PDA

View Full Version : what wax

step up
02-11-2004, 05:55 PM
just wanted to know what wax does everyone use on there boat?

XTRM22
02-11-2004, 08:20 PM
There are all kinds of new ideas and products out there, frankly it's to complicated for my simple brain. Cleaner wax, polisher,teflon base, spray on, 2 part, 3 part......:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:
When I took delivery of my DCB in 97 I asked Dave what he recomended his reply "Pure Carnuba, and lots of it!" So that's it for me. Twice a year I hand apply Maguires pure carnuba and I'm pretty satisfied with the finish.
CHuck :)

rivercrazy
02-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Mcquires polish followed with Mcquires gold class

LOWRIVER2
02-12-2004, 02:40 AM
Meguiars #20 Polymer Teflon, use Meguiars #9 swirl remover first as a light polish to clean, fill any imperfections.

Ducatista
02-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Collinite paste fleetwax, a pure carnuba and polymer blend, gets my vote. They also have a cleaner/polisher to remove any oxidation, that can be applied before the wax. Rated #1 in several consumer tests in the Marine industry. Available on line, never seen it in a store yet. The Meguiars fiberglass polish followed by their premium flagship mirror glaze wax formula is also excellent. Do it twice a year and your ride will look sweet.

gmocnik
02-12-2004, 03:38 PM
my 2 cents...
i have tried it all...
in my hands, the colinite stuff was difficult to apply and remove without swirls, etc...could just be me!!
my recent "favorite" is the stuff by "Driven products". the guy is always at the boat shows and i fell for the "four products for fifty bucks" deal last year. it is a teflon/polymer product and it goes on easy, comes off without much effort and does pretty well with the havasu rock hard water...i use their spray clean up stuff on a daily basis for touch ups.
i suggest that you come over and apply any of the above mentioned products to my boat before you make a decision.........

25 Eagle
02-12-2004, 07:12 PM
I like Gel Gloss aerosol in the pink cans at Home Depot.

1RVR RYD
02-20-2004, 12:33 PM
As stated previous- I agree and prefer to use Meguires wax products. The Gold Class works well, and the Cleaner Wax helps remove stains. Recently I have also use a Clay Bar to remove surface contaminates, leaving a "smooth as glass" feel on the fiberglass.

Reaper1
02-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Where did you get the clay bar?

Three Days Only
02-20-2004, 01:46 PM
Reaper
they carry the clay bars anywhere like kragen, autozone, etc. they work real good, but take a while on a big boat. If you run out of the liquid that they give you water works just as well. I also use the products from driven. They work real well with the hard water in havasu and are extremely easy to apply and remove.

mbrown2
02-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Simply Z Best Wax - Carnuba Liquid...stuff works great...goes on easy and comes off easy......now if I could just figure out what will keep the water spots off anodized billet..

rivercrazy
02-20-2004, 02:45 PM
I hear you on the waterspots on the billet stuff..... The only thing I've used with great success is Mcquires Polish and elbow grease. A solution of vinegar and water works good to but it seems like its hard on the finish.

mbrown2
02-20-2004, 02:49 PM
RCrazy, ditto.....the vin/water seems harsh...and the only thing that does better is the Z-Best with a lot of rubbing....almost seems if they came out with something with more oil in it might have that glazed or shiny appearance to it after cleaning..

boxscore
02-20-2004, 03:00 PM
say mike... lemme know what's gonna work best taking the spots off those steps. When I asked the boys at the shop, their best response was to take them off after every season and have them re-plated. There's gotta be a better way!

mbrown2
02-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Box,
Those guys were not too far away from the truth....I try my best to keep wax on them after each outing, so they have wax on them when they go back in the water, but its a losing battle at best...just get them detailed couple times a season to keep them looking new....
Also, don't worry, they always look new when they are wet:D