PDA

View Full Version : Will it work?

Kim Hanson
02-20-2004, 06:33 PM
I'am looking at a Hemi, would it bolt up to everything in mine ? It's a 440 right now, please say yes:D ........( . )( . )......
It's only a 354, would it have more HP stock than a 440? I just like the size of that thing, looks wicked! I don't have pictures either:D

wsuwrhr
02-20-2004, 06:55 PM
I don't know about the real early hemis, but a 392 will bolt to a RB bellhousing.
I dont know about a 54
IMHO too much weight, not enough power. Parts will be hard to come by.
You could squeeze 700hp from a 440 with a little effort.
Brian

Moneypitt
02-20-2004, 09:27 PM
Be aware that not all hemis were CHRYSLERS. Desoto, and Dodge also had hemis, but they are not the hot ticket for performance, and the parts are NOT interchangeable. Make sure it is a chrysler if you must change over. I also agree the 54 is a heavy low perf engine, you got more with the 440 unless you plan on spending a fortune on the hemi parts........AND yeah, they really LOOK cool, especially with injection!!!(but most anything looks cool with injection)......................................Mo neypitt

Kurtis500
02-20-2004, 09:35 PM
No. 354 wont fit anything B/RB. Stick with the 440. The hemi is nice but marine parts are hard and expensive to find. Rebuilding it is WAY expensive.. I KNOW!! If you go blown with some boost you will see the benefit.

wsuwrhr
02-20-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Kurtis500
No. 354 wont fit anything B/RB. Stick with the 440. The hemi is nice but marine parts are hard and expensive to find. Rebuilding it is WAY expensive.. I KNOW!! If you go blown with some boost you will see the benefit.
I figured the 54 is in a class of its own. If you choose an early hemi route, you will want a 92.
Definitley ain't cheap. Parts haven't been made in 50 years. Diehards run these powerplants.
Hemis have always loved boost. Aspirated motors just never seem to run as well.
Brian

Rexone
02-20-2004, 11:31 PM
If you gotta have a Chrysler, keep the 440. :D

wsuwrhr
02-20-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
If you gotta have a Chrysler, keep the 440.
Hey now,
gotta have a chrysler?
how rude haha
most boats need motors to move dont they?
Brian

Blown 472
02-21-2004, 01:51 AM
What year 354? and what did it come out of, if it came out of a dump truck or something like that and you have the exhaust manifolds they are ****ing gold, the 354 non truck or industrial had the high port heads which the hot heads are modeled after, sell that mutha ****a and keep the rb, throw some eddies on it or some bulldogs from huges and a roller from howards and hold on to your ass.

Kurtis500
02-21-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
I figured the 54 is in a class of its own. If you choose an early hemi route, you will want a 92.
Definitley ain't cheap. Parts haven't been made in 50 years. Diehards run these powerplants.
Hemis have always loved boost. Aspirated motors just never seem to runs as well.
Brian
Much of the 354 parts are interchangeable with 392. Heads will fit the different blocks but the manifolds wont. 392 manifold on 354 needs a spacer.
Just to give you an idea of the cost, I am going to freshen up mine before the next race and main bearings are $240, and rod bearing $210. Now compare that to Chevy or B/RB. Easier to turn the 392 crank and block for Chevy bearing or late model engine stuff if you replace them often.

Kim Hanson
02-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Hey now,
gotta have a chrysler?
how rude haha
most boats need motors to move dont they?
Brian
Thats funny..........( . )( . )...I have the rude that will kick this one's ass...thanks for the info!
I can get a 650 HP Dodge for $ 4,000.00...brand new! I will go that way:cool:

Hud
02-22-2004, 09:54 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/11907.jpg Will It?:D

Morg
02-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Get R Done
Works for Morg

Fiat48
02-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Hemis have always loved boost. Aspirated motors just never seem to run as well.
Brian
I never could understand why, but the unblown stuff just didn't work well. Also many guys tried to run an Arias unblown and they didn't work well either. Still a msystery.

Kurtis500
02-22-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Fiat48
I never could understand why, but the unblown stuff just didn't work well. Also many guys tried to run an Arias unblown and they didn't work well either. Still a msystery.
Interesting point. I've noticed that too. But have you noticed that all the injected nitro dragsters run late model hemis. Fastest unblown rails are still hemi. Maybe it has to do with fuel volume in the cyclinder that the hemi has an advantage.?????:confused:

wsuwrhr
02-22-2004, 04:12 PM
The story I have always gotten is, the secret to power for an aspirated hemi is the compression ratio. You have to "get it right" for it to work.
That is the best I can do, of course no one is going to tell me WHAT the comp ratio should be.
Brian