PDA

View Full Version : When gas hits $3.00...

burtandnancy
02-24-2004, 03:02 PM
on the street, its sure to hit at least $4.00 at my marina. I'm not a sniveler, but its going to cut down on my kids trips and a lot of friends just refuse to spend that kind of money for a week-end boat ride. In our case, we may just camp out in a cove and make less round trips...

NOTALENT
02-24-2004, 03:07 PM
when it hits 3.00 we better start to strike...Thats just ridiculous. I hate how they can take advantage of people like that..When I was at havasu last weekend I took 10 5 gallon tanks and filled them all up in AZ...lol:D Saved a few bucks...but well worth it.

Froggystyle
02-24-2004, 03:09 PM
After my Powell trip a couple of years back, I got a 50 gallon poly tank with a pump and hose. I needed it for good gas, but now I may just go and fill it up at the Navy exchange gas pump and save some cash for the trips.
Sucks big time.

jackpunx
02-24-2004, 03:14 PM
Well.. when gas hits $3.. I'll just .. freaking pay it.. Thats when you start bringing all the friends that have always offerd to pay.. but didnt really want to hang out with them..

Tom Brown
02-24-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm glad I don't own a jet.

NOTALENT
02-24-2004, 03:15 PM
You know what we should start a gas strike get the word out and have the news be all over it...and choose a day or to where no one in this freakin nation buys gas...lol lets see what they would do those rat bastards.:mad:

Fiat48
02-24-2004, 03:17 PM
We are just being felt up to see what the max is we will pay before cutting back on consumption. They tested us at $2.00 last year and we balked a little...but kept on going. So now they squeeze some more. But $3.00...no. You have to skin the pig slowly.
Next year you'll hear someone say "Yeah, gas is down to 1.95 a gallon. Cheap!" Just before they spike it again.
It's a political thing and all about control and who has it.

Big Boys Toy PE857
02-24-2004, 03:30 PM
I recieved an e-mail today from a friend that made some sense to me. It said that if everyone would boycot buying gas from just Exxon and Mobile, which I assume are the same company from what the article said, that it would force Exxon to lower thier prices and the other companies would have to follow suit. As opposed to boycotting buying gas just one day a week which was a popular idea last time gas was out of sight. I'm not sure what the answer is but I think some kind of a united consumer front is going to be needed to see some action towards lowering prices. Seems like an issue that the presidential candidates should give thier opinions on. Just tired of feeling so gouged.

sorry dog
02-24-2004, 03:39 PM
I recieved an e-mail today from a friend that made some sense to me. It said that if everyone would boycot buying gas from just Exxon and Mobile, which I assume are the same company from what the article said, that it would force Exxon to lower thier prices and the other companies would have to follow suit.
I think that email has been around for a couple of years in various forms.
BTW- I agree that the retailers should be getting excellent market data on our demand habits. My boat doesn't use that much gas (relatively speaking - 4 mpg with a big wheel) so higher gas prices would only slightly modify my behavior (more Vodka- less gas in my basket of goods) :D

Pointerman
02-24-2004, 03:44 PM
Boycotting a gas station or not buying a certain day doesn't impact the refineries at all. You are merely buying the exact same amount of gas from a different station. The only way for prices to come down is for demand to decrease and that means everyone has to drive less.
This happens every year at this time though. As the refineries transition from the winter gas formula supplies get tight and prices go up. It will come back down again.

Havasu Cig
02-24-2004, 03:45 PM
There was a post about this on OSO this morning and a good point was made from somebody who's parents are in the business.
The off brand gas stations buy their gas from the Oil Companies such as Exxon & Mobile, so when you go to one of these stations they are still making their money.
Additionally, from someone who is currently looking at buying a station (or two), I can tell you that most of the stations are not corporate owned. They are owned by individual owners who for the most part set their price based on what they are paying for the fuel from the parent company.
The gross blended margins on most of the stations I have looked at is in the 10-12 cent range. There are exceptions, but the stations with margins in the 20-25 cent range are not pumping the same volume.
Most stations make more money off their stores, back rooms ect...
You need to look at OPEC and the supply caps they put on oil to drive the prices up.
the boycotts will hurt the owners more than the big oil companies. Just my opinion.

eliminatedsprinter
02-24-2004, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Big Boys Toy PE857
I recieved an e-mail today from a friend that made some sense to me. It said that if everyone would boycot buying gas from just Exxon and Mobile, which I assume are the same company from what the article said, that it would force Exxon to lower thier prices and the other companies would have to follow suit. As opposed to boycotting buying gas just one day a week which was a popular idea last time gas was out of sight. I'm not sure what the answer is but I think some kind of a united consumer front is going to be needed to see some action towards lowering prices. Seems like an issue that the presidential candidates should give thier opinions on. Just tired of feeling so gouged. [/QUOTE
Kerry has givin his opinion. In the past he has supported and attempted to legislate a $.50 per gallon tax increase on gas. He has also worked with and supprted those who view higher gas prices as a way to reduce traffic congestion and air pollution.

Ziggy
02-24-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
I'm glad I don't own a jet.
Thats why I changed to I/O late last year---wow what a change is gas useage.

welk2party
02-24-2004, 04:52 PM
I will complain the whole time I am sitting at the pump.

AzDon
02-24-2004, 05:08 PM
An effective boycott of the cheapest stations would have the best impact on driving prices down... as long as an increase in biz at the high-cost stations isn't percieved. My burb and dooley are parked and I'm only driving my Metro until this thing mellows out.
BTW- The "summer blend" gas produces lousier fuel mileage in every one of my vehicles and the price of this stuff is usually higher. Perhaps the better strategy is to buy and store quantities of winter gas and boycott all summer. Here's an idea.... A group purchasing and storage club for Havasu's summertime boaters that buys and stores winter fuel, condo style, for summer consumption! Kind of a vacation gas account!

j-rod
02-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by welk2party
I will complain the whole time I am sitting at the pump.
Filling up my jet boat!! :mad:

Krazy K
02-24-2004, 05:47 PM
Where are the g*ddam* electric Super Duty Fords when you need them???
Time to rev up the production of hybrids and electrics!!!
Yeah, boycotting a company or 2 won't do anything. They'll just sell to the other companies. Less gas consumption will lower the prices.

Mandelon
02-24-2004, 05:54 PM
I passed a station yesterday with gas at $2.49, $2.59 and $2.69. I don't think $3.00 is out of line.
I try to leave the F250 at home and drive the 4cyl Jeep as much as I can.
Please don't boycott Mobil/Exxon. I own stock there. Boycott Texaco instead....:D

coolchange
02-24-2004, 07:09 PM
What gets me is the people still standin on it on the fwy. to get 3 cars ahead and cut thier travel time by 1 minute 23 seconds. :rolleyes:

MagicMtnDan
02-24-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by coolchange
What gets me is the people still standin on it on the fwy. to get 3 cars ahead and cut thier travel time by 1 minute 23 seconds. :rolleyes:
Hey! I resemble that remark! :D I'll gladly pay a few pesos more for the gas I use to get around that jackass blocking the left lane doing 55MPH :mad:

MagicMtnDan
02-24-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Pointerman
This happens every year at this time though. As the refineries transition from the winter gas formula supplies get tight and prices go up. It will come back down again.
Sure, it will come back down but when? :mad:
I think there's a good chance it will stay up all the way through the summer. If not then it's safe to assume it will go back down and then spike again right before Memorial Day weekend and the "start of summer." Funny how the prices always go up right before people start driving more. (Not at all fockin' funny :mad: )

mmered8299
02-24-2004, 07:25 PM
Hey I got stock in Exxon and it sucks. If the price of gas goes up, why not the earnings/share too?:mad: :mad:

Mandelon
02-24-2004, 07:32 PM
Return is based on current profits and the market's perceived potential for future profits. Even though they charge more, they are probably paying more for the crude????
Either way, it makes me feel better to buy my gas there.

Kilrtoy
02-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Im going sailing instead.
NOT

boatnam2
02-24-2004, 07:35 PM
om my way home from work tonite the shell at 91 and lincoln prrice for premium was 3.59 a gallon.

Three Days Only
02-24-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by jackpunx
Well.. when gas hits $3.. I'll just .. freaking pay it.. Thats when you start bringing all the friends that have always offerd to pay.. but didnt really want to hang out with them..
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

OutCole'd
02-24-2004, 08:29 PM
I guess I should not complain. I am paying $1.99 now for the "cheap" stuff.

HammerDown
02-24-2004, 08:30 PM
What they do is raise the price sky high...then drop it a tad...but not so low as it was before the big hike. This way it appears like their cutting us a break...BS!
Guess I'll just float more.

phuggit
02-24-2004, 08:40 PM
I think I'll cruise leasurely up river to the sand bar. Then time it so I can float back down to the lake by dusk.:mad:

Kachina26
02-24-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
I'm glad I don't own a jet. I would be glad for that at .99 a Gal.

coolchange
02-24-2004, 09:32 PM
Hey MMDan was that you hittin 70 on the on ramp to the 5 that was dead stopped this evening?:D

DaveA
02-24-2004, 10:16 PM
I paid 1.39/gal for Shell regular yesterday in Charlotte...midgrade and premium were all .10/gal higher over each other.
Gas price war on Harris Blvd. Everywhere else is 1.57/1.61
I'm happy.:D
Or, more accurately, relieved.:D :D

cigarette1
02-25-2004, 01:27 AM
I was just in Arkansas today and the gas price at the CAR RENTAL return was only $1.31 .... WHY is it so high out here in SoCal :mad:

Kachina26
02-25-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by cigarette1
I was just in Arkansas today and the gas price at the CAR RENTAL return was only $1.31 .... WHY is it so high out here in SoCal :mad: Officially, because of the special formula for our gasoline. First they gouged us to put MTBE in then they gouged us to take it out. Now they are just gouging us because we can't go somewhere else. Tell me another business that can raise prices 25% in 3 weeks time without being drug before congress. Imagine if your groceries went up 25% in 3 weeks. OK.............better stop now or I'm gonna have serious road rage this morning. As for boycotts, they won't miss you, you have to come back eventually.

Tom Brown
02-25-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Kachina26
I would be glad for that at .99 a Gal.
Nasty! :D :D :D
I thought I could draw some fire with my jet comment. I guess people hate big oil more than they care about the tired old jet/prop shtick. :)

Pointerman
02-25-2004, 08:02 AM
Officially, because of the special formula for our gasoline. First they gouged us to put MTBE in then they gouged us to take it out. Now they are just gouging us because we can't go somewhere else. Tell me another business that can raise prices 25% in 3 weeks time without being drug before congress. Imagine if your groceries went up 25% in 3 weeks. OK.............better stop now or I'm gonna have serious road rage this morning. As for boycotts, they won't miss you, you have to come back eventually.
Additionally, California is an extremely high usage state. We only have a few refineries and they can't produce enough fuel to meet our demands so we have to purchase from out of state. If anything happens to one of the refineries and the flow is shut off or slowed down a shortage happens very quickly. This time of year they are starting to cut over to the less expensive to produce non-winter blend so their production capacity is reduced during the transition. This creates a shortage of supply, more gas has to be imported from other states and the prices go up.

Danhercules
02-25-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by boatnam2
om my way home from work tonite the shell at 91 and lincoln prrice for premium was 3.59 a gallon.
They guy is on crack all the time. He is usually .50 to .75 higher anyway.
BUT, when he hits 4.00, that means we are alll effed!!!
I dont get somthin though.........
I the stations fill there tanks, they buy the gas off the trucks, so, why do they raise the price everyday??? Do they fill the tank everyday? I would think the pice change would come when they fill up the tanks again and pay more for the gas.
Just somthin to think about. I could be way off, it just crossed my mind.

jerry billet
02-25-2004, 08:24 AM
Traded the 4 door dually chevy on gas, for a similar ford on diesel.
Doubled my mileage. And diesel is lower priced.
Can anyone explaine this? the price of racing fuel has not changed in 3 years. I expect it will increase soon because union/76 no longer makes racing fuel.

eliminatedsprinter
02-25-2004, 12:19 PM
Officially, because of the special formula for our gasoline. First they gouged us to put MTBE in then they gouged us to take it out. Now they are just gouging us because we can't go somewhere else. Tell me another business that can raise prices 25% in 3 weeks time without being drug before congress. Imagine if your groceries went up 25% in 3 weeks. OK.............better stop now or I'm gonna have serious road rage this morning. As for boycotts, they won't miss you, you have to come back eventually.

eliminatedsprinter
02-25-2004, 12:21 PM
Additionally, California is an extremely high usage state. We only have a few refineries and they can't produce enough fuel to meet our demands so we have to purchase from out of state. If anything happens to one of the refineries and the flow is shut off or slowed down a shortage happens very quickly. This time of year they are starting to cut over to the less expensive to produce non-winter blend so their production capacity is reduced during the transition. This creates a shortage of supply, more gas has to be imported from other states and the prices go up.
All of the above points are correct. Plus our state legislature is dominated by far left wing hacks who don't pay for their own gas and are blatently hostile twards individual motorists... :mad:

Mandelon
02-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Danhercules
They guy is on crack all the time. He is usually .50 to .75 higher anyway.
BUT, when he hits 4.00, that means we are alll effed!!!
I dont get somthin though.........
I the stations fill there tanks, they buy the gas off the trucks, so, why do they raise the price everyday??? Do they fill the tank everyday? I would think the pice change would come when they fill up the tanks again and pay more for the gas.
Just somthin to think about. I could be way off, it just crossed my mind.
I raised this point at my local station and the owner actually showed me his invoice from the driver. The station raises it only when the new trucks come in, and they go through a couple of trucks a day. They only make 3 or 4 cents markup per gallon. They make way more on pepsis and candy.

Rexone
02-25-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by jerry billet
Traded the 4 door dually chevy on gas, for a similar ford on diesel.
Doubled my mileage. And diesel is lower priced.
Can anyone explaine this? the price of racing fuel has not changed in 3 years. I expect it will increase soon because union/76 no longer makes racing fuel.
My guess is that it is subject to none of the emission additive requirement that pump gas in CA is. Probably isn't even made in CA. Refinery fluctuations probably don't affect it for that reason.
Or maybe they've been so busy gouging us on pump gas they've just overlooked this so far because they're busy counting the money.

bigq
02-25-2004, 11:28 PM
Sounds like it is the other way around according to AAA:
The main reason gas prices have increased locally and statewide, she said, is due to recent problems in California — Arizona receives 70 percent of its gasoline from the neighboring state. She said a recent problem at one California refinery, and a rumor of problems at another, drove up prices in that state 30 percent Friday.
Kinda weird that Arizona would get CA gas. I am liking my new diesel right now though. I still think they are taking advantage of us, happens every year.

OGShocker
02-26-2004, 06:55 AM
I love my DuraMax! :D
I'd pay $4.00.9 per gallon in the boat. Hell I have not been to the lake in so long I'd pay $10.00.9 pg just to go for a boat ride.