PDA

View Full Version : lowering and refurbing a trailer

Jake W
02-21-2004, 03:53 PM
I am going to lower my tandom trailer abbout 2 inches.What do you guys think just block it or should I cut and re weld the drop axles?
Also where was it that people were getting the SS fenders.
Also Hothallet what was the place ypou got the lights for youres at?
Thanks Jake:)

HBjet
02-21-2004, 05:37 PM
I believe HotHallett got those lights from Extreme Trailers.
Let me know what you end up doing to your trailer. I'm thinking about lowering my trailer some too, and moving the axles back a little as well. I think, at one time, my trailer was originally a V-drive trailer. There isn't a cut out in the back for a V-drive, but the way the boat sits, and where the axle location is, it has me thinking that's what it was intended for. It isn't the original trailer for the boat that's for sure.
HBjet

Jetmugg
02-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Jake:
If it's the trailer with the Gullwing on it, I always thought that it sit pretty low as it was. Going lower might cause problems with the back edge of the trailer dragging on some boat ramps, driveways, etc. How about putting it on airbags so that it can change heights? Then you could have the cool "down low" look, but raise it up when needed?
Blocks would be the most straigtforward way. Cutting and rewelding the drop axles would be tough to keep the alignment of the stubs exactly straight.
Northern Hydraulics has replacement axles cheap (about $60 apiece I believe) that will bolt right on and have more drop than the axles on that trailer (I think the Northern axles have 4" drop, I used them on my original Marlin Jet Boat). They are very nice and definitely worth checking out.
The other thing you could do is cut and re-weld the spring mounting points on the trailer. I think you might be able to gain some room there without trying to re-fab the axles themselves.
I don't know which lights you are thinking of, but LED lights are definitely the way to go. Much brighter, better looking, and will last much much longer than incandescent bulbs.
I can't wait to go for a ride in the re-habbed GW.
SteveM.

moneysucker
02-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Who cares about dragging the trailer as long as you don't drag the pump. I will be airbagging mine and my truck as well just because of the cool factor. I already have clear lights all around. Iwas thinking of the blocks because they are easy and cheap for like $40 you are dropped. Pep Boys sells the blocks. Blocks is the easiest least hassle way to go and I have never heard of any problems. Good luck.
Cy

Jake W
02-21-2004, 10:46 PM
Steve I want the trailer pretty low so that the tires are about 1 1/2 inches from the fender it should not be too bad as long as I keep an eye out.I want a ride in the old GW too.
Moneysucker I am no stranger to putting bags on trucks but do not want to bag my trailer .
The lights I would really like to use would be the Hitech lights you can clear over but think they will not work after being submerged.
Jake:D

moneysucker
02-22-2004, 12:33 AM
If you are getting new fenders you could also mount them lower too. if fender clearance is all you are going for.
Cy

Bow Tie Omega
02-22-2004, 05:02 AM
while lowering it would be cool, be careful about hanging up your trailer on launch ramp transitions. If you have the dough, I think airbags would be the way to go just so you could jack it up when you have a hang up. I have seen some trailers get pretty messed up from bottoming out or hanging up on transitions. It would look cool though, good luck

fat rat
02-22-2004, 05:23 AM
I've been contiplating this project myself............my boat sit's to high and sometimes difficult to get on and off due to water level and shallow ramps.
I would love to bag it, who is the best source for this setup? Does anyone have any pic's of a completed bag job? Do you have an on board compressor or external air source?
Thanx, Rat

wsuwrhr
02-22-2004, 07:22 AM
Just a thought,
You did check to see if the axles are "on top" of the leaf springs right?
I have seen some boat trailers with the axles "under" the leaf springs.
Easy way to lower the trailer a couple of inches by having the axles on top of the springs.
You can also have the spring re-arched to the desired height.
Brian

Havasu Hangin'
02-22-2004, 08:55 AM
I think Cyclone bagged his trailer a couple years ago...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19797

Drunk tank
02-22-2004, 10:36 AM
I need to lift my trailer...bout 2-3 inches. Towing with a lifted jeep definatly isnt the thing to do :eek:

screamdreambrad
02-22-2004, 07:51 PM
or you can do like i just did, build a new one!:) :) now mine is six inches lower than it was! now i can jet the carbs without having to get in the boat! ah; i love it brad

Jake W
02-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Brian I know a thing or two about lowering stuff.And Yes the axles are on top of the leafs;)

wsuwrhr
02-22-2004, 10:27 PM
I didn't mean it as a slam. Sometimes I look over the silliest details.
Brian
Originally posted by Jake W
Brian I know a thing or two about lowering stuff.And Yes the axles are on top of the leafs;)

Jake W
02-23-2004, 05:18 AM
Hey Brian I did not take it as a slam just some good advise alot of people who have never messed with stuff like that would not know the diffrence.Can you make me a billet trailer?:eek:
Jake
:D

ROZ
02-23-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
I think Cyclone bagged his trailer a couple years ago...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19797
He posted pictures of it, but I guess they disappeared when HB format changed.... The thing looked great! PM him...

wsuwrhr
02-23-2004, 08:22 PM
Jake, seriously, I can make you ANYTHING you want to pay for....
Brian
Can you make me a billet trailer?:eek:
Jake
:D

screamdreambrad
02-23-2004, 09:43 PM
jake if you want a new trl my dad would be happy to build what ever you want. he's in climax springs,mo. he did a bitchin job on my new one. took him three and a half weeks, and he didn't even work on it for a week or so, cause it was so damn cold at his place. brad

HotHallet
02-24-2004, 11:49 AM
Got my lights at Radiantz Inc. in Orange, Ca. PM me and I will get you a number for them.

TRG
02-24-2004, 11:40 PM
jake W...i am going to do something like this, this season...but if you are running 14'' rims, just put 15'' mods with some low profile tires (not 40'z) i think that will lower it down a bit and give you more of a custom look as well! at least that is where my trailer issues stand!:D oh and i need axels!

Jake W
02-25-2004, 05:39 AM
Hothallet thanks for the info I will PM you for the number.
Todd I know what you are saying but that will still leave a gap betwine the tire and the fender this is what I want to fix.The trailer does have some 14 inch rims and tires they are not too big but they are not low profile either.
If you look at some of the vdrive guys trailers the tires all most touch the fenders that is what I am after.I wil probely just block it down some and call it good.
Brad does your dad do this from his home or is it a buis?
Jake :)

VD CRUISER
02-25-2004, 07:13 AM
A place in California called "Fenders-N-More" makes stainless fenders. Their Ph.# is 818-834-2525 .

cyclone
02-25-2004, 09:06 AM
Todd I know what you are saying but that will still leave a gap betwine the tire and the fender this is what I want to fix.The trailer does have some 14 inch rims and tires they are not too big but they are not low profile either.
If you look at some of the vdrive guys trailers the tires all most touch the fenders that is what I am after.I wil probely just block it down some and call it good.
you can easily redrill the holes in the fenders, cut the openings in teh trailer steps wider, and lower them down. mine sit 1/2 inch over the tires and my trailer is hammered!

fourspeednup
02-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by cyclone
you can easily redrill the holes in the fenders, cut the openings in teh trailer steps wider, and lower them down. mine sit 1/2 inch over the tires and my trailer is hammered!
Do you have any pics of that slammed trailer? Sounds like a cool project:cool:

fat rat
02-25-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by cyclone
I'd love to see some pic's....................and hear about the pro's/con's you may have with.
Thanx, rat

TRG
02-25-2004, 05:09 PM
now your thinking mike!...but mine are welded:(

screamdreambrad
02-26-2004, 01:12 AM
he builds docks,trls,whatever you need. his shop is up the road a couple blocks from his house. i forget the mile mark on the lake. pm me if you want his number. he's retired now, but fabricates for spending money. and sponsoring his favorite dragboat racer :D :D brad

cyclone
02-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by fat rat
I'd love to see some pic's....................and hear about the pro's/con's you may have with.
Thanx, rat
ill have to dig up some pics. i'll find them over the weekend.
airbags-
pros: easy to launch and retrieve your boat, rides real good, looks cool.
cons: not cheap to build, another thing to break/worry about when towing