PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel Ram injection system

Jake W
02-18-2004, 11:14 PM
Taylorman had put up a Ebay add a while back and ever since I have not been able to get the idea out of my head.
I want to build a tunnel ram injection system for my 460 FORD.
Can some one give me a parts list or a system that might be more easy?
So I need
one Tunnel Ram
One Bird catcher
one t tank
please help on the rest
thanks Jake:confused:http://i2.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/26/80/a2_1.JPG

Fiat48
02-18-2004, 11:22 PM
Enderle sells the line kit, nozzle bodys, nozzles and the hat. I think he also has the top plate to adapt the tunnel ram. You also need an 80A pump, pills, fuel shutoff, fuel shutoff cable. Barell Valve spool is different also. You'll need a belt drive setup too. Call Enderle Fuel Injection. Ask for Jim.

Blown 472
02-18-2004, 11:23 PM
And then get really friendly with the back of your boat while you tune it.

sdba069
02-18-2004, 11:30 PM
2 places I would go, me or Good Vibrations....My # is 254-889-3336/ Good Vibrations 1-800-576-7661......Just got back from Texas raceway tuning our new tunnel ram / birdcatcher setup on our fresh 632. Full body 97 Olds Cutlass 2300# no driver out of the traailer and minimum tune up ran 3 back to back 4.97's at 139 and 140 mph. i just finished putting this motor together and setting up the injection this afternoon and went straight to the track. I was impressed.

Jake W
02-18-2004, 11:36 PM
Thanks Fait 48 for the info
sdba069 what about the hard to start issue some in the other thread said you would need a primer or squirt bottle.I will give you a call tomarrow.
Jake:D

Jake W
02-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Oyea this is for my JETBOAT:)
Jake

UBFJ #454
02-19-2004, 01:34 AM
4.97/139 & 140 ??? Typo?

Foggerjet
02-19-2004, 05:13 AM
I believe that is in the 1/8th mile, bear. It seems that very few people run the eighth out west, but almost all the tracks down this way are 1/8 mile. Hell, SC only has 2 1/4 mile tracks, Darlington and Jackson, Jackson is 10 mi. from here. The IHRA brackets run the 1/8 mile. and 4.97@140 is nasty fast!
fog

sdba069
02-19-2004, 06:01 AM
Sorry about not mentioning the 1/8 mile deal, I did that assume thing. We run IHRA Div. 4 points with this car in Top Sportsman. I think once we get the tune up, launch RPM, and shift RPM where we want them it should run low 4.80's on motor. We also run some local Outlaw Top Sportsman which is a 4.70 heads up deal on a Pro Tree and we spray about 200 hp, then we attempt to run Pro Mod with it sometime and spray 500hp. Pro Mod has gotten so tough that if you can't run a 4.30 you can't even qualify. As far as the starting, the only time we use the primer is on a cold start, but yes you will need one, to hell with that squirt bottle thing. After the motor is warm, we start spinning the motor over with the ignition off for about 8 or 10 revolutions and then turn on the ignition and it starts every time. We do the same thing on our blown stuff. On our primer systems, we just use a little cheap electric fuel pump and a NOS fuel solenoid. Some people run a seperate small gasoline tank for the primer because gas will start it a little easier, but my personal stuff, I use alky for the primer and have no problem. Besides, 1 less tank to mount and you don't have to worry about carrying gas and alky with you. Damn, I'm outa breath, hope this helps.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=596239

Jake W
02-19-2004, 06:31 AM
I was wanting to run Gas through it all the time thats can be done right?
what would a set up like this cost not including the tunnel ram, just the pills fuel pump birdcatcher lines injecters ect.

Squirtcha?
02-19-2004, 07:13 AM
Not trying to be an ass Jake, but doesn't this seem a little exotic for a lake boat? By the time you buy all your hardware n stuff you probably could've gone with a blower. I admit it'd be trick as hell and sure would look cool. I've seen the setups for sale before and always drooled over em. Just don't think I'd want to run one on my daily (weekendly) driver. I really like being able to just bump the key to start it.

Blown 472
02-19-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Squirtcha?
Not trying to be an ass Jake, but doesn't this seem a little exotic for a lake boat? By the time you buy all your hardware n stuff you probably could've gone with a blower. I admit it'd be trick as hell and sure would look cool. I've seen the setups for sale before and always drooled over em. Just don't think I'd want to run one on my daily (weekendly) driver. I really like being able to just bump the key to start it.
Ding, how many times do people have to say it, "race stuff" sure it is bitchen but it was designed and built for drag racing or tractor pulling, not idling thru no wake zones and shit, save you self some money and headaches and either get a lap top tunable efi set up or stick with carbs.

MAXIMUS
02-19-2004, 08:22 AM
Blown are you trying to say this is not a recreational piece???:confused:http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/217engine_pic4-med.jpg

Chris J
02-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Holley makes a kit that uses two throttle body injectors that bolt to a standard 4150 base tunnel ram. They still had it in their catalog at their booth when the NHRA was at BIR.
You could also build you own with a Multi Port Controller. 8 injectors, two fuel rail, pump ect and two non-injected throttle bodies.

Jake W
02-19-2004, 09:27 AM
Dan and blown you guys make alot of sents.But for my boat I do not ski with it we have a Gayliner for that it is just to jump in and hammer it down the cove and that is about it.
Yes it is extioc and that is why I like it.
OK I am going to say something people will think I am crazy for I do not want a blower motor.
And trick as hell is what I am after.
I want the tunnel ram look but do not want to F with two carbs going in and out of tune and having to rebuild them ect.
Chris I really like the Idea of the throttle bodies but then it just looks like a carb set up please give more info on multi port injection thing what would I need to get that going.
Yea I know you give a books and he builds a bonfire.
The only other thing I would want to do it go with a SHEET METAL TR with a single dominator on it with a fogger system but that is no where as trick as the injection.
Thanks for all the guys responding with help full info.
JETBOAT

Infomaniac
02-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Jake - I PM'd you the details of injection lake boat.
Here is one EFI that would be cool but it only comes in small block Ford.
http://www.ez-efi.com/images/2386.jpg
This one would bolt on the tunnel ram manifold and is EFI
You would end up spending 7,700 or so for it.
http://www.ez-efi.com/images/End-kit-1w.jpg http://www.ez-efi.com/images/End-Hat-1.jpg http://www.ez-efi.com/images/EFI-Plate-1.jpg

Blown 472
02-19-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by MAXIMUS
Blown are you trying to say this is not a recreational piece???:confused:http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/217engine_pic4-med.jpg
Nope, looks like a whacka killa. How does it do in a no wake zone? you ski behind it? very nice btw.

100mph
02-19-2004, 06:33 PM
If you don't want to screw with dual carbs, then enderly is not for you either. The spool in barrell valve is not meant for part throttle or extended idle. It will be sloppy fat, no accecerator pump, it is a WFO only system, and not good for much else. Electronics on TR with birdcatcher is doable and ultra COOL and driveable. Check this link and think it over.
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Squirtcha?
02-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Pretty cool stuff. Being in the electronics business for the past 14 years, I'd highly recommend potting that thing. I can only imagine what a nice little splash of water in the wrong place would do. I'm constantly dealing with water damaged electronics modules. They don't like it.
Experimental means that YOU are responsible for sorting out some details of your fuel injection that are specific to your application. Do-it-yourself means that you save money by assembling it yourself with a few basic tools
Click on comprehensive assembly instructions (http://www.megasquirt.info/index.htm)
Looks like you get a blank card and a box of components. It'd be a good test for your soldering skills?

Jake W
02-19-2004, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the info ugh Info, that is some nice stuff 7700 good loard thats alota money.
Not to ask a dumb ass question but what makes that so expinsive it looks to be more elotronics a plate and bird catcher and fuel pump fuel rail ?
100 build your own board man I couild really F that up.
Jake:)

Jake W
02-19-2004, 07:03 PM
Dan good question we went from tapping and bending injection lines hooking up pumps to building a electronic board.
Iam starting to sweat.:eek:
Jake

Blown 472
02-19-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Jake W
Dan good question we went from tapping and bending injection lines hooking up pumps to building a electronic board.
Iam starting to sweat.:eek:
Jake
You going to run this dealio on a ford? if so, you have some options. You can pick up a ford efi for a big block, which btw would work very well with a cintrfugal. Anywho, get the harness and the pump and all that shit from the doner truck. Shit can the ecu that cam with it and I had it written down which ecu to use but you can get ahold of Dennis at reinhart automotive.
I talked to him about this, and since you cant run an 02 sensor you have to run in open loop, there is an ecu that will allow you to do this, he can burn a chip that will plug right into the ecu and since you need to fatten on the top end he can do this as well.
If you need a bit more fuel after a plug check you can go with a adjustable fuel reg and put some more in, since you are in open loop the ecu wont compensate for it and back it down.
Or buy the motorsport programable that piggy backs a stock ecu.

Squirtcha?
02-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Oh my god..............did you go to that page for instructions Jake. I did a copy/paste into word to see how many pages it is...............
42 pages of instructions. Make damned sure you don't get one single component installed in the wrong place or mix up the legs on a transistor or put an electrolytic capacitor in backwards. It could potentially be the ol Pooof syndrome. Down the drain the first time you put power to it.
Never ever let the magic smoke out of your components. They don't like that either.
Pair o carbs is sounding better n better all the time.

Jake W
02-19-2004, 07:24 PM
Blown are you talking about putting a EFI MANIFOLD from lets say a Truck on my FORD or just the components hooked and plumbed to a Tunnel Ram?
Can any one tell me how much a Birdcatcher would run I am sure I could make my own plate to connect it to the tunnel Ram or SB Products (Brian )could make one for me.
I really want to thank you guys for putting foruth these good ideas.

Jake W
02-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Dan holey shit that is some length yea a SHEETMETAL intake and Dominator with a fogger system is looking pretty trick the more I read:eek:
I still like the idea of seeing all thoes plumbed lines.
You can not tell me you are not looking at your newley aquired tunnel ram a little diffrent now.

Blown 472
02-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Blown are you talking about putting a EFI MANIFOLD from lets say a Truck on my FORD or just the components hooked and plumbed to a Tunnel Ram?
Can any one tell me how much a Birdcatcher would run I am sure I could make my own plate to connect it to the tunnel Ram or SB Products (Brian )could make one for me.
I really want to thank you guys for putting foruth these good ideas.
Either or, you could get bungs welded in a tunnel ram, set up the throttle postion sensor on the bug catcher and go that route or use the truck stuff.
There is someone that does that on intakes, cant think of who it is but I have seen it done to a bunch of them.
You could have the best of both worlds, starts without primeing it, idles like a dream, kicks ass and looks bitchen.

Squirtcha?
02-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Dan holey shit that is some length yea a SHEETMETAL intake and Dominator with a fogger system is looking pretty trick the more I read:eek:
I still like the idea of seeing all thoes plumbed lines.
You can not tell me you are not looking at your newley aquired tunnel ram a little diffrent now.
I'll wait ta see yours buddy. ;)

100mph
02-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Don't dial 911 yet, take a few deep breaths and relax a min.
OK yes it looks tough, but 7700 bucks is reasonable figure for factory built system.
There are some expenses that can't be avoided. Say you drop 1500 on injectors, manifold, and pump plumbing etc, that leaves lots to build ecm, 300 bucks each. its mostly like building model read directions, and soder, not glue, (OK THAT A LITTLE OVERSIMPLIFIED) but I would imagine that with little more looking, maybe on the yahoo group someone is willing to do assembly and bench test the board unit, for fee. Then its same dealio as using big three ecm, from salvage yard wreck, (which is also very viable alternative), I also see no particular reason one couldn't use GM obd2, or ford or mopar parts, just a matter of which is most "HOTRODABLE" I know there has been a lot of stuff done with GM stuff on Z28s and Vettes. Just a thought to get people thinking, and maybe save some bucks. Is it easy duhno yet, is it reliable duno that either yet, is it Cheap (relatively speaking) yes, can all money spent on rest of fuel system be save by Buying pro made ECM if all else fails YES. Just seems viable to me, I am going to build one for myself for an old "83" model beater PU that I have to replace carb and play with it if it works there then another one will end up on my Tahiti, maybe even with blower as well.
Dan

Jake W
02-19-2004, 08:05 PM
It seems that the draw back on the injection system would be
1 Hard to start,fix N2O silanoide to prime it
2Fast idleing, but in a jet thats not a really big problem
As a guess what RPM would you think one of these injection systems idle?
Blown it sounds like you are on to something doable with a good find at a junk yard (mabey a dump truck motor or something)and the cost of a Bird catcher and tunnel ram I wonder what that would end up costing?
Dan I have a Victor intake Biggs carb,100 shot of N2O.a SB products 2 inch spacer and REX SS scoop I will be running this summer.This project will be in the find and buy the parts stage till next winter I am afraide.

Blown 472
02-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Noodle this..............
http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/fuel/16.html

Squirtcha?
02-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Dan I have a Victor intake Biggs carb,100 shot of N2O.a SB products 2 inch spacer and REX SS scoop I will be running this summer.This project will be in the find and buy the parts stage till next winter I am afraid.
Well that says it all right there. Sorry I didn't realize it was a future project.
Blown and 100 mph. I certainly didn't mean to belittle the ideas. I'm the president of the K.I.S.S. club. That's about all my feeble mind can handle. That and my don't fiddle with it.......drive it, drive it, drive it, mindset keeps me from over complicating things too much.
If ya do'er Jake, it'll definitely be a one off cool lookin deal. It would sure get my attention if I were to see it at the lake.

Blown 472
02-19-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Squirtcha?
Well that says it all right there. Sorry I didn't realize it was a future project.
Blown and 100 mph. I certainly didn't mean to belittle the ideas. I'm the president of the K.I.S.S. club. That's about all my feeble mind can handle. That and my don't fiddle with it.......drive it, drive it, drive it, mindset keeps me from over complicating things too much.
If ya do'er Jake, it'll definitely be a one off cool lookin deal. It would sure get my attention if I were to see it at the lake.
No problemo, I am always thinking of stuff, I was noodling a injected 429 in my 93 lincoln and was looking into different stuff.

sdba069
02-19-2004, 10:32 PM
It's all what you want to do and how much you want to spend. We ahve several guys that hang out here on the Brazos with constant flow injected lake boats and the don't seem to be having problems. You can do it with gas, but I personally prefer alky. I don't know who told you that idle is a problem, but that is total bull. I can idle that monster 632 in our Olds below 800 RPM no problen and it has well over .800 lift. True you have to run it rich at idle due to no accelerator pump but that hasn't proven to be much of a problem either. I won't argue that an EFI system would be more user friendly on a lake boat, but any worthwhile proven system is big money. There are some economical systems out there, but generally there are programming problems associated with them and usually very little customer support. hey man, go with what yo like and don't worry about what anybody else thinks about it. That's kinda like" What color should I paint my boat?" Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.

MAXIMUS
02-20-2004, 07:44 AM
Mechanical fuel injection works excellent if you take the time to set it up properly! I would have to agree that a really good electronic system is spendy & also not really that cool looking! Havasu 47 could enlighten you a bunch on this subject! As for mechanical injection it works!
Blown to answer your question it runs like a dream. Never fowled a plug or had a problem starting it! Idles all day long between 1000 & 2800 (surge) very good cool factor. I have spent a lot of time on the bypass valve springs & shims as well as the primer system! Basically all the myths have been put to rest!:) And yes it could BIOTCH slap a few of those crazy little wackas!

superdave013
02-20-2004, 09:08 AM
If you want to do it then do it. It won't be that bad. I ran a little pump with a check valve to prime my fuel system. Hit the starter and the fuel and bam! it's running.
If it's a hot rod deal and not the main ski boat in the group why not. Take a chance and be different.
Here's a pic of my last set up that was in my lake hot rod.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48jpnengine1.jpg

Unchained
02-20-2004, 10:23 AM
When I was concidering one of the Enderle mechanical systems 4 years ago. I called Good Vibrations Motorsports and Jim talked me out of it. I appreciated the fact that he was interested in my application rather then making a sale.
There is a guy who posts here occasionally and a year ago he bought a new Enderle unit for his blown flatbottom. He refered to all the best advise he could get on the board here but he told me that the difficult starting, high idle speed, and bad drivability were just too much to work with so he took it off and runs carbs again. He did get some real impressive pictures of it on the trailer though. :rolleyes:
EFI is the future and sooner or later we will all be using it
(except for the Vdrive guys) :D
So you might as well get to know it and understand it.

superdave013
02-20-2004, 10:27 AM
I put lots of hours on mine. But I do agree that EFI is the way to go. But i also raced mine from time to time and EFI was a no no with the them.

Unchained
02-20-2004, 12:20 PM
That raises a question, why would EFI be outlawed in IHBA and NHRA?
Do they feel that the EFI setups will outperform and obsolete all others?
I seen a thing on TV wednesday of a guy who was building a twin turbo EFI 4 cylinder funny car that would run on alky and nitro.
He claimed he could make over 4000 hp with it.
Problem was there was no class for it so he was going to run exhibitions.

Havasu47
02-20-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by MAXIMUS
Max, I've seen that boat before???:confused:
Blown, O2 sensors can be, and are, run in boats
Jake, Max has his dialed in as good as anyone ever has for pleasure use. The blower and engine set up makes his work. Without a blower and having a milder setup (correct me if I'm wrong) will make mech injection a little more difficult to tune. You can have the same cool look, hat and everything, with the drivability of EFI.
Just my .02

superdave013
02-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Unchained
That raises a question, why would EFI be outlawed in IHBA and NHRA?
Do they feel that the EFI setups will outperform and obsolete all others?
I seen a thing on TV wednesday of a guy who was building a twin turbo EFI 4 cylinder funny car that would run on alky and nitro.
He claimed he could make over 4000 hp with it.
Problem was there was no class for it so he was going to run exhibitions.
I can't give you the answer. And I don't know about the IHBA and NHRA. But if you lived out here and wanted to race your boat at NJBA in BGJ you couldn't with your EFI set up.

superdave013
02-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Havasu47
Jake, Max has his dialed in as good as anyone ever has for pleasure use. The blower and engine set up makes his work. Without a blower and having a milder setup (correct me if I'm wrong) will make mech injection a little more difficult to tune. You can have the same cool look, hat and everything, with the drivability of EFI.
Just my .02
I bet that hat EFI system cost close to if not more then Jake's boat did.

Blown 472
02-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Havasu47
Just my .02
Really? where would you put it so it wouldn't get wet?

Jake W
02-20-2004, 05:39 PM
Thanks agine for the info guys it is good to read the good and bad of the injection.
I am pertty dead set on doing the mec injction.The look of it just cant be beat with wires and such.I do like the pic of the injection that Info posted up for 7700 but holey shit that is some dough for the few parts it comes with.And I think I have a line on most of the parts for around 800 bucks except the Tunnel ram if they are still around when I get the cash for them if not I will start buying new.
SuperDave that is a relly nice set up I really like all the lines on that thing.And thanks for the info too.
One question I have is How much is a Birdcatcher or does any one have a link for one to price.
SDBA069 thanks for the encouragment and thanks for the offering of help I am most likely to need it.

sdba069
02-20-2004, 07:36 PM
You are welcome. I'll do some price checking and get back to you. Are you going to run a cam or belt driven pump? Also recommend a lean out due to the fact that a jet reaches max RPM instantly. I know guys that run without it, but I wouldn't. I personally like the belt drive pump setup. I hate running anything off the front of the cam. Let's see, birdcatcher, 80A pump, fuel shut-off, lean out, pump drive, and a jet assortment, that should do it aside from the supply and return hoses. The birdcatcher/ tunnel ram kit comes with the barrel valve, distribution block, tubing, nozzles, and nozzle holders. The tunnel ram kit also comes with a seperate main pill holder and the pill in the barrel valve is blank. I'll see what I can find out for you.

Unchained
02-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
I can't give you the answer. And I don't know about the IHBA and NHRA. But if you lived out here and wanted to race your boat at NJBA in BGJ you couldn't with your EFI set up.
I looked up the NJBA rulebook to see of they gave a reason why they would not allow EFI.
The only thing I found that related to it was for Pro Mod and faster classes.
The rules said that the injection system could not be controlled by the exhaust gasses (closed loop).
I didn't see anything that said no EFI systems.
Maybe I missed something, Those pdf files aren't my favorite to read through.

MoparSanger
02-22-2004, 03:38 PM
Here is a EFI tunnel ram that will be going on my boat. Just need to get a few more part for the motor.

LUVNLIFE
02-22-2004, 04:25 PM
I've been following this thraed and thanks for everyones input. I myself have a 468, roller cam 737/740 lift and soon to be aluminum heads. I was going to go with the Enderle injection since I have the tunnel ram and I sold the carbs off of it. They were to small. Keep the info coming guys. Cale

sdba069
02-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Cool................

TIMINATOR
02-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Why would you want to have the grief of a constant flow injection set-up and not the gains from the tuned ram effect? Not to say it can't be setup by someone knowledgable and work well, but again, the individual runner setup will make more power. You tune the ram to make the most HP at the rpm your pump turns. The ram effect is usually good for 25-40+hp and looks way cooler than a tunnelram in my opinion. Me, I'm doing an EFI conversion on a Crower stack injection, and will have a whole lot less than $7000 in it when complete, and that also includes the Super Pro Shot Fogger system too! If anyone is interested I'll post pics, or call or PM me. P.S i'm also doing an EFI- Enderle stack setup on my Northstar powered Track-T roadster. :) TIMINATOR

INEEDAV
02-22-2004, 06:30 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2462435258&category=42604
This may be something for you guys to keep an eye on.
Billy

sdba069
02-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by TIMINATOR
Why would you want to have the grief of a constant flow injection set-up and not the gains from the tuned ram effect? Not to say it can't be setup by someone knowledgable and work well, but again, the individual runner setup will make more power. You tune the ram to make the most HP at the rpm your pump turns. The ram effect is usually good for 25-40+hp and looks way cooler than a tunnelram in my opinion. Me, I'm doing an EFI conversion on a Crower stack injection, and will have a whole lot less than $7000 in it when complete, and that also includes the Super Pro Shot Fogger system too! If anyone is interested I'll post pics, or call or PM me. P.S i'm also doing an EFI- Enderle stack setup on my Northstar powered Track-T roadster. :) TIMINATOR
The reason hardly anyone but nostagia guys run them anymore is becuse they are so much better than the birdcatcher type that most of us run today. I ran the ram type for years and didn't think they could be beat, but we have found out different. You talk about grief of a constant flow system, I don't see it. We went to Ennis today to tune on our new injected 632 Pontiac powered 97 Olds Cutlass. We had no desire to race, just work on the new fuel system. Well we ended up going bracket racing and went 6 rounds and lost with a .006 red light and ran dead on. That was the only run that we actually legged it out and ran dead on our dial- in, 5.10. it starts easily every time and the only time we use the primer is on a cold start, and runs within .001 every pass.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=599662

100mph
02-22-2004, 09:50 PM
As for starting a constant flow, I never liked the idea of a bottle of fuel in someones hands good way to get someone burned. Just put ignition on a seperate toggle, start cranking starter, then when she starts puffin little alky vapor out the zoomies hit ignition and go racin. Never had a problem just remember to close throttle be for you hit mag, don't want to launch the blower.
Shady folks got shady ways
Dan

sdba069
02-23-2004, 07:46 AM
I agree about the squirt bottle, but notice above that I mention primer. No squirt bottles around our stuff. You know what's weird, as long as I've been arund this stuff, I've never seen anyone start a fire with a squirt bottle, I just never liked the idea.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=599662

LUVNLIFE
03-05-2004, 07:56 PM
I have been thinking which is a dangerous thing. I think in the Crawford catalog I saw what they call a select a jet. It is a in line dial that holds different jets and you turn a dial on top to select dif jets while the motor is running. You could have small ones for idling and low speed and switch it for upper RPM. Has anyone seen this or have any experience with the piece?

Squirtcha?
03-06-2004, 08:45 AM
I have a buddy that runs one on a Cheyenne tunnelhull BGF. He really likes it.

Fiat48
03-06-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by LUVNLIFE
I have been thinking which is a dangerous thing. I think in the Crawford catalog I saw what they call a select a jet. It is a in line dial that holds different jets and you turn a dial on top to select dif jets while the motor is running. You could have small ones for idling and low speed and switch it for upper RPM. Has anyone seen this or have any experience with the piece?
Those have been around for years. They used to be popular with sprint car guys as they could richen the mixture and cool the motor down when holding under a yellow flag. Idle and part throttle fuel mixture on a constant flow is controlled mainly by the barrell valve setting, not the main jet. With a "dial a jet" as they were most commonly called, you're selecting the main jet by rotating a dial. It's just a quick way of changing the main jet. Changing the main jet is only part of the picture of tuning constant flow, so they really are of little use.

TIMINATOR
03-07-2004, 06:09 PM
I thought we were talking about the possible grief for a lake boat, not a drag boat with a constant flow injection. I have run Webers with tuned length,Hilborn stacks with tuned length and have seen .3-.5s and 2-4 mph changes with stack length.If tuned length is meaningless why do all the High-perf cars use it? A jet boat is the best scenario use for a tuned length setup, (a constant rpm at wot)at w.o.t. you know the rpm you have and its easy to change the stack length to see what the rpm change is. I'll post the results and pics. TIMINATOR :)

sdba069
03-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by TIMINATOR
I thought we were talking about the possible grief for a lake boat, not a drag boat with a constant flow injection. I have run Webers with tuned length,Hilborn stacks with tuned length and have seen .3-.5s and 2-4 mph changes with stack length.If tuned length is meaningless why do all the High-perf cars use it? A jet boat is the best scenario use for a tuned length setup, (a constant rpm at wot)at w.o.t. you know the rpm you have and its easy to change the stack length to see what the rpm change is. I'll post the results and pics. TIMINATOR :)
It doesn't matter to me what you or anyone else runs. If it works for you, great. Most anyone on here who knows me can verify the number of boats I tune and the increasing number of drag cars I'm involved with. I'm at the drag strip 2 or 3 times a week and have only missed 2 SDBA boat race in over 15 years. The point of all this is that I can probably count on both hands the number of ram tube injection setups I've seen running on anything but nostalgia stuff for the past several years. I've run them myself up until about 18 years ago. For me and about 50 drag boats and drag cars I work on, the birdcatcher and Ron's(Toilet) work best for us. Nothing personal...........
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=613354