PDA

View Full Version : Atkins coroners report...

betty boop
02-11-2004, 09:34 AM
front page of my paper this morning - Atkins, founder of the diet, died from obesity and heart problems, all due to his diet....
maybe someone will find the whole story on the net, i just happened to find it in the paper and not sure how to get the whole story on here without typing it

Tom Brown
02-11-2004, 09:35 AM
I heard they found him naked... in the bathroom.

MRS FLYIN VEE
02-11-2004, 09:35 AM
I also heard he fell down and hit his head causing him to go into a coma. they then said because of the coma and laying in a bed it caused water gain.. Hmmmm what do you think,, :confused: :D

Tom Brown
02-11-2004, 09:37 AM
That sounds plausible MFV, but it doesn't explain the four inch pumps. :confused:

bigq
02-11-2004, 09:49 AM
yes he slipped outside his office and cracked his head. The guy was like 78 I think. it's not like he was 40 and died of a massive corinairy(sp).
I know he had some kind of heart problem from a known virus or something.:(
The man is dead and I don't see why they want to destroy him now. The diet has been examined by other sources, not just some wacko doctor.:confused:

topless
02-11-2004, 09:49 AM
Heres the death certificate
Atkins death (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/bloombergatkins1.html)

bigq
02-11-2004, 09:50 AM
Love that Avatar sunbunny.:p :D

bigq
02-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by topless
Heres the death certificate
Atkins death (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/bloombergatkins1.html)
well there you go;)

Tom Brown
02-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Back when the Atkins diet first came around, I was living with a woman who was one of the first adopters. It was interesting how many doctors were quick to cite high cholesterol, stroke, heart disease, and other issues likely to be caused by the diet.
I encouraged her not to do it but she was strong willed, did it, and lost some weight. A couple of years later we found out that there was no evidence of cholesterol problems caused by the diet and, if anything, it tended to lower it a wee bit.
It seems like a case of jealousy for someone who came up with a unique and successful solution to an age-old problem which no one else had thought of before. My hat is off to Dr. Atkins and his transvestite lifestyle.

Froggystyle
02-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Tom.... you rule.

eliminatedsprinter
02-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
Back when the Atkins diet first came around, I was living with a woman who was one of the first adopters. It was interesting how many doctors were quick to cite high cholesterol, stroke, heart disease, and other issues likely to be caused by the diet.
I encouraged her not to do it but she was strong willed, did it, and lost some weight. A couple of years later we found out that there was no evidence of cholesterol problems caused by the diet and, if anything, it tended to lower it a wee bit.
It seems like a case of jealousy for someone who came up with a unique and successful solution to an age-old problem which no one else had thought of before. My hat is off to Dr. Atkins and his transvestite lifestyle.
Actually when it first appeared in the 70s it was more extreme and people who followed it to the letter often sufferd extreme wasting of lean body mass. At the time there were numerous deaths do to cardiac atrophy that were attributed to it. This more recent version is less restrictive on carbs, so this time around there are far less of these sorts of problems.

mirvin
02-11-2004, 10:44 AM
It's funny, there's a definate smear campaign going on right now. Can you blame em? I'm sure it's being orchistrated by the bread & grain industry or maybe the sugar & sweets industry.
Mirvin

eliminatedsprinter
02-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by mirvin
It's funny, there's a definate smear campaign going on right now. Can you blame em? I'm sure it's being orchistrated by the bread & grain industry or maybe the sugar & sweets industry.
Mirvin
The only people who are smearing it are the P.E.T.A. vegan types, because they will smear anyone who they percieve as promoting the eating of meat.
As far as the rest of us (health care types) our concernes are based largely on how bad it was the first time around. And the fact that objective properly peer reviewed scientific reasearch has yet to validate it's effectiveness and safety in it's current form.
There really hasn't been time for any quality long term/ large sample sized studies to provide enough objective data for the health care field to embrace it yet.

MobyMan
02-11-2004, 11:36 AM
I know,
Let's ban the diet all together. It worked for Ephedra.
No doubt we'll be seeing a lot more examples of how some fat ass moronic slobs that die from heart disease manage to have their deaths attributed to the diet.
The papers will interveiw their next of kin, and we will all be told that if (fill in name here) had only known of the possible downsides to the Atkin's life style if not followed properly, they would still be alive today. Upon further research the autopsy will show that this person was gobbling down thousands of grams of carbs in private and had only read the first two pages of the book, but that information won't find it's way back to the media.
In the end, we will probably need the FDA to step in and protect us from ourselves once again. :mad:

bigq
02-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by eliminatedsprinter
The only people who are smearing it are the P.E.T.A. vegan types, because they will smear anyone who they percieve as promoting the eating of meat.
As far as the rest of us (health care types) our concernes are based largely on how bad it was the first time around. And the fact that objective properly peer reviewed scientific reasearch has yet to validate it's effectiveness and safety in it's current form.
There really hasn't been time for any quality long term/ large sample sized studies to provide enough objective data for the health care field to embrace it yet.
But yet there was for everyone to jump on the Hi carb low fat diet frenzy of the late 80's and 90's.
I guess that has nothing to do with the wide body kids and increase in diabetes or many of the other health problems.....oh wait thats video games:D .
actually you can be a vegan and have a hi protein low carb diet. I see your point though.

rrrr
02-11-2004, 12:49 PM
I agree with those that think it's just fashionable to bash the guy. Typical bullshit from the press and shortdicks of our time. He lived to be 80, and died from an accident. What more dooya want?
Friggen' talking heads drive me psycho!!! :mad:
Or reject it either. You can't criticize OR praise it if the studies haven't been done properly.

eliminatedsprinter
02-11-2004, 01:19 PM
Well, I' m just one of those old foggies who (for normal healthy people) believes in a well balanced diet that contians good food from all of the major food groups. Sort of an all things in moderation approach. I do not believe that refined suger is bad for you. It's just that it is just a poor source of nutrients, so it should not be ingested in massive quanties, the way so many people do. The same is true for many fats and almost all saturated fats.
For a health care type, I actually have an open mind twards the Atkins diet. I know many dietitions who think it is looney and even dangerous for many people.
I don't blame them for thinking that, because some of the "scientific" claims of the atkins foundation are nuts and based on what can mostly be called pop or junk science. You see, for many people if they see huge flaws in the "science" behind it they figure it must also be nutty. I'm not that way. I have seen some good results in people who are on it in it's current form. Just because the atkins people are basing there diet on near voodoo doesn't mean it can't work. For example in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries europeans believed that swamp gasses or vapors caused maleria. So, when they settled in the tropics they drained the swamps. Just because the reason was flawed didn't mean the practice was bad. This is how I feel about Atkins it seems to work for many, but at present know one seems to know why (least of all it's proponents).:cool:

Tom Brown
02-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Knock it or not, it does seem to work. My friend Jeff has lost several dress sizes on it.

eliminatedsprinter
02-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Knock it or not, it does seem to work. My friend Jeff has lost several dress sizes on it.
:D:D :D :D One of your best Tom...LOL.

Forkin' Crazy
02-11-2004, 01:37 PM
LMAO!
I think it works. Carbohydrates, or sugars, are converted and stored as fat in the body. Potatoes (baked, fried, etc) is made of complex carbohydrates that are broken down into sugars. That's why I laugh at the so-called healthy (diet) foods that most fast food restaurants that advertise it as such (like Wendy's).
Fat on the other hand, takes way longer to be broken down into sugars so it can be stored as fat. That is why you can eat a lot of meat in a protein diet.
Before every summer, I diet. I stop drinking cokes, and eating complex carbs. It works for me.
BTW Tom, I don't go by dress sizes....:eek:

eliminatedsprinter
02-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Forkin' Crazy
LMAO!
I think it works. Carbohydrates, or sugars, are converted and stored as fat in the body. Potatoes (baked, fried, etc) is made of complex carbohydrates that are broken down into sugars. That's why I laugh at the so-called healthy (diet) foods that most fast food restaurants that advertise it as such (like Wendy's).
Fat on the other hand, takes way longer to be broken down into sugars so it can be stored as fat. That is why you can eat a lot of meat in a protein diet.
Before every summer, I diet. I stop drinking cokes, and eating complex carbs. It works for me.
BTW Tom, I don't go by dress sizes....:eek:
Hmmmm Instead of pointing out the physiological flaws here (minor). I'll take this one step further into the simpliest proven facts on wt loss.
Wt gain or wt loss is basically based on one simple equation.
Energy in VS Energy out......
Energy in > Energy out = Wt gain
Energy out >Energy in = Wt loss
Energy out= Energy in = Wt maint.
Fats, the upside. They are absorbed in the gut slower than carbs and ETOH.
Fats the downside. They contain almost 4 times the usable energy per gram as protien, carbs, or ETOH (yes Elizabeth your body does break down ETOH for fuel or break it down and store as fat).
Protiens may be absorbed a little bit slower than , but contain about the same amount of usable energy as carbs or ETOH.
These are some simple basic undisputed facts of wt loss and wt gain that have been proven over and over again in every species of animal that has been tested for such things.
To achieve wt loss all one has to do is establish a negitve energy balance. If wt loss on a scale is all that's important to you, how you achieve a negitive balance is irrelevant. Of course there are healthy ways and less healthy ways to do this. All I'm saying is learn as much as you can about about your body from as reliable of sources as you can.
It never stops amazing me how so many people will spend countless hours reading goofy health mags, but never even think of picking up a basic physiology text. If you got a new merc 300x ProMax and had to care for it yourself would you get a merc tech manual or would you get a bunch of back issues of Boating Life and hope you could find enough good info in there?....
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FMluvswater
02-11-2004, 11:24 PM
http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v56/FMluvswaterbabe/popcorn.gif this is getting good.

bigq
02-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by eliminatedsprinter
Hmmmm Instead of pointing out the physiological flaws here (minor). I'll take this one step further into the simpliest proven facts on wt loss.
Wt gain or wt loss is basically based on one simple equation.
Energy in VS Energy out......
Energy in > Energy out = Wt gain
Energy out >Energy in = Wt loss
Energy out= Energy in = Wt maint.
Fats, the upside. They are absorbed in the gut slower than carbs and ETOH.
Fats the downside. They contain almost 4 times the usable energy per gram as protien, carbs, or ETOH (yes Elizabeth your body does break down ETOH for fuel or break it down and store as fat).
Protiens may be absorbed a little bit slower than , but contain about the same amount of usable energy as carbs or ETOH.
These are some simple basic undisputed facts of wt loss and wt gain that have been proven over and over again in every species of animal that has been tested for such things.
To achieve wt loss all one has to do is establish a negitve energy balance. If wt loss on a scale is all that's important to you, how you achieve a negitive balance is irrelevant. Of course there are healthy ways and less healthy ways to do this. All I'm saying is learn as much as you can about about your body from as reliable of sources as you can.
It never stops amazing me how so many people will spend countless hours reading goofy health mags, but never even think of picking up a basic physiology text. If you got a new merc 300x ProMax and had to care for it yourself would you get a merc tech manual or would you get a bunch of back issues of Boating Life and hope you could find enough good info in there?....
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
People just need to watch what they are putting in for that energy. I have heard people that are suppose to be trained in nutrition say it does not matter where it comes from as long as you have less coming in than you are useing. Eat a bunch of carbs and fat with little protein and you will lose weight just not fat, but "lean body mass". next thing you know you have uncontrolled insulin levels that lead to you heart disese, insomnia, diabetes, dogs and cats living together, all kinds of weird stuff.:D

Jungle Boy
02-12-2004, 01:59 AM
I agree that if you eat properly from all the food groups and get off your fat ass and exercise regularly then 99% of the people that are fat wouldn't be. Most of the fatties that I know just plain eat too much and are lazy. They pig out and head straight for the sofa, then snack all night long before going to bed. By the way - PETA can lick my ass too.
There's room for all of God's little creatures - Right next to the mashed potatoes. :D

MagicMtnDan
02-12-2004, 06:35 AM
Here's the story on Dr. Atkins and the people going after his legacy by attacking him after he's dead (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39654&perpage=25&highlight=atkins&pagenumber=4)
"Controversy" now over how Dr. Atkins died
Diet guru Dr. Robert Atkins, who died last year after a fall in New York, had a history of heart disease and weighed 258 pounds at the time of his death, a newspaper reported Tuesday. Atkins' popular diet stresses people should eat high-protein meats and cheese over carbohydrates in order to lose weight.
Before his death, he had suffered a heart attack, congestive heart failure and hypertension, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing a report by the city medical examiner.
At 258 pounds, the 6-foot-tall Atkins would have qualified as obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s body-mass index calculator.
Atkins, 72, died last April after suffering a head injury in a fall on an icy city street.
Viral infection responsible?
Stuart Trager, chairman of the Atkins Physicians Council in New York, told the Journal that Atkins’ heart disease stemmed from cardiomyopathy, a condition thought to result from a viral infection.
Veronica Atkins issued a statement acknowledging that her husband had been diagnosed with a heart condition known as cardiomyopathy about three years before he died, and that he had had a cardiac arrest in April 2002.
She accused “unscrupulous individuals” on Monday of trying to use his history of heart disease to discredit his ideas about healthy eating.
“I have been assured by my husband’s physicians that my husband’s health problems late in life were completely unrelated to his diet or any diet,” she told the Journal.
Atkins’ weight was due to bloating associated with his condition, and he had been much slimmer during most of his life, Trager said.
According to some estimates, about 10 million Americans follow the Atkins diet or some version of it.
The medical examiner’s report was given to the Journal by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, a group that advocates vegetarianism. The medical examiner’s office told the Journal that the report had been sent to the group in error.
The diet guru’s widow, Veronica Atkins, was outraged that the report had been made public.
“These individuals have gone so far as to obtain my husband’s personal and confidential medical information from the New York City Medical Examiner’s office for distribution to news organizations in direct and knowing violation of federal law,” she said.
“Obviously such people will have no trouble picking and choosing bits and pieces of fact and supposition to mislead the world.”
On Tuesday, the medical examiner’s office would say only that Atkins died of a head injury from the fall.
“I can’t comment on people’s previous conditions. It’s against the law,” said spokeswoman Ellen Borakove.
Borakove said that, because of family objections to an autopsy, the medical examiner had conducted only “an external exam” and a review of Atkins’ hospital records.
She said a report had been sent to a doctor in Nebraska who requested it, and said he apparently gave it to the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.
It was later discovered that the doctor was not “the treating physician” and should not have had access to the report, Borakove said. The medical examiner’s office plans to complain to Nebraska health officials, she said.
One of the handwritten comments in the medical examiner’s report referred to “MI” (myocardial infarction, the technical term for heart attack), the newspaper said. Trager said Atkins had no record of having had a heart attack, saying medical histories on examiner’s reports are often written by less-experienced doctors who may not know a patient’s detailed history.
Last month New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg sparked controversy when, during a lunch with Brooklyn firefighters, he described Atkins as “fat.” Atkins' widow demanded an apology and Bloomberg later offered to buy her a steak lunch to make amends.

Sleek-Jet
02-12-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by FMluvswaterbabe
http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v56/FMluvswaterbabe/popcorn.gif this is getting good.
I don't know if it was your intention or not, but that smilley is a beautiful little piece of irony. :D

XTRM22
02-12-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Jungle Boy
There's room for all of God's little creatures - Right next to the mashed potatoes. :D
Hey Jungle Boy, That's one of my lines!:D
WHat's your gripe with PETA?
People for the Eating of Tastey Animals :p
Chuck

FMluvswater
02-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
I don't know if it was your intention or not, but that smilley is a beautiful little piece of irony. :D
I didn't think anyone else would get that. ;) :)

Tom Brown
02-12-2004, 10:55 AM
:(