PDA

View Full Version : new to v-drives

76cole
02-22-2004, 07:03 PM
i bought a 76 cole tr1 that had a hemi in it that the guy kept. and i would like to put in a bbc that i have this is my first v-drive. i have had jets and ob's before i am looking for some engine plates and a water pump and front cover for it does anyone have any parts they would like to sale? also can anyone post pictures of their engines so i can see how they get set up? thanks
76cole:cool:

Morg
02-22-2004, 07:20 PM
76cole,
Welcome to the boards.
My brother runs a cole tr1. He is on the boards as "Coleman II" Send Craig a pm, lives just down the street from you in Pittsburg.
If you are looking for a shop, You need to call Dave or Paul @ GT boats in Cordelia 707-864-1924. They do excellent work.
John

Sangster
02-22-2004, 07:21 PM
YUP..... :cool: :cool:

DetroitJim
02-22-2004, 07:30 PM
Cole, you are in for a good time, your TR1 will handle and accelerate much sharper than a jet or outboard. You'll get all the help you need right here. Let us know what gears are in the v-drive (count turns of the input & output) and what prop you have.
You need to get a few things:
1. You need a v-drive oil pan with a pickup that runs to the front of the engine (rear of boat). Milodon and Dooley are nice, MLJ marine makes one that works fine for less.
2. Get a front cover for a Glenwood water pump, do not run a Neovane. The Glenwood pumps a ton of water and you may need to dump some overboard before it even gets to the motor. Do not run any restriction on the outlet or PSI will be too high. You will need a large inlet, 5/8 hose. I ran -8 and it overheated.
3. You probably already have motor rails, if so get a plate setup. This will require a separate bellhousing. To save a little cash, just get a Glenwood or whomever cast bellhousing with mounting feet and set the feet on your rails. The front mount is simple enough to make from 2 1/4 inch aluminum plates
4. If you don't have a driveline, get a local truck shop to make you one. It's just a standard 1350 Spicer power takeoff style driveline cut to length. Rex or CP has the adapters. Or if you want to get fancy buy a Lenco splined shaft.
DJ

RaysonKid
02-22-2004, 08:00 PM
There are some Chevy parts on e-bay right now.
Just do a search for V-drive.

smalls
02-23-2004, 07:06 AM
JetBoatGuru may have a complete motor for sale. Oilpan to headers the whole works...

76cole
02-23-2004, 07:28 AM
i have the engine just need the parts to convert from jet to
v-drive. thanks

Sangster
02-23-2004, 07:33 AM
76 Cole.....GT Boats will have everything you need and will probally be able to get rid of your jetboat stuff...:cool: :cool: :cool:

Hud
02-23-2004, 07:37 AM
There are some used v drive pans for sale ohttp://www.dragboats.com in the parts section!

INEEDAV
02-23-2004, 07:40 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2461114846&category=50442
Here are engine mounts.

Hud
02-23-2004, 07:58 AM
76 cole, that Hemi was pretty heavy! You will have to move the BBC forward some I think. Check with Fiat 48, he can give you a measurment for the motor placement.:D thanks small:D

smalls
02-23-2004, 08:02 AM
May have to move it forward????? I had to move the motor in the ZZ forward 3 inchs when the Hemi was removed.
Thats right I said HEMI!
35" from the inside of the transom would be A good starting point....

76cole
02-23-2004, 03:49 PM
thanks for all the help you guys. i have been in touch with fiat48 since the beginning on buying this boat and he has been a big
help i am hoping to post some pictures of the boat if it stops raining this week long enough to be able to take off the cover
and clean it up. this is going to be a hell of alot different than driving a jet i can tell you that one. gt boats are they like c.p. performance? with a part counter. is seems to be great shape for a retired race boat. but for me its going to be a blast. last time i drove a v-drive was about ??years ago and it was a old 63 stevens with a buick wildcat engine in it. all mahogany deck with
a deck out roller engine in it. it was one nice looking boat for its age. thanks again

Morg
02-23-2004, 03:58 PM
Fiat knows his stuff.
The knowledge from the guy's on this site is invaluable.
GT is much smaller than CP. GT does the regular stuff but the custom stuff they do is mostly for v-drives & jets. Not really into the huge dollar large boats. You won't go wrong with GT's work.

Snowboat
02-23-2004, 05:05 PM
Since the engine that I am working on has a Neovane, I'm curious why one shouldn't use a Neovane. I realize that the Magnaflow puts out tons of water, but doesn't a Neovane produce enough to keep a blown big block cool?

AJ
02-23-2004, 07:24 PM
I check with Fiat 48, and he gave me these measurment for the motor placement.
Motor location: Well, I couldn't find my old Hondo notes, just my Canyon marine notes. The canyon was at 35 1/2". I do remember the Canyon being a little farther forward than the Hondo. So 34" or 34 1/2" was probably what it was. is your V drive at 96" and the strut is still stock location at 26", I would do 34 1/2.
Bob.

76cole
02-23-2004, 07:29 PM
aj i have been working with bob on this he sent a whole list of measurements i am hoping to check this weekend to find out more about it. i will post some pictures and measurements this weekend i am sure i will be asking awhole load of questions as i go about putting it back together. thanks for any information i can get.

SANGER-RICH
02-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Paul at GT Boats did a nice job setting my hydro up, total cost with motor plates about $950. Mine had a hemi and I got it with nothing for the motor so we had to start from scratch, Im going BBC also
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1247motor_plates.jpg

76cole
02-23-2004, 07:56 PM
i have a rail system in mine already installed so i just need to get the engine plates and blocks to mount the engine to the rails and determine the proper angle of the driveshaft to v-drive.

bigkatboat
02-23-2004, 08:17 PM
No! You need 26", 36", 98" for a BB chevy UNDER 1000 HP. Over 1000 HP, go to 100".

Fiat48
02-23-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Snowboat
Since the engine that I am working on has a Neovane, I'm curious why one shouldn't use a Neovane. I realize that the Magnaflow puts out tons of water, but doesn't a Neovane produce enough to keep a blown big block cool?
Never had a cooling problem with a neovane. But they are not made anymore. I think the only part you can get is the impellor. If you got a good working neovane, use it.

Kindsvater Flat
02-23-2004, 08:50 PM
my neovane put out enough water to make my motor leak.

Rexone
02-23-2004, 11:20 PM
Neovane should be adequate for a flat IMO if it's a 3/4" Neovane (V755). 1/2" model (V505) could be marginal running a blower. Both these pumps take the same impeller btw, only the fitting size is different. Neovane also made a 1" pump (V105) which should also be adequate as it had more output than the others.
In larger boats such as 21 footers with blown and turbo motors they are usually not adequate for the increased load and long distance running these boats do more of. For that type of boat I would get a Magnaflow.

Snowboat
02-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Rex, I have both size Neovane's and the larger one has the hex drive. Can I change either end of the drive so I can use the larger pump. I'd like it to work well because I just bought a new 4" Neovane extension, from you. If it can be changed, do you sell the parts?

Snowboat
02-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Snowboat
Rex, I have both size Neovane's and the larger one has the hex drive. Can I change either end of the drive so I can use the larger pump. I'd like it to work well because I just bought a new 4" Neovane extension, from you. If it can be changed, do you sell the parts?

Rexone
02-25-2004, 06:44 PM
The only time I remember a Neovane having a hex drive was is someone adatped to an old fuel pump hex cam drive or one of the old Weiand extensions which I think came with hex drives.
The cam drive piece with the tang is no problem to get, we normally stock the Glenwood ones.
The pump side may be a different story since Neovane has been gone for 20+ years. I'm not positive without checking if the Magnaflow shaft is the same size as the Neovane. If it is the coupler should be easily adaptable. If not it could require some modification.
If you need me to explore that possibility just send me a PM as my monitoring of these threads has been weak at best lately.
Thanks,

Snowboat
02-25-2004, 08:51 PM
Thanks, Rex. PM coming your way.

Snowboat
02-26-2004, 09:41 AM
Thanks for your help Rex. I poked around and found that Kuhl Superchargers sells a 3?8" hex adapter that you can put on the cam. You have to make your own shims, if necessary. One can get a fuel pump extension if you need clearance for your application. Beats me how I ended up with the hex setup.
Anyone want to buy a V505, 1/2" Neovane (with a tang drive)?

JEThro
02-27-2004, 06:40 PM
76Cole,I'll check with a guy around the corner from me about some mounts and timing cover. He's got a blown allky hydro and a flattie that he outting together. Stop on by and I'll introduce you to him. Jethro

bigkatboat
02-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Is your boat black, with candy/ pearl designs. Did it have an "early Hemi" in it? Yes to both and I'll bet it was owned by Jim McComb, Mr Rewarder Headers. How about a wing? Lots of good times on the Kings River!

Big Proppa
02-27-2004, 09:41 PM
I have for sale the v-drive timing chain cover plate (slightly used), the glendale water pump (new), the 4" polished billet extension (new), and the -8 AN braided line (new)
come 76 I know you need them.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/16MVC-916F-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/16MVC-892F-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/16MVC-891F-med.JPG
Let me know.
(909) 712-3290

76cole
02-28-2004, 07:12 AM
what kinda price are you looking to get? i got a water pump from hud but i still need the rest. p.m. me with what you want. thanks