PDA

View Full Version : couplers????? help

RACER52
02-19-2004, 09:47 AM
what type coupler is everyone bolting up to their flywheel or flex plate.
I have 3 different types here in the shop. (none of which will bolt direct to my sfi flex plate but I will drill my own holes.
Can I use a mercruiser coupler or do I need to order one?
Is so what do I order??
thanks in advance
Racer

Havasu47
02-19-2004, 11:05 AM
What drive? Bravo? Or one that uses a trans, TRS, III, V, VI? What engine? A flex plate will not work in Merc. application.

RACER52
02-19-2004, 02:36 PM
havasu-
why cant I make a flexplat work. It will be for a bravo.
Is it too much torque where the coupler bolts to it?

Havasu47
02-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Two issues first. The flywheel is much thinner which will move the coupler away from the drive reducing the amount of spline contact. I suppose it could be made up with a spacer but the biggest concern is next. Flexplates do not run completely true which will wear on the internal splines of the coupler. The steel flywheel (basically the 14" clutch type) runs true and supports the coupler mounting plate. My suggestion is to use the steel flywheel with the Merc Bravo coupler. Match the balance with your flexplate and everything will work with no headaches.
The Mercruiser setup with the bellhousing, flywheel, coupler, etc is designed to make installation easy and trouble free.
The bravo drive does not like running above 6000 rpm's so the light flywheel may not be an advantage for all the trouble.
Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.:)

RACER52
02-20-2004, 09:59 AM
thank you,
I was concerned about the spline engagement, but was not thinking about
it staying true.
And probably would be more prone to wear with the ext. box and torsion
shaft.
Racer