PDA

View Full Version : BERRYESSA IS BRIMMED (Pics)

LakesOnly
02-10-2004, 10:04 PM
Hello All,
No fancy boat shots here; just some great news that during my visit today to Lake Berryessa, I found this 165-mile shoreline lake to be just about as full as I've ever seen it.:D
I first stopped at Cappell Cove to do some prep work on the boat, including new spark plugs and oil/filters change (10 hours running time into new engine...switching to synthetic oil).
I was amazed to see the launch ramp almost completely underwater and the water level damn near the parking lot:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Cappell_210_1.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Cappell_210_2.jpg
Did my actual launch at Putah Creek Resort. Look at lake level in these pics:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Putah_210_1-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Putah_2102-med.jpg
Here are some shots at the Bridge...note again: NO HIGH WATERLINE...we're brimmed!:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Bridge_210_2-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Bridge_210_1-med.jpg
By the way, it was a great day, boat ran great, calm water and about 65 degrees--in February. Looking forward to a great, hot summer!
LO

bordsmnj
02-10-2004, 10:14 PM
nice pics! it's always nice to see a lake in CA that's actualy full. where is berryessa, central ca?

gnarley
02-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by bordsmnj
nice pics! it's always nice to see a lake in CA that's actualy full. where is berryessa, central ca?
About 10 miles east of Napa, CA. Its a real nice lake!

Kindsvater Flat
02-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Lakes you should have come to Camp Far West with us. We had a good time.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/119Image032zz.jpg

Hermosa
02-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Sweet, last night I called Steele Park resort to make some cabin reservations few weekends I love that lake. She said the water was level with the Glory Hole. Last year it was spewing over for several weeks, the level was even higher then. Will be another good year at Berryessa.

Danhercules
02-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Hey Lakes,
Looks like I will have to make a ROADTRIP!!!!!
That looked killer!!!!!!!!
how did the boat run?

LakesOnly
02-11-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Kindsvater Flat
Lakes you should have come to Camp Far West with us. We had a good time.
K-Flat,
I wanted to go to CFW last weekend; me and SangerMike were gonna head over, but both our weekend plans separately became unexpectedly overshadowed. And I just couldn't wait until next weekend to take the boat out, as the weather was too damn perfect.
I also felt it was important to get my ass up there and swap out my second fill of petroleum-based break-in oil, it just thins out WAY too much after hard running, and I'm not comfortable with the amount of oil pressure drop I was seeing. (I have literally been losing sleep over this for months.) Went to Mobil 1 yesterday; problem solved.:)
I should be at the next gathering, and I should have news about a second boat by this time next week.:D
LO

LakesOnly
02-11-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by bordsmnj
Just east of Napa, CA. Having trouble with the links (4 of 'em make up the map). Here ya go:
http://www.lakeberryessa.com/art/map_state1.gifhttp://www.lakeberryessa.com/art/map_state2.gif
http://www.lakeberryessa.com/art/map_local1.gif
http://www.lakeberryessa.com/art/map_local2.gif
LO

LakesOnly
02-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Hermosa
Sweet, last night I called Steele Park resort to make some cabin reservations few weekends I love that lake. She said the water was level with the Glory Hole. Last year it was spewing over for several weeks, the level was even higher then.
Yesterday, I too was told lake level was at the Glory Hole. This means the lake is 440 deep at the dam.
Here's a shot from last year when it was spilling over:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/350Glory_Hole_1-med.jpg
I am returning next week and will probably get this years' Glory Hole pictures.
LO

LakesOnly
02-11-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Danhercules
Hey Lakes,
Looks like I will have to make a ROADTRIP!!!!!
That looked killer!!!!!!!!
How did the boat run?
Yeah Hercules,
We could take a weekend at the lake and have a Southwind Tune-Fest.
Boat did 76.6MPH on GPS with two people and full tanks...not my best day, but a good day under the circumstances. The important thing is that after those hard long runs and subsequent stratospheric oil temps, oil pressure at 1000 rpm idle was 40 psi & 65 at 2000rpm, which is about what I'd expect due to some of the clearances in my engine...
LO

02-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Lakes, Your pics are great but there is trouble brewing for Berryessa. It seems the Sierra Club is pushing BLM to close down some or all the resorts at Berryessa and return the land back to the natural settings before development. They [BLM] are pushing for " putting family-oriented and nature-centered activities at the forefront" The Sierra Club claims " Many of our members [now] consider the lake inhospitable to the more natural forms of recreation" and stated club preferred designation and operation of the lake as a public park and campground with a limited commerical presence. Right now they are looking to eliminate the trailers/mobile homes from the resorts but that is just the first of many steps used to take over and change the lake to a more serene and natural setting with the utlimate goal of elimating or severly restricting all powerboats from the lake. For more info see the Outdoors section of the SF Chronicle Thursday Feb. 5th. Maybe I should have started a new thread instead of hi-jacking yours.

Rock-it man
02-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Looks like a nice lake ,guess id better get down there before they shut it down. Is there any boating events on that lake this summer ????
That hole Scares the he&% out of me wont want to get too close !!!!!!

fourspeednup
02-11-2004, 02:21 PM
That's what a gloryhole is? I was wayyyyy off:D

gnarley
02-11-2004, 03:04 PM
The Glory Hole is the overflow, no spillway at this lake if memory serves me and there is a cable going across the area near the dam that prevents you from getting to close.
058 I read about the problems with some of the trailers last year, I doubt that there would be more tree hugers using the lake than recreational boaters on any day, boaters need to band to gether to stop'em or they will slowly get their way. I just don't see them using it in the summer when its hot but they would want it their way or no way and they don't know how to get along.

Sleek-Jet
02-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by gnarley
058 I read about the problems with some of the trailers last year, I doubt that there would be more tree hugers using the lake than recreational boaters on any day, boaters need to band to gether to stop'em or they will slowly get their way. I just don't see them using it in the summer when its hot but they would want it their way or no way and they don't know how to get along.
I've said it on here before, and I'll say it again, boaters need to join the Blue Ribbon Coalition (here is their website www.sharetrails.org ).
These guys organized to keep public land and recreation areas from being shut down by eco-waco's.
I've been a member for several year and they are on the up and up.
That being said, it's nice to see a lake that's full. Can't wait till summer.

randy77zt
02-11-2004, 08:51 PM
another blue ribbon coalition member.i enjoy my motorsports.i want land that i support with my tax money to be open for my use.nice berryessa pics!

LakesOnly
02-11-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by 058
Lakes, Your pics are great but there is trouble brewing for Berryessa....
Tell me about it; I have a friend that has a trailer at Rancho Monticello. I was looking at a double-wide for sale there, and he said forget it because rumor is that everybody has to be out by 2008. The intentions are to make some fully government-contolled park out of the whole deal (or something like that). I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the tree-huggers are involved...
LO

Dr. Eagle
02-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Damn, I have lived in the great north state for 23 years now and I have not seen that lake full. I don't always go there every year with Folsom Lake in my backyard though.
And now I am going to be here in Southern California for a while so I will probably miss Berryessa being full! Crap!!!:(

LakesOnly
02-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by fourspeednup
That's what a gloryhole is? I was wayyyyy off:D
At 30 feet across, it could easily swallow a boat, were it not for being roped off by a string of logs...
LO

Dr. Eagle
02-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by LakesOnly
At 30 feet across, it could easily swallow a boat, were it not for being roped off by a string of logs...
LO
Pictures of that thing always scared the crap out of me... Kind of like a bottomless pit...but with water in it!;)

LakesOnly
02-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Pictures of that thing always scared the crap out of me... Kind of like a bottomless pit...but with water in it!;)
Not always, and it's a long way down when it's dry:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/350Glory_Hole_Brimmed_Edit-med.jpg
Here's an aerial with the lake at a lower level:
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/tile.ashx?t=1&s=10&x=2890&y=21315&z=10
LO

acatitude
02-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Hey RIM keith and I go to berryessa a lot each summer. In fact we are planning a big weekend trip there in the middle of May, after mothers day. I will put a post on here when the dates are confirmed. Lots of big boats will be going , some might even be as fast as you ( or faster) if thats possible. would love to see ya make it down . YOu might be surprised at the hardware

ROZ
02-12-2004, 11:27 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Bridge_210_2-med.jpg
LO
Damn, That RiverDAVE gets around , don't he...
Isn't there a fine for tagging?
:D

NorCalCat
02-13-2004, 11:52 AM
Hey Blown,
When are you planning on going. I am gonna be dialing in my new rig so I will be heading to Berryessa quite a bit. What is the best route and ramp to launch a 29'er? Comming form Marin...

dkreuzen
02-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Hello All,
Did my actual launch at Putah Creek Resort. Look at lake level in these pics:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Putah_210_1-med.jpg
LO
Damm, I can remember launching at Putah when the water was a few hundred feet from the bottom end of the pavement of that ramp. We used the ramp as the parking lot!

acatitude
02-13-2004, 07:21 PM
norcal it all depends where you are coming from, Putah always has a bunch of flats and jets and they tend to leave their trailers on the ramp which is hard for us to launch the bigger boats. The group will probably stay at spanish flat or whatever is across from there , I forgot. Im in sac so i usually launch from pleasure cove cuzz its the closest to me . I will keep ya posted. I also think don pedro is the sight for memorial day if your ready. Look forward to seeing your ride.

Rock-it man
02-14-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by blowncarrera
Hey RIM keith and I go to berryessa a lot each summer. In fact we are planning a big weekend trip there in the middle of May, after mothers day. I will put a post on here when the dates are confirmed. Lots of big boats will be going , some might even be as fast as you ( or faster) if thats possible. would love to see ya make it down . YOu might be surprised at the hardware
Not much planed yet for May except Memorial Day at Shasta so plan it and I will try to get down its not that far a drive looks like 6-7 hrs for me ,thats a piece of cake compared to Havasu or Parker,wheres the good motels close by ,im not a very good camper,I like aircond,soft bed,hot meals,no washing dishes,no bugs !!!!! etc .. I sure am picky huh !!!:D
So were talking May 15 thats the weekend after mothers day ,looks good to me !!!! ((The Berryessa Boat Bash)) sponcered by Blown Carrera & Robbie Racer !!!!!!!!
I cenceed there are many faster boats than me but probably not in the same class !!!! you have to compare apples to apples !!
so when ya sick the Big Dogs after me ! lets keep it fair !!!! hehehe !!!!:D but after the Parker deal is posted they may not even come !!! heheh !! Im in !!!!!! lets go boating !!!!!!!!

LakesOnly
02-14-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by NorCalCat
Hey Blown,
When are you planning on going. I am gonna be dialing in my new rig so I will be heading to Berryessa quite a bit. What is the best route and ramp to launch a 29'er? Comming form Marin...
I doubt Blown472 will be at Berryessa anytime soon, as he lives about 2000 miles away and is literally surrounded by lakes where he lives. (Gotta get him out here this summer, though:D)
The two widest ramps I am aware of are at Spanish Flat Resort and Putah Creek Resort. Spanish Flat puts your boat into a tiny cove that you can manuever out of with a 29-footer, whereas Putah Creek puts you into open water.
As far as getting there--with a 29-footer--avoid taking Susiun Valley Road from highway 80, as the right-hander onto Hwy 121 will be impossible with your rig (Jetboat/V-drive guys: no problem for y'all). Might want to try taking 121 in from Napa, etc to Berryessa, BUT drive this road w/o boat first to be sure. Otherwise, you'll have to come in from the east side via Hwy 128 from Winters, CA.
I will probably be there again next mid-week...beer in hand.
LO
LO

acatitude
02-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Geez RIM, now your worried about apples to apples, and same class, I never heard a guy speak so many languages as you, just bring it and run it, isnt that what you say?? or should I just say ok lets take all the 500 hp and below and thats my class for the real grocery getters? how many trophies you makin anyways?? see ya there

NorCalCat
02-15-2004, 03:51 PM
LakesOnly, Thanks for the info. I think I remember the big switch back like going to Emerald Bay in Tahoe. I will take a dry run before towing the road! What are you running? You frequent Berryessa?

Rock-it man
02-16-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by blowncarrera
Geez RIM, now your worried about apples to apples, and same class, I never heard a guy speak so many languages as you, just bring it and run it, isnt that what you say?? or should I just say ok lets take all the 500 hp and below and thats my class for the real grocery getters? how many trophies you makin anyways?? see ya there
Only makeing two Trophys one for ME and one that says
( LOOSER ) hehehe !! When ya get a date set let me know so I can reserve a room somewhere. Do I need to haul fuel or can 100 oct be bought close by,I have a 100gal tank I can put in the truck. Im only using the C16 for the Powerboat Trials then back to the cheep !!! stuff unless I Really need it for Keith !!!!! or the self proclaimed All Washed Up.

gnarley
02-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Rock-it man
Do I need to haul fuel or can 100 oct be bought close by
I don't know of anywhere around Berryessa that you can get 100, let alone 91. If it were on Clear Lake that'd be different, there is a place up there that sells Trick.
RIM, TO be safe bring your own.

LakesOnly
02-16-2004, 10:57 AM
I understand only two Marina's have pumps at the Dock, Unocal 89. One of the Marinas is Spanish Flat Resort, and the fuel at the dock ain't cheap.
I'm blending fuel also and usually buy race gas here in the bay area and put it in my tanks before I go up.
LO

LakesOnly
02-16-2004, 11:41 AM
LakesOnly, Thanks for the info.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/502/104american_av.jpg
NorCal, In all seriousness, those three chicks look very much like my past girlfriends...and in the right order, too. The one on the right looks like my current girlfriend, but Lisa has much longer hair....
Hey Everybody, How about this rain? The Glory Hole will be spilling over for sure! I am going into Oregon this week to look at a boat, and I'll stop by Berryessa's dam and get pic's of the 'Hole this year...
LO

BiggusJimbus
02-16-2004, 11:46 AM
What with Infineon (That's Sear's Point to all us locals) being so close by, you ought to be able to find all kinds of race gas in the area. Don't you think?

gnarley
02-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by BiggusJimbus
What with Infineon (That's Sear's Point to all us locals) being so close by, you ought to be able to find all kinds of race gas in the area. Don't you think?
What do you consider close? On your way someplace or at you’re destination? RIM was asking about hauling fuel and since he lives in Oregon I don't think it would be very convenient for him. Some of us locals could get by Sears Point if we needed it. But for him it would add an easy 2-3 hours to the trip.
RIM if you needed to get good race gas and you don't want to haul it over the Cascades you might be able to stop in around Anderson, CA just south of Redding. There is a NASCAR 1/3 mile track at the Shasta County fairgrounds and I would think someone around there also sells fuel and its right off I5 south.

Rock-it man
02-18-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by gnarley
What do you consider close? On your way someplace or at you’re destination? RIM was asking about hauling fuel and since he lives in Oregon I don't think it would be very convenient for him. Some of us locals could get by Sears Point if we needed it. But for him it would add an easy 2-3 hours to the trip.
RIM if you needed to get good race gas and you don't want to haul it over the Cascades you might be able to stop in around Anderson, CA just south of Redding. There is a NASCAR 1/3 mile track at the Shasta County fairgrounds and I would think someone around there also sells fuel and its right off I5 south.
Thanks ! I can haul 100 gal in my truck tank so will be using Av gas as its easy to get on the way down and will work at 10 lbs boost which is all I will need to take care of The Robbie Racer !!! hehehe !!! and any others with stars in there eyes !!!!!

NorCalCat
02-18-2004, 01:07 PM
Lakes,
They may just be your past girlfriends, but now they are all mine! :D
I made a drive up to Berryessa on Saturday in the rain, I went up 121 through Vallejo. Not bad, there were a few turns that may be tricky with on coming traffic towing a 29; with a Suburban. Then I took a right coming home from 128 going towards Ruthuford. I thnk the tow is easier that way, around Lake Hennisee.
The Lake was to the RIM! Anyone know the levels of Shasta?

LakesOnly
02-20-2004, 10:03 AM
Anyone know the levels of Shasta?
Well:D
It just so happens that I drove up the 5 into Oregon yesterday to look at a boat. And I drove right over Lake Shasta.
These pic's are taken as I was driving accross the bridge, so they're not the best, but you get the idea!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Shasta1-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Shasta2-med.jpg
LO

Danhercules
02-20-2004, 11:13 AM
HEY!!!
Thats not your truck!!!!:D
By the way were you driving or taking the pics?:D

LakesOnly
02-20-2004, 01:21 PM
HEY!!!
Thats not your truck!!!!:D
It's Sanger Mike's truck. He loaned it to me since his truck is more trustworth than mine...I went solo.
By the way were you driving or taking the pics?:D
Yes. :D ;)
LO

Thunderbutt
02-21-2004, 01:52 PM
I had a mobil home at Berryessa Marina for 15 years and for 10 of thoses years they were saying that the fed's were going to kick us out, I sold mine for 45K and there are others that sold for more then that. What I'm trying to say if the fed's tryed to do that it would be the biggest law suit ever. If you need racing fuel the airport in Napa use to sell to boats

moneysucker
02-22-2004, 11:22 PM
We could take a weekend at the lake and have a Southwind Tune-Fest.
I'll bring mine. I will probably still be up here this summer anyways. They keep dangling projects in So. Cal in front of me but they are still a ways out and I am the only one in my company who will come up here. I am currently on a project in SF and have annother one 2 blocks from this one about to start. I do plan on getting the boat out a lot more this summer. I have enough room in the companies wherehouse to store it for a few weeks while I have it up here.
How choppy does that lake get in the summer? If it is like Lake Mojave; then I was just kidding about coming up.
Cy