PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have XM in their boat?

FRANK THE TANK
02-20-2004, 08:31 PM
I looked at the XM system today at a stereo shop and they said that they don't work well in boats because they are hard to ground. Does anyone have experience with that?

ROZ
02-20-2004, 08:36 PM
On the contrary, it works very well. Your sales person has no idea what's up...

Havasu Hangin'
02-20-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
Your sales person has no idea what's up...
I can't believe a sales guy wouldn't know what he's talking about...

FRANK THE TANK
02-20-2004, 08:43 PM
Would you go with the XM or the other deal they were showing me was the Serious (I think that's what it's called)? I would like something I can put in my Tahoe and in my boat. What would you suggest ROZ?
Thanks for the 411....

ROZ
02-20-2004, 11:36 PM
You will get various opinions on which satellite radio provider is better than the other. My suggestion is to view all the programming that each provides, and choose the provider that is most appealing to you. Remember that they both receive a digital signal which will not fade in and out. Once you have the signal, you have it... I have only heard a few cases of drop out from using both systems...
Once you choose the provider, then buy the unit that provides you the most features for the money. It's just a tuner....
Portable units:
Kenwood and JVC run Sirrus. The Kenwood has more presets.
Delphi Skybox runs XM. One of the easiest of all sat. units to operate. The display is viewable pretty good in sunlight... I think it's because the offer a boombox adaptor...
Audiovox runs both systems, but I think their portable unit is only Sirrus.. I could be mistaken though...

ROZ
02-20-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
I can't believe a sales guy wouldn't know what he's talking about...
I know what you mean... I don't recommend them for stock tips either...

FRANK THE TANK
02-21-2004, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by ROZ
You will get various opinions on which satellite radio provider is better than the other. My suggestion is to view all the programming that each provides, and choose the provider that is most appealing to you. Remember that they both receive a digital signal which will not fade in and out. Once you have the signal, you have it... I have only heard a few cases of drop out from using both systems...
Once you choose the provider, then buy the unit that provides you the most features for the money. It's just a tuner....
Portable units:
Kenwood and JVC run Sirrus. The Kenwood has more presets.
Delphi Skybox runs XM. One of the easiest of all sat. units to operate. The display is viewable pretty good in sunlight... I think it's because the offer a boombox adaptor...
Audiovox runs both systems, but I think their portable unit is only Sirrus.. I could be mistaken though...
Thanks for the help ROZ. I'll keep you in mind when I look at the upgrade.................

FRANK THE TANK
02-22-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
I know what you mean... I don't recommend them for stock tips either...
Roz, where is your shop at? I might need you opinion on some speakers, a CD changer, amp and so on. It all depends on how much my service cost when I get it back from Shockwave. Send me a PM and we'll work something out for later. I would like to get a quote from you so I know what I'm working with. By the way, I'm in the LA area.
Thanks man.

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
02-25-2004, 03:39 PM
go XM so you can listen to Nascar on sunday. Deluxe Redneck boating.