PDA

View Full Version : Texas Trivia

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
02-26-2004, 05:15 AM
Known Facts 'bout Texas
Beaumont to El Paso: 742 miles Beaumont to Chicago: 770 miles
World's first rodeo was in Pecos... July 4, 1883.
The Flagship Hotel in Galveston is the only hotel in North America built over water.
The Heisman Trophy was named after John William Heisman who was the first full time coach for Rice University, Houston.
Brazoria County has more species of birds than any other area in North America.
Aransas Wildlife Refuge is the winter home of North America's only remaining flock of whooping cranes.
Jalapeno jelly originated in Lake Jackson in 1978.
The worst natural disaster in U.S. history was in 1900 caused by a hurricane in which over 8000 lives were lost on Galveston Island.
The first word spoken from the moon, July 20, 1969, was "Houston."
El Paso is closer to California than to Dallas.
Laredo is the world's largest inland port.
Tyler Municipal Rose Garden is the world's largest rose garden with over 38,000 bushes with 500 varieties on 22 acres.
The State shell is Lightning Whelk.
King Ranch is larger than Rhode Island.
Tropical Storm Claudette brought a U.S. rainfall record of 43" in
24 hours in and around Alvin in July 1979.
Texas is the only state to enter the U.S. by TREATY, instead of by annexation. (This allows the Texas flag to fly at the same height as the US flag.)
A Live Oak tree near Fulton is estimated to be 1500 years old.
Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.
Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. There is no period after Dr in Dr Pepper. dr pepper
Texas has had six capital cities ...
1. Washington-on-the-Brazos
2. Harrisburg
3. Galveston
4. Velasco
5. West Columbia
6. Austin
The Capitol Dome in Austin is the only dome in the U.S. which is taller than the Capitol Building in Washington D.C. (by 7 feet).
The name Texas comes from the Hasini Indian word "tejas" meaning friends. Tejas is not Mexican for Texas.
The State animal is the Armadillo. *
The first domed stadium in the U.S. was the Astrodome in Houston.
*An interesting bit of trivia about the armadillo is they always have four babies! They have one egg which splits into four and they either have four males or four females. Well... I thought it was interesting anyway!
Omega

JetBoatRich
02-26-2004, 07:52 AM
*An interesting bit of trivia about the armadillo is they always have four babies! They have one egg which splits into four and they either have four males or four females. Well... I thought it was interesting anyway!
Never new that:rolleyes: sure is interesting:wink:

uvindex
02-26-2004, 08:04 AM
(This allows the Texas flag to fly at the same height as the US flag.)
I'm not trying to "mess with Texas" but someone didn't do their homework when making the statement above...
Flag etiquette requires only that flags of states and other countries be flown no higher than the US flag (in other words, it is OK to fly any state flag, not just Texas, at the same height as the US flag.) The other requirement is that the US flag be placed in the position of honor - to its own right.
If the US flag and a state flag are on the same halyard then the US flag must be above the state flag, of course.
Interesting post. :)

Scream
02-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.
It's not a lake, it's more like a long fat river with aligators, spanish moss and hush puppies...

spectratoad
02-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Scream
It's not a lake, it's more like a long fat river with aligators, spanish moss and hush puppies...
Now that would make for some interesting skiing. Wouldn't want to fall.:D

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
02-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Only 2 things come from Texas... (anybody?)
RD :D
Dr Pepper and jalepeno jelly....LOL:) I got it in an email and thought it was interesting
Omega

dimarcobros
02-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Steers and queers!!!
DMB

Liberator TJ1984
02-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by dimarcobros
Steers and queers!!!
DMB
Rather be from TEXAS than Cali. where a Queer can get Married!
:yuk:
California is screwing up the rest of the states....faggots and gun laws, Etc... hurry up and slide into the Ocean , do the rest of us a Favor:rolleyes:

Sleek-Jet
02-26-2004, 02:01 PM
The first words spoken from the surface of the moon was Buz Aldrin saying "contact light" as the probes on the Eagle lander touched the surface.

dimarcobros
02-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Liberator TJ1984
Rather be from TEXAS than Cali. where a Queer can get Married!
:yuk:
California is screwing up the rest of the states....faggots and gun laws, Etc... hurry up and slide into the Ocean , do the rest of us a Favor:rolleyes:
Valid point, but for the record that was a line from Full Metal Jacket.:rolleyes:
DMB

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
02-26-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by dimarcobros
Steers and queers!!!
DMB
well.....you know how they seperate the men from the boys in Cali??? with a crowbar
you know why California is called the cereal state? there is fruits and nuts mixed in with all the flakes.
you know why they call the machine that loads fuel on to jet planes the California machine? because it blows and sucks!
we can go on if you like:p
Texas rocks!! 'you my friend don't have what it takes to live here'
Omega

Liberator TJ1984
02-26-2004, 03:00 PM
I always carry a long stick.....just to stir the pot;) :D :D

DiverDown
02-26-2004, 06:02 PM
I for one am Damn Proud to be a Texan!

Mark Sims
02-26-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm damn glad to be a Texan too. #$!% everybody else.

j-rod
02-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Here is some Texas trivia for yo'all last year it this time, I was in Texas (Hemphill) picking up space shuttle parts. The people were
really intresting and the astrounauts were thankfull. It was very rewarding and something I'm glad I did to get the space program moving ahead again.. :) I learned what a "whacker" is also, damn brior patches !