PDA

View Full Version : Does my new Shockwave 25 Tremor qualify as an offshore?

hd&boatrider
02-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Just wondering....I know it can make the Catalina runs but other than that what do you guys think?

Akamatsu
02-27-2004, 09:26 AM
I would say sure. If you can make the trip to Catalina, I would say yes...
I don't know that there is a definition of "offshore sport boat" that needs to be strictly adhered to.:confused: You do have offshore tips, right?:D :D :D
Congrats on the new purchase. Hope to see some pictures of the new ride soon.

Hermosa
02-27-2004, 09:49 AM
Gene at Howard used to go over to Catalina in a 22' boat (Howard 22' off Shore) all the time, he used to have a slip in Marina Del Rey. Hell, I have a guy that works for me that takes his 18' Bayliner over on a monthly basis. You would never catch me doing that, but the simple rule is if you know the conditions, times to go and know what you are doing, you could do it in anything. I'm a pussy, anything under 30' would make me a little nervous.

Havasu Cig
02-27-2004, 10:01 AM
I used to run my 18' CC fishing boat over there. If you have enough freeboard it is no problem.

spectras only
02-27-2004, 10:28 AM
when the water smooth , you can go to catalina in a mini schiada:D . If you can go from miami to nassau in rough condition ,you can call your boat an offshore .I crossed the georgia strait [ 27 miles] many times in my low profile 20' spectra.Best time to cross is early mornings when you'll have the long waives instead of the rotten 3 way crosschops during the day. Cig , buddy of mine has a Donzi 33 and sh.....g bricks with water coming right over the boat , coming back from his vancouver island cottage. He's building a boat now [similar size as the donzi ] with a fully enclosed canopy with popout roofs and long hatches ,so he can commute every weekend without the worry of getting cought in some 15+ footers:eek: .The georgia strait is protected by vancouver island , but you can have worse conditions there than the other side with the open ocean.

Havasu Cig
02-27-2004, 10:46 AM
That is some scarry $hit. The only time I have taken water over the bow on our Gun was when we hit a Yacht wake off of San Diego. The boat tripped a little off the first wake, then plowed into the second one. For a second I thought we were going to stuff it.
If not for boating at Havasu I might consider a canopied boat. There is a Canopied Gladiator for sale on OSO that would make a nice pleasure boat. Runs 100 mph with staggered 500's, on board air system ect....Put some A/C in it and it would be a fun boat for the ocean. Havasu is just to hot.:cool:

spectras only
02-27-2004, 11:28 AM
Yeah, stuffing a wake can make or brake your day;) :D . I would be concerned to run the open bow type boats in bluwater ,even if they're above 25 feet.The snap on covers would do no good against a wall of water. Lot of people underestimate the power and weight of the water.

Havasu Cig
02-27-2004, 02:47 PM
I agree.:cool:

Steamin' Rice
02-27-2004, 04:16 PM
HD,
Just get your boat out there and use it. Check the conditions before heading out and don't go out if it is too nasty. Most of the times I have been out here in the ocean it hasn't been too bad, but there have been a couple of days when I took a few waves over the deck of my 29 and I was glad to have a closed bow boat. :o
Let Barry know when you're ready and I'm sure he'll hook you up for some ocean trips.. :D

hd&boatrider
02-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Steamin' Rice
HD,
Just get your boat out there and use it. Check the conditions before heading out and don't go out if it is too nasty. Most of the times I have been out here in the ocean it hasn't been too bad, but there have been a couple of days when I took a few waves over the deck of my 29 and I was glad to have a closed bow boat. :o
Let Barry know when you're ready and I'm sure he'll hook you up for some ocean trips.. :D
Thanks guys....I will probably make that Catalina run maybe 3-4 times a year. More if I didn't have to tow in back from Bullhead. I plan on trying to make a run with Barry and a few others eventually. I like how they make sure to stick together to help each other if need be. Safety first when you take on the ocean.

shockwavebd
02-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Me and the wife went out today..................there was some big water so we stayed in the break water by the queen and had a four hour day on the water including lunch and had a great time you just have pick your catalina days.........some time's you can and some time's you can't..............:D
Does your boat qualify as off shore......................my does on a weekly basis..............:eek:

Havasu Luvr
03-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by shockwavebd
Me and the wife went out today..................there was some big water so we stayed in the break water by the queen and had a four hour day on the water including lunch and had a great time you just have pick your catalina days.........some time's you can and some time's you can't..............:D
Does your boat qualify as off shore......................my does on a weekly basis..............:eek:
Barry, sorry we miss you yesterday. Water was BIG, all the way past the shipping lanes it was 4-6 swells with 2-3 wind chop...ROUGH ! ! ! but 5 miles before the island it was smooth. Coming back it was great, no white caps and 3-4 swells.

hd&boatrider
03-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by shockwavebd
Thanks Barry....I plan on tagging along some day and learning a few things from you guys. I plan on being within viewing distance also. That ocean......I don't want to get lost...lol