PDA

View Full Version : My Son's School.

OGShocker
02-11-2004, 09:24 AM
I am headed out to surprise my 6 year old at school today. I am going to be the "room dad" in his kindergarden class. From what the teacher tells me, I am the first father in her 20+ years to do this. WTF? Have any of you guys done this kinda thing?
I am a little nervous about starting something that will upset the balance of nature. I do not what to become the poster child for the hated dads society. I can just hear the other kids now.... "His Daddy did it, why won't you"?
Help!

Keithb87
02-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Good for You .. :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
02-11-2004, 09:28 AM
I think it is great that you are doing it.. I hope you enjoy it and have fun.. Not very many Dad's would do this and you are the exception.. Two thumbs up for a great Dad.. Plus it will give you more time with your son. even though it is not individual time .. it is still precious time.. Greatest Dad award goes to you.. ;) :D :cool: :cool: :cool:

Tom Brown
02-11-2004, 09:30 AM
I think it's great. :)
... but if I was a father, I'd probably want to kick you in the junk. :D

Jungle Boy
02-11-2004, 09:33 AM
You'll have fun. With my oversea's work schedule of a month on and a month off I was able to go on many school outings with my daughter's classes. Trips to the zoo and planetareum ect. It was always fun and the other mothers always thought it was pretty good of me. After a few trips, the kids tried to be in my group cause I'd try to make it fun for them. :cool:

Havasu_Dreamin
02-11-2004, 09:37 AM
That's awesome that you are doing that! I remember when I was in elementary school my dad used to come and ahve lunch with me every Friday, it was great!

JetBoatRich
02-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Very cool, I make all the events I can at my kids school. Donuts for Dad's is one of my favorites:D Father's Day thing.
I have been lucky enough to be around home lately and participated in the last few parties at my son's second grade class.:D
Have fun

Waldo
02-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Good for you! I think the kids will dig it and not harp on their own fathers for it.
I am going to a "father/daughter" breakfast on ST. Patty's Day at my daughters preschool....I can't wait to skip work that day to spend that time with her...don't tell my boss.:D :D :D

mikev
02-11-2004, 10:07 AM
you will have a great time most Dad's are to busy to take the time out. my daughter is in second grade and thinks its the coolest thing whe daddy comes to school for anything. Enjoy it while you can they grow up so fast. I have yet to here anyone complain that they spent to much time with there kids and not enough time at work.

ROZ
02-11-2004, 10:12 AM
I think it's totally cool dude! This is the type of envolvment that strengthens the parent child bond even more. You kid is really going to think your the shit now!
Since this rates high on the cool scale for a kid, this will add to the realization that mom is the hammer and dad is the fun one. Momma may be a little jealous...lol:D

OGShocker
02-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks! I am on my way...

RJ Nordic
02-11-2004, 05:45 PM
As a school administrator my hat's off to all you dads that visit the school and spend time with your kids.
Go out on the playground and shoot some hoops, play jumprope, handball, or 4 square. Watch all the kids come over and want to play with you.
So many of our kids have no positive male role model in their lives, this is a great time for both of you.
:D :D :D
Take along your child's favorite book and ask the teacher if you can read it together to the class.
Ask what the school is doing for "Read Across America Day", be a part of it.:idea2:

Scream
02-11-2004, 05:51 PM
Take advantage of it while you can. When they get into Jr High and High School, all bets are off. They'll even to remind you that it's back to school night the day after.

Ziggy
02-11-2004, 06:00 PM
OG thats frickin great man---you won't regret it for a second.
My daughter thrives on it when I take her to school or go to events at school with her..done a handfull of father/daughter dances, special events, etc..The school is planning a father/daughter sleep over in the near future--can't wait.

MRS FLYIN VEE
02-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Hey OG how was your day at school? Hope it was good.. ;) :D

ROZ
02-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by MRS FLYIN VEE
Yea, meet too...
Maybe he's not back from detention yet?
;)

redneckgirl
02-12-2004, 09:23 PM
OG So how did you like it? I work in our kids class every week, I spend 1 hour in each kids class, my employer is great and lets me do it. I have been doing it for 3 years now, we have a son in 4th grade and daughter in 1st grade. It is the best thing I have ever done. You get to know the teachers and the kids, so if there is a problem you understand the personalities of everyone and can make a better judgement. Keep it up :) :) The kids love it and so do the teachers. I am sure it will end quickly for me, sixth grade is coming soon...:yuk: :yuk:
RNG

hboldno7
02-12-2004, 09:39 PM
When i was in 2nd grade my Dad came into my class dressed as good ole Abe lincoln. he was a prop for a history project. When I am a dad some day, I will try my best to be as good of a dad as mine has been.

JustMVG
02-13-2004, 12:33 AM
i do it all the time for my girls, if they have an event or in class thing, they ask and i go, schedule permitting that is, i have a great time, glad to see that more of you do this too.
Mike VG

Kindsvater Flat
02-13-2004, 12:35 AM
I don't do the classroom thing but I haven't missed a field trip since he was in kindergarden. Its a blast then. In may his class is going to san francisco for a week.

jerry billet
02-13-2004, 03:56 AM
Did plenty of that. Have 5 kids. Even taught a cooking class for the fourth grade. Was asked to come back even after my kids were moved on. Still donate time for field trips. If they come up needing a driver on a short notice, can usually help out. they always go to cool places.
And good for meeting the other moms.
Jerry

Mandelon
02-13-2004, 04:13 AM
My wife volunteers in the kids' classes a couple days a week. The kids like it, the teacher loves the help, and the wife enjoys being involved. I go to the events when asked, usually once month for a program or presentation type thing. Having the dads show up is very cool.
RD, a "room dad" or "room mom" is one of the parents that helps out regularly with the daily stuff, or special events. They help out with rides, assisting the teach and kids with work, and bringing lots of cupcakes....:D

MagicMtnDan
02-13-2004, 06:36 AM
Hey OG, now I know you're cool - you've got:
1. A nice 27' Dana
2. A bunch of pics of so many hotties on/in your boat that it almost capsized
3. You're doing this cool thing at your kid's school
:)

Laveyman
02-13-2004, 07:04 AM
I've done it several times with Joyce's daughter CAssie. It's usually pretty fun, and the sense of pride your kid will get having you involved in their class is immeasureable! I'm going to drive a group of to San Onofre Nuke Plant next week for one of their field trips. Cassie is already glowing about having me there with her class. It's their chance to show how cool their dad is. Don't ever pass up the opportunity to get involved in your kids schooling. You'll both benefit.

Infomaniac
02-13-2004, 07:26 AM
Great job man !!! You are a good dad.
I meet my kids for lunch all the time. Have for many years.
They let me eat with them in the cafeteria until about the 5th or 6th grade. After that grade it is not cool. I bring enough french fries for their whole class. It is a big hit.
My daughter asked her friends if it was OK and allowed it once in the 7th grade.
Now I have to "take them out" to lunch. I show up unannounced for that.

NastyOne
02-13-2004, 08:44 AM
The real question is does he have a hottie teacher?

Havasu_Dreamin
02-13-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by hboldno7
When I am a dad some day, I will try my best to be as good of a dad as mine has been.
My dad and I may not always agree but he has been the best dad and I too hope that I can be even 1/10th the dad he has been to me!

OGShocker
02-21-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by MRS FLYIN VEE
IT WAS GREAT!!!!!
I taught the kids about BUGS! The little girls kinda freaked out when I told them about the tastey ones;) My son could not stay focused and jumped up to hug his dad every couple of minutes... That was the SHIZNIT! The sad part was looking in the rearview mirror and seeing my son waving goodbye, knowing I was headed out of town...:cry:
I have not responded because I split straight from class to Canada. I was on a two week road trip for work.
Thank you all for the stories, I plan to do this sort of thing more often.
OGS

SLAPPING_GLASS
02-21-2004, 11:30 PM
Hell i do the same thing every friday OGSHOCKER have to tell you i get a kick out of it ...........Have a good one