PDA

View Full Version : In Cockpit Video - Thunderbird Crash

LASERRAY
02-14-2004, 08:14 PM
Eject, Eject, Eject! (http://www.f-16.net/PhotoGallery/album44/aby.mpg)

LASERRAY
02-14-2004, 08:17 PM
Here's The Story.
T-Bird Crash Story (http://www.f-16.net/f-16_news_article842.html)

Dr. Eagle
02-14-2004, 08:26 PM
Obvious he immediately knew when he was screwed and needed to depart the jet...:frown:

LASERRAY
02-14-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Obvious he immediatley knew when he was screwed and needed to depart the jet...:frown: He looks very calculated but I would have liked to have seen his facial expression.......................:eek: :eek: :eek:

Dr. Eagle
02-14-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
He looks very calculated but I would have like to have seen his facial expression.......................:eek: :eek: :eek:
Me too, I think he had one of those "oh shit" looks on his face...
kida like this....:eek:

LASERRAY
02-14-2004, 09:33 PM
Me too, I think he had one of those "oh shit" looks on his face...
kida like this....:eek: I'm just glad that he made it out safely. I read that he now has a desk job. That's got to be an emotional 180.:burningm:

Dr. Eagle
02-14-2004, 09:53 PM
I'm just glad that he made it out safely. I read that he now has a desk job. That's got to be an emotional 180.:burningm:
You'll have that happen when you crash a 15 million dollar jet...:rolleyes:
Glad he made it out safely too. And he did so just barely, with about a second to spare.
Thank god for ejection seats.
:eek:

NorCal Gameshow
02-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Glad he made it out safely too. And he did so just barely, with about a second to spare.
15 million dollars......
damn, 15 million dollars
then there's A-rod makin 250 mil
nevermind....

Dr. Eagle
02-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by NorCal Gameshow
15 million dollars......
damn, 15 million dollars
then there's A-rod makin 250 mil
nevermind....
Honestly I don't remember what they cost now. When they originally came up with the F16 concept it was to cost about 1/3 what an F15 cost. I bet it is probably 10 times that 15 mil number I threw out... I was just fishin in the air for the number...;)

NorCal Gameshow
02-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Honestly I don't remember what they cost now. When they originally came up with the F16 concept it was to cost about 1/3 what an F15 cost. I bet it is probably 10 times that 15 mil number I threw out... I was just fishin in the air for the number...;)
I seem to remember a few years back general dynamics got a contract to refurbish 'em for more then new ones (can't remember the plane ) would cost......
par for da course...

Forkin' Crazy
02-14-2004, 10:05 PM
I saw that a while back. I was thinking it was $20 mil and change.... Like it makes much difference.... What's $5 mil anyway.... chump change. That is not the first time it has happened either...:rolleyes:

Dr. Eagle
02-14-2004, 10:09 PM
I seem to remember a few years back general dynamics got a contract to refurbish 'em for more then new ones (can't remember the plane ) would cost......
par for da course...
I actually thought about that when I wrote that first number. The cost of military aircraft has climbed exponentially in the recent times. I seem to remember that the F15 was on the order of 25 mil and the f16 was supposed to be around 1/3. of that.
So I found this on the Air Force link fact sheet.
Unit cost: F-16A/B , $14.6 million (fiscal 98 constant dollars); F-16C/D,$18.8 million (fiscal 98 constant dollars)
Guess I was closer than I thought!

LASERRAY
02-14-2004, 10:10 PM
I'm pretty sure it's 30+ million for one. If i'm a pilot, I'm opting for the extra collision coverage!:D

Dr. Eagle
02-14-2004, 10:13 PM
I'm pretty sure it's 30+ million for one. If i'm a pilot, I'm opting for the extra collision coverage!:D
Sort of the LCD waiver, (limited Carnage and Destruction)...;)

NorCal Gameshow
02-14-2004, 10:17 PM
i'd have to go with a high deductible to make it affordable..:rolleyes: :D

Dr. Eagle
02-14-2004, 10:21 PM
i'd have to go with a high deductible to make it affordable..:rolleyes: :D
Me too....;)

NorCal Gameshow
02-14-2004, 10:23 PM
if i use my american express card to rent one will they cover any losses incurred ?

Dr. Eagle
02-14-2004, 10:26 PM
if i use my american express card to rent one will they cover any losses incurred ?
Here is the fact sheet on the plane. I think I'd have to have a whole bunch of Amex's to cover this one...
F-16 (http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=103)

LASERRAY
02-14-2004, 10:28 PM
if i use my american express card to rent one will they cover any losses incurred ? I think that you can get on a monthly payment plan. Of course, you'll be passing on YOUR debt to your great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,gr eat,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,grea t great, grandchildren.:D

Dr. Eagle
02-14-2004, 10:30 PM
I think that you can get on a monthly payment plan. Of course, you'll be passing on YOUR debt to your great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,gr eat,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,grea t great, grandchildren.:D
Wouldn't that be great?
:D

NorCal Gameshow
02-14-2004, 10:37 PM
Here is the fact sheet on the plane. I think I'd have to have a whole bunch of Amex's to cover this one...
F-16 (http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=103)
dr. i checked out the website...bring your visa...they don't except american express...:(

Dr. Eagle
02-14-2004, 10:38 PM
dr. i checked out the website...bring your visa...they don't except american express...:(
Really???
Crap!!!! I don't have a big enough credit limit!!!!!!
Damn it all...:D

LASERRAY
02-14-2004, 10:49 PM
Really???
Crap!!!! I don't have a big enough credit limit!!!!!!
Damn it all...:D Sell your boat, Jet ski's, and rusty zeiman trailer. It's a start.:D

NorCal Gameshow
02-14-2004, 10:58 PM
Sell your boat, Jet ski's, and rusty zeiman trailer. It's a start.:D
ouch, that's not rust he had faux rust painted on for effect...:D

skeepwerkzaz
02-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Passenger-"So when you tell me to eject, do I say roger, or OK?"
Pilot-"If you even say 'huh?' you'll be talking to yourself!"

STV_Keith
02-15-2004, 10:45 AM
A pilot is only allowed 2 get outs before he's grounded for life. The compression on the spine from the ejection seat is a big factor. 2 of those and that's all the military will allow.

Trash
02-17-2004, 09:25 PM
A pilot is only allowed 2 get outs before he's grounded for life. The compression on the spine from the ejection seat is a big factor. 2 of those and that's all the military will allow.
This is incorrect, there is no limitation on the number of ejections. OTOH, after two you start to reconsider your options.

Dr. Eagle
02-17-2004, 09:28 PM
ouch, that's not rust he had faux rust painted on for effect...:D
So you've seen my jet ski trailer...:D

burbanite
02-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by STV_Keith
Originally posted by Trash
This is incorrect, there is no limitation on the number of ejections. OTOH, after two you start to reconsider your options.
This guy is now desk bound in D.C. because it was pilot error, looks like it's only a oncer in the Blue Angels.

Trash
02-18-2004, 09:05 PM
looks like it's only a oncer in the Blue Angels.
It was the Thunderbirds in this case...
Seriously, for those on the demonstration teams you've probably only got one seat ride and it's over. Barring any physical condition brought on by the ejection, it may not be your last time in the cockpit though.

MudPumper
02-18-2004, 10:51 PM
There is a guy on ebay selling an F/A18. He also has an F-100 and a couple of Mig-29's.

MudPumper
02-18-2004, 11:04 PM
When I click on the link I get a Film reel looking thing that says to go to F16.net. I don't get the video. I was able to see a groundcrew video. Can anybody post a different link for the cockpit video???

MudPumper
02-18-2004, 11:27 PM
Nevermind, I found another link!!

STV_Keith
02-19-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Trash
Hmmm, maybe my roommate was incorrect. He's a flight line mechanic on the F-16's so you'd think he'd have his facts straight.