PDA

View Full Version : Learning to ski...

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 02:44 PM
I've never skied before since as a kid we boated on casitas(no body contact) but now that I have my own boat I want to learn before I get any older. Is there any chance I could start on a single ski? There is a nice one at the river house already.:cool:

Chase
02-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Learn to wakeboard...so much more fun, and physically easier on the body

jackpunx
02-27-2004, 02:48 PM
you wont have a problem with either.. but I think wake boarding is a little easier.. just takes some upper body strength to get up.. then you cool.. Try it this year.. I'll bring my board to spring break.

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 02:48 PM
I have an 18 ft jetboat...no wake but I guess it would make learning easier:cool:

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by jackpunx
you wont have a problem with either.. but I think wake boarding is a little easier.. just takes some upper body strength to get up.. then you cool.. Try it this year.. I'll bring my board to spring break.
Cool! You can watch me eat shit, should be pretty amusing!:D

jackpunx
02-27-2004, 02:50 PM
Oh Hell no.. I'll take pictures so that everyone can see:D

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Allright! That's even better, at least I can watch! Better drink some more beer...don't want my shorts falling down what with that cold river water:eek:

Outnumbered
02-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Chase
Learn to wakeboard...so much more fun, and physically easier on the body
Absolutely,
Since I learned to wakeboard about 7 years ago I have not skied. I had/have a nice HO slalom ski that I have not used since 1997. Wakeboard is way more fun and less fatigue.
If you do decide to ski I would try a set of doubles and then get that down before you do a single. Unless you weight 140# you will get very frustrated trying to learn on a single first.
Have fun,
OL

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Cool, sounds like wakeboarding is the way to go:cool:

Sleek-Jet
02-27-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by fourspeednup
Cool, sounds like wakeboarding is the way to go:cool:
Well if you do that, you might as well get a rainbow sticker for the boat. :D
Seriously, I would learn to do both, but personally I live to ski when I go boating. You can learn to get up slalom, but it would be easier to get your sea legs on doubles, then start the single ski shit. The biggest advantage to learning to ski is having a driver that knows what they are doing.
Get up on doubles for a couple times, learn what it feels like to get pulled around, how your boat pulls ya out of the water, that kind of stuff. The you can learn to slalom, either by dropping one or deep starting (or if your at true masocist, beach starting).
Good luck.

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 03:39 PM
(or if your at true masocist, beach starting).
I have been accused of being a sadomasocist on occasion...
Slalom looks like a lot more fun than wakeboarding behind a wakeless boat. I'll try out whatever I can and get some pics taken so you can see me fall and look stupid:D

phebus
02-27-2004, 03:39 PM
In the past, I would have definately reccomended going with a set of doubles before using a slalom ski, but the new widebody slalom ski's are so easy to get up on, that I wouldn't waste my time learning on doubles. Either that, or a wakeboard, but I'm an old school guy, and I still prefer skiiing to wakeboarding.

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 03:45 PM
What do I do? My friend used to pull his dad around all the time so that's good, but he doesn't know the first thing about actually skiing.
So I'm sitting in the water, holding the rope, ski(s) out front. He gets on it and I just hang on...:confused:

burtandnancy
02-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Sleek Jet (with the cool P-38-B) is on the right track, let me add another step from an old skier to an improved skier: start on the doubles or board to get the idea, then go to beach starts with a driver who knows how to do it. Then switch to the Aussie style with the handles behind your butt (like ski racers) and see the vast difference. No back aches, no sprained shoulders, no long drags, and best of all, you can use this style with an under- powered boat or a full on 1200 hp second gear starting ski racer. Once you ski Aussie style, you won't go back...

Mohavekid
02-27-2004, 03:56 PM
Knees bent, arms straight, push down somewhat with your back foot.
A single handle rope should be on your weak side. If you ski right foot forward, the rope should be on the left side of the ski. Left foot forward, the rope should be on the right side of the ski. With double handles the ski should be in the middle.
Driver should start off at a medium pace. A jet boat with the gas mashed to the floor accelerates too quickly for most slalom beginners to hold on. The driver should watch the skier and "roll" into the throttle as the skier starts to plane out on top of the water. Too much gas and the skier is pulled over the front of the ski, too little gas and the skier drags. It's different for each skier and boat. Smoothness with the throttle is helpful.
It's not hard, but does take some practice.
Good luck.

Sleek-Jet
02-27-2004, 04:12 PM
What do I do? My friend used to pull his dad around all the time so that's good, but he doesn't know the first thing about actually skiing.
So I'm sitting in the water, holding the rope, ski(s) out front. He gets on it and I just hang on...:confused:
Well, yes... the trick is knowing when your going fast enough to stand up (the ski's get on plane). With double it's pretty easy to figure this out since you'll probably pop out before the boat get's up on plane. When you're sitting there, bend your knees till they almost touch your chest (like your crouched in the water), this will point the tips of the ski's down, till they are out of the water just a little bit. Have the driver take all the slack out of the rope!! When the rope gets taught, make sure your lined up with the boat, the yell for your buddy to get on it (HIT IT, or something like that). As soon as the ski's start to come out of the water, you can start to stand up, but like I said, on doubles this will be pretty quick. Try it a few times and you'll see what I mean.
The trick with deep-starting on one is knowing when your going fast enough to stand up and be able to keep your balance, and staying straight, and keeping from drinking half the lake, ect... It usually takes a little work to deep start on one, but it's worth it.
Oh yeah, get an observer that knows what they are doing also, they can give the driver info on how your getting up and out of the water, stuff like that.

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the instructions.
This sounds fun! I can't wait for spring break!:cool:

Steamin' Rice
02-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Get a wide slalom ski and give it a shot. Keep your arms straight while getting up or you will fall on your back evertime. I have seen tons of people get up, pull their arms in, and fall right on their backs. Also, keep your knees bent while getting up and push with your back leg. It feels like it takes forever to get up, but once you get the hang of it it's not too bad. We have taught a bunch of people how to ski on a single ski and they have been able to pick it up. It will help if you boat has enough power to pull you out of the water quickly, otherwise you will drag for a long time which is no fun.....

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Ummm, I'm standing here and trying to figure out which foot goes forward?:confused:
-The boat has plenty of power(did I just say that?) and I think the difficult part will be hanging on and getting the driver to go easy on the gas.:eek:

biggercb
02-27-2004, 04:47 PM
be a man
dont worry about learning to ski on skis
learn to ski barefoot
chicks dig it

Sleek-Jet
02-27-2004, 04:55 PM
Ummm, I'm standing here and trying to figure out which foot goes forward?:confused:
-The boat has plenty of power(did I just say that?) and I think the difficult part will be hanging on and getting the driver to go easy on the gas.:eek:
Which ever feels comfortable. I ski with my left foot forward. Try putting the ski on and see which way feels right.

Steamin' Rice
02-27-2004, 04:56 PM
If you skateboard or surf, use the same foot forward as when you ski...
If not, try to crouch down low with one foot in front of the other and reverse the location of yuor feet. One will feel more stable than the other, which is how I would give it a shot. I don't think it necessarily correclates to being right or left handed....

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 05:01 PM
Looks like I'm a left foot forward:)

mirvin
02-27-2004, 05:01 PM
If you're talking about a single ski your front foot should be whichever you put forward on a skateboard or surfboard. If you've never done either of those then it won't matter which foot is forward. Do what feels natural. Switch if it;s not working.
The wakeboard won't matter cuz it goes both ways, just like Jackpunx:p ;) :D
I would suggest having someone with you who knows what they're doing. Also to drive the boat. Very important to have a driver who knows how to pull a skier.
Mirvin;)

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 05:02 PM
The wakeboard won't matter cuz it goes both ways, just like Jackpunx
:D :D :D :D :D

mirvin
02-27-2004, 05:04 PM
I think I just lost my speed run:frown:

Sleek-Jet
02-27-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
I would suggest having someone with you who knows what they're doing. Also to drive the boat. Very important to have a driver who knows how to pull a skier.
Mirvin;)
Yep, I'll say it agian as well, get a good driver who knows how to pull skiers.
Yes, it's that important.

burtandnancy
02-27-2004, 05:29 PM
fourspeednup, jump in your vehicle and race over to Havasu tonight or tomarrow at the latest. You will see the worlds best water skiers racing the old course from Havasu City (Thompson Bay) to Havasu Springs and back. This track hasn't been used for years and is this years first marathon; 50 milers, 75 milers and a 25 mile mini. You won't be skiing like these guys and gals for a while, but you'll see some awesome athletes, great skiing style, unbelievable boats and the pits are open and free. You're just a few hours away and the weather will be great. give it a try...

welk2party
02-27-2004, 05:43 PM
Ski for me please. Wakeboarding is easier until you try doing the tricks and eat it. I have faceplanted and landed harder wakeboarding than my worst spill skiing.:cool:

MudPumper
02-27-2004, 06:04 PM
I've never skied before since as a kid we boated on casitas(no body contact) but now that I have my own boat I want to learn before I get any older. Is there any chance I could start on a single ski? There is a nice one at the river house already.:cool:
I learned on a Single and have never tried doubles. It might help if you start with a double handle rope. By putting the ski in the V of the double handles it will help keep your ski from tipping sideways. That is how I learned and then when I got the hang of starting, I went to a single handle rope. Good luck.

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by burtandnancy
fourspeednup, jump in your vehicle and race over to Havasu tonight or tomarrow at the latest. You will see the worlds best water skiers racing the old course from Havasu City (Thompson Bay) to Havasu Springs and back. This track hasn't been used for years and is this years first marathon; 50 milers, 75 milers and a 25 mile mini. You won't be skiing like these guys and gals for a while, but you'll see some awesome athletes, great skiing style, unbelievable boats and the pits are open and free. You're just a few hours away and the weather will be great. give it a try...
75 miles! Wow, I don't even like driving in a car that distance;)
Those dedicated ski race boats are too cool:cool:
I'd love to head out there this weekend but being a full time student I have to budget my $$$ for spring break in March.:frown:

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by MudPumper
I learned on a Single and have never tried doubles. It might help if you start with a double handle rope. By putting the ski in the V of the double handles it will help keep your ski from tipping sideways. That is how I learned and then when I got the hang of starting, I went to a single handle rope. Good luck.
Do you mean the tip of the ski is physically in the V while you are sitting in the water? I was thinking it would be very difficult to not roll over to one side.:confused:

MudPumper
02-28-2004, 02:04 PM
Yes, the tip of the ski sits in the center of the v of the double handles, helps you to ballance while starting, then ounce you get the hang of that, go to a single handle.