PDA

View Full Version : Amish a holes

Checkmate
02-15-2004, 02:14 PM
Is it just my proffesion and area, or is it getting common.
Here is the deal, I am a carpenter and am getting worried about my future. Seems these "Amish" people are moving in and taking over. They underbid everyone and do crappy work, but since they are sooo cheap the builders use them. Another framing carpenter told me that he was building houses in another area for right around 10,000 a piece. He said the Amish built the same one for 6,000 and he was then out of a job.:mad: :mad:
They use their religion to screw everyone else and that's IT.
I have heard they pay NO taxes, NO workers comp, NO unemployement, ETC ETC, How is this fair ?
These guys use cell phones, electric, and they even have a fu$$ing CRANE. I have never been so pissed. They need to take that 2 hour drive back home and STAY THERE !!
And since when was it legal to have an 8 year old on a construction site USING power tools ?!?
So they say by using modern technology that they will go to hell? Then why can they pay someone to drive for them.
My religion says I can't commit murder, would it be okay to pay someone to do it for me ?
Any info on this appreciated, I need to get me facts straight before raising hell to whoever will listen. What is the tax deal?

Jungle Boy
02-15-2004, 02:20 PM
That ain't right at all. Up in Canada we have the Hutterites; same type of shit. They buy farms like crazy and work the whole communistic bunch for nothing. They also pay very little in tax and have the best of the best for equipment. Pretty tough to compete against it by normal farmers. If they are competing in the outside job market they should be working by everyone elses standards. But if they were made to do that, then they would sue the system and some scum bag lawyer would spend a ton of tax payer money to fight it and would most likely win.
:mad:

Mandelon
02-15-2004, 02:33 PM
I don't see how religion can keep them out from under OSHA regulations. Call your local District Attorney or OSHA inspectors office and see what's up.

Stupid Fast
02-15-2004, 02:37 PM
You know reading this I was going to say, we have the same thing around here. Then I saw you were from Ohio.
I work for a major general contractor. It is a huge problem to me. They are cheaper when they are hungry but, they are a pain in the ass.
#1 they do slipshod work
#2 They leave the jobsights looking like a bomb went off. I can not belive how messy they are,
#3 They have no regard for safety. For themselves or anybody else on the project.
# 4 and my biggest problem (like the others aren't enough) they are completely undapendable. They come and go as they please. No regaurd to what is going on with the rest of the project.
They are also a pain in the ass to get to come back to punch out their work.
Sooner or later it will catch up to them, but for now it is very tough because work is going at about 5% above cost. ALL contractors are hungry. Using thier # usually is the difference between getting a job and not getting it. Hard choice in my shoes.
Kinda funny too. I get Quotes and bills from them via FAX. I wonder who they pay to do that for them?
What part of Ohio are you from?
Good luck, It's tough out there in these parts.
Eric

Stupid Fast
02-15-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
I don't see how religion can keep them out from under OSHA regulations. Call your local District Attorney or OSHA inspectors office and see what's up.
I HAVE the exact same argument. I am told its along the same lines as not being able to make them have lights on their Carirages at night.
Also they are not a true buisness. All fines would be personal.
ERIC

THATJEFFGUY
02-15-2004, 03:17 PM
Hey, we have the same problem here in CA....they're called Wet... somethin' or others !!

spectratoad
02-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by THATJEFFGUY
Hey, we have the same problem here in CA....they're called Wet... somethin' or others !!
BACK............to the top.
:D

Mandelon
02-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Seriously, Call OSHA on those f*ckers!!!!!!!! Don't just complain, Do Something!!!! Get em on the evening news. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Checkmate
02-15-2004, 07:03 PM
Hey Stupid Fast.. I take it you are a Superintendent or something? As I read your post, I was thinking that everything you wrote was exactly correct. They ARE like pigs.
Went over to check out their work the other day and when they quit for the day, all their cords and hoses that were tromped in the mud were still just laying there. 2 boxes of gun nails and 1 box of staples laying there with the lids open even though it was supposed to snow that night. It's like they really don't give a crap about anything. saw a guy get a peice of plywood for the roof that was not cut right, instead of handing it back, he stapled it down. Later he got a chainsaw and cut it. When he was done, instead of handing the saw down, he cut it through the roof and set it there . On my crew we try to keep everything nice and tight, whereas they are cutting big holes in the roof to store a saw.:mad:
There is a carpenters union rep around here that says he calls OSHA everytime he sees them working somewhere, but it has not seemed to help.
I am going to look into this though. This is MY life they are screwing with and I will not have them taking food from my family.
I have heard that they are also moving in on the bricklayers, but there is a union who's toes they are stepping on and from what I hear, the bricklayers union is not one to mess with.
I say this, we don't steal their women, why should they steal our jobs?
If they play by the same rules then all would be fine, but using their religion to cut our throats is total B.S.
AND then to top it all off, people think that the Amish are such great workers. I was talking to a girl at DQ the other day and she was asking me where I was working, she said she saw that the Amish were working there also. Then she said " They are some hard workers aren't they?" Well by the look I gave her she knew she hit a spot. I said, How the hell are they hard workers. They show up between 9-10 am and leave at 2:30p. I work from 7 am and leave at 5:30 p and I am not?????
You want quality from the Amish, go buy a pie, or a wooden chair. You want a quality built house? Better look elsewhere.

Checkmate
02-15-2004, 07:05 PM
Ohh yeah, any of you amish people reading this, go ahead and reply. I'm sure you guys surf the net too.:rolleyes:

HOSS
02-15-2004, 07:15 PM
I once thought about becoming Amish. But the hardoo you gotta keep just ain`t me. And the fact that the women don`t bath on a daily basis just makes my limp dick limper.
I think soemone oughta be calling OSHA as well as Code Enforcement/ Building Inspectors for your area. But remember when calling OSHA,,,,they watch everyone for everything. Thats one agency I don`t f with.

UBFJ #454
02-15-2004, 07:18 PM
Thought this was a Boating Forum ... Am I Missing Something? No, I'm not Amish nor anything like that ... Just Thought this was a Boating FORUM that's all ..... Must be Missing Something Here! Oh Well.

HOSS
02-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Well you see its like this. It is a boating site but not necessarily a boating forum. This is the Sandbar. Kinda like having to take a dump at the state fair and staring at a row of Port-O-Lets. You really just don`t know what your gonna get till you step in.:cool:

JetBoatRich
02-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by BEAR_454PE
Thought this was a Boating Forum ... Am I Missing Something? No, I'm not Amish nor anything like that ... Just Thought this was a Boating FORUM.
It's the Sandbar, a place to vent:rolleyes:

UBFJ #454
02-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Good One Hoss ...
Having been born in Louisiana, I Prefer the Trees ... Out by Water ..... Oh, Louisiana, Missouri, that is ... Usually takes me 1 to 2 hours to clear Customs when I come back home ... They seem to think I'm lying about my birthplace and have a fradulant PassPort ... Try and ask them for a Map of the U.S. to show them, but, seems I'm a wise Ass and there isn't one readily available.

Jordy
02-15-2004, 07:46 PM
There was a construction company out here a while back (haven't seen them lately) but the owner was a polygamist mormon from the Arizona strip. He'd bid the jobs at half of what anyone else could do them for, then have his 73 kids out there running the equipment. Most of them were between 10 and 15 years old and they're running heavy equipment. It was rather comical though, because when inspectors would roll through the jobs they would bail off the machines and run and hide. They tore up everything they ever used on the job as 10 year olds don't have much of a keen eye for equipment maintenance. They usually got kicked off about half the jobs they would start because they were horrible when it came to doing a good job.

Rod-64
02-15-2004, 09:04 PM
And people bitch about the Mafia...........That shit wouldn't play with a Carmine or a Fat Salvatore around.

Dr. Eagle
02-15-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by BEAR_454PE
Good One Hoss ...
Having been born in Louisiana, I Prefer the Trees ... .
That why the trees in Louisiana grow so big... a little #2 fertilizer?:confused: :D

DaveA
02-15-2004, 09:46 PM
Sounds alot like Irish Travelers to me.

INXS
02-15-2004, 10:10 PM
they (OSHA) caught a builder who had his 14 yr. old son on a tractor. It was on the front page of the newspaper! But then his problem was that he wasn't one of those who the liberals protect!
PS, I think he got a huge fine!

Stupid Fast
02-16-2004, 01:48 AM
CheckMate I take it you are a residential framer. Are you Union?
The residentail market has it even worse than we do in the Commercial Market.
You should consider jumping to the commercial market. With all these Retirment centers in my area, good framers are hard to come by. They are all stick framed. I have heard that their is an Amish block layer North east of here but I have not seen them or heard anything about their work.
You know it is funny you mention a "chair or something". I had 74 Cherry 3'0-8'2" door frames with transoms and sidelights, made by an Amish guy. They went in a Law Office. MOST beautiful things I have laid eyes on in a long time. But I could only get 4 or 5 at a time. It was kinda funny thinking back. Me cussing the hell out of an Amish guy over the phone.:confused:
Mandelon, you know as well as I do, you never call OSHA on your own job. Plus I would end up with half the fines. Tough Ehh?
A few years bask Two amish were killed when an unbraced baement wall caved in on them. I thought, finnaly, Osha would start watching them. Two things came out of it. The owner of the House filed bankruptcy from legal fees. There were no fines. So it made them even bolder.
BTW. Yes I am a super, among other things,:wink: .
Eric

Forkin' Crazy
02-16-2004, 09:10 AM
Man, that is nuts, I had no idea.......... Someone needs to do something..... dammit.
I had some Mininites (sp?) do some precision land leveling for me. They worked on the land until it rained them out. They did about 50% of the work that need to be done. I paid them 75% of the total price of the job. After repeated calls and the land laying out (of production) for a year, I gave up and hired some one else (not religious group).:mad:
What is it about the religious groups? They seem to screw people over with no consience. I think I would be writing/calling your congress man/senator. If nothing else, it gives you some one to bitch at.......
FC never going to hire a religious freak to do anything again!
BTW the trees in Louisiana are big...:D

Scream
02-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Checkmate
I have heard that they are also moving in on the bricklayers, but there is a union who's toes they are stepping on and from what I hear, the bricklayers union is not one to mess with.
Didn't they know Jimmy Hoffa???
Are they Amish or Meninite? Meninite are similar to Amish but can use machinery to acomplish thier work, they can trade goods for dollars and even make thier own clothes (no kiddin).
Oh, and the fancy doo's.

Mandelon
02-16-2004, 02:59 PM
I sure didn't mean to suggest calling the inspectors on your own job, but certainly someone elses....;) Follow those guys around and call on every site they work on. Shouldn't be hard to keep up with. How many Skilsaws can you carry in an old wagon??? :mad:

jus a baker
02-16-2004, 08:55 PM
the owner was a polygamist mormon
first of all pligs are NOT mormon. (but thats a different conversation)
He'd bid the jobs at half of what anyone else could do them for
yep, everyone i know deals with this all the time, damn pligs bid jobs so cheap, then 50 of thier brothers, sisters, kids, friends, wives, dogs, cousins, and anyone eles they know show up and do the job. pisses me off!!
guess this is utahs version of the amish