PDA

View Full Version : DON Aronow

RIPNIK67
02-13-2004, 07:23 AM
Has anyone read the article on Don Aronow? IN the "other
magazine The end of Thunderboat row. My question is I heard a movie is to be made about the King of Cigarette. Do you know how true this is? Very interesting story . Any info would be appreciate.

Havasu Cig
02-13-2004, 07:48 AM
I read the artical and it was very interesting. I have heard rumors of a movie but that is it. I would go the Offshoreonly.com, there has been discussion on this topic there.
There are people that post over there that new him and worked with him, so they have some good info.
I am reading the book "Speed Kills" right now. It is about the murder of Aronow, and the happenings on N.E. 188th Street in Miami (Thunder Boat Row). So far it is very interesting. If you can find a copy it is a good book.

Havasu Cig
02-13-2004, 07:55 AM
Another interesting item....
Brownie, from OSO is selling these medallions. If you do not own a boat built on the Row you can buy one mounted a plaque. He was friends with Don, and they are sequentally numbered.
The Row is just about gone now, so it is a cool item imo. Here is a picture.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=848190

superdave013
02-13-2004, 08:00 AM
he's selling a red X??

91nordic29
02-13-2004, 08:18 AM
A & E has a good program abot him that they run every - so - often with Bill Curtis.

spectras only
02-13-2004, 09:37 AM
Go to www.donzi.net , I think Don's son on it amongst other knowledgable folks.;)

Havasu Cig
02-13-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
he's selling a red X??
The picture is showing on my computer:confused:

mbrown2
02-13-2004, 09:48 AM
Cig,
I don't think you can link from OSO...and even if we went there to view it, I think we need to be paying members, no?:confused:

Havasu Cig
02-13-2004, 09:53 AM
I forgot about that. Damn, I don't know how else to post it.:confused:

mbrown2
02-13-2004, 09:55 AM
If you right-click on it at OSO, save it to your computer, and email it to me as an attachment I will post it for you...my email is in my profile.

Havasu Cig
02-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Your e-mail in your profile says it has been disabled when I click on it. I will save to my computer when I get home and then post it. Thanks for the help.

mbrown2
02-13-2004, 10:38 AM
you can email it here...mbrown67@pacbell.net

fourspeednup
02-13-2004, 12:30 PM
I am reading the book "Speed Kills" right now.
Who's is the author? I'll go get it/order it from the bookstore:cool:

Havasu Cig
02-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Here is the book and description. Try Amazon.com and search for it under books. There is also a link from Thunderboatalley.com. It looks like they have some in stock. They are hard to find and I had to find a used one someone was selling.
http://www.thunderboatalley.com/images/0380781832.01.MZZZZZZZ
THE LIFE AND DEATH OF THE CIGARETTE BOAT KING
In the Miami of the 1980s, it was the ultimate symbol of power and wealth: the roaring muscle speed boat known as the Cigarette. And the undisputed king of the Cigarette Boat was Don Aronow, the man who built the million-dollar playtoys for presidents, princes and the privileged. Aronow was a man with an insatiable appetite for ravishing women and the exquisite feel of money washing through his fingers. He had it all. Then on February 3, 1987, an unknown assailant gunned Aronow down a Miami street, a few hundred yards from his own boatyard. The murder would confound investigators, shock an already crime-weary city, and reveal a dark world of criminality, corruption and violence that existed within the Sunshine State.
From his unrestrained life to his savage death, SPEED KILLS delivers the players, the proposals and the deals gone wrong that surrounded the Cigarette Boat King: his fast friends, the faster women, and his brutal enemies. A compelling work of investigative reporting, this book probes one of the most baffling crimes of our time, and vividly illustrates that those who live by speed, die by it as well.