PDA

View Full Version : The time is already here...

burbanite
02-25-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by burbanite
I see there are a few gun owners around here who no doubt support any moves to end the AWB. The common misconception is that we have until September to end this thing, actually the vote is next month so there is not a lot of time left to voice your opinion.
I make it part of my daily routine to let my elected representatives know how they should vote on all gun related issues. The AWB is not the only thing going on that will adversely affect your ability to defend yourself or to enjoy shooting sports.
Take the time to read through this link and please at least email your Senator/Congressman. There are multitudes of pre-written letters available if you do not want to compose your own.
Thanks for your support.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=226018&page=1
Today is the day, Senate leadership was scheduled to start discussions on this and related issues at 10:00am. I hope I did some good but judging by this email I received yesterday I did not do enough.
"Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 4:47 PM
Subject: From the Office of Senator Evan Bayh
February 24, 2004
Mr. ***** *****
145 ~~~~~ Street
=========, Indiana
Dear Mr. *****:
Thank you for your letter concerning the reauthorization of the
Assault Weapons Ban of 1994. I welcome your thoughts and comments.
The primary purpose of any gun control legislation must be to
keep firearms out of the hands of criminals or juveniles. Throughout my
public life, I have opposed legislation that fails to appropriately balance
the need to maintain a safe society with the ability of law-abiding
Americans to own and use firearms responsibly. I have always
supported the second amendment and have opposed efforts to impose
burdensome regulations on gun-owners. I believe that tough and
effective enforcement of existing firearms laws is the best way to save
lives.
As you may know, the Assault Weapons Ban passed as part of
the 1994 Crime Bill. This legislation prohibited the manufacture,
transfer or possession of 19 specifically named assault weapons, all
semi-automatic rifles and pistols that can accept a detachable magazine
and have at least two features outlined by the statute, and all large-
feeding ammunition devices. The Assault Weapons Ban will expire
after September 14, 2004 unless Congress and the President approve the
reauthorization of the law before this date.
While I was not a member of the Congress when this ban was
passed, I do plan to support the reauthorization of the Assault Weapons
Ban. In a post September 11th world, we simply cannot increase the
difficulties faced by our law enforcement community in keeping our
nation safe by allowing assault weapons to land in the hands of violent
criminals or would-be terrorists.
However, I would be reluctant to support efforts that would expand the
scope of this legislation or undermine the right of law-abiding citizens to
bear arms.
Thank you for taking the time to advise me on this important
matter. I value your input and hope that you will continue to share your
thoughts with me.
Again, thank you for contacting me. I hope that the information
that I have provided is helpful. My website, http://bayh.senate.gov, can
provide additional details about legislation and state projects, and you
can also sign up to receive my monthly e-newsletter, The Bayh Bulletin,
by clicking on the link at the top of my homepage. I value your input
and hope you will continue to keep me informed of the issues important
to you.
Best wishes,
Evan Bayh
United States Senator
EB/OH
Sincerely,
Evan Bayh"
It is far from sealed at this point, as the discussions continue more pressure must be applied to your State officials, call this number, 202-224-3121, ask for your Senators office and tell them what you want.
Check this out also (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67194)

MudPumper
02-25-2004, 12:25 PM
I'll post a story concerning an assault weapon later today!!!!

Pointerman
02-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Ummm... are you going to be the topic of the story? If so, where do you live so I can avoid the area?

carbonmarine
02-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Why Reauthorize ? That BS..... The lkaw was BS to begin with - Theres tons of ways around it and its a watse of the paper its written on and a waste of enforcement.... It's typical symbolizm over substance....
Rick32

Liberator TJ1984
02-25-2004, 12:40 PM
Sleeping with my AW is alot safer than sleeping with some "Ho" just picked up in a Bar.....
Guns kill people like Spoons made Rosie O'Donnel FAT:D :D :yuk:

MudPumper
02-25-2004, 12:53 PM
No, it has to do with an Ar15 I had to turn in for destruction.:frown: :mad: Actually did it on Monday.

burbanite
02-25-2004, 12:54 PM
Here is a link to the play by play...some funny stuff in here. Orin Hatch rocks!
Your representatives at work... (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?threadid=67252&perpage=25&pagenumber=1)

Liberator TJ1984
02-25-2004, 02:51 PM
Destroy:eek: Whats up with that ????
:confused: :mad:
I would have taken it off your hands:p for free
whats the scoop Mud Pumper:confused:

MudPumper
02-25-2004, 03:13 PM
Ok, heres the deal. I bought an AR-15 in Oct. of 99, just before the California assault weapons ban went into effect Jan 1st 2000. The sale was perfectly legal and I was very happy to add it to my collection of firearms. The dealer who sold it to me neglected to inform me that the new law required me to re-register the weapon in accordance with the new law. So for the past 5 years I was under the impression that it was registered in my name and my owning it in this communist state was legal.
I am currently getting hired with a local police department and one of the questions asked while having a background check conducted was, do you own any firearms? Thinking that the gun was in the system, I volunteered the information to them. Turns out it is not in the system because I didn't register it after the 2000 ban. :eek: So in order for me to get hired with this agency, I had to turn over for destruction the illegal assault rifle. Now, I have always believed in "You can have my guns when you pry them from my cold dead fingers," and it pained me greatly to turn it over to them, but in this case the job is more important. :mad:
The thing that really pisses me off is this. I explored every avenue to not turn the gun over. This included countless hours on the phone with gun dealers, local police agencies, and agents with the ATF. Every one of them told me the same thing. I can not sell or transfer it because of the law and how sorry they were because in all of their eyes, the CA law is bullshit. The agent from ATF told me that none of the cops he knows has registered their guns and he even had some that were never registered after the ban. My background investigator told me that personally he had no issue with me owning the rifle but obviously somebody higher up in the department would so in order to get this job, destruction was my only choice. It's just irritation when you talk to so many cops that say the ban is bullshit and does nothing to stop crime. If I had known the gun was not in the system I would have never told them I had it. Anyway, that is my story, sorry it was so long, thanks for listening.;)

BOBALOO
02-25-2004, 05:16 PM
that sux, I might have some pop guns that I had to re register in 2000 and if I had (theoretically) these guns I would hate to give them up. I remember some friends buying receivers for AR15s so they could build them later knowing they could not sell them after the ban.