I pay for the ones that create their own viruses so you can keep
paying them to get rid of um.:p

MagicMtnDan
02-10-2004, 11:08 PM
Norton yes :cool:
McAfee no :(

Hustler
02-11-2004, 12:04 AM
Thanks everyone, I went ahead got the Norton. The cheapest program I could find was 49.99

Forkin' Crazy
02-11-2004, 01:02 AM
Screw Symantec. I have gotten viruses with its fully updated versions!
McAfee works just fine. I have it on two machines at about $30 at Office Depot.
If that doesn't change your mind, maybe this will:
Symantec's liberal slant (http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/03/11/02/1729239.shtml?tid=103&tid=153&tid=99)

Rexone
02-11-2004, 02:17 AM
Any virus program is only as good as the latest defs cover. I've seen people get new viruses with McAfee too. Depends on how new the virus is and weather they've covered it. My experience with Norton has been good, doesn't mean it's perfect.
Can't make that link work either.
Kinda like the Ford vs Chevy discussions... ;)
:)

Hud
02-11-2004, 05:59 AM
The best I have found is "PestPatrol Control" I like the cookie washer.

OGShocker
02-11-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Rexone
F.O.R.D.s SUCK and I use McAfee!:D

Kachina26
02-11-2004, 06:52 AM
Trend micro's free version caught what my updated and paid for McAfee missed. Gonna upgrade to trend and lose McAfee. TREND MICRO (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/)

BiggusJimbus
02-11-2004, 08:39 AM
I have used the free AVG program for more than a year and have had Zero trouble with Viruses. In fact, I think it gets the updates at least as often as the big boys.
At this point, I'm almost willing to switch over to the paid version, but am not so sure that I want to change the functionality.

bigq
02-11-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Rexone
Well not really.;) They either work or they don't, it's not really a preference.
Here are the lab test (http://www.virusbulletin.com/)

Forkin' Crazy
02-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Hum, no linky? Try this...............
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/03/11/02/1729239.shtml?tid=103&tid=153&tid=99

mikev
02-11-2004, 10:20 AM
mcaffe is the worst norton is good but you have to pay for it and it slows your system down. I use AVG free version from free AVG (http://www.grisoft.com) i have it on all 5 of the computers we have at home and not one has ever gotten a virus.

gnarley
02-11-2004, 01:16 PM
The best defense of all is knowledge! YOU are the front line of defense on your computer! IF you are not competent at staying knowledgeable then you will probably get a virus someday.
I have not used a virus program in 5 years on my own personal system and NEVER gotten a virus.
Maintaining your computer is no different than anything else, do you service or maintain your cars, boat or home? Your computer is no different.

bigq
02-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by gnarley
I have not used a virus program in 5 years on my own personal system and NEVER gotten a virus.
Thats what the hacker that uses your machine for DOS attacks likes to here.:D J/K
Just buy a MAC and you should be fine.:D

gnarley
02-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by bigq
Thats what the hacker that uses your machine for DOS attacks likes to here.:D J/K
Just buy a MAC and you should be fine.:D
I have a firewall and only have some of the basic ports open and am quite secure :D I also do periodic scans of my system with Ad-aware and spybot.
When working I am a system administrator and know the risks and how to protect myself from them and it is a constant education.
I don't like virus protection on my system, it's like being in the boat and driving it with an anchor out and slowing the system down.

FMluvswater
02-11-2004, 03:02 PM
I use AVG. It has caught viruses and obliterated them. :cool: I also use something by McAffee called stinger (http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/). It works great also. I'm not brand loyal - I'll use whatever's free as long as it works. :D So far so good. :) Ad-aware is great too not really anti-virus but it weeds out ads that can carry trojan viruses ... I think. It finds bad stuff and gets rid of it and that's all I need to know. :D

bigq
02-11-2004, 03:37 PM
I have a firewall and only have some of the basic ports open and am quite secure :D I also do periodic scans of my system with Ad-aware and spybot.
When working I am a system administrator and know the risks and how to protect myself from them and it is a constant education.
I don't like virus protection on my system, it's like being in the boat and driving it with an anchor out and slowing the system down.
WOW, a systems administrator.;)
constant education is an understatement.:D

gnarley
02-12-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by bigq
WOW, a systems administrator.;)
constant education is an understatement.:D
I don’t know if that’s a kudos or sarcasm? The point was you need to receive something that will penetrate your system and most times it is unsolicited email or from a friend that opened or previewed an email that let code execute and sent itself to you next. I don’t open from people I don’t know unless I see a reason & I don’t open most attachments. If I don’t know for sure I contact the sender.
In addition I use Steven (http://www.softwaredevelopment.net.au/pge_steven.htm) a third party email scanning and retrieving system to force anyone who sent me a message to respond to a reply request in order for that email address to be added to my accepted list, no response, not accepted and then my email application does not retrieve junk or spam and have little to filter out.

Waldo
02-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Our home computer has been acting up a lot lately. Just yesterday it started freezing, stalling, and basically just crapping out on me. It was very hard to do anything.
I am glad this thread came up as I had let my previous free edition of Norton (which I received w/the computer) run out. I downloaded AVG last night and scanned the entire system. My computer had over 200 files infected with 3 different viruses. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Guess it was my own fault, I know I get crap from downloading music and the like. Thanks for bringing this topic to life!

GlastronGuy
02-12-2004, 11:30 AM
How about $20? (http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sales_getprod.php/masterid=1022344/lot_id=320368/ut=43a68cfe67e927b8)

bigq
02-12-2004, 03:45 PM
I don’t know if that’s a kudos or sarcasm?
A little of both, it was just the tone of your invincibility.;)
I am in the field also, just poking fun. kudos though for the constant education, sometimes keeping pace is a daunting task.:D