PDA

View Full Version : Bottem end disassemble part 2

shaun
02-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Last night me and my buddy pulled the pan off and started pulling out the rods and pistons. I didnt really see any rust down in there but there was some really thick oil left over not sure if thats normal. Pics of the process up for those who care or just want to see pics (hey i love pics too).
Also, is this a 4 bolt main? My buddy said he thought all BB's where 4 bolt.
http://www.reitanfamily.com/gallery/MotorDisassemble-Part2

HBjet
02-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Not to be mean, but if you can't tell when the pan is off, then maybe you shouldn't be working on the motor... but after looking at the pics, yes, it is, and no, not all BBC are 4 bolt.
HBjet:)

flat broke
02-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Yup, thats a 4 bolt main. Not all BBCs are 4 bolt mains. The bottom end looks pretty clean. No signs of wear or anything on the rod journals that were visible.
Was this engine the one that was rebuilt and then never run? If so, it looks like a light hone and you'll be back in business. Also if this motor hadn't been run the thick stuff might have been some sort of assembly lube.
Good Luck,
Chris

cstraub
02-12-2004, 01:20 PM
You got a good piece there. . . it is a 4 bolt main. . .some BBC are 2 bolt. If your going to run this in the boat you need to put a windage tray on it.
Chris

shaun
02-12-2004, 01:40 PM
HBjet, I'll be honest, i dont know much about BB's. In fact most of my knowledge when it comes to motors/parts/specs is for imports (and i'm not talking about that 18" rim rice shit you see on the streets) as i wanted and was building my car to do road racing.. (before i had a kid, now i need a mini van ;) ). I was pretty sure that was a 4 bolt main when i looked at it, it mean it made sense, there was 4 bolts on each.. but i wanted to make sure.
cstraub69, It's going in the boat. a windage tray, whats that?

shaun
02-12-2004, 01:48 PM
Oh ya, forgot, in each cylinder there was a black mark like the one in this pic. They are not all in the same place. Is this normal? Whats would cause that? Hotspots?
http://www.reitanfamily.com/albums/MotorDisassemble-Part2/IM000833.sized.jpg

OLDRAT
02-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Appears to just be some discoloration from the pistons setting
in their locations for a period of time, with possibly some
very minor moisture/corrosion.
It does not look like hot spots. The motor does not appear
to have been run very much since it was rebuilt. Look at the
valves and the tops of the pistons, they will indicate any temperature problems.
Good luck.

Fiat48
02-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Also has a cast crank in it. Nothing bad, just thought you might want to know.

HBjet
02-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Shaun
HBjet, I'll be honest, i dont know much about BB's. In fact most of my knowledge when it comes to motors/parts/specs is for imports (and i'm not talking about that 18" rim rice shit you see on the streets) as i wanted and was building my car to do road racing.. (before i had a kid, now i need a mini van ;) ). I was pretty sure that was a 4 bolt main when i looked at it, it mean it made sense, there was 4 bolts on each.. but i wanted to make sure.
cstraub69, It's going in the boat. a windage tray, whats that?
It's always better to ask then assume!
What are your plans for the motor? Size, power?
HBjet

shaun
02-12-2004, 05:08 PM
HBJet, Plans... welp, nothing crazy, at least not right now. I was thinking about probably bumping the compression up, get a good cam in it and maybe while the heads are off gettign some head work done (p&p?). Right now theres alot of work to be done (besides the motor).
I also have a complete 396 that needs to be rebuilt. Somebody told me once that this specific size motor is in demand and worth a bit more? this true?

78Eliminator
02-12-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Shaun
HBJet, Plans... welp, nothing crazy, at least not right now. I was thinking about probably bumping the compression up, get a good cam in it and maybe while the heads are off gettign some head work done (p&p?). Right now theres alot of work to be done (besides the motor).
I also have a complete 396 that needs to be rebuilt. Somebody told me once that this specific size motor is in demand and worth a bit more? this true?
Shaun, I have a KILLER hyrdrolic cam for a 396-427 motor. Let me know if you are interested.....
I also have a 454 cam that would work great in your 454 too. Post the cam gind that came out and we can compare numbers and see what's best for you...

HOSS
02-12-2004, 08:24 PM
What 4 bolts are ya`ll reffering to? Dude you road race? Do you know Big Daddy? Man you must have kids. They done got yellow crayon all over that motor. :p

shaun
02-12-2004, 10:21 PM
HOSS, No.. i dont road race professionally if thats what your asking, it was just going to be a side/weekend thing.
78Eliminator, I'm gonna pull the crank and cam out tonight, in about a hour or so, i'll take some pics, i assume it's a stock cam since this motor was for my dads dulley and i dont think they had anything great in it. As for the 396 cam, i'm not sure if i'm going to build that 396 up yet. The 396 has/came with domed pistons and i'm not sure what size cam. All i know if that motor had a mean ****ing idle, it was the slowest longest loop i've ever heard. I still have yet to hear one like it! I'm not quite sure the thing was running/tuned right then as thats how it came when we bought it.
I'll have more pics for you guys tomarrow, or later tonight :)
Stay Tuned for part 3!

shaun
02-13-2004, 03:04 AM
part 3 -> http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40212

Dave C
02-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Thats a good motor for stock and some extra HP. (as long as you don't go crazy)
Strip it down, clean it up, Hone it, check line hone, check for cracks and freshen it up and put it back together and enjoy.
I recommend a full hot tank, new bearings and replace any worn out parts.
You should have a good running motor if you do it right and get it clean before you reassemble.
Good luck.

shaun
02-13-2004, 12:49 PM
I got the block in the back of my buddys car right now, taking it to get a bath and checked out today! I definitly want to do this right the first time. I hate when things are half ass'd!!! just costs you more money in the long run.