PDA

View Full Version : What pump?

oknozelman
02-15-2004, 08:14 PM
Ok, what is the best high-performance{race} jet pump? No B.S. For all out, go fast, low E.T. What would be the best? What impeller? :confused:

Jake W
02-15-2004, 08:17 PM
OOOOOOONNNNOOOOO
:D
Jake:smilespi: :smilespi:

SPECTRABRENT
02-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Berkeley.
Brent

ChetCapoli
02-15-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by SPECTRABRENT
Berkeley.
Brent
And you base this on your experience with all the other pumps?? Dominator is even better than berkeley.
Berkeley...:rolleyes:
CHET
P.S. you know what my real choice is....

Jet Hydro
02-15-2004, 08:43 PM
You know what I`m going to say! :D

MikeF
02-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by ChetCapoli
And you base this on your experience with all the other pumps?? Dominator is even better than berkeley.
Berkeley...:rolleyes:
CHET
P.S. you know what my real choice is....
Water lubricated tail bearing!?:rolleyes:

MikeF
02-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Pretty sure it is the modifications by the guru's that make the pump/boat go as well as they do. ;)

oknozelman
02-15-2004, 09:01 PM
I am talking about the pumps that come from the factory w/all the tricks already done. The race models, like the Berkly- R model. I guess all the pump makers have a "race model"

Jet Hydro
02-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Being that your in OK City call Duane at Hi-Tech... Better yet come up next weekend to the open house.....He`ll set you straight on what pump is best.

SPECTRABRENT
02-15-2004, 09:08 PM
Chet,
What is your choice?
Brent

Jet Hydro
02-15-2004, 09:11 PM
Chet`s an ole`Panther man:eek!: :wink: :D

Jake W
02-15-2004, 09:16 PM
(Chets an ole Panther man)Dude thats DICK.He he
Jake:eek:

SPECTRABRENT
02-15-2004, 09:31 PM
I was hoping that Chet would come out of his hole.
Brent:D

TRG
02-15-2004, 10:35 PM
ive been hearing a bit of talk about legend being pretty good "out of the box"!

pops1
02-17-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by toddnjuzz
Can't squirt like a Puppy!
Pops

Jungle Boy
02-17-2004, 08:50 AM
This would be THE bowl.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/259BILLIT02-med.jpg
And this would be THE bowl. Based on a Berkley, but CNC machined and 6 times as strong. Can't even add in the cool factor.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/259custompump2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/259custompump3.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/259custompump4.jpg

miller19j
02-17-2004, 09:01 AM
Wow that is definitely a nice piece! But is it really worth all the expense?

1Bahnerjet
02-17-2004, 09:07 AM
Jungle Boys Piece is Sweet :cool: but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
a little Fuel for the Fire :rolleyes:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/43aggressssss.jpg

Jungle Boy
02-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by miller19j
Wow that is definitely a nice piece! But is it really worth all the expense?
In riverboat racing, the weak link is now the pump housings breaking while loading and unloading while running across rough water or pump cavitaion. This housing will stop the breaking, thus increase the ablilty to run faster across stuff that you would previously needed to slow down through; hense faster in the overall sceme of things. The bowl has been around for a few years and will bolt on a Berkley housing and when used with a good impeller (Precision Impeller) will gain 3 - 5 mph on our boats. The bowl runs about $3000 US now and the impellers from Precision run about 1000/1200 US. For the guys looking for last little bit out of a already expensive boat, it's cheap MPH. :cool:

460rogers
02-17-2004, 09:23 AM
Kinda reminds me of a video with BAD BERK.

Jet Hydro
02-17-2004, 10:00 AM
Look`s nice and look`s like easy detailing but $3000.00 "WOW"
You say 3-5mph "on your boats", over what brand of pump?
It does have the COOL factor go`n on :D

pops1
02-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by 1Bahnerjet
Jungle Boys Piece is Sweet :cool: but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
a little Fuel for the Fire :rolleyes:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/43aggressssss.jpg Still amazed at you History records-POPs

Jungle Boy
02-17-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Jet Hydro
Look`s nice and look`s like easy detailing but $3000.00 "WOW"
You say 3-5mph "on your boats", over what brand of pump?
It does have the COOL factor go`n on :D
Stock Berlkley pump/bowl with stainless Berkley impeller.

Hustler
02-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
But I've been lurking on the jet section for a long time now and paying attention to what has been said / proven / and not proven..
If I was going to build an all out race boat I think I'd go with an aggressor setup. That's for my own personal reasons though..
RD
Dave, You need to stick to trying to put the prop in front of the drive:p :D

superdave013
02-17-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by oknozelman
Ok, what is the best high-performance{race} jet pump? No B.S. For all out, go fast, low E.T. What would be the best? What impeller? :confused:
CASALE! :D

1Bahnerjet
02-17-2004, 02:02 PM
O.K. this superdave013 guy is pretty knowledgeable. (boat related)
so does/did Casale make a Performance JET Drive ?
or is superdave013 just spinnin' his Prop in AIR.

superdave013
02-17-2004, 02:36 PM
O.K. this superdave013 guy is pretty knowledgeable. (boat related)
so does/did Casale make a Performance JET Drive ?
or is superdave013 just spinnin' his Prop in AIR.
LOL, did I get a hook up out of that??
I don't think they made a jet but I could be wrong. They did (might still do) make a z drive so you can underdrive your jet and get your RPM up. Does that count?
Oh, jet boat! :)

1Bahnerjet
02-17-2004, 02:57 PM
I remember a Overdrive thingie but underdrive to get rpm's up ? a Jet will Redline right out of the Hole. :D
I know what you meant by "CASALE" ;)

superdave013
02-17-2004, 03:02 PM
I remember a Overdrive thingie but underdrive to get rpm's up ? a Jet will Redline right out of the Hole. :D
I know what you meant by "CASALE" ;)
yeah but at what red line? The guys I saw using the casale z drives were running their engines in the 8,500 range. Don't asl me why, I guess that's where their deals made the power.
I half expected you to have some old ad of a Casale jet pump! :eek:

1Bahnerjet
02-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Well not a Jet Pump, they (or someone) made the Overdrive thing. It was to let the motor spin at lower rpm's at cruzing speeds to save on Gas. (back in the 70's Gas Crunch) :rolleyes:

Jet Hydro
02-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
But I've been lurking on the jet section for a long time now and paying attention to what has been said / proven / and not proven..
If I was going to build an all out race boat I think I'd go with an aggressor setup. That's for my own personal reasons though..
RD
Mad impellers to you RD ;)

DiverDown
02-17-2004, 06:52 PM
I am just a humble engine builder who is learning as fast as I can about jet boats and pumps, but I must say that the bowl and housing posted by "Jungle Boy" is the trickest thing I have seen yet along those lines. And as I am learning from all the boat guys that I am meeting, Awesome looking stuff is always worth a little more speed on the water!:D

ChetCapoli
02-17-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by toddnjuzz
I couldnt imagine who would be telling you this jizzman???Tto bad you are stuck using their parts since they are not interchangable with any other pump. Except the impeller of course. How they stay in business is beyond me...kinda like panther and jacuzzi.
CHET

ChetCapoli
02-17-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by MikeF
Water lubricated tail bearing!?:rolleyes:
Yea so whats the point?? last i knew water had less friction than oil thus the principal behind it.
CHET

ChetCapoli
02-17-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Jungle Boy
when used with a good impeller (Precision Impeller) will gain 3 - 5 mph on our boats.
hmmm...precision impeller....wonder if it's the same place that makes that billet inducer that HBjet warnes people about.....seems to destruct according to HBjet. Looks twice as nice as the dps one. How about the river boys using precision products.....interesting.
CHET

TRG
02-17-2004, 09:37 PM
HMMMM!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jungle Boy
02-18-2004, 05:52 AM
hmmm...precision impeller....wonder if it's the same place that makes that billet inducer that HBjet warnes people about.....seems to destruct according to HBjet. Looks twice as nice as the dps one. How about the river boys using precision products.....interesting.
CHET
Don't know about the inducer impellers coming apart. I have not heard of one being damaged before. I do know that any impeller will self distruct under the right (or wrong) conditions. Loading and unloading a pump does bad stuff to things spinning at 6000 RPM. There is a lot of improvement that remains untapped in the pump & impeller department. Remember that 99% of jet pumps were developed 20+ years ago to run 350 hp through them, not 800 / 1000 hp. The same stuff happened in hot rods back in the late 50s and 60s. Things keep improving as time goes on. People like Rob Chrunyk at Eagle and Dave at Agressor understand this and are working to improve pumps, but R&D costs money and takes time. In the mean time we just keep going out there and wreck shit and buy more shit to keep the cash flow coming in.
:D A nessessary evil.

HammerDown
02-18-2004, 06:24 AM
CHET
My friend had 1 of those Impellers...and it completly seperated from the outer ring. I've seen it first had.:eek: This was several years ago... I'm NOT saying this will STILL happen with the current ones. I just know he won't buy from them again.

Jungle Boy
02-18-2004, 07:50 AM
We seen it too. We are now drilling and installing small set screws to secure it in place. I had a Berkley impeller modified with the outer ring set screwed in place and it's worked good.

ChetCapoli
02-18-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Jungle Boy
Don't know about the inducer impellers coming apart. I have not heard of one being damaged before.
That's interesting jungleboy. Well we'll have to update your bookmark mister!:D HB!! HB!!where are ya buddy???
There something going around about a patient on these and no one is allowed to a make them aside from DPS brand? I looked at them both(inducer study, floor 101) and there is no comparison. Precisions is a step above....less expensive to boot!
Remember that 99% of jet pumps were developed 20+ years ago to run 350 hp through them, not 800 / 1000 hp.
HB!! HB!!! Are you reading this??? I think he means berkeley buddy!! LMAO!
NEWSFLASH!! Attn:HBJet NEWSFLASH!!
Things keep improving as time goes on. People like Rob Chrunyk at Eagle and Dave at Agressor understand this and are working to improve pumps, but R&D costs money and takes time
Better watch your tongue around here with that talk! HB's gonna be looking for you!:D
seriously, your AOK in my book jungle boy. :)
CHET

Jungle Boy
02-18-2004, 09:01 AM
I'd love to have one of them new Eagle pumps, but my budget can't afford it (and my little motor don't require it). I still run a Berkley housing and have ordered up a Eagle Billet bowl. I'm still a firm believer though, that alot of guys here are wasting there performance dollars on so called "blueprinting" their pumps. It's hocas pocas (sp?). For the same cash they could have something that is supported with real numbers. I'm not looking for a fight or nothing but that's just what I've learned from some guys that have been racing river boats in harsh conditions for a long long time. These are guy with lots of cash to spend and a proving ground that speaks for it's self. 500 mile long races at next to full or full throttle. Not just an occasional 15 second blast across a nice smooth lake :eek: