PDA

View Full Version : Prop Locks (anti theft devices)

Riverhound
01-31-2003, 07:40 PM
What are the different types of prop locks available?
I have been hearing horror stories of people getting their props stolen at Havasu, Parker, and Laughlin etc.
Looking for a little protection on my investment.

25Elmn8r
02-01-2003, 01:53 AM
Take it off at night, and into your hotel room! The only real way to keep it safe! I have heard that the prop locks come loose and you loose your prop when cruising the river/lake. jawdrop

Stupid Fast
02-01-2003, 08:45 AM
Run it over rocks. :rolleyes: Then nobody else will want it. :D :D
You Know I am kidding, Right? Hotel deal is the safest.

steve@kps
02-01-2003, 09:07 AM
I personally would not recommend a prop lock, because if you loose the key, your screwed. You'd have to torch, or cut the darn thing off.
But,if you never loose anything, then this is a p/n of a pretty good prop lock. Made by McGard, #74039. I'd say the average retail is about 78.00. keeping it on, is all about the proper torque, recommended is 55-65 ft. lbs.
They also make a stern lock, which replaces one of the nuts that mount the outdrive.
But, like previously stated. take the prop off, and take it inside. that's the only real way to protect it.
hope that helps you

Riverhound
02-01-2003, 09:50 AM
Do you guys really take your prop off at night???
How hard is it to get off? Do you need a special wrench or will a socket and breaker bar work?

steve@kps
02-01-2003, 10:34 AM
we carry a special wrench, which can loosen the tabs on the lock ring and also loosen the prop nut, OR you can just use a 1 1/16th socket for the prop nut and a flat tip screw driver for the lock ring.
Be sure to re-torque to 55-65ft. lbs. if it's mercruiser. OMC stuff goes to 70.

Back To Havasu
02-01-2003, 01:22 PM
Have lost a prop with a prop-lock. Don't know whether it was me or a bad design or both (McGard). Take it off at night. Just my $.02. :confused:

Riverhound
02-01-2003, 04:16 PM
Thanks for tips guys. I think I will invest in a prop wrench and just take it off at night.

77charger
02-01-2003, 06:33 PM
the lock ring on the mercruisers can become non working(gets loose) after many prop channges.My boss tested many props for his bravo 1 about 10 years ago and when his son and i took it we lost a nice 5 blade stainless.After asking why it came off people asked if we had been using the same lock ring.I guess the tabs weaken after a few changes.Just a suggestion.I myself will take the prop off.I do have extra tabs too(came with the boat i bought)

Jordy
02-01-2003, 08:15 PM
Just buy a jet boat and you don't have to worry about someone stealing your prop. :p That was for you 77Charger (traitor). :D :D :D

Riverhound
02-01-2003, 10:27 PM
jordanpaulk:
Just buy a jet boat and you don't have to worry about someone stealing your prop. :p That was for you 77Charger (traitor). :D :D :D Jordy, 77 Charger isnt the only traitor here. I recently bought a 1997 Cole 22.4 and am selling my 1976 Tahiti 20.6 S/C 466 BBF Berk JC. Know anyone that wants a nice jet boat?????? :D

steve@kps
02-02-2003, 11:20 AM
good idea.
go to this website for a pretty good prop wrench combo.
www.rmind.com (http://www.rmind.com)
these are the people that sell the rite-hite jackplate. At least it'll give you a starting price and comparison on prop wrenches.
good luck

77charger
02-02-2003, 02:35 PM
jordanpaulk:
Just buy a jet boat and you don't have to worry about someone stealing your prop. :p That was for you 77Charger (traitor). :D :D :D After owning a jet i think that is all they are good for :D :D