PDA

View Full Version : Sink hole

1stepcloser
02-24-2004, 08:42 AM
Does anyone here have any experience with the diagnosis and repair of sink holes?
I had on open under the edge of my front patio during the rain, it looks pretty intimidating, seems to be getting bigger.
I'm not sure what the heel to do with it, so I thought I would post this here and see if anyone has some insight or experience with this phenomenon.
:confused:

Stupid Fast
02-24-2004, 08:58 AM
It is either a sewer or storm line that has broken or is leaking. To fix it just dig it up and repiar the pipe.
It could also just be settling depending on how long ago any work int the area was done. If more than a year then I would doubt it is from settling though.
EMC

Outnumbered
02-24-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
Does anyone here have any experience with the diagnosis and repair of sink holes?
I had on open under the edge of my front patio during the rain, it looks pretty intimidating, seems to be getting bigger.
I'm not sure what the heel to do with it, so I thought I would post this here and see if anyone has some insight or experience with this phenomenon.
:confused:
How new is your house? If its within 10 years you need to get a hold of the builder ASAP. Generally there is a 10 year warranty on the structure of your home and foundation etc. Not sure if this would qualify but you need to look into it. I would get a soils engineer out if it grows too big. Your local Realtor or a general contractor should be able to refer you. A buddy of mine lives in Chino Hills and has recently had a spring come up under his 4,200 sqft house:eek: He is going round with the builder now because the house is about 7 years old. he bought it new and it never had a problem until now.
OL

1stepcloser
02-24-2004, 09:36 AM
The house was built in '85, I moved in in '92. I know the builder has since gone out of business since a neighbor a few houses up had a similar issue about thirteen years ago. Engineers at that time told him it was a soil compaction problem due to earlier "fill" that was under the ground, he tried to get help form the builder, they were out of business.
I am likely going to have to ante up for this, as it seems a bit more than digging it out and filling it back in.
A friend of mine also suggested it is a broken sewer line, havent investigated that possibility yet....
:(

Hotcrusader76
02-24-2004, 09:40 AM
You might want to try PMing HOSS...he's the expert on sink holes:D

spectratoad
02-24-2004, 10:21 AM
A friend of mine also suggested it is a broken sewer line, havent investigated that possibility yet....
:(
The smell might help determine that.:D Hope it is something simple.

HOSS
02-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Sounds like a firehose and 12 yrds of dirt will do the job. **** the broken pipe.

ROZ
02-24-2004, 11:06 AM
PM mandelon. I'm sure he has a guy who can take care of it.. :D

dorC
02-24-2004, 11:11 AM
If the pipe is broke, you'll need to fix it. If it's just settlement, just fill the hole with your choice of material.

spectratoad
02-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by dorC
If the pipe is broke, you'll need to fix it. If it's just settlement, just fill the hole with your choice of material.
Everyone meet at 1step's house with your ex's!!!:eek:

dorC
02-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by spectratoad
Everyone meet at 1step's house with your ex's!!!:eek:
LOL!1!! :eek: :eek:

Danhercules
02-24-2004, 01:29 PM
Call me ASAP 714-231-5434. I fill voids and lift concrete slabs.

rrrr
02-24-2004, 02:26 PM
See what happens when you take those patio piss breaks too often ?
:D

1stepcloser
02-24-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by rrrr
See what happens when you take those patio piss breaks too often ?
:D
Thats over on the side, next to the boat.....where the grass is really green.....;)

Danhercules
02-24-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Stupid Fast
It is either a sewer or storm line that has broken or is leaking. To fix it just dig it up and repiar the pipe.
It could also just be settling depending on how long ago any work int the area was done. If more than a year then I would doubt it is from settling though.
EMC
I lift house foundations and raise sunken slabs. They can sink may years after they are built.

Danhercules
02-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by dorC
Close but not good enough. It needs to be will compacted. The only good way is to pump it under pressure. Aka, pressure grouting, or mudjacking.

ROZ
02-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Thats over on the side, next to the boat.....where the grass is really green.....;)
Green? What are you eating? My diet kills the grass :D

1stepcloser
02-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Eating? I try to use the water closet if I am in the house, where I usually am when I eat.
Now, outdoors on the other hand, well that would surely be the mighty Coors Light.....

Desert Rat
02-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Danhercules
Close but not good enough. It needs to be will compacted. The only good way is to pump it under pressure. Aka, pressure grouting, or mudjacking.
Had to read that twice, sure glad it was mudjacking and not mudpacking. :D

Danhercules
02-24-2004, 04:11 PM
I call it mudslinging sometimes!!:D I get real dirty sometimes. My wife askes me if I get more on me or in the hole that I drill !!:eek:

Mandelon
02-24-2004, 06:26 PM
We want pictures.

Danhercules
02-26-2004, 08:35 AM
Well, with all this rain, what happend?

dorC
02-26-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Danhercules
Very true. You're talking about fixing the hole once and for all. I was figuring on a able bodied home owner being able to push a shovel a couple of times a year for the next couple of years.