PDA

View Full Version : Daycruiser Rudder

SPECTRABRENT
02-16-2004, 08:36 PM
I just removed my rudder and it has seen better days.
The chrome is chipped and rust is starting to eat away, like cancer.
Can the rudder be welded and rechromed or do I need to buy a new one?
Brent

BigBoyToys
02-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Buy a new one anytime safety is a factor (and it is here)

superdave013
02-17-2004, 06:29 AM
Don't risk it and just get a new one.
Rexone, Mike @ Rex Maine or Looking for Liquid, Dan @ Canyon Marine both should have them.

BOAT ANCHOR
02-17-2004, 10:04 AM
Get a new rudder. Try contacting Barber Welding in Bell Gardens, Ca. (526) 928-2570. They build custom rudders, struts, fins, stuffing boxes, tiller arms, and water pick ups. This hardware is all available fabricated out of 17-4 PH stainless steel (heat treatable stainless) which when heat treated exhibits similar mechanical properties as 4130 chrome molly steel. 17-4 can be polished to a near chrome brilliance with out the issues of chrome plating (hydrogen embrittlement, poor plating adhesion, peeling, blisters, ect,ect.) and will never rust or peel. Their rudders are 100% custom built, and they have many different rudder blade styles to choose from, as well as choices of rudder shaft diameter. Their hardware is metallurgically certifiable (welding and material) and is simply just awesome stuff. Their hardware can be a little spendy, but it doesn't get any better than theirs. Just another choice.

superdave013
02-17-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by BOAT ANCHOR
Get a new rudder. Try contacting Barber Welding in Bell Gardens, Ca. (526) 928-2570. They build custom rudders, struts, fins, stuffing boxes, tiller arms, and water pick ups. This hardware is all available fabricated out of 17-4 PH stainless steel (heat treatable stainless) which when heat treated exhibits similar mechanical properties as 4130 chrome molly steel. 17-4 can be polished to a near chrome brilliance with out the issues of chrome plating (hydrogen embrittlement, poor plating adhesion, peeling, blisters, ect,ect.) and will never rust or peel. Their rudders are 100% custom built, and they have many different rudder blade styles to choose from, as well as choices of rudder shaft diameter. Their hardware is metallurgically certifiable (welding and material) and is simply just awesome stuff. Their hardware can be a little spendy, but it doesn't get any better than theirs. Just another choice.
That's the same choice. I bet all of Barbers vendors just love it every time they get short cutted.
I still say go to Rex or Canyon because the price will be the same and they are the ones that spend their time on this site helping all of us like they do.

v-drive
02-17-2004, 11:18 AM
I have to go along with SD on this one. Rex has more than been helpful to all of us.... :D :cool: v-drive

Jetboatguru
02-17-2004, 11:35 AM
I think he should buy a used from somebody that is willing to part with it. Why buy it from somebody new when you can get it for cheap?
;) :wink:

Lookin for Liquid
02-17-2004, 03:00 PM
Metallurgy 101 says there is a life expectancy of hardened or heat treated steels that endure deflective loads, vibration or inconsistent stress. Rudders or Struts have a life expectancy of ??????....No one knows for sure, but when it comes to a safety related item such as underwater gear, I do believe I would want to know how old the item is and what kind of abuse its been through. Some parts are a great deal used and some people might want to have the peace of mind knowing what is in control of their boat at 100 mph +, especially when they usually do not monitor its condition. Tony...not meant as a dig at you but I know you are fairly concerned when it involves a safety related item.

Jetboatguru
02-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Dan, I did not take it as a dig at me. My post was a sarcastic one. Whenever somebody wants to know where theycan buy something, a lot of people usually jump in and offer up their used stuff for free or at a highly discounted rate. This undermines exactly what you are saying about safety and life expectancies. You are totally correct in your post, nobody knows for sure how long a rudder will last so you should start off with a new one. I appreciate the courteous response.

Kindsvater Flat
02-17-2004, 05:10 PM
No offence but new shit don't always work either.

Jetboatguru
02-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Kindsvater Flat
No offence but new shit don't always work either.
Are you still bitter about your head gaskets?:D
Come on K flat we need to get you into a Chevy.
Call me when you a get a chance.

FLYTE RISK
02-17-2004, 05:27 PM
Mine is rusty also but it is so long I could probably cut the lower 12"s off and still have 2ft. left. What is the correct measurement 10 " or 9' just curious?:confused:

dossangers
02-17-2004, 05:27 PM
What about X-RAYING it??

Jetboatguru
02-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Mr Risk,
A 10 inch rudder will suit you fine but you could go to nine inches.
Whatever is gonna help you whoop up on Snagster.
Are you going to make Needles?

FLYTE RISK
02-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Jetboatguru
Mr Risk,
A 10 inch rudder will suit you fine but you could go to nine inches.
Whatever is gonna help you whoop up on Snagster.
Are you going to make Needles? MR. T Yes needles is a go, for sure. As far as the ? afformentioned I thought it was 10" But Ya know how it goes askin questiones I thought 9"s ( was a little short.. ) And I see you sold those heads I had some interest myself for my 600" motor...:D :D :D

Lookin for Liquid
02-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by dossangers
What about X-RAYING it??
X-Raying or Magnafluxing will tell you if you have a crack but not when you are about to get one from age or embrittlement.

SPECTRABRENT
02-17-2004, 05:59 PM
I ordered a stainless rudder.
Thanks,
Brent

Sangster
02-17-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by FLYTE RISK
MR. T Yes needles is a go, for sure. As far as the ? afformentioned I thought it was 10" But Ya know how it goes askin questiones I thought 9"s ( was a little short.. ) And I see you sold those heads I had some interest myself for my 600" motor...:D :D :D
That turd of yours wouldn't know what to do with 600 c.i....:rolleyes:

FLYTE RISK
02-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Well it showed yours the ass with a 396.. SOOOOOOOOOO What can we call yuurrsss:confused: :D Mine is a turd than yours is a ??????????? lol :p

Sangster
02-17-2004, 08:15 PM
COLD BEER

FLYTE RISK
02-17-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Sangster
COLD BEER YUUPPPP you still owe me a 12 pack:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

SUI-CY-COLE
02-17-2004, 08:42 PM
im gonna go grab a beer and watch this one unfold...and then think about new years two years ago around 7 in the morning................now that was fun!!!:D

Sangster
02-17-2004, 08:44 PM
.......And your LIVER is probally thankin' me ...We'll see ya Father's Day for sure.......We'll bring a couple keg's of C_ _ _S Light...... for the rookies

FLYTE RISK
02-18-2004, 05:38 AM
Sangster you not going to make Billy B's. deal?? :confused:

Hud
02-18-2004, 06:15 AM
When it comes to a rudder, to me new is the only way to go. If for no other reason, piece of mind!