PDA

View Full Version : Boating Question.....

FRANK THE TANK
02-26-2004, 07:16 PM
I have read the boating book from the Department of Waterways that the state puts out since I'm a beggining boater. Here's a question I have that was not covered in their literature. What does it mean when someone raises one arm while passing a boat that has a water skier in the weater? This is one of the hand signals this book didn't cover.
Thanks for the 411!

Dr. Eagle
02-26-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by FRANK THE TANK
I have read the boating book from the Department of Waterways that the state puts out since I'm a beggining boater. Here's a question I have that was not covered in their literature. What does it mean when someone raises one arm while passing a boat that has a water skier in the weater? This is one of the hand signals this book didn't cover.
Thanks for the 411!
That is an unofficial courtesy to notify the ski boat that you see that they have a skier in the water.

FRANK THE TANK
02-26-2004, 07:18 PM
Thanks. That's what I thought but I didn't want to be the novice idiot who was doing the wrong thing.

j-rod
02-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
That is an unofficial courtesy to notify the ski boat that you see that they have a skier in the water.
What if there's a finger involved also? :D

Dr. Eagle
02-26-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by j-rod
Generally that is not a courtesy....
But it does impart a message...
:p :eek: :D

FRANK THE TANK
02-26-2004, 07:21 PM
Then that means I did something wrong? Doesn't it? :confused:

Dr. Eagle
02-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Usually...:p

fourspeednup
02-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Nawwww, they're just saying "You're #1!"

j-rod
02-26-2004, 07:25 PM
LMAO :D

CA Stu
02-26-2004, 07:42 PM
If they're skinheads wearing boots, it means "Heil Hitler".
If they're black and it's a fist, it means "Black Power".
If they have a rainbow flag and they're waving, it means they think you're handsome.
Hope this helps
CA Stu:)

Kilrtoy
02-26-2004, 08:00 PM
What do you think you are at a boating web site,
This is HOT BOAT.COM
not find out about boating....:D J/K

j-rod
02-26-2004, 08:07 PM
IS IT BAD!! ( In my best Frank the Tank voice)
I'm still learning too.... L.O.L.

Kachina26
02-26-2004, 08:12 PM
What if there's a finger involved also? :D That means you are skiing in a no wake zone

hd&boatrider
02-26-2004, 08:12 PM
Yep....They should put it in the book though.

Danhercules
02-26-2004, 08:55 PM
I hate when the passanger put the hand up. So what if some one riding in the boat see's. The driver should be the only one.

Kachina26
02-27-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Danhercules
I hate when the passanger put the hand up. So what if some one riding in the boat see's. The driver should be the only one. My buddy used to get on me for having the old lady do it, but sometimes (when the diehards are skiing in the chop) I couldn't put my hand up long enough for anyone to see it.

Danhercules
02-27-2004, 07:43 AM
Never thought of that one.

MudPumper
02-27-2004, 07:47 AM
My buddy got a new girlfriend who had never been in a boat before and she was impressed that we knew everybody on the lake. They waved at us and we waved at them. LMAO. We finally told her what it meant and she was embarrassed.:D

Havasu Hangin'
02-27-2004, 07:53 AM
Raising your arm means that you see the rope...
...and you have first dibs on running it over.

Havasu Cig
02-27-2004, 07:54 AM
We were running in San Diego Harbor and my other half was waiving at a sailboat. I asked her what she was doing and she said she was waiving back. I had to tell her that they were giving us the finger.:D

Scream
02-27-2004, 08:18 AM
Don't you thinks that in this way Boaters act like Motorcyclists...When I'm out on a ride, I've gotta wave at eveyone on a bike to be PC. I feel the same way when I'm going through the gorge or zippin past the sand bar. For some reason when we get on the water, we act like we're in Texas.

Dr. Eagle
02-27-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Scream
Don't you thinks that in this way Boaters act like Motorcyclists...When I'm out on a ride, I've gotta wave at eveyone on a bike to be PC. I feel the same way when I'm going through the gorge or zippin past the sand bar. For some reason when we get on the water, we act like we're in Texas.
Or maybe like the Jeep Wave....:D

coolchange
02-27-2004, 08:25 AM
I don't know why but this thread is crackin me up. Guess I needed a laugh this morning.

AquaBoogie
02-27-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Raising your arm means that you see the rope...
...and you have first dibs on running it over.
LMAO.

Cas
02-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Or maybe like the Jeep Wave....:D
is that when the top and doors are on or off?
makes a difference in the wave ya know

bocco
02-27-2004, 08:47 AM
That's for the wakeboard boat that just swamped your boat.

welk2party
02-27-2004, 10:42 AM
I always laugh at my wifr because she is the first to put her hand up when shes skiers. I ask her if she knows that I can see the skier too.