PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy flooring needed!!

Froggystyle
02-13-2004, 09:23 AM
We are moving into our new shop in a couple of weeks, and need to find a floor coating company. We want to do some kind of cool epoxy or hard coating of some sort, and have quite a bit of shop space to deal with.
Any advice from people who have done trick flooring in a desert garage, or shop floors etc... would be extremely welcome as well.
I know that Woodster from the forums does Terrazzo, but I can't find his number anywhere. Any help, or contractors who do this local to San Diego would be great. Please get a hold of me at 619.823.5643 if you are around.
Thanks guys.

ROZ
02-13-2004, 10:21 AM
So I guess the number I had for him didn't work..... :(

rrrr
02-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Froggy, I do commercial high $$ technical construction like computer rooms, telecom, and so on. Done a couple of private jet hangers too, so I have a fair amount of experience with floor coatings.
After using several different companies and methods over the years, I have figured out that the most important thing is an ironclad written warranty and reputation.
They all have the same line of bs, but if the floor coating fails to perform you will need to have some recourse. I hate starting off with a negative but that's my experience.
The best products to use are epoxy based. As in most coating systems, prep work is the key. The floor should be bead blasted to a new surface. The installers will have a trick machine that looks like an industrial floor sweeper. It blasts the floor, vacuums up the beads, and recycles 'em.
Since you are out in Kalifornia (:D) I suppose you will have to deal with VOC compliance and all that crap.
You will need to install urethane casters on all your rolling stuff in the shop to preserve your investment. Keep some extra material for repairs.
Nothing looks as nice as a bright white epoxy floor, good luck......

G-Ride
02-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Not Sure if you mean epoxy coatings on garge floors that simulate granite, but try these guys Wes. They say to call them for a dealer near you. Good Luck.
www.thegaragepeople.com

Mandelon
02-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Check your pm. ;)

NOTALENT
02-13-2004, 12:47 PM
does anyone know any prices to install a checker floor like that or drop down the epoxy?

hot_diggity_dog
02-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
We are moving into our new shop in a couple of weeks, and need to find a floor coating company. We want to do some kind of cool epoxy or hard coating of some sort, and have quite a bit of shop space to deal with.
Any advice from people who have done trick flooring in a desert garage, or shop floors etc... would be extremely welcome as well.
I know that Woodster from the forums does Terrazzo, but I can't find his number anywhere. Any help, or contractors who do this local to San Diego would be great. Please get a hold of me at 619.823.5643 if you are around.
Thanks guys.
Here you go Froggy .
I would recommend any of these.
Amerifloor 858-566-4939
Stonhard 800-854-0350
Superior Systems 760-730-7179
Sunbelt Flooring 909-628-1090
We use the subcontractors on our projects.
Hope this helps
HDD

ROZ
02-13-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by hot_diggity_dog
Stonhard 800-854-0350
Hmmm. I thought their number was 800-buy-buds :p :D

Screaming Pete
02-13-2004, 01:55 PM
Froggystyle, I'v got the race deck in my garage that ran about 3.15 a sq. ft. and the epoxy ran about the same on res. I think you should be able to do better for comm. We cleared the floor a the print shop 10,000 sq. ft. for about 16,000 dlrs. I seen a floor at Biggs harley davidson in san marcos that they stained and color waxed or sealed that is very cool and prob. cheaper. I know the local manufacture for the coating is in san marcos and the colored flakes is in elcojn:)

mickeyfinn
02-13-2004, 02:23 PM
stonhard is the best. We have tried some tnemec products and the stonhard. Stonhard gives a great look. Prep is a big part of it but finishing is a large part too. Tnemec will sell and allow others to install and if you don't get a great installer you don't get a great floor. I believe stonhard only sells to authorized installers so you always get a great look. They really know there stuff.

Froggystyle
02-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the advice guys... I purciate it! Got some calling around to do now.

ROZ
02-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Screaming Pete
I seen a floor at Biggs harley davidson in san marcos that they stained and color waxed or sealed that is very cool and prob. cheaper.
The floors in that place look really nice. Stained concrete looks pretty trick...