PDA

View Full Version : batts

FlatUgly
02-11-2004, 05:06 PM
I run a couple of yellow top optimas in my burb with 3500 watts and its cool all day charges up fast with the fact 165 amp alternator too just a simple though

Tom Brown
02-11-2004, 05:32 PM
I run a red top in my boat. Does anyone know if Optimas like pulse width modulated charging? Should I get one of those fancy electronically controlled chargers?

25 Eagle
02-11-2004, 05:37 PM
I run the blues and have to replace them after 22 months. Something is draining them even with the Perko turned to OFF. WTF? Any ideas

BoatFloating
02-11-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by 25 Eagle
I run the blues and have to replace them after 22 months. Something is draining them even with the Perko turned to OFF. WTF? Any ideas
Is your stereo ran directly to your batteries??? most of the time you do. That would be the first guess. If you turn off perko then you stereo amps and disc changer etc. will draw from your batteries.

Tom Brown
02-11-2004, 05:43 PM
I have a battery switch on my boat and my red top drains when it's disconnected. I think that's just the way they are with a fairly low internal resistance. I've run them in cars for years. That 22 month number doesn't sound right.

Havasu Hangin'
02-11-2004, 05:46 PM
I hate to say this, but Augustus Gloop (Boatfloating) is right.
Amps have capcitance built in. If your stereo is hooked directly to the batteries...it will drain them keeping it charged. If you pull the cable, look for a small spark.
That's probably not the case, though. Eliminator would never rig a boat incorrectly.

Tom Brown
02-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
...look for a small spark.
You can also use a test light or volt meter between the cable and battery post to see if there's any power flowing. With everything off, the light shouldn't glow and the voltage should read 0. :cool:

CA Stu
02-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by 25 Eagle
Look at your wiring. I bet you have something wired directly to the batts upstream of your isolator switch.
In my case, it's a connector that runs to a Carbon Monoxide detector in the cabin. That little bastard has a real small draw, but it will eventually suck my battery dry.
Thanks
CA Stu

Havasu Hangin'
02-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
You can also use a test light or volt meter between the cable and battery post to see if there's any power flowing. With everything off, the light shouldn't glow and the voltage should read 0.
..or if your old-school lead acid golf cart battery explodes...then you had a spark.

Tom Brown
02-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Nice. :D
Here's the FAQ from Optima's site. :)
Optima FAQ (http://www.optimabatteries.com/faq.asp)

FlatUgly
02-11-2004, 06:22 PM
screw it red top optimas are 3 year free replacement just get new ones lol

Tom Brown
02-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Does Xantrex have any competition in the electronically controlled battery charger field? I'm thinking the Truepower 10 would be a nice charger to leave on all the time while my boat is in the garage. They must have some competition, though.

BoatFloating
02-11-2004, 06:43 PM
I hate to say this, but Augustus Gloop (Boatfloating) is right.
Amps have capcitance built in. If your stereo is hooked directly to the batteries...it will drain them keeping it charged. If you pull the cable, look for a small spark.
That's probably not the case, though. Eliminator would never rig a boat incorrectly.
Stop the presses he said I said something right and he didn't call me Goatblowing. I feel special today. HH, did you get laid last night????

Havasu Hangin'
02-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
I feel special today.
Augustus...you are always special (as in "Special Olympics").
HH, did you get laid last night????
Neither me nor Mrs. Goatblowing are admitting anything.

BoatFloating
02-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Augustus...you are always special (as in "Special Olympics").
Neither me nor Mrs. Goatblowing are admitting anything.
I set you up for that one because she did have a smile on her face and I asked her why? Her response the best 2 seconds of her life, you da man HH....

Tom Brown
02-11-2004, 06:53 PM
The current flows free through the one ohm bone jockey.
... had ta :D

mbrown2
02-11-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
Does Xantrex have any competition in the electronically controlled battery charger field? I'm thinking the Truepower 10 would be a nice charger to leave on all the time while my boat is in the garage. They must have some competition, though.
They do, Guest is another maker. Do a search on West Marine for Battery Chargers and it will bring up a couple....Or do a google search on marine battery chargers...I am sure there are others out there.

Havasu Hangin'
02-11-2004, 07:08 PM
...she did have a smile on her face and I asked her why? Her response the best 2 seconds of her life...
Yeah...she said I lasted twice as long as you usually do...so it's all good in her book!

rivercrazy
02-11-2004, 09:48 PM
I found this out by surprise! Scared the shit out of me!:D