PDA

View Full Version : Broke down Dodge

djdtpr
12-25-2005, 09:27 PM
Today the wife and i were headed home after having breakfast and all the suden my truch just shut off like someone just turned the key off.It is a 2001 dodge diesel,has anyone else had any problems with these trucks?I definatly think that this will be the last dodge i ever buy it has been nothing but a pain in my a** from day one.Any help or advice would be apreciated.
Thanks
Danny

Squirtin Thunder
12-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Danny just piss on the tire and let Jay take it off your hands.

djdtpr
12-25-2005, 10:56 PM
Jim thats probably what i need to do this thing has been a pile O junk from day one.I had to get rid of the chip cause it was eating up trannys the power windows took a dump and i had to replace the regulators in those and now this.Fine piece of american made junk.

Outnumbered
12-26-2005, 07:29 AM
Of all days for a car to break down mine decided that today was the day.It just turned off like someone just shut the key off.It is a 2002 dodge diesel,has anyone else had any problems with theirs?This will be the last dodge i ever buy this thing has been a pile since it was new.Any advice would be apreciated.
Thanks,
DannyChevy Trucks must suck too then:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99014

bigq
12-26-2005, 08:21 AM
Jim thats probably what i need to do this thing has been a pile O junk from day one.I had to get rid of the chip cause it was eating up trannys the power windows took a dump and i had to replace the regulators in those and now this.Fine piece of american made junk.
I think if you want a real "American Made" truck, then buy a Nissan ot Toyota and stay away from the so called big 3. :cool:

Nubbs
12-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Does it still turn over? If so, I'm guessing the lift pump died. The lift pump feeds the injection pump. I've seen it before where the lift pump will die and the truck won't run. Keep us posted.

PHX ATC
12-26-2005, 07:59 PM
I would guarantee it...lift pump toasted and probably took the injector pump with it.
What is your fuel pressure?
Pull the codes off your odometer and let me know what they are.

dtr352
12-26-2005, 08:53 PM
A friend had a similar problem on a ford diesel. Ended up being a cam sensor. Not sure if its the same for you though.

djdtpr
12-27-2005, 01:34 PM
The lift pump has about 4 lbs of pressure.I pulled the codes and they are P1688,P1689 which both i have gathered as injection pump failure.Thanks for the replys i apreciate it.
Danny

PHX ATC
12-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Exactly as I thought. You should be pulling at least 15 pounds at idle and no less than 8 to 10 at WOT.
Yes, those codes are for the dreaded injector pump issue. I would replace the lift pump first, look at the fuel pressure and see how (if) it runs, then replace the injector pump if it needs it.
Is it still under warranty? The injector pump is a HORRIBLE design and a known weak spot in the Cummins. If it's not under warranty, check with Cummins direct, a dealer, I mean, as you can get them cheaper there than Dodge. I've heard it's a relatively easy job that can be done in a day if you're mechanically inclined.

PHX ATC
12-27-2005, 05:55 PM
www.dieseltruckresource.com has some good info on it as well.

djdtpr
12-27-2005, 11:47 PM
Thanks PHX ATC i apreciate th eresponse. It looks pretty simple to replace.I have don them before on a couple fords and a couple dodges that i have owned previously and they are fairly simple.I am going to try the lift pump then if it wont run i will install the inj. pump.

MikeF
12-28-2005, 06:44 PM
PHX ATC! What happens to the lift pump that ends up taking out the inj pump? Is there a way to keep it from happening?
Danny, what is the pump that you have on that truck? Kinda want to know if mine is the same! Have not looked into it. :boxed:

djdtpr
12-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Mike mine is the vp44 injection pump and it has an electric lift pump which is basicall a carter electric fuel pump.When the lift pump gets weak it starves the inj. pump for fuel which also lubricates it.After a while of that the inj. pump craps out on ya.Yours is still the 12 valve motor isnt it?They dont have this issue at all.

MikeF
12-28-2005, 10:44 PM
They dont have this issue at all.
SWEET!
It's got that mechanical lift pump on it. Had me a little concerned about my possible baja trip at the end of next month. :)
Hope yours holds together (like it's supposed to!). :boxed:

PHX ATC
12-29-2005, 07:40 AM
What he said.
The lift pump is a pulling pump, while a decent engineer would've put a pusher style pump on there to keep constant pressure. Duh!
If you have a 12 valver, you're good to go.
Next lesson, the Killer Dowel Pin! :)

djdtpr
01-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Next lesson, the Killer Dowel Pin! :)
Oh this is a good one,ive heard about this.Grab a seat Mikey your gonna want to hear this. :crossx:

MikeF
01-05-2006, 11:13 AM
I only know what I have read about it too. I have yet to check the one on mine, but w/ 180k+ on this engine, it may have been fixed already, or just about to fall out. :skull:
I DO need to look into it though. :) Gotta adj the valves(check) and replace the fuel filter............it's time! :cool:

Run_em_Hard
01-06-2006, 05:29 AM
A 2001 should not have any killer dowl pin(KDP) problems, so don't worry. Also the lift pump is the only faulty thing on that truck. You say that you had to remove the chip cause you kept going through trannys, well upgrade your tranny, tourqe converter and valve bodie, not put another stock one in. The fuel delivery set up sucks(all bosch) just like PHX ATC stated about the fuel pressure is correct. The best ugrade any diesel owner can do is get some gauges. Fuel pressure, EGT, and either boost of tranny temp. Put that chip back on and go and buy a triple lock tourqe converter that can handle that power. Check out http://www.dieselpp.com/ to fix your fuel delivery issues and http://www.dieseltrans.com/ for your tranny probs. Any other questions, PM me.

STV_Keith
01-06-2006, 09:16 AM
DJD, 4psi is way low. Sounds like the lift pump is gone and it took the injection pump with it, which is not uncommon (as PHX ATC said). I can get you a deal on the parts if you need a VP44. The best deal on the lift pump is direct from Cummins, around $140. PM me if you want a price on the VP44.

Run_em_Hard
01-06-2006, 09:49 AM
DJD, 4psi is way low. Sounds like the lift pump is gone and it took the injection pump with it, which is not uncommon (as PHX ATC said). I can get you a deal on the parts if you need a VP44. The best deal on the lift pump is direct from Cummins, around $140. PM me if you want a price on the VP44.
If you are ever going to change the lift pump don't even bother going with a stocker. At the very least buy a carter 4601 pump and relocate it at the take, which would make the system a push not a pull(which is best). If you want a nice system spend a little money and buy a FASS sysem www.dieselpp.com there is nothing better. I have one on my truck, with injectors, and an edge comp at wide open I have never seen below 15 psi of fuel, idle at about 20. The FASS has ,I think, a 600,000 mile warranty. The only reason that you will ever have to replace a Injector pump is fuel. Whether it running it out of fuel, not enough fuel(lift pump bad), or bad fuel. Other than that they will last.

Run_em_Hard
01-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Even better.....read, everyone read.
http://www.dodgedieseldatabase.com/fuel_delivery.htm

djdtpr
01-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the info on all this stuff guys.I ordered what they call the hot rod pump and i am installing a walbro pump at the back of the truck.I also am gettin rid of the banjo fittings and going with AN fittings so the fuel flows better with less resistance.I talked to the guy at Diesel Performance Warehouse and he was as helpfull as they get.I may have to install a bypass regulator just in front of the injection pump but they said that after that i will never drop below 15 lbs of pressure even at WOT.

Wild Horses
01-07-2006, 12:09 PM
MikeF
If you are not absolutely sure your have had your dowel pin fixed or repaired, You would be very wise to have it fixed so you don't have to repair it later.
I lost my dowel pin at about 160,000. It is a major repair because you will have to remove your camshaft which means you either pull down you whole frontend (this is what I did) or pull the motor. The fix will cost you a couple hundred bucks but the repair will be a couple thousand. (that is to have someone else do it for you) Turbo Diesel Registry magazine (online) has some good info on these things for doing it yourself.
Clint

SeaSlut
01-07-2006, 09:37 PM
http://xj.cdevco.net/auto/fuelsystem/

MikeF
01-09-2006, 07:11 PM
MikeF
If you are not absolutely sure your have had your dowel pin fixed or repaired, You would be very wise to have it fixed so you don't have to repair it later.
I lost my dowel pin at about 160,000. It is a major repair because you will have to remove your camshaft which means you either pull down you whole frontend (this is what I did) or pull the motor. The fix will cost you a couple hundred bucks but the repair will be a couple thousand. (that is to have someone else do it for you) Turbo Diesel Registry magazine (online) has some good info on these things for doing it yourself.
Clint
Gonna check into this on my truck. I've seen that site before and checked it out today. Looks like the easiest method is to just peen the end of the hole so the pin can't work it's way out. Saw a TST kit for this problem. I'll likely just buy the front seal and gasket/gasket material from the dealer.
Thanx! :)

Outnumbered
01-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the info on all this stuff guys.I ordered what they call the hot rod pump and i am installing a walbro pump at the back of the truck.I also am gettin rid of the banjo fittings and going with AN fittings so the fuel flows better with less resistance.I talked to the guy at Diesel Performance Warehouse and he was as helpfull as they get.I may have to install a bypass regulator just in front of the injection pump but they said that after that i will never drop below 15 lbs of pressure even at WOT.
Why spend all that money if you are trading in on a Chevy/Izusu-D-max :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PHX ATC
01-10-2006, 06:35 AM
Before you adventure into the KDP issue...check your VIN and engine # to make sure you even fall into the category of having that issue. With waaaaaaaaay early production 2001's, there might have been an issue, but the midseason and late bloomers wouldn't have that issue. If you have 4 wheel disc brakes, it's a 2001 1/2 and you wouldn't have the KDP issue at all.
I would venture to bet that you won't have that issue, but check the VIN and block ID's to make sure. TDR or DTR or the diesel crazy websites will have the ID and VIN ranges listed for you.
Sounds like a good plan with the pusher pump, new fittings, and everything else. If you plan on keeping the truck, spend the $100 or so and get a fuel gauge on it, if you haven't already.
:rollside:

Wild Horses
01-10-2006, 06:46 AM
Before you adventure into the KDP issue...check your VIN and engine # to make sure you even fall into the category of having that issue. With waaaaaaaaay early production 2001's, there might have been an issue, but the midseason and late bloomers wouldn't have that issue. If you have 4 wheel disc brakes, it's a 2001 1/2 and you wouldn't have the KDP issue at all.
I would venture to bet that you won't have that issue, but check the VIN and block ID's to make sure. TDR or DTR or the diesel crazy websites will have the ID and VIN ranges listed for you.
Sounds like a good plan with the pusher pump, new fittings, and everything else. If you plan on keeping the truck, spend the $100 or so and get a fuel gauge on it, if you haven't already.
:rollside:
MikeF has the 12 valve according to an earlier post, which means killer dowel pin. The 24 valve started in 1998 1/2 and is rarely affected from what I hear.
Clint

garret
01-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Today the wife and i were headed home after having breakfast and all the suden my truch just shut off like someone just turned the key off.It is a 2001 dodge diesel,has anyone else had any problems with these trucks?I definatly think that this will be the last dodge i ever buy it has been nothing but a pain in my a** from day one.Any help or advice would be apreciated.
Thanks
Danny
If you dont get your truck( and you spell truck with a k not an h and sudden has two d's stupid) fixed my toyota will make sure your boat makes it to the water!!!!!

PHX ATC
01-18-2006, 06:09 AM
If you dont get your truck( and you spell truck with a k not an h and sudden has two d's stupid) fixed my toyota will make sure your boat makes it to the water!!!!!
Don't should have an apostrophe between the n and t.
Toyota should have an uppercase T, it's a proper noun.
Nanny nanny boo boo. :rollside:

CA Stu
01-19-2006, 05:48 PM
My VP44 shit its pants too.
2001 Dodge 2500, 57,000 miles.
The bronze bushing failed, had it replaced with one of the newer (steel I think?) bushings.
Now, after all that is said and done, I had bypassed the stock lift pump system with a $600+ FASS system, and the mechanic says I have a whopping 7 psi at the VP44's inlet? WTF?
I know that isn't enough fuel to run a VP44 right...
Great.
Also, for those poor bastards like me that bought into Banks' claim that their kits don't void warranties, that is pure and unadulterated BS.
Moss Motors laughed at me, said that if the injector pump wire is pierced, the warranty is void. I called Banks and got some condescending arrogant twerp on the phone that really rubbed me the wrong way. No help at all, just pis.sed me off. Promised to send me some paperwork, never saw one piece of paper from them, and the guy was a total jackass to boot.
Straight up, Banks lied to me, I got screwed for the cost of their warranty-voiding kit (never would have bought it if I knew it would void my 100,000 mile warranty :mad: ) , and I'm out about another $1900 after all the repairs.... They are going to have one hell of a long wait for me to ever spend another penny with their company.
Thanks
CA Stu

PHX ATC
01-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Anything that pierces the wire will void el warrante. (Misspelled on purpose)
I'm not a big Banks fan.

SeaSlut
01-24-2006, 02:38 AM
My VP44 shit its pants too.
2001 Dodge 2500, 57,000 miles.
The bronze bushing failed, had it replaced with one of the newer (steel I think?) bushings.
Now, after all that is said and done, I had bypassed the stock lift pump system with a $600+ FASS system, and the mechanic says I have a whopping 7 psi at the VP44's inlet? WTF?
I know that isn't enough fuel to run a VP44 right...
Great.
Thanks
CA Stu
Dump the banjo bolts!! Pressure will come up.