PDA

View Full Version : Low Havasu Water Level - Watch OUT!

Essex502
02-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Folks...we were on the water this weekend in Havasu and wanted to warn all of you on a hazard we found(?) near the Lake Havasu Marina. We were exiting the Marina in our 21' Essex and struck on underwater object which I think was only a "dirt"bar just outside the Marina entrance between the first bouy from the left and the middle "fat" bouy. Luckily we were idling (no wake zone) and did minor damage to the prop's blades that should be simple to clean up. The drive was down and our draft isn't all that deep so bigger boats might have even more trouble. I have to admit I wasn't paying attention to how deep the water is right at that spot but being so close to the Marina entrance and the bouys marking the entrance I wasn't worried. I shoulda' been.
The water level looks a lot lower than the reported elevations on the government websites. Use extreme caution. It got very shallow in the channel past the bridge going northwards as well.

Kachina26
02-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Wow, I guess my depth finder wasn't acting goofy. I found some 3.5 foot areas near where you were describing this weekend. That woulda put a damper on the maiden voyage!

LUVNLIFE
02-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
Folks...we were on the water this weekend in Havasu and wanted to warn all of you on a hazard we found(?) near the Lake Havasu Marina. We were exiting the Marina in our 21' Essex and struck on underwater object which I think was only a "dirt"bar just outside the Marina entrance between the first bouy from the left and the middle "fat" bouy. Luckily we were idling (no wake zone) and did minor damage to the prop's blades that should be simple to clean up. The drive was down and our draft isn't all that deep so bigger boats might have even more trouble. I have to admit I wasn't paying attention to how deep the water is right at that spot but being so close to the Marina entrance and the bouys marking the entrance I wasn't worried. I shoulda' been.
The water level looks a lot lower than the reported elevations on the government websites. Use extreme caution. It got very shallow in the channel past the bridge going northwards as well.
You mean we can't trust the government:eek: Thanks for the info, no one wants to jack up their boat.:mad:

ACCEPTENCE
02-16-2004, 07:55 PM
Hummm???
I was on the river today and yesterday and it was higher then it has been recently.
I would have guessed the lake would have been coming up too.
Anyone know if the ramp construction near the dam is complete and is the lake leval getting back to normal yet???

cola
02-16-2004, 09:35 PM
The concrete work looked done. Two lanes & a funkie concrete dock in the middle. I hope the use of the ramp by ? is worth the loss in revenue to Havasu. No parking at take-off Point to speek of.
Late, Mike

Dusty Times
02-17-2004, 05:27 AM
I can't say I'll be putting my 38' in Havasu again until the water is up more. They say it is at normal level for this time of year but no thanks after this last weekend.:mad:

fourspeednup
02-17-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by ACCEPTENCE
Hummm???
I was on the river today and yesterday and it was higher then it has been recently.
I would have guessed the lake would have been coming up too.
Anyone know if the ramp construction near the dam is complete and is the lake leval getting back to normal yet???
I remember hearing that the upper part of the river is actually gonna be higher than normal for awhile as they fill the lake:cool:

PlyaPlya22
02-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Wow, I guess my depth finder wasn't acting goofy. I found some 3.5 foot areas near where you were describing this weekend. That woulda put a damper on the maiden voyage!
Hey Randy,
It was nice meetin you and the family this weekend. Hopefully we'll hang out some more this year!:)

Kachina26
02-17-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by PlyaPlya22
Hey Ray,
It was nice meetin you and the family this weekend. Hopefully we'll hang out some more this year!:) Yeah, that was cool. My boy got a kick out of hanging with the other kids in the channel. Tell Mel I want to see some updates on that thread we were talking about.

ChumpChange
02-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Plya & Katchina
It was definately a nice weekend to chill in Havasu! Where were you guys on Sunday? Hung over from Saturday watchin the fireworks?

PlyaPlya22
02-17-2004, 05:12 PM
ChmpChgn,
We had to head back to Cali. We'll have to hang out again. I think were going up March 18th-21st, you gonna be there?

Kachina26
02-17-2004, 06:02 PM
I hung out in the channel until midnight saturday after the fireworks show, didn't want to deal with the ramp. I also wanted to watch a movie on the dvd player on the boat. Got in around 2 am and just crashed. I went back down to the storage on Sunday to wax the boat and grab some stuff out of it. It was definately cool meeting both you guys, we will have to hook up again. How was it getting the Dana out of site 6?

ChumpChange
02-21-2004, 08:52 AM
Lets just say that the boat didn't come out of the water too easy at 6......I burned off half of my 32 inch tires. Launced from Windsor on Sunday and it was much easier to get in and out. We're definantely going back up during spring break in March. Have you hit 10 on your engine yet?

Kachina26
02-21-2004, 10:04 AM
I made 8.5 that weekend, I woulda got 10 but I spent Saturday kickin it in the channel with you guys. Oh well, it was time well spent. We're going back March 13 for a firemans BBQ up in Golden Shores, my uncles are in the FD up there, I will get another couple hours and change the oil then. I hope to do a trip after that with a few of the guys from work during spring break, it'll be a saugage fest on the boat that weekend.