PDA

View Full Version : mini schiada pics, riverdave!!!!

spectras only
02-19-2004, 09:40 PM
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/mini%20schiada3.jpghttp://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/mini%20schiada5.jpghttp://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/mini%20schiada2.jpghttp://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/mini%20schiada.jpghttp://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/mini%20schiada4.jpg here you go Dave . Get some pics of your little shiada;)

mbrown2
02-20-2004, 10:03 AM
Spectra,
Where did you find those pics? That cat looks pretty cool.

spectras only
02-20-2004, 11:34 AM
You know guys , I'm a pack rat, having boating magazines from the 70's .Sent some to SpectraBrent too . These pics and article[sorry I'didn't scan those for you :p ]were in "SEA" magazine .I'll read the article , and if there's something worthy in it I'll scan it;) BTW I would love to have that mini cat myself:cool:

Sleek-Jet
02-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by spectras only
BTW I would love to have that mini cat myself:cool:
Ditto. Who made those boats??

spectras only
02-20-2004, 12:27 PM
I think the cats were eliminators.I have to read the article tonight to confirm :)

HavasuDreamin'
02-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Eliminator did make a 12' "Daytona" tunnel for a brief time, however, I do not believe any of those above are from Eliminator. I believe the one on the far right is from a company called Kober Kat, or Cobra Cat (forgot how they spelled it).
IMHO, the bad to the bone mini-tunnels are the old "Sport-C" tunnel boats (similar style to the small picture blue and white one above). Basically looks like a miniature version of an old champ boat (before the canopies). Cable steering, center seat, and all. You can still find them here and there mostly over at Scream and Fly.
HD :cool:

SPECTRABRENT
02-20-2004, 12:43 PM
Atti,
Did Sea Magazine ever do a articles on Spectra?
Brent

spectras only
02-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Brent , I don't think so .At least I don't remember .;) Sea magazine usually caters to northwest style [boats with lids.:D] boating. BTW can any of you guys tell me, what colour did the 32 Genesis had at the LA boatshow ?

Jordy
02-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by HavasuDreamin'
Eliminator did make a 12' "Daytona" tunnel for a brief time, however, I do not believe any of those above are from Eliminator.
There was one for sale in parker, I don't know if it was even 12' long, but was a Daytona that was the mini me to 78 Eliminators old Daytona. It was kind of off the beaten path on the road off 95 before you get to Clearman's.

Tom Brown
02-22-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
... the Hydraulic steering, and In control throttle/shifter...
ROTFL! :D :D :D
Seriously Dave, that's totally cool... in a ridiculous sort of way. :cool:

spectras only
02-22-2004, 08:22 PM
follow up on the minis.The two cats are Mercubs by cougar marine.The blue/white hydro driven by Chip Hanauer is a Koberkat.The Koberkat is the fastest of the lot,capable of 45 mph.http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/miniboats%20spec.jpg The date is 1985 FYI.

spectras only
02-22-2004, 08:47 PM
One more pic of the schiada http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/minischiada1.jpg

P P R
02-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Spectras only, I have a ten foot Schiada. Would you mind E-mailling a copy of that article. portlandpokerrun@earthlink.net THANKS Tim

spectras only
02-23-2004, 11:45 AM
As for the KoberKat being the fastest at 45mph... Well we'll have to see about that. ;) :D Dave, reading the whole article ,your Schiada is the the most forgiving, when coming to drive it hard. Chip Hanauer [unlimited hydroplane fame] said the KoberKat can be a handful and requires lots of attention .He mentioned he would have no problem handing the schiada to a 10 year old;) :D with some boating experience. The Mercubs were not too hot as performance according to the test team. Apperently they had a sanctioned class for these miniboats with limited power back then. Dave ,you put too much power on the transom and will do wheelies all day:eek!: .You'll need a cavitation plate on that sucker to keep it level.

Tom Brown
02-23-2004, 11:48 AM
10 year old? Sure, but what if that 10 year old had just finished a case of silver bullets?

spectras only
02-23-2004, 11:50 AM
PPR & RiverDave, since you have such interest in these baby toys[ no they're not toys, just half scale gems:cool: ] I'll have the whole article scan it for you guys, and e-mail it later .I have lots of projects going on so bear with me with time:p :D

spectras only
02-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Tom , Chip made that statement [1985] before he douched [sp]himself at 190mph:eek: :D .Also kids were more sensible not to drink while driving at age 10 :D :D

P P R
02-23-2004, 12:53 PM
mine has tabs, thinking about adding a blue bottle. busy adding lots of graphic to the motor cover and gauges.

spectras only
02-23-2004, 01:18 PM
Dave you might have some liability issues going bigger than 40HP . Are you going to insure your boat for replacement value or all risk? . Why don't you stick a tuned 9.9 fishing motor ;) on juice ,then you'll never have to register your boat :D

mbrown2
02-23-2004, 01:45 PM
PPR,
Post some pics of your mini Schiada?

spectras only
02-23-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave [/i]
[B]Well to be perfectly honest SpectrasOnly, I don't really have any intentions of insuring the 10'er..
RD [/QUOTE] Ah oh, remember the flak you got when posting your pics with the silver in your hand;) :D .You'll be in troubled water Dave;)

STV_Keith
02-23-2004, 02:31 PM
RD, look into some ride-guide or rotary single cable steering (not cable-pulley, sheathed cable). Way more practical and cost effective on that thing.

Tom Brown
02-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Come on, Keith. I was waiting to hear about his trials as he tries to fit a hydraulic ram to the Tohatsu. :D :D :D
By the way, I'd go with the Teleflex NFB single cable system, myself. :)
... and a high dollar custom Impy leather wrapped wheel because... well... come on. :D

Tom Brown
02-23-2004, 02:59 PM
As far as making it Fit Mr. Brown.. I don't think that'll be an issue. ;)
It's nothing a few more pounds of billet won't solve, eh?
Dave, check out the ideas Keith and I have given you. Seriously. Hydraulic steering is silly on the 10' hull and won't make it any more pimp.
Greg Moss could hook you up with an NFB system for a couple of hundred bucks. That SeaStar Pro will cost you $650 if you get a smoking deal.
...and a high dollar leather wrapped 10 inch Le Carra steering wheel. ;)
****ing A! http://www.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif :cool:

spectras only
02-23-2004, 03:00 PM
Dave , a Koenig OB with tuned pipes would look absolutely bitchen with dual cable setup;) on your boat

Tom Brown
02-23-2004, 03:09 PM
How about a pic, SO? :cool:
By the way, Dave... I'm sure you know that I think your project is cool. I think I have some insight into why you want to pimp out your little boat. I'm pimping out my old CVX-16 with some cool shit and a Merc 2.5 EFI. :D
I would encourage you to make your choices carefully, that's all. If that boat weighed less than 250 to begin with, I wouldn't be too cavalier about 5 pounds here or 5 pounds there. If you jack it up to 350 with fuel, stereo, billet stuff, new gel (don't forget... that adds weight too...), it won't be as fun to drive. Your ass is getting bigger by the minute too. Small boats are a blast to drive, launching off wakes and generally being an asshole.
Just my opinion, Dave... I could be wrong. :D

spectras only
02-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Tom , my buddy used to race a Koenig powered boat in the old country [it was quite common there],but since it's rare as hen's teeth over here , I'll post a substitute for Dave:p http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Merc34.jpg

Tom Brown
02-23-2004, 03:20 PM
WTF? That looks like a Merc L6 bolted to... some sort of mid... with a speedmaster.
:confused:
What's with the horizontal tube at the back of the tower?
I've got the L6-150 powerhead covered, Dave. :cool: :cool:

spectras only
02-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Those merc 6's with speedmasters from the 50's were cool:cool: BTW those tubes were longer and smaller in dia on the Koenigs.

STV_Keith
02-23-2004, 04:14 PM
Hey Dave, the Sea Star pro is nice. My dad had that on his Checkmate with a Johnson V-8 outboard. Bit overkill if you asked me. One thing about those too...they are non-centering helms. I never liked that.
Hey Brown, so you like the L6 Merc motors huh? Can you identify these? :D
http://www.speedcraving.com/stv/misc/126-2655_img.jpg

Tom Brown
02-23-2004, 04:32 PM
No, I can't.
Are those Merc castings? I recognize the old distributor mechanicals but that's about it.
By the way, I love that toolbox. I'm thinking of popping for that big stainless box that CostCo sells but it's no where near as nice as the box in your picture.

STV_Keith
02-23-2004, 04:34 PM
I'll let you mull it over for a bit...can't just give it away to ya. :D
I will say that they are all the same. Gotta have spares you know!

Tom Brown
02-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Keith,
Do you guys need/want any L6 parts? I'm parting out a 1978 L6 - 150 and you're welcome to anything but the gear case (which I think has been sold).
There is a new set of plug wires there, good switch boxes, etc., etc.
The more I think about it... I'll have the whole engine (minus gear case... unless that deal craps out) delivered to your door... if you like.

P P R
02-23-2004, 04:55 PM
yes, mine is off white and orange,power trim ect. As soon as i get it back from paint i'll try to post a pic. If i can that could be the hard part.

STV_Keith
02-23-2004, 04:56 PM
Dave, non-centering means that when you get to full lock one way or the other, the wheel will continue to turn, so it never stops. Problem is if you "overturn it" half a turn, now the wheel is upside down when it comes back to center of steering.

STV_Keith
02-23-2004, 05:56 PM
Tom, no more guesses?

Tom Brown
02-23-2004, 09:40 PM
I would guess J block but the truth is I just don't know.

Rexone
02-23-2004, 11:58 PM
All true hydraulic steering systems are non centering, in other words the have no true and permanent center point the wheel returns to consistantly for straight ahead. This is true because they are 100% fluid controlled without a mechanical connection. It is why our wired trim switches will not work on hydraulic steering and the same reason we came out the the RCT systems (Rex cordless trim).
Now so called "add-on" hydraulic controlled by a cable to a shuttle valve don't qualify as full hydraulic and the above does not apply to them.

STV_Keith
02-24-2004, 08:06 AM
Tom, ever heard of a T2x? Kinda in the same lineup as the 150.
It went 1500, 1500XS, Twister, Twister 1, Twister 2 then Twister 2x. The T2x was the last and strongest of the factory race L6's. The next motor built was the 1750XS (T3), the first V-6 race motor.
The T2x is a 99cu in L6, reportedly 200 flywheel HP. The T2x also shared the T3 midsection and speedmaster. Basically looks like a 12" version of a 2.4 Offshore mid. Early T2x's shared the C6 mid with the older T2's.
Not too bad for 1970's technology huh?

Tom Brown
02-24-2004, 08:44 AM
Sure, I've heard of the t2x. Norris Wallace was a big fan (I assume still is) and shared some pictures and information about them. That was a long time ago and I've since forgotten where I heard about that stuff... :D :D :D
I didn't hear 200 hp at the flywheel, though. I heard 180.
Have you ever put one on a powerhead dyno? It would be cool to see how one makes out. The L6 is a cool configuration and silky smooth when balanced out. :)

STV_Keith
02-24-2004, 09:15 AM
Norris...you mean Raceman? Geez...that guy has all the cool shit, won't part with any of it, and just hordes it all so no one else can have any.
I guess if it's collectors shit, fine, but for the guys looking to build the classic race boats again (like my dad, Olegator - Jim Hunt, etc) it makes it tough.

Tom Brown
02-24-2004, 09:20 AM
Yes, Raceman. He's a pack rat but if you're buddies with him he might help you out.

STV_Keith
02-24-2004, 12:12 PM
Yeah, you can feel it. In your boat it wouldn't be an issue, but with the big V-8, steering torque would actually overpower the system and cause you to constantly have to turn left a little when you were on it.

h2ospdskir
02-24-2004, 10:41 PM
hey dave the boat looks great . by the way there is still two more in better shape want pics.

spectras only
02-26-2004, 10:55 AM
]Originally posted by RiverDave [/i]
[B]Actually, as much as I love the 20/21 Schiada's, my next big boat will more then likely be a 24' Spectra. I like the idea of being able to run on the big weekends at 80+ , and have a decent cuddy below [even in the XS model] to boot
:cool:

flat broke
02-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Actually, as much as I love the 20/21 Schiada's, my next big boat will more then likely be a 24' Spectra. I like the idea of being able to run on the big weekends at 80+
RD
That would explain why you "offed" the 20' project. No time to waste on a small boat eh? :D
Chris

h2ospdskir
02-26-2004, 10:14 PM
hey dave your right wrong thread . you bought that one from me

flat broke
02-27-2004, 10:31 AM
I "offed" it becuase I was broke and needed money badly.. LOL
The ****er of it is, I regret selling it knowing that I'd have a 1/2 rigged Spectra 20 today.. :(
RD
I's justa givin yas a little ribbin Dave. Things happen for reasons, and at the rate things were goin, the 20 would have be out at Barneys when he went away and the whole project would have stalled. The way it went down, you got your $$ out of the deal and were able to start the mini me project. On the bright side, if you just want a moderately fast 24, you'll be big coin ahead of what you had planned for that 20.
Chris

SPECTRABRENT
02-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Hey Dave,
I like your choice on the Spectra 24, but 80? My Spectra 24 should be running pretty soon with a 540 (700 HP), so we will see what the top speed will be.
I am still trying to figure out why you sold your Spectra 20 for the little Schiada. Dont you build the little boat after the big one is done?
There is a little Schiada @ JOes Tooling get some work done, I think it getting the seem & holes filled.
Good Luck,
Brent :D

SPECTRABRENT
02-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Dave,
I do know of the Spectra 24 Parnelli Jones owned, it belongs to a friend of mine (Mark Greening). I have ridden in the boat many times with a 565 (700 HP) and it runs hard, but not 80. I know that Parnelli Jones had a big twin turbo setup when he owned the boat and to get up to 80 and beyond it would take at least double or more of what Mark's current motor is putting out.
If you want to go real fast, I say would get rid of the v-drive and install a I/O.
If mine runs decent with the 540, then I may install a intercooled 14/71.
Brent