Mrs Luvnlife
02-12-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
Hitting $2 a gallon again:o
I have the diesel, but filling the RV sure hurts the pocket book:mad:
But the damn diesel is expensive TOO!!! :mad:

MRS FLYIN VEE
02-12-2004, 09:22 AM
summer is just around the corner.. That may be why.. It always seems to go up when we want to go boating.. :mad:

jackpunx
02-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Bastards... I think the diesel is staying around the same price as regular..
Ive got a dumb question.. I just got my truck.. and havnt had to put fuel in it yet..
What Gas stations sell Diesel?.. and .. Ive seen diesel #1 and 2.. should I only use #2?

JetBoatRich
02-12-2004, 09:48 AM
If I remember right Mark, diesel #1 is with the red dye in it. Used in farm equipment, etc which is a lot cheaper due to the tax break.
I am sure someone can expand on this.
Watch the Mobil stations, they color code there pumps different than the others. I have had two friends that put Unleaded in their trucks thinking green was diesel.

JetBoatRich
02-12-2004, 09:50 AM
When I was coming home from River last weekend, stopped in Barstow for food and diesel. Station right off the freeway was $2.01 per gallon, drove into the town more and found it for $1.65, what a difference.

missboatnam1
02-12-2004, 11:03 AM
well since i work in a refinery i can tell you all of them are shut down for a month or two so the old supply and demand theory is at its best dont expect it to get better anytime soon.

jackpunx
02-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Damm.. I got that diesel right on time:D

Outnumbered
02-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Watch the Mobil stations, they color code there pumps different than the others. I have had two friends that put Unleaded in their trucks thinking green was diesel.
Damn!!!:eek:
That has scared me since we got our Dodge. I am always afraid that the wife is gonna put gas in one day by accident. (She would kill me if she read this:) ). What did they do? I assume you would have to tow it to a shop where they could drain the tank.
OL

Outnumbered
02-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by jackpunx
Bastards... I think the diesel is staying around the same price as regular..
Ive got a dumb question.. I just got my truck.. and havnt had to put fuel in it yet..
What Gas stations sell Diesel?.. and .. Ive seen diesel #1 and 2.. should I only use #2?
It kinda sucks the first month or so while you get used to where the diesel is. If you travel around a lot you can go online and Shell and Mobile (+possibly others) have lists of their locations and if they have diesel. Just do a Google search.
OL

Fiat48
02-12-2004, 11:51 AM
If I remember right Mark, diesel #1 is with the red dye in it. Used in farm equipment, etc which is a lot cheaper due to the tax break.
I am sure someone can expand on this.
The red diesel is off road only. Big fine if you get caught running it. Same fuel with a dye and no road tax.
As for fuel prices....they felt us out last year...they know we will pay $2.00 a gallon...so they are doing it. They'll push a little more this year and feel us out a little more. Wherever the consumer backs off a cuts down driving, they know that's the limit.

JetBoatRich
02-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
Damn!!!:eek:
That has scared me since we got our Dodge. I am always afraid that the wife is gonna put gas in one day by accident. (She would kill me if she read this:) ). What did they do? I assume you would have to tow it to a shop where they could drain the tank.
OL
One person, his wife actually did it. She called him one afternoon and said the truck just stopped. He went out there and after talking to her, they realized what she did. He took back to his shop drained it changed the filters, put some diesel in and called Ford. :wink:
The other guy was at Mobil, finished filling up when he noticed what he did. Never started, called AAA and had it towed to ford to pull the tank and drain it.
As far as finding Diesel, we have a truck stop in town that is the cheapest.

Rexone
02-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Fiat48
As for fuel prices....they felt us out last year...they know we will pay $2.00 a gallon...so they are doing it. They'll push a little more this year and feel us out a little more. Wherever the consumer backs off a cuts down driving, they know that's the limit.
That's exactly how I feel about it. It's all a money thing, regulating and manipulating the supply starting right at the oil field clear through the refinery to in turn regulate the price and drive it up to what the market will bear. Unfortunately on this product the market will bear alot because there is no alternative place to buy gas and most people require it to get to work, school, etc.
I realize the cost of refining fuel in Ca is high because of regulations and equipment investment. What I don't understand is how they can sell gas for lets say $1.60 a gallon 3 months ago and today it's like $1.90 +/-. You cannot convince me profit wasn't present at the $1.60 level. The cost to refine fuel did not change .30 a gallon in those 3 months. Someone decided its time to make .50 a gal more for awhile and turned the faucet off to drive up the price. It went over $2 here last year for the same reason and I'll bet it goes higher this year (just because they can). I've heard a million excuses as to why supply is cut, why refining is cut, on and on. Bottom line is someone's calling the shot to cut those capacities based on a profit motive, plain and simple.

Mopar426
02-12-2004, 06:27 PM
It isn't bad in New Mex. $1.40 for reg, $1.51 for mid, $1.68 for super. I only go for regular if gas gets outragous. I still remember Phoenix last summer when they were standing in line for an hour to pay $3.25 per gallon and some stations were as high as $4.00 per gallon. Poeple were running out of gas waiting to get gas, it was crazy. Hope it doesn't get that bad this year.

Jrocket
02-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by missboatnam1
well since i work in a refinery i can tell you all of them are shut down for a month or two so the old supply and demand theory is at its best dont expect it to get better anytime soon.
Tina????
Are you filling in for Jim? :D

WHIPPED502
02-12-2004, 09:28 PM
In the meantime Exxon/Mobil had record profits last year. The rich keep getting richer

AzDon
02-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Here's an idea to play the gas stations to drive down prices, but it requires cooperation of enough people to have an effect. This idea probably won't work when the increases are in response to supplier price increases. This is also only relevant if you regularly use the cheapest station you can find.
Organize a secret boycott of the cheap stations!
Switch your use to the most expensive stations you can find during this boycott.
The cheap stations, sensing a loss of business, will have to lower their prices. And the expensive ones? Who cares where their prices go after the boycott...when all their customers disappear, they'll hafta lower their prices as well!
This kind of thing could be organized on the net and neighbor to neighbor. It's gotta stay below the radar of the oil companies or else they could simply allow the cheapserves to fail.
In trucking, I gaurantee that if six large carriers that regularly used Love's or Pilot truckstops (the two cheapest) secretly boycotted for just one week, those truckstops would drop their prices to try to keep their volume up.
Human nature probably prohibits people from paying one extra cent in pursuit of a cause, so I think the gas stations are probably free to do as they please!
People pull back on their use of gasoling during the winter because the toys are put away and that's why prices are down in the winter

Havasu Cig
02-13-2004, 10:36 AM
Az Don,
For the most part it is not the station setting the prices. I am in the process of buying two stations right now, and the margins made on gas are not what most of you think they are.
The margins don't usually vary when the price goes up or down. they simply are responding to how much the fuel is costing them from the supplier.
Some stations try to work off higher margins, but the ones I have looked at for the most part don't pump as much gas.
This problem of higher gas prices is at a much higher level that the individual stations.