PDA

View Full Version : Replacement headers

MANIC MECHANIC
02-17-2004, 03:36 PM
I'm considering buying this boat.
454 not sure which head.
Does the peanut port head require a different header than the rectangular port head?
Does anyone still make this style thru-transom header?
Is this water jacketed or injected?
This one has a crack in it,(under the hose clamp, ex leak only)
I'm not sure whether it could be succesfully welded or not.
Is this stainless? How can I tell for sure?
Does stainless "heat erode" like mild steel does?
They look about shot to me.
If I had to replace them what would it cost me?
Any chance of finding a used set?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/11912003_0115Tim0008-med.JPG
Thanks
Tim

travis hathaway
02-17-2004, 04:10 PM
They look homemade with a logger riser. Interesting approach!

cstraub
02-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Manic, aren't you on the Kanau River, spelling is off I know.
Chris

MANIC MECHANIC
02-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by cstraub69
aren't you on the Kanau River
Chris
Chris,
the Kanawha river is up in Charleston WV,
About two hours north of me.
Where in Tenn. are you?
Tim

Jordy
02-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by MANIC MECHANIC
I'll hit them one at a time. My answers are in bold.
Does the peanut port head require a different header than the rectangular port head? No.
Does anyone still make this style thru-transom header? looks kinda like someone made it in their garage.
Is this water jacketed or injected? injected
This one has a crack in it,(under the hose clamp, ex leak only)
I'm not sure whether it could be succesfully welded or not. stainless can be welded, I don't think that is stainless though
Is this stainless? How can I tell for sure? can't help you there, but judging by all the rust I'm really thinking it's not
Does stainless "heat erode" like mild steel does? I'd say over time if at all, but definately last much longer though
They look about shot to me.
If I had to replace them what would it cost me? Bassett makes a through transom header that would eliminate your snails. The question is, and it's not clear in the pic, are you running an engine hatch/cover? It really doesn't look like you are, and in that case, the Bassett's would work for you and run upwards of $700 or so new.
Any chance of finding a used set? keep your eyes open as they pop up from time to time.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Very very interesting! Those look like some bassetts flip over
:rolleyes: Jordy answered everything for you ;)

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
02-18-2004, 06:57 AM
HAS ANYONE SEEN THESE HEADERS FOR SALE. IT LOOKS LIKE WHAT I NEED TO FIT UNDER THE COWL OF MY 72 SIDEWINDER!... ANY INPUT? THANKS A LOT...BILL.

Jordy
02-18-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
HAS ANYONE SEEN THESE HEADERS FOR SALE. IT LOOKS LIKE WHAT I NEED TO FIT UNDER THE COWL OF MY 72 SIDEWINDER!... ANY INPUT? THANKS A LOT...BILL.
First of all, see my post above.
Secondly, if you're running it under a cowl, you're going to want to run water jacketed not water injected, that is unless you like your boat burned to a point just above the water line. :D

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
02-18-2004, 03:17 PM
WELL, OK, BURNING MY RIDE SOUNDS LIKE IT WOULD SUCK. HAS ANYONE SEEN HI-PERFORMANCE WATER JACKETED LOG TYPE HEADERS?...BILL.

MANIC MECHANIC
02-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
are you running an engine hatch/cover? It really doesn't look like you are, and in that case, the Bassett's would work for you and run upwards of $700 or so new.
Thanks for the info.
Actually I would like to run the cover.
Who makes a water jacketed thru transom header?
Tim

Big Boys Toy PE857
02-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Cstraub,
I live in Charleston and boat on the Kanawha River. In fact several years ago there was an article about my boat and the headline proclaimed me "King of the Kanawha". Don't you think that got a shit storm stirred up with my speed boat buddies.

cstraub
02-18-2004, 08:08 PM
Big Boys,
I enquired. My dad just retired from their. He ran a pretty big boat up there. .. .The PA Denny.
Chris

VD CRUISER
02-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Manic,
Lightning & CMI are 2 that make thru transom headers. There are others and several make cast aluminum manifolds.

shirkey4750
02-19-2004, 05:36 AM
cstraub69
Nothing against your dad, but the PA Denny is the most hated boat on the river. Big rollers and low freeboard ***boats do not go together. PE 857 has the fastest boat on the river, but what is he king of? That question best left unanswered. Just kidding Jim. Boated with him for the last 30 yrs. The stories that could be told. But that could go both ways, so we won't go there.