PDA

View Full Version : Project Topless!!!

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
02-24-2004, 09:33 AM
As promised I will be keeping people up to date for TexasJet. He's not as savy on the puter!;)
this was Duane's baseline run.
Originally posted by Duane HTP
The speed was 66.2 MPH at 5300 rpm. Both by GPS and by Nordskog test Speedometer. Temp was 56*/95% air, mild breeze with 4" chop.
Thanks, Duane
attached are some pics of the instruments used.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523JEFF1-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523JEFF6-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523JEFF2-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523JEFF3-med.jpg
now on to the new stuff. these are some pics of the new loader and shoe kit (HTP) notice how the loader actually sticks down below the bottom of the boat now;) TexasJet suffered from a severe case of cavitation as you can see by the condition of the old impeller.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523JEFF4-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523JEFF5-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523JEFF7-med.jpg
I believe Duane intends to test after each individaul modification and document for his own personal benefit as well as ours. We will keep you posted as progress continues and a big thanks to Duane for taking pics to help document this adventure!:)

cyclone
02-24-2004, 09:49 AM
cool pics. keep us updated.:)

1tricky1
02-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Very cool pics!!! I have recently completed the same shoe and ride plate conversion with a similar loader. Haven't tested yet, too much rain and too much work. Looking forward to these results!

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
02-24-2004, 01:15 PM
The top loader in this picture is NOT the new one. It had to come out because it did NOT load the pump correctly. Duane will take a picture of the new one.
These pictures were pictures of the new E-Shoe installed. Upon first run, the pump had no intake pressure at WOT. After installation of the E-Shoe only, it had 23 lbs.
you getting these numbers LVjetboy? I figured you could make us a nifty chart when it is all said and done
;) :D
Omega

1tricky1
02-24-2004, 06:25 PM
You know I thought that loader looked a little funny in there. Looks like it's not really loading the top area very well. Do you know who made that loader? Or is it home made?:confused:

Blown 472
02-24-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
The top loader in this picture is NOT the new one. It had to come out because it did NOT load the pump correctly. Duane will take a picture of the new one.
These pictures were pictures of the new E-Shoe installed. Upon first run, the pump had no intake pressure at WOT. After installation of the E-Shoe only, it had 23 lbs.
you getting these numbers LVjetboy? I figured you could make us a nifty chart when it is all said and done
;) :D
Omega
Best 200 bucks I spent on my shitbox. Budjet472 out.

Jet Hydro
02-24-2004, 07:08 PM
Where have I seen all that stuff before????? ....lol...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523JEFF1-med.jpg

Ken F
02-24-2004, 07:18 PM
Yep, those DO strike a familiar note!
lol...wonder how many boats those guages have added mph to?
Any idea Duane? Have you kept tally?
Ken

Duane HTP
02-24-2004, 07:23 PM
I used to keep track, Ken, but I've lost tally 20 years ago. In the hundreds by now I'm sure.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
02-25-2004, 04:49 AM
looks like Duane got busy yesterday:) snoot looks good. kinda makes you want to polish the rest of the pump huh TexasJet:eek:
here is the latest update on project topless:
new loader is in, pump was run through including new Aggressor impeller and ultimate wear ring, Aggressor 9 vein bowl and the SNOOT. Ride plate was finished up also.
No further water testing due to windy/cold conditions.
Once again thanks for the pics Duane!!
:cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523snoot1-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523snoot2-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523loader1-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523loader2-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523loader3-med.jpg
Omega

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
02-25-2004, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by 1tricky1
You know I thought that loader looked a little funny in there. Looks like it's not really loading the top area very well. Do you know who made that loader? Or is it home made?:confused:
it came from a local guy......nuff said
:eek:
Omega

Taylorman
02-25-2004, 07:19 AM
HMMMMM. I wonder who that could be? Omega, why aren't ya'll using him. LOL.

Taylorman
02-25-2004, 07:22 AM
Whats the basline numbers on the boat before the modifications started?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
02-25-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Taylorman
HMMMMM. I wonder who that could be? Omega, why aren't ya'll using him. LOL.
no comment. let's keep this clean!

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
02-25-2004, 07:24 AM
Whats the basline numbers on the boat before the modifications started?
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The speed was 66.2 MPH at 5300 rpm. Both by GPS and by Nordskog test Speedometer. Temp was 56*/95% air, mild breeze with 4" chop.
Thanks, Duane
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taylorman
02-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Who installed this shoe?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523loader2-med.jpg
Just wondering since they drilled through the pump when they tapped it for the shoe. I hope you say Dwayne did it so I don't feel so bad for doing the same thing on mine. I drilled and tapped mine and let me tell you that is some hard shit to drill through. I used cobalt drill bits and had a hard time drilling into the pump.

roostwear
02-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Cool project. I'll be interested in seeing just what can be done with an "E" pump. Maybe this summer I'll try a few things with mine and see if I can pick up some speed.

1tricky1
02-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Who installed this shoe?
Just wondering since they drilled through the pump when they tapped it for the shoe. I hope you say Dwayne did it so I don't feel so bad for doing the same thing on mine. I drilled and tapped mine and let me tell you that is some hard shit to drill through. I used cobalt drill bits and had a hard time drilling into the pump.
Same thing happened when I did mine...it appears it shouldn't affect anything. Have you tested yours after the shoe and rideplate install?

TexasJet
02-26-2004, 05:44 PM
No progress to report. Duane says the weather has been cold and windy. That's OK. This is the reason I brought the boat up there in the winter, no hurry. The new Lightning headers are built but not powder coated yet. I'm trying to be patient but it aint easy.:)

Taylorman
02-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by 1tricky1
Same thing happened when I did mine...it appears it shouldn't affect anything. Have you tested yours after the shoe and rideplate install?
I have not done any real testing because I still have the jet o vator and can't adjust the ride plate like it needs to be. I have to adjust it way down to clear the cable. I plan on buying a place this summer and will be able to adjust it then.

1tricky1
02-26-2004, 10:25 PM
Cool deal Taylorman. Hope it works well for ya!....shit I hope mine works well for me. :D

Mohavekid
02-29-2004, 09:09 AM
Very cool project here.
Looking forward to hearing some more results.

Duane HTP
02-29-2004, 12:09 PM
There is none. The wind is still blowing 35 mph and now its raining too. Supposed to snow in a day or two. BLAAH!

ChetCapoli
02-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
The speed was 66.2 MPH at 5300 rpm. Both by GPS and by Nordskog
Do these numbers seem like the numbers of a tired pump? :confused: Just wondering why he needed a new impeller/wear ring? Was his old stuff bad or something? I can understand the shoe and the split bowl option but man...hope the results are worth the money spent here.....:eek!:
Is the droop going to be tried or is the "snoot" the only option? Wonder how a berkeley bowl(used?, save $$) would do over the aggressor...is that one going to be tried too?
thanks,CHET

hack job
02-29-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by ChetCapoli
Do these numbers seem like the numbers of a tired pump? :confused: Just wondering why he needed a new impeller/wear ring? Was his old stuff bad or something? I can understand the shoe and the split bowl option but man...hope the results are worth the money spent here.....:eek!:
Is the droop going to be tried or is the "snoot" the only option? Wonder how a berkeley bowl(used?, save $$) would do over the aggressor...is that one going to be tried too?
thanks,CHET
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TexasJet
02-29-2004, 01:57 PM
Chet, I was there when they pulled the bowl off. The pump had not been touched since '97. The empellor was worn out for sure. It had cavitation marks on it as well as serious signs of wear. I don't want to speak for Duane but it is my understanding that he feels the "snoot" performs better than the "droupe". With his experience and the ability to test at the lake near his shop I'm confident he will come up with the best combination. During the course of my life I have not had much luck with buying or using used parts . I have always bought new stuff and not been dissapointed. I am kind of mechanically challenged anyway:) .

HBjet
02-29-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by TexasJet
Chet, I was there when they pulled the bowl off. The pump had not been touched since '97. The empellor was worn out for sure. It had cavitation marks on it as well as serious signs of wear. I don't want to speak for Duane but it is my understanding that he feels the "snoot" performs better than the "droupe". With his experience and the ability to test at the lake near his shop I'm confident he will come up with the best combination. During the course of my life I have not had much luck with buying or using used parts . I have always bought new stuff and not been dissapointed. I am kind of mechanically challenged anyway:) .
TJ, your going to have to get used to Chet about these topics. See, if you pay or listen to a professional, for one, he's going to automatically assume your "Money Bags" and you are just being fooled by Duane. Even though he's been doing this for 30 years, it is your duty to challenge every recommendation he makes about changes to your pump, and he needs to back up every recommendation with numbers/proof. No, excuses. Now, if you did opt to buy used parts to save money, etc. Chet would have another angle on you, it would be, why not buy new Aggressor, its the latest technology...
NOTE: not bashing Aggressor here
So, either way, your screwed because I don't know one person who could please Chet with there pump rebuild when it comes to who they use, or what they use.
Some typical Chet responses...
1) You buy a new Berkeley pump with Alum. impeller
A - Why did you buy new when you can buy a used one for half the cost, and then have it detailed?
B - If you where going to buy new, why not buy newer Technology and buy Aggressor
2) You buy a new Aggressor pump with Alum. impeller
A - Why would you waste all that money on a new Aggressor pump when you could just buy a Bowl and Impeller and use them on your existing pump?
B - Since your made out of money, why would you pay so much for a new pump, but not even get the Mag/Bronze impeller?
3) Take your pump to a professional to be detailed/rebuilt
A - Why don't you do the rebuild yourself, these pumps are very easy to work on
B - Did your builder provide you with numbers, and proof something he recommends for your pump is going to work? If he didn't then your just being fooled like everyone else... Money Bags!
I could go on and on, but they all have the same pattern.... and I think you get the idea
HBjet

Mohavekid
02-29-2004, 02:40 PM
HB,
Well put, that's why we pretty much ignore Chet.

DiverDown
02-29-2004, 03:30 PM
Here's the deal people. We all have to make decisions that we feel comfortable with based on our own research. It doesn't matter if you are paying for pump work, a new engine, lawn mower or a new truck. If you find someone you are comfortable with and trust then by all means give them a shot. I personally research anything I am going to be spending a fair amount of money on quite thoroughly, and I also check references as much as I can and in a situation where I am looking for someone to provide service work of any kind I try and look at examples of their work and what kind of results they get. After all of the research I try and find a money spent to performance or quality gained ratio...example-- I will spend more money having one of my race trucks or pesonal vehicles painted than I will painting a vehicle that I am going to set on my tote the note lot. Another thing to consider is the fact that anyone can buy the best parts out there, but just because you can pay for the parts does not mean that you have the skills and knowledge to use them properly or to their maximum abilities. There will always be a certain amount of jealousy by some people who either can not or will not spend the money to have something professionaly done over those who can and will, and some may never see the value of doing so if they never have. That being said, I can certainly appreciate someone wanting to do the work themselves and learning that way, hell, that is how most people learn and there can also be great satisfaction in doing it yourself. I also think you should always question any work you are having done and in my experience most true professionals are happy to explain the hows and whys of what they are doing, if they won't I would say run as fast as you can the opposite direction besuase blind faith will usually teach you a costly lesson. Just remember that you get what you pay for and knowledge, expertise and experience are very hard to put a price on.:)

ChetCapoli
02-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by HBjet
Even though he's been doing this for 30 years, it is your duty to challenge every recommendation he makes about changes to your pump, and he needs to back up every recommendation with numbers/proof.
WTF hb?? I'm asking some pretty good questions i think...i'm not bashing anyone here. If i was spending some SERIOUS coin on my boat like texas here, you'd bet you ass i want to know and not just ASSUME(like the snoot vs. droop for example) it's the right way because 30yrs gets mentioned ok? (Somes guys can get a little carried away when someone else's pocketbook is being used). Unlike you, there are some people out there(aside from me) who dont have an OPEN CHECKBOOK. :p Cut your BS will ya, i asked some good Q's and you know it.
No, excuses. Now, if you did opt to buy used parts to save money, etc. Chet would have another angle on you, it would be, why not buy new Aggressor, its the latest technology...
HBjet
yes hb back when i bought my parts they were less expensive(than any other) then they are now. The prices went up on parts(wonder why?) i notice so there are OTHER angles(like a used berk G bowl that they have on their site). Are you getting on me for recommending berkeley now since he has of all things.....AGGRESSOR??? Hmmmm....
Thanks for answering my Q's texas... :)
CHET
P.S. remember this HB???
IF you were to compare price and quality from a converted JC/JG(8vane) to a stock out of the box aggressor 9 vane(or any other mfg)....the converted bowl willwin every time in BOTH areas. Better perf, lower cost. HBJET
Get me my numbers mr. knowitall! :argue:

Jake W
02-29-2004, 06:28 PM
I should leave this one alone but what the hell.When you post a (Make the boat go faster thread be prepared for questions).My thought is with Chet on this Most likely the Aggressor bowl is not making the mph diffrence probely the rebuild add on shoe,and snoot or droop will yeald the most.
Now disclamer Duane knows what he is doing he has been doing this for more years than I have been alive.
But at the end it is Texas Jets money and he should buy what he wants.
Jake:D

TexasJet
02-29-2004, 06:53 PM
I will admit on the 10 hour drive up there, by yourself, you have a lot of time to think. What if I don't like him? What if I don't think he knows what he's doing? What if, what if and on and on. At the open house he had on Sunday I got a chance to talk to him and some people who also know a lot about jets. They all think Duane knows his stuff. As far as him working on my pump, he is doing some things I am not talking about on the boards. I have complete confidence in him and what he is doing for me. Be patient and everything will shake out in 2 to 3 weeks, weather permitting. As far as money is concerned, no I'm not made of it, nor am I hurtin'. Remember my boat is a 1979, that should tell you something right there.

Ken F
02-29-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by ChetCapoli
thanks,CHET
Chet, do me a favor would you? Read back through your post above. Do you not see/understand how abrasive Demeaning and sarcastic you sound in your post? I'm not bashing you here, but just trying to get you to look at how you come across. Maybe that is just your personality, I don't know.
I talked quite a lot with Texas Jet at Duanes open house. He came there with a goal in mind, which he wanted to accomplish. He chose Duane to help him get there, and pretty much advise him on how to do it. No, those numbers don't sound like a worn out pump....but don't you want to go a little faster each year than you did the year before? I know I do.
Duane has lots of experience with both droop-snoots, Snoots, and many kinds of boats. That is what he has done for 30 years. He developed the Snoot to fill a void in which the droop was lacking.
A droop will STILL work on some boats, and on others the snoot gives a dramatic increase. It depends on the boat. My assumption would be that Duane called upon his experience and said this boat will do better with the snoot, not even needing to test it with a droop having been there & done that all before....probably even directed the video.
In summary Chet, Look at how you have probably made Texas Jet feel.
Here he is, excited about the coming improvements to his boat. Your post makes it seem like he's done about 5 things wrong already...and why?
What is the point of coming across that way? You see what I mean? I hope so.
Thanks for your time Chet

Jet Hydro
02-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Let`s put it this way....... I have spent a bunch of money in his shop...Some he got and most he didn't get. What I`m saying is, I have most likely spent over $30,000 CASH in that building on Boats, parts, motor`s , ect"" "" ""
I bought my blower motor out of his shop because he told me it was a good one and he knew it well, Guess what???? He was right and he didn't get the money I spent on it. I bought My Sunkist out of his shop, There again he told me he knew the boat and it was well worth the money. Guess what??? "Right Again"
Then he told me about Aggressor Jet Drives, Guess what "Right Again" I`ll put my money on Duane any day!!!!!
He`s been right every time! You want to know something funny? If he doesn't know something, he`ll tell you "I don't know" How can you go wrong with a guy that tells you like it is (one way or the other)?
Chet,
I stood up for you once a pon a time, (((( Cost me a lot of respect from others)))) but will you PLEASE..... STFU for once????? You`er full of BS....

Jordy
02-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Jet Hydro
Chet,
I stood up for you once a pon a time, (((( Cost me a lot of respect from others)))) but will you PLEASE..... STFU for once????? You`er full of BS....
:D :D :D :D

Jake W
02-29-2004, 08:39 PM
I want Texasjet and every one else to know my post was not to discurage Texas jet or take any thing away from Duane as a pump builder ect.
In your guys opinion what mods usualy make the mph diffrence.
My thought LOADER,SHOE RIDE PLATE,REBUILD,SNOOT or DROOP,IMPELLER change
My only point was a Split bowl of any kind would only serve as a way to put a droop wedges and or snoot on.My thinking would be the bowl only comes in to play after so much HP?Now what is your thoughts.
Now with that said I have an Aggressor 9 vein bowl so I am not trying to bash any thing or any ones methods.
Jake:)

TexasJet
03-01-2004, 04:49 AM
Initially I did most of my research on Duane and HTP by reading various posts in JustJets. After a time I was confident enough to make a appointment to deliver my boat. Based on all the info I have received since then I have no doubt I made the correct choice. You are correct, Duane does not represent himself as a person who "knows it all". If I had never met Duane or been to his shop or talked to the people who have done business with him I might feel suspicious or cautious like Chet does.

Jordy
03-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
:D :D :D :D
Apparently that boring waste of space Chet didn't like my repsonse to Slowy telling him to shut the **** up. I thought it was pretty funny, but here is the response I got from Chet via IM:
what now??
numnuts do me a favor and just mind your own posts and stay out of mine.
I posted some GOOD questions so what the F is you problem now?? Seems it's getting the be the HTP cheerleader board instead of MPD
CHET
P.S. I gotta ask ya what the deal is with the dancing tigger bear???? Are you gay or something?
You're such a ****ing tool chet. Why don't you just go away?
Jordy <------- just sitting here shakin' his head. :rolleyes:

Jet Hydro
03-01-2004, 09:29 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Let`s see if I can get one ;) :wink: :D :cool:

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
03-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Just for those who want to know, this picture shows why the old impeller came out. It was not in poor pulling condition. The pump was tight and worked good, but the pump had a top loader in it that had been starving the impeller for water and caused these cavitation burns. Sooner or later it would have come apart. The wear ring was in fine shape, but it was of the old SS type with no lip on it. The only real difference that can be expected to see from the pump job would be a little better hole shot from the Aggressor impeller. One might call this preventative maintenance.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523oldimpeller-med.jpg
see attached photo for larger version
Omega

78sj
03-01-2004, 02:26 PM
Someone pass me the bottle of DRAMAmine..:D

Mohavekid
03-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Anything new on this project?

LVjetboy
03-07-2004, 01:26 AM
Wow! Looks like cavitation ate clear thru the blade in one spot. Also looks like the base plate edge on the old loader and mid span support edge could've distrupted flow down the center...that and the ramps aimed way low. Interesting stuff Omega...thanks for posting.
jer

TexasJet
03-07-2004, 07:10 AM
I talked to Duane a few times last week. The weather up there has been lousy. Rain, cold, wind, not ideal weather for testing. The Lightning headers should be at their shop by the end of the week. If I get any more news I'll pass it on. Oh, one thing, I ordered a set of those awsome HTP valve covers. I think it's just like the DNE stickers on HBJets motor, good for a few more MPH. :)

Mohavekid
03-07-2004, 07:51 AM
Sounds like its gonna look good and go good too.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
03-08-2004, 05:13 AM
see attached photos of new linkage and a note from Duane updating the progress.
Temp was 51 degrees, 94% air, and there was a breeze with about a 6"
chop.
The steering adapter came in this morning and we got it installed. We
took the boat out this afternoon, and getting that steering up out of the
water helped quite a bit on the handling of the boat. Stopped a lot of that
spray back there too.
We ran the boat with your old impeller just for testing and it ran 68.8
mph @ 5200 with the new Snoot, and shoe & plate kit. So, my guess is that
the new wear ring tightened it up a little because of the rpm drop. Then we
put the Aggressor B back in and it ran 70.6 mph @ 5000 rpm. I'm sure we'll
probably end up with close to a "C" cut impeller when we're done, but I
thought I'd wait until the headers come in, put them on and see what
difference they make and then do the final cut on the impeller.
Duane HTP
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523linkage2-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523linkage1-med.jpg
Omega

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
03-09-2004, 04:50 AM
we did a little more testing. we wanted to know for sure the exact differences of running a droop or a Snoot on this boat, so we put one on and tried several different settings of wedges and plate.
The end result was that the boat didn't run too bad for speed at top end, but it made the boat handle poorly. Anywhere much below WOT, the droop made everything too low and it had a tendency to drag in the water at lower speeds. When we wedged it up far enough to get the hardware up out of the water, the diverter would not go down far enough to drive the boat, it started to porpoise bad. It made the steering hard and was like driving over a 45 degree boat wake all the time.
The best numbers we got were; 68.2 MPH @ 5200 Rpm. 55 degree Temp, 96% air and about 3 inch chop. We are putting the Snoot back on.
We will proceed with the headers as soon as they come in.
Duane HTP
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523DROOP-med.JPG
Omega

TexasJet
03-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Hey Chet there's your answer on droop vs snoot. I don't mean to make any general statements. For my boat the snoot works better. Also, notice the smaller ride plate vs the earlier pics. It seems my boat handles better with the smaller plate. This was learned from many hours of lake testing by Duane and Brian. Next they are going to pull the motor and replace the rear bearings and find out why I have a rattle at idle. I'm also getting the snoot and steering etc powder coated. Those damn headers better get there soon.

TexasJet
03-11-2004, 06:40 PM
Duane replaced the yoke, that fixed the rattle at idle. From the bowl on back is headed to the powdercoaters. THE HEADERS ARE ON THE WAY!!! I even have a UPS tracking number. Man we are getting close. The weather down here is getting warmer by the day. The lake temp is up to 70 already. :) :) :)

Ken F
03-11-2004, 06:47 PM
You already have 70 degree lake water?
I could have gone all day without knowing that! lol
KenF

Jake W
03-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Sounds about right for Texas.I use to live in Bedford Texas and remember it being around 60 to 70 most years around X mass Time.I have often thought about moving back to Texas ,and Dad and Mom live there still.Dad lives out side of Prinston and my Mom lives in Denton.One bad thing about Texas lakes and this is true in Oklahoma the stormes come up fast because the land is relly flat it could go from a great sunny day to beat hell rain hail and mabey a tronado or two while you are trying to get the boat back on the trailer.
Texasjet sound like you are on you way to a good summer.
Jake:)

TexasJet
03-12-2004, 08:53 AM
Jake W, man you are absolutely correct about Texas weather. In the 20+ years I have been camping I have seen some terrible storms come up suddenly. I NEVER leave my boat in the water overnight cause I have a healthy distrust of mother nature.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
03-17-2004, 04:42 AM
I guess this part of the thread got blown away yesterday. here is a repost of yesterday's pictures along with 3 pics showing the headers installed.:cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523Lightning_3561-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523Lightning_3562-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523Lightning_Headers_3568-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523Lightning_Headers_3569-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523Lightning_Headers_3570-med.jpg
Omega

1slowboat
03-17-2004, 07:09 PM
I THOUGHT ABOUT POWDER COATING MY PUMP THAT COLOR.....LOOKS AWSOME:D :D

Mohavekid
03-18-2004, 05:27 PM
Those look great!!!
Any new performance #'s?

TexasJet
03-18-2004, 05:37 PM
From the snoot on back are still at the powder coaters. Stainless hose and fittings on order. Probably no testing till mid next week. Current speed is 70.6 MPH.

Mohavekid
03-19-2004, 07:13 PM
Those pipes are beautiful.
I'm thinking they'd be a perfect color match for my boat. Maybe next year.

TexasJet
03-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Next year is what I said last year. I'm very curious to see how much speed I pick up. The Lightnings replaced stock logs that I know were very restrictive.

Hotcrusader76
03-20-2004, 01:01 AM
These are a nice Candy Red....looks sharp
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523Lightning_3561-med.jpg

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
03-23-2004, 01:47 PM
see attached photos of pump back together with freshly powdercoated parts from the bowl back. No further testing due to high wind conditions. Will post final numbers as soon as I get them. Boat comes home this weekend hopefully. TexasJet is gitty!:)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523BaJa_3591-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523BaJa_3592-med.jpg
Omega

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
03-24-2004, 04:43 AM
Guess I missed giving you test data from going back to the aggressor "B" impeller from your old one. We got 72.4 MPH out if it before we put on the headers last week. I ran it just a tiny bit today. Looked like the headers might have gained it 100 rpm. The wind was blowing 40 mph so we could not get any speed before we got into the rough water as we drove away from the damn.
more to come later.
Omega

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
03-25-2004, 04:44 AM
see attached photos of plumbing completed and new valve covers installed. Looking good!!!! high winds have still prevented any speed runs but it is on the agenda before delivery. Thanks again Duane for all the awesome pictures!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523DCP_3593-med.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523DCP_3595-med.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523DCP_3598-med.jpg
Omega

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
04-01-2004, 05:11 AM
well it is finally done. I would like to thank Duane for all of the pictures and emails he has sent to keep us all posted on the progress and results of this 'adventure'. Perhaps a few questions were answered and some definite hard data was collected. Thanks to Duane and Brian at HTP for all of their hard work and perseverance.
see attached message with finalized numbers.:)
Well, I spent my last day on the water with your boat. I put Rogers flowed race bowl on this morning and went out and made a run. The boat ran real good. It felt more free and easy running in the lower rpm range. In fact it would stay on plane and run about 27 mph at 2800 rpm. At 3000 rpm it ran 32.8 mph. That in itself speaks well of the pump efficiency. Then I turned her around and made a hard run towards the ramp. The speedometer in your boat showed just a hair over 75 mph. I don't know how accurate it is. So, I stopped to read the GPS, and the batteries had gone dead. There was a mild breeze with about a 3" chop. The air was 94% and the temperature was 57 degrees.
Because of the good feeling of the boat at lower rpms, I worked your bowl over today. I worked the veins some, front and rear. It is not a full flowed race bowl job.
Anyway, I put your bowl back on this evening and Brian went to the lake with me after work. The boat runs good. On my two runs, I got 74.8 mph. I think it helped more than we could really tell because by 7:00 pm the water was absolutely dead calm. There was not a ripple, just solid glass, and I got 74.8 mph out of it at 5300 RPM. The temp was 62 degrees and the air was 91%. I honestly think we have gained you about 10 MPH at the SAME RPM.
We got the gas gauge in today and replaced the plug wires. Topless is READY to come home.
just to recap here is the original data from the baseline run:
Thanks, Duane
I have also attached a photo of the completed setup. notice that the ride plate is much shorter than most. It seems this Baja hull is quite a different animal than most jet hulls and responds diffrently to the 'normal' modifications. I think it should be mentioned that Duane went thru 6 different shoes and 3 or 4 rideplates trying to fine tune the ride, performance and handling of this boat.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523DCP_3611cr-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523DCP_3623-med.jpg
Omega

ChetCapoli
04-01-2004, 06:30 AM
I honestly think we have gained you almost 10MPH at the SAME RPM.
8.6mph is pretty close..might as well call it 10mph. Does anyone know how fast the boat was before the headers and just the pump mods only?
CHET

TexasJet
04-01-2004, 07:16 AM
Chet, you misquoted Duane, he said about 10 MPH. What he didn't say and I understand is that Brian, being quite a bit lighter than Duane, consistently got about 1 MPH more when he drove the boat. In the future please try to quote accurately.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
04-01-2004, 07:45 AM
Chet I think you need therapy!!! Why are you so pissed off at the world??? did you routinely get your ass kicked as a child or something?:confused:
Omega

HavasuDreamin'
04-01-2004, 07:57 AM
Looks good..........both pump and motor. Great job Duane. :cool:

Greaser
04-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Everything looks great Texas Jet. Sounds like it sgonna perform pretty good as well. I cant wait to see it in action:D
<-----makes mental note not to run next to this boat at lake somerville:D

shaun
04-01-2004, 04:35 PM
What do these hoses running into the pump do?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523DCP_3611cr-med.jpg

TexasJet
04-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Shaun, the one on the right side give inlet pressure. The one on top give bowl pressure. Both are hooked up to guages that read PSI. They are there for testing to tell Duane how well the shoe is loading the impeller and how well the impeller is working. There may be more to it and if there is I'm sure someone will correct me. By the way how is your project coming? I looked at your pics, the boat look cool.

460rogers
04-01-2004, 07:11 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523DCP_3623-med.jpg
SWEET
Can't wait to see it fly by my turd of a boat.

ChetCapoli
04-01-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by TexasJet
In the future please try to quote accurately.
Yez bozz, sorry. So do could you be so kind as to answer my question for me about the headers?
thanks, CHET

shaun
04-02-2004, 01:31 AM
TexasJet: ahh, thanks that makes perfect sense to me. As for my project... man, there is just not enough time and there seams to be too much stuff going on in my life it seams. First problem is the block is .040 over and the machinest didnt recommend to go to .060 because the bore was true and he though i told him i was going to use the same pistons. Now i'm having a hard time finding forged pistons to yeild around 10:1 with a 118cc head. I'm also in the middle of a pump rebuild and i cant get the f'ing impeller nut off. I'm going to have to order the socket from rex and hopfully i can get it off. I also need to get the boat down to todd to have him look at some repairs. Oh, and now... the association is bitching at me and i cant leave the boat where it's at. it has to go in the garage, so i need to find a way to make it fit. Lets see what else.... oh the hi-performance swap meet lands on easter and mothers day so thats just about impossible for me to go to and i need to pick up a set of 990 heads. I think i'm rambling now. I got alot of do, i hope i finish before summer :D

TexasJet
04-02-2004, 04:31 AM
Chet, I will, I need to talk to Duane to make sure I remember correctly. Probably won't post till Monday.

Taylorman
04-02-2004, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Shaun
I'm also in the middle of a pump rebuild and i cant get the f'ing impeller nut off.
Shaun. If you have a steel nut on the impeller and it has been on there for many years like mine was, you may have to cut it off with a torch. Keep your money and find a good welder that can cut it off without hitting the threads with the torch. My dad did this on mine.

Mohavekid
04-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Those have got to be the best looking Lightning headers I've ever seen it a boat.
The results look pretty good too, 8.5 MPH with just headers and pump work is impressive.
Too bad Kansas is so far away...

NAMarine
04-02-2004, 08:29 PM
Shaun, I was able to get the nut off the impellae by taking a chisel to the flat and strike at an angle to turn it off. Mine actually cracked and was able to take it off with a big Cresent wrench.

TexasJet
04-04-2004, 03:00 PM
Duane brought the boat to Houston so he could visit his son and family. Omega Bubble Jet and I picked it up 10 PM Friday night. My son and I spent Sat. and Sun cleaning and polishing and just staring at the motor and headers. The pics of the headers are close in color but not 100 % true. They actually have a little copper in the color and it sparkles in the sun. It really looks better that the pics. I will be on the lake next Sat. for sure.:)

Ken F
04-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Wow Jeff, I can't believe you werent at the lake saturday morning! How can you wait a whole week??????
Ken

matt1
04-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Ken F
Wow Jeff, I can't believe you werent at the lake saturday morning! How can you wait a whole week??????
Ken
Boy I know what strong will power I would have been at the lake 7 am sharp.

TexasJet
04-04-2004, 06:43 PM
I had to wash the bugs off cause Duane left Wichita early in morning. The lake they test in must be kind of muddy. I had to put the swim platform and brackets on, the motor cover and the rear seat. It was tough not going because it was a beautiful weekend down here. I want Topless looking her best when she hits the lake. We do a lot of camping and boating in the summer I will be able to use it for 8 or 10 days in a row two times this summer. It will get used alot. I just didn't want to rush putting it back together. I guess thats just me.:confused: Ken, I'll see you at Table Rock.

TexasJet
04-17-2004, 06:23 PM
I finally made it to the lake. It was very windy, 30+mph, but I had to see if all the time and money was worth it. Let me state in loud terms YESSSSSS IT WAS WORTH IT!!!!!!!!! . Now down to details. The lightning headers seem to be quiter when cruising, than the stock logs. The tone is deeper. However they are louder when you nail it, like coming out of the no wake zone. The headers are to hot to keep your hand on even though they are water jacketed. The motor temperature is about 10 Deg. cooler with the Lightnings, go figure. The boat is alot more responsive and accelerates quicker. The aggressor pump must be much more efficient than the old pump. For instance I noticed that at 4000 RPM I used to go 40 MPH, now I go 51. I couldn't find enough calm water to really see what the top end is. I'll be up at the lake again next weekend, hopefully the wind won't be blowing so hard. Removing the rudder didn't seem to effect the low speed handling so I guess I didn't need it to begin with.

Duane HTP
04-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Texasjet, I'll answer your email when I get home tomorrow night. I can not send email from here for some reason. We're doing a through spring cleaning at the cabin this week end.

Ol Yeller
08-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Wonder what ball park figure a guy could expext to pay Duane to do a set up like this on An 'E' pump?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-25-2004, 03:32 AM
Wonder what ball park figure a guy could expext to pay Duane to do a set up like this on An 'E' pump?
try giving Duane a call at (316) 794-8616. He is a super nice guy and a straight shooter from what I have seen. :shift:
Omega

roostwear
08-30-2004, 08:05 AM
Any update on this? I'll be installing the E-shoe from HTP this week, and a few tips would be appreciated. There is a bit of drilling and tapping to do, and a new mounting bracket. Duane had mentioned stiffening the plate, and I'm thinking I can do it with 1x aluminum angle.

Taylorman
08-30-2004, 08:30 AM
Any update on this? I'll be installing the E-shoe from HTP this week, and a few tips would be appreciated. There is a bit of drilling and tapping to do, and a new mounting bracket. Duane had mentioned stiffening the plate, and I'm thinking I can do it with 1x aluminum angle.
I used angle on mine to stiffen it up. Came out good. Make sure to use a good tapping oil on the alum so not to gall the metal when tapping. Also run your tap in and out frequently so not to mess up the threads with the shavings when you back the tap out of the hole. Run it in a couple threads and back it out and clean the shavings off the tap each time. Good luck.

Duane HTP
08-30-2004, 10:17 AM
Yes, the 1x angle aluminum works fine.