PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Noise

WopOnWater
02-18-2004, 09:46 PM
I have a friend that is going out and spending close to 800 bucks to quite his boat down to 86db because he was told that they were writing tickets at all the public launch ramps at Havasu the last couple of weekends and they are going to crack down hard this summer. Has anybody heard about this or witnessed it ? Or know someone that received a ticket for loud exhaust ?

Kilrtoy
02-18-2004, 09:55 PM
what is he running

WopOnWater
02-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Its a stock merc 502 with headers

moneysucker
02-18-2004, 10:38 PM
I hope your friend has fun with that. I will take the ticket. The law has been in effect for some time right now it is from shore measurements until Jan 2005. I asked about the law on here and someone gave me the website to look up the actual law. They will probably give you the same when they see your thread. Also, it is a CA law so if you launch from AZ it shouldn't be as bad. Just a thought.
"PLEASE BE QUIET, YOU ARE SCARING THE WILD LIFE" BS Envirofags, Who comes up with these regulations? They have a new exaust noise law for the desert too.

Boatcop
02-19-2004, 04:50 AM
We wrote a few tickets for noise last weekend. Most were running open headers with no mufflers, and the ones that got hit for noise level readings were around 108 db.
Another guy had no lifejackets and 2 year expired registration.
Yes, we work on the water year-round.

Jungle Boy
02-19-2004, 06:02 AM
Noise laws will regulate everyone in the future but some common sense by the guys that are running open headers past docks and peoples homes would help. If the loud guys think that the people that pay big bucks for homes on the beach are going sit there and not complain and eventually get laws passed they are dreaming. I like the sound of open headers as much as the next guy (maybe more), but like I said, the tax payers at the lake will win in the end.
Let the flaming begin.:( :eek!:

Buff
02-19-2004, 06:59 AM
Don't they know how freaking quiet it is gonna be when they are dead? You're alive - make noise! You're at the River for christ's sake - not Rose Hills! buf

Danhercules
02-19-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Boatcop
We wrote a few tickets for noise last weekend. Most were running open headers with no mufflers, and the ones that got hit for noise level readings were around 108 db.
Another guy had no lifejackets and 2 year expired registration.
Yes, we work on the water year-round.
Has there been many tickets given in the Big River area or the Lost Lake area?

Havaparty
02-19-2004, 08:05 AM
Don't launch at the Marina. We just launched our 34 cat w twin 1000's at winsor, the ranger was at the top of the ramp and didn't say a thing.

havaduner
02-19-2004, 08:14 AM
Hey Boatcop! Am I missing something? My understanding was the law doesnt go into effect till Jan 1 2005. Last time I looked, this was still 2004. How are you enforcing a law that hasnt gone into effect yet?

Dave C
02-19-2004, 08:43 AM
I heard that they are stepping up enforcement down there?
AT our local lakes the cops are pretty reasonable. If you have "something" to baffle the noise and don't "flaunt" it then they leave you alone. Something like baffles and water, etc. Even if you stand out not much scrutiny is paid as long as there is some sort of noise control.
If you run nothing, no water, no baffles then your getting a ticket.
Boatcop, does this philosophy work for you?

Essex502
02-19-2004, 08:47 AM
We launched this past weekend at the Lake Havasu Marina with no problems. We are running a stock 502MPI with through transom exhaust and no one said a word...it could be that hardly anyone was around.

WopOnWater
02-19-2004, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think he is hitting the panic button to soon. But he insists on doing it.

Rexone
02-19-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by havaduner
Hey Boatcop! Am I missing something? My understanding was the law doesnt go into effect till Jan 1 2005. Last time I looked, this was still 2004. How are you enforcing a law that hasnt gone into effect yet?
The Ca noise law starts Jan 2005. Boat cop is in AZ so it doesn't affect him (yet).

RJ Nordic
02-19-2004, 09:37 PM
An important piece of the equation is, "How much is the ticket?"
Have to balance that vs getting the engine quiet enough to meet regulations.
Just might have to be the "cost of doing business." Who said having weekend fun was cheap?:rolleyes:

Beautiful Noise
02-19-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
But was this at cruising speed OR at testing with the guys Reving at 4500 rpm's in Nutural.I got stopped last year and got tested and tested over 100db's the funny thing was my friend was following me in his Boat which is a quiet outboard and he told me he could hardly hear me. The Officer that pulled me over was going the other direction when we passed, He turned around and pulled me over and said the reason he pulled me over was because he noticed that I didn't have any muffler's in I was only cruising around at about 1800rpm's Not at 4500rpm's. I do have water running thru my Bassett's why don't they test you at cruising speed's?When the motor is under a load it's alot quieter than Reving in Nutural.

Cole Sanger
02-20-2004, 07:29 AM
You just reminded me about something that happened last week. I live in a suburb of Phoenix and we have a ton of those motorized scooters. You know the ones. Anyway, I have about 5 that are constantly riding up and down my street in front of my house. The noise is rediculous. I have a two year old daughter that needs a nap during the day. Long story short, these kids are always waking her up. I finally chased a couple of them down and treatend to find their parents if they didn't stop riding at full speed in front of my house. I never really thought about it, but this must be what the people that live on the river have to put up with. I am sure that when the realitor was showing them their houses, there weren't a bunch of boats hauling ass past, just like their weren't a bunch of kids riding those scooters in front of mine when I bought it. Just a short story I thought people might be able to relate to.

WopOnWater
02-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Sorry to about your daugter being awakend by gas powered scooters but that is just kids having fun. I dont mean to sound like an ass but thats just the way it is. Maybe you should move her room to the back of the house. On our street we have the same thing with scooters, pocket bikes and what ever else the kids ride these days going up and down the street. Whos cares ! I know if they had them when I was a kid I would be riding the hell out of it. Its just like people that buy on the water and bitch about the boats being to loud going back and forth in front of there house. Excuse me what did you think, because you bought on the water that all boating stops because you want piece and quiet. You should not have bought there if you wanted it to be quiet. Just my .02

HotRod Sprint
02-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by havaduner
Boatcop said the DB's were at about 108, the current noise level in AZ is 98 DB's, if I remember correctly.
Rod

Kim Hanson
02-20-2004, 08:43 PM
This is stupid, I have seen stereos in car's here that make you shake in your own truck..sitting at an intersection!
I have exhaust on my V-Drive, it's loud..my " OB " is the same way with the exhaust lifted out of the water...I can't go out to my closest lake, because it's too loud...It's an OB! Go figure that shit out!
I move around alot:D .........( . )( . ).......