PDA

View Full Version : Place Diverter Installation?

miller19j
02-25-2004, 09:21 AM
I just bought a Hydraulic Place Diverter and the installation directions are a little vague. It has no mention of running the hydraulic lines and filling the system with hydraulic fluid. My question is do you need to bleed the lines to the hydraulic actuator and if so how do you go about that? Any input would be appreciated.

Cas
02-25-2004, 09:36 AM
Miller,
I just got the same thing. I'm assuming you bleed it by loosening the compression fittings on the cylinder. Looks like 2 people are needed to do it.
Yes/no?

toad polumsky
02-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Just install the diverter and the hydraulic pump, make all the hose connetions, then fill the pump with ATF. Wire up the unit then cycle it up and down several times making sure that the reservoir stays full. After about a dozen times all the air works its self out of the system.

miller19j
02-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Thanks that is exactly what I wanted to know.
I wish Place would have just put that into their documentation

kp216
02-25-2004, 10:54 AM
When I installed my Aggressor diverter, all I did was like Toad said. It works fine.
Also, I'm not sure about the Place, but I'm assuming it's like the Aggressor pump... use ATF.

Taylorman
02-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Let me know how you like it. That my next big purchase. What kind of switch are you using? Is it difficult to install the pump and wiring? Where did you buy it?

Jetdriver
02-25-2004, 11:13 AM
Tim Place told me to use ATF!

Taylorman
02-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
Tim Place told me to use ATF!
To use what?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
02-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Taylorman
To use what?
automatic transmission fluid......:)
not to be confused with alcohol, tobacco and firearms;)
Omega

miller19j
02-25-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Taylorman
Let me know how you like it. That my next big purchase. What kind of switch are you using? Is it difficult to install the pump and wiring? Where did you buy it? I am using a Rex Marine billet steering wheel mounted switch. I bought the unit from Rex as well. It looks pretty easy to install. I’ll let you know when I have finished.

kp216
02-25-2004, 01:03 PM
I'm using the switch that most guys use on their steering wheel, but since my boat uses a combination throttle/shifter, I had a shifter handle made from aluminum bar stock. It was threaded for the shifter, with the face milled flat, and the switch mounted to the face. It works great.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/327shifter_and_trim-med.jpg

Taylorman
02-25-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by miller19j
I am using a Rex Marine billet steering wheel mounted switch. I bought the unit from Rex as well. It looks pretty easy to install. I’ll let you know when I have finished.
Hey post a picture of that switch once you mounted it. You using the one with the curly wires or are you running the wires through the steering shaft?

miller19j
02-25-2004, 02:26 PM
No I took my steering column apart and bored out the shaft so I can run the wire through the center. Tonight I am going to machine a slot for the cable in the piece the wheel mounts to. It should be a pretty clean setup when I am done.
I will post some pictures when it is completed.

miller19j
02-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Here you go Taylorman,
Just finished mounting it last night.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/274trim6.jpg
Here is a post showing the whole process.
http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000020#000002

Cas
02-26-2004, 09:07 AM
Miller, that looks great! Good job!
Are you using the Diverter Power Relay from Banderlog? It pulls the power directly from the battery instead of the ignition switch. Less chance of burning the ignition switch out and/or intermitant power loss.

miller19j
02-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Cas
Miller, that looks great! Good job!
Are you using the Diverter Power Relay from Banderlog? It pulls the power directly from the battery instead of the ignition switch. Less chance of burning the ignition switch out and/or intermitant power loss. I was just going to mount it to my switched power on my terminal block. But now you got me thinking, How much power does this pump take does anyone know? Do you have any information on the Banderlog Relay this is the first I have heard of it?
I’m still trying to figure out where I am going to mount the pump. That thing is huge! I’m not real comfortable with the little plastic mounting bracket they have so I am probably going to make and aluminum mount for it.

miller19j
02-26-2004, 09:34 AM
Oh I almost forgot…..Thanks for the complement :)

Cas
02-26-2004, 09:40 AM
here's the link to the info
Banderlog Diverter Power Relay (http://www.banderlog.com/products/powerRelays/diverterPowerRelay/diverterPowerRelay.html)
here's a picture of it. It just plugs in between the male and female fittings of the wiring harness of the diverter.
http://www.banderlog.com/products/powerRelays/diverterPowerRelay/images/withLabel.jpg
oops, here's the wiring diagram, real easy plug and play
http://www.banderlog.com/products/powerRelays/diverterPowerRelay/images/installDiagram.gif

miller19j
02-26-2004, 12:19 PM
That’s a good idea but for $70 I can wire up my own relay. What can I say I‘m cheap. I think I will just wire it to my switched power and if I have problems make my own relay.
But thanks for the info!

wowchad
02-26-2004, 01:49 PM
The diverter control I sell has detents to set it at.
How does a hydr. one let you know where you are?
Is there an indicator?

miller19j
02-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by wowchad
The diverter control I sell has detents to set it at.
How does a hydr. one let you know where you are?
Is there an indicator? Yes there is an indicator that you can buy separately. It looks very similar to my small gauges (oil pressure, temp, voltage size). I have not gotten it yet. That will probably be my next addition.
As I have it right now I guess I will just go by feel.

ChetCapoli
02-26-2004, 09:06 PM
That’s a good idea but for $70 I can wire up my own relay. What can I say I‘m cheap.
If you were concerned about price at all, why didnt you look into the aggressor diverter? Has all those options as standard. It comes with the push button already wired into the harness and the pump mounting is aluminum not plastic.
just curious.
CHET

Jordy
02-26-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by ChetCapoli
If you were concerned about price at all, why didnt you look into the aggressor diverter? Has all those options as standard. It comes with the push button already wired into the harness and the pump mounting is aluminum not plastic.
just curious.
CHET
Jordy <-----just sitting here shaking his head. :rolleyes:

Cas
02-26-2004, 09:21 PM
well Chet, Aggressor couldn't come close to what I paid for mine. I did look into making the castings and pouring my own but that was way out of line pricewise and it also wasn't a very good use of time.
All in all, the Place Diverter suited my budget and my needs just fine.

miller19j
02-26-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by ChetCapoli
just curious.
CHET
Well to be honest with you I chose to buy my diverter from Rex Marine. If they were a distributor for aggressor I would have considered getting one. But they only carry Plaice and to the best of my knowledge they are a reputable brand so I decided to get a Plaice.
Why did I decide to take my business to Rex? Well I am old fashioned and the support he offers on the boards and the customer support his employees have always given me goes a long way to influence me. I take as much of my business as I can to Rex for this reason.

Taylorman
03-27-2004, 05:21 AM
Well to be honest with you I chose to buy my diverter from Rex Marine. If they were a distributor for aggressor I would have considered getting one. But they only carry Plaice and to the best of my knowledge they are a reputable brand so I decided to get a Plaice.
Why did I decide to take my business to Rex? Well I am old fashioned and the support he offers on the boards and the customer support his employees have always given me goes a long way to influence me. I take as much of my business as I can to Rex for this reason.
Well said. I recently bought new shift and throttle cables and bought from Rex for that reason. I went to West Marine here in town and they had no clue about these cables so i called up Rex. Great customer service.
Hey Miller19. Can you put up a picture of the back of your steering wheel. I want to see how you did the wiring from the switch into the steering column. My steering shaft is at the machine shop now being bored for the wires. Thanks.
I’m still trying to figure out where I am going to mount the pump. That thing is huge! I’m not real comfortable with the little plastic mounting bracket they have so I am probably going to make and aluminum mount for it.
Did you get the pump mounted up ok. Im thinking about mounting it under the transom behind my engine next to my MSD 6AL.

NorCal Gameshow
03-27-2004, 06:49 AM
a while back someone was selling "trim gauges for a diverter" a linear potentiometer hooked up to a cable connected to the diverter....with a standard trim gauge on the dash....i'll try to dig up the diagram...