PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Video help/info??

Akamatsu
02-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Looking at putting a video system in my Yukon XL(and eventually a very basic one in my boat to fulfill a prior promise to my daughter.). I am going back and forth between a large drop down, or multiple headrest monitors.
Looking for any and all suggestions. Trying to do as much research as I can. I want the install to be as clean as possible. I know some of you have systems in your vehicles, what do you have and what do you like/dislike?
Akamatsu.

PerfectionDtail
02-17-2004, 11:50 AM
I think a 13" flip down is made. That thing is huge in the vehicle. The headrest monitors are specific to what angle the person in front has the headrest positioned. I would do the biggest flip down available.

ROZ
02-17-2004, 12:08 PM
We have an Alpine flip in the wifes car. It has a swivel mount and has good off axis viewing for the rear seat passengers, but is quite obtrusive when its down. If you don't mind having your view blocked, go with a 10 inch drop down for the 2nd row seats and a 7 or 8 for 3rd row....Anything larger than that is too bright to watch...IMHO...
If you don't want the dropdown blind spot( it really annoys me), go the vizualogic/epic headrest packages... They are cost effective and are an easy do -it- yourself install... One of the posts in the headrest is hollow and has the wires run through it, so it looks clean...
Recently, my daughter and wife broke the drop down mechanism by forcing it shut. After I get the replacement part and fix it, I'll also add headrest monitors to both sides... Makes less conflict in the backseat among the kids( my daughter and her friends) when driving...No more " but I can't see it" going on.....
Hope this helps...
Chris

ROZ
02-17-2004, 01:15 PM
Anyone for a 32" plasma in their car? :rolleyes:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid99/p3d69cd982afe1d675520e0fabdf563c7/f9f9ffc8.jpg

Akamatsu
02-17-2004, 08:02 PM
Thanks guys, it does help...
I have checked out Alpine's website, it looks like the biggest drop down they make is a 7". If I am going to do a drop down, I think I want bigger.
I stopped by Al & Ed's and looked at what they had to offer. They tried to pitch a Rosen 10.4" drop down. I will admit the screen looked good in the display. Anyone have any opinion on them? They also make a retro-fit console that will house my rear air controls as well. The actual screen case was a two-tone tan, which would look good with my tan interior. I was inquiring about a 15" screen. The salesman was telling me that at that size, the screen gets blurry?? Is that because they are not using Active matrix? I wouldn't think you would have any problems, unless they are doing something like Dual-scan? I don't know. As I said, I am just getting into it now. Are there any good enthusiast sites/forums for me to go get some more information? Looking for some non-biased reviews(or at least as close to non-bias as I can get, everyone has favorites.)
I also have an opportunity to buy Nesa products at good prices. Anyone know anything about them? From what I saw, they looked good, but I'm still looking for feedback. I'd rather get something I am going to be happy with, rather than something cheap.
The plasma is neat :D, but way overboard for what I am looking for.. Looks like an item for SEMA..
I am still giving the blind spot issue some thought. When I am towing the boat, it will be a non-issue as I can't see anything but the boat anyway. But trips to Mammoth, Tahoe, etc, it will be annoying.. Hmmm.. Still comtemplating that issue.
Keep the information coming, I am absorbing all I can. Thanks.
Akamatsu

ROZ
02-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Active matrix, hmmm. Good point. Have you ever priced an LCD panel tv for the home? 15's are still running around 1200.00.... 20's are hovering around the 2k mark... Now I'm going to haveto check this out... Thanks :rolleyes: :D
There are some pretty good Car audio forums out there.. I have www.carsound.com logged in my favorites.... Some really good forum catagories...
I like some of the Rosen stuff. The consoles they have available are pretty nice.
A coworker of mine will only go with NESA, but I think that the price he gets it at from a buddy of his who ownes a shop has a lot to do with it... I watched disney movies in both of his NESA equipt cars, and the DVD picture looked prety good...
Ultimately buy what looks best to you....Always remember that you get what you pay for...

riverbound
02-18-2004, 09:46 AM
Akamatsu,
Waht Al&Eds did you stop by? We do offer discounts for forum members (ontario store)
I would recomend that you either stay with rosen or go with the vizualogic kits for headrest. The vizualogic headrest do have the ability to tilt, to accomidate the angle of the seat.

Akamatsu
02-18-2004, 08:45 PM
I stopped by the La Verne store. I sent you a PM. Thanks.
Akamatsu

ROZ
02-19-2004, 03:11 PM
What part of La Verne are you in? i have relatives who live on Amhurst/Fruit...

Akamatsu
02-19-2004, 09:51 PM
I live in the North/West part of La Verne. I am probably about a mile from your relatives. I drive right by there probably twice a week to get crickets at the pet store on Fruit/Foothill. Let me know next time you are in the area.
Akamatsu.

ROZ
02-19-2004, 10:34 PM
Probably going to be there in a couple weeks to help my uncle mount his new plasma ;) And it ain't going into the RX470 :D

Akamatsu
02-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Just saw this deal on a 30" LCD TV.
30" LCD Sale, Feb 27
Dell Home has a $400 off coupon good on their 30" LCD W3000 TV 1280x768, DVI, Code: 5410C872D91E Exp 3/3
$2799 - $400 coupon = $2399 shipped free.
Figured I would pass it on. $2400 bucks for a 30" LCD TV with the faroudja chipset seems like a good deal to me. For anyone looking for a LCD TV.
Akamatsu

ROZ
02-27-2004, 08:36 PM
Looks like a pretty good price for such a large consumer LCD flat panel tv. HD @ 1080i...
The only think that I don't like is the viewing angle. It says +/_ 85 degrees... Sharp's Aquious tv's have a 180 degree view angle...
Bottom line is that you really have to look at several models in your price range. They will appear different eventhough the specs state otherwise... For example: the Mitsubishi LT3020 and the Sony KLV30XBR950 have a much better scan rate processing, but the Sharp comperable has a better picture than the mitsubishi...

Akamatsu
03-01-2004, 05:41 PM
I looked at the Tech Specs on it and I see it is +/-88° from center (vertical and horizontal). Which would equate to 176° viewing angle as I calculate it?? I would imagine that as the difference apples to apples.
Here's the quote:
Superior picture quality HDTV ready, wide aspect display capable of 16:9 format
400:1 contrast ratio and DCDi™ by Faroudja video processing technology for crisp, clear images, even with fast-paced action video (e.g., sporting events)
Wide viewing angle up to +/-88° from center (vertical and horizontal) for a great view from any position in the room
I have a 20" LCD Monitor from Dell and I have been very happy with it. Dell rebrands just about all of their peripherals, so I am not sure who actually makes the TV, but with a little cyber-investigation I am sure it wouldn't be too difficult.
Either way, I am not in the market for a LCD TV right now, so it's a deal that I am going to pass on.
Akamatsu

ROZ
03-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Akamatsu
I looked at the Tech Specs on it and I see it is +/-88° from center (vertical and horizontal). Which would equate to 176° viewing angle as I calculate it?? I would imagine that as the difference apples to apples.
Gotta watch out for those "from center" measurements....
Bottom line is that regardless of specs a person needs to see any consumer electronics in person before they purchase... There are items that I've seen that have better specs but perform inferior to another brand's comparable model...
Also, don't let the Faroudja video processing fool you. Just like most MFG's, they have put their name on lower grade products to keep a float... Most MFG's within similar price ranges have similar if not better proprietary onboard processors in their units...
Don't get me wrong they probably make one of the best video processors out there, but like the outboard units that made their name, they're still lots-o dollars...
Besides, that 3/2 conversion stuff gives me a headache...http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sad/1/sad12.gif