PDA

View Full Version : wrangler

LAVEYSABRE575
02-20-2004, 08:25 AM
im considering buying a jeep wrangler 4*4 5spd v6 to leave out at the lake, does anybody have any experience with these vehicles as far has pulling a 27 foot cat out of the water. I know there not designed for towing im only towing about a block from the launch pad any info would be helpfull..derek

twistedpair
02-20-2004, 08:27 AM
Drop it in low range, shouldn't have any problems at all.

Mandelon
02-20-2004, 08:48 AM
I have a 4cyl 5 speed Wrangler and it pulls hard in low range. Go slow and don't expect it to stop quickly and you should be fine. It is gutless on the freeway, but for a short distance I say no problemo.

Outnumbered
02-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by LAVEYSABRE575
im considering buying a jeep wrangler 4*4 5spd v6 to leave out at the lake, does anybody have any experience with these vehicles as far has pulling a 27 foot cat out of the water. I know there not designed for towing im only towing about a block from the launch pad any info would be helpfull..derek
I use my 97 4.0 6-cyl (they are in-line not v-6) 5spd to move the boat (21') around here on our property. I have pulled it up some pretty steep hills. Low range would be a must for the ramp, if not you will fry your clutch. The jeep will have no problem on the ramp if you have good tires. I'm talking BFG ATs or MTs or something like that. Street tread tires may give you some troubles on slick ramps. Keep in mind that the jeep weighs about 4,000 lbs and is probably lighter than your boat.
The 97's+ have soft coil spring suspension which would make a very scary tow even for a short distance. The suspension would bottom out in the rear and make the front end light. If you do decide to do this get some Rancho 9000s adjustable shocks on whatever you get. Crank them up to 9 for the tow and then back to a softer setting for jeepin.
Also, get a front receiver bumper (see my jeep), makes puting the boat in tight spots a breeze.
OL
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9732-10-2004_002-med.jpg

HOSS
02-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Thats a whole lotta boat on a tandem for such a short wheel base. If you only go straight no prob. If you gotta back in,,,,,you`ll flip! I say buy a used truck.

spectras only
02-20-2004, 01:20 PM
You're stretching it to pull a 27 footer:eek: .I would worry about liability if anything would happen in that short [ one block] distance. I used to pull my 20 spectra with a CJ 7 [longer wheelbase] with a V-8 . I'm sure you can pull the boat out in low gear ,just would worry about liability with a vehicle that rated for towing max 2000 lbs:eek!:

HOSS
02-20-2004, 01:59 PM
I had a `97 red Sport and now a `99 Sahara. The problem I find is backing in on a turn with a tandem. Mine is right on the edge of flipping. Pulls down I-10 at 65-70 but backing in is the problem. Thats just too much boat for a Wrangler. Remeber that there is a reason they make dually trucks. Its not just to look good but for towing.

LAVEYSABRE575
02-20-2004, 04:32 PM
THANKS for the info.. I understand the towing issues i use my f350 supercrew for towing. I just thought it would be nice to have the wrangler there for launch ramp duty and some desert fun...derek

mbrown2
02-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Depends on the launch ramp....the power is not the problem; its the short wheel base...Buddy of ours has a jeep at the river and it cannot pull his Hallett 255 out....but our ramp is steep and slippery...too much weight on the back and it lifts the front tires off the ground...Not sure how it would do at the Springs.

BoatPI
02-20-2004, 06:47 PM
I have a 99' Wrangler automatic at Havasu. It is scary unless in 4x4 backing down a ramp. That is alot of boat, so when water is low, it would be dicy.
I strongly suggest the automatic. And you will ned a special hitch as Wranglers are tow rated at 2,000 pounds max. I would not do it. Too large a boat. And in Havasu, anything but a hardtop will fry in Summer or chill you in Winter. Look of one with the Dana axle as they have a 3.73 or 4.10 gear set.

Outnumbered
02-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by BoatPI
I have a 99' Wrangler automatic at Havasu. It is scary unless in 4x4 backing down a ramp. That is alot of boat, so when water is low, it would be dicy.
I strongly suggest the automatic. And you will ned a special hitch as Wranglers are tow rated at 2,000 pounds max. I would not do it. Too large a boat. And in Havasu, anything but a hardtop will fry in Summer or chill you in Winter. Look of one with the Dana axle as they have a 3.73 or 4.10 gear set.
I run my soft top all winter, its no problem. It snows here and is much colder than Havasu.
As far as the Danas go, they also come in 3.55s. I've got a Dana 44 with 3.55s and a trac lok, all stock. Even with the 32's the ratio is no big deal when in 4-lo. Its got so much torque with the I-6 that I have never had a problem pulling my boat around. I would NEVER drive it a mile on public roads though. I have a very soft coil suspension that is not made for towing.
OL

Dr. Eagle
02-20-2004, 09:39 PM
I have a 2000 Wrangler Sahara with the 4.0L and an Automatic. I did find a 3500 Lb rated hitch for it at a local trailer supply shop. I have a 3" lift kit with Rancho 9000 shocks.
I hooked up the Ultra to it thinking I could tow it to the lake and unhooked it right away. I suppose with air shocks or something I could have made it work, but it was too much tongue weight for the stupid thing.
Also the brakes on the wranglers suck. I was at the lake with the lake lice one day. Coming home from the lake a signal turned red in front of me. Since the back brakes are drum and hadn't dried out completely, when I pounded the brake pedal, the fronts locked and the back brakes kept on rolling. I rolled right through the intersection, fortunately I was making enough noise everyone stayed put till I stopped.
Now I love that jeep, but I do know its limitations, and the dual jet ski trailer is about all I am towing with it. And that is only for about 1.5 miles to the ramp from my driveway.

Outnumbered
02-20-2004, 09:41 PM
I was thinking, an old Blazer or Bronco would be perfect. Look for a 73-91 K-5 or a 78-90 something Fullsize bronco. They have the removable top, are heavy, cheap, and plenty of power to get to the ramp. I used to have a 74 k-5 and it was a blast. Full removable top up to 1975.
OL

CrazyHippy
02-21-2004, 02:45 AM
The tongue weight will KILL it. My ol YJ used to squat fairly hard if you had 2 people in the back seat....
BJH

dc96819
02-21-2004, 03:08 AM
Hope you wont have to tow to far:)